Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How Microsoft should have executed "Metro"

  1. #1

    How Microsoft should have executed "Metro"


    So, I've been using Ubuntu now for a couple days, and let me tell you, I am very, very happy with it. (Especially with it being free.)
    There are so many features that are better than Windows, I'm not going to list all of them, but a few are Dash Home, and Snapshots. In Windows, you have to take the screenshop, and paste it into MS Paint or whatever, and then save it. But Ubuntu automatically says, "Hey man, you took a screenshot. Where do you wanna save it?"
    Anyway, this is a bit off topic, so allow me to get back on subject.

    NOTE: this is not in anyway a thread bashing Microsoft.

    Metro...Metro...What the ****, Microsoft? Ok, you wanted to get rid of the Start button, and Start menu. Ok. Understood. But why did you have to make it separate from the desktop? OH, you wanted to make it work for tablets too? Well, here is (in my opinion,) how MS should have executed their fullscreen Start menu with Metro apps.

    Dash Home is essentially the Start menu of Ubuntu. It's full screen. It's everything you could want. AND it would be a lot better than throwing users out of the Desktop to search for something or launching a non-metro app. OK, so...I guess you're thinking "But the fullscreen metro apps wouldn't work like that..."
    Well, here's what I'm proposing, MS have a "fullscreen start menu," like Dash Home, AND have a separate page/screen/whatever for Metro apps.
    Why? Because no one wants to go to the ****ing Metro side of Windows just to launch a legacy app that's not shortcutted on the desktop or startbar.

    For reference, here is a screenshot of Dash Home:



    Also terribly sorry if this doesn't make sense, I'm a bit drunk right now and felt the need to rant lol.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    BELGIUM
    Posts : 503
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64


    "here's what I'm proposing, MS have a "fullscreen start menu," like Dash Home, AND have a separate page/screen/whatever for Metro apps."



    But isn't that what it is right now?

    Jeff
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    Quote Originally Posted by jeffrys View Post
    "here's what I'm proposing, MS have a "fullscreen start menu," like Dash Home, AND have a separate page/screen/whatever for Metro apps."



    But isn't that what it is right now?

    Jeff
    Nope, because it kicks you out of the desktop, and what I said was a different place for Metro and Start.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    Posts : 142
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)


    I have an older build of Ubuntu, version 5, I think.

    Works well and is fairly problem-free for what I do on it.

    The GUI, obviously, is nothing flash compared to later versions, or Win Vista/Win 7.

    But it does carp on Win 8 from a considerable height.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    I have an older build of Ubuntu, version 5, I think.

    Works well and is fairly problem-free for what I do on it.

    The GUI, obviously, is nothing flash compared to later versions, or Win Vista/Win 7.

    But it does carp on Win 8 from a considerable height.
    Does ver. 5 have Dash Home? Just wondering, because I haven't used an old version like that. I'm currently using 12.04.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Offhand, I think Metro should have been implemented as a subsystem of the desktop, not the other way around. In other words, if you want to run Metro and its a applications you launch metro from the desktop. On systems where the user wants to use Metro exclusively (such as a tablet) a simple start-up option could have been included to launch Metro by default. This way, Microsoft could have left Windows as everyone has become accustomed to it alone. In fact, they could probably have released the thing as a service-pack to Win7!

    I'm not suggesting at-all that some of the underpinnings of the O/S might have needed reworking. However putting the desktop in as a "background" system is making a statement: one that I don't think will be universally accepted.

    The other thing I dislike is the dull, colorless GUI that they're moving [everything] to. Oh yeah, I really want to see flat gray featureless icons that my eyes can't focus on instead of the nice 24-bit color detailed icons. NOT!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 5,360
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin


    How Microsoft should have executed "Metro"

    Take it out the back and shoot it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    I've tried out Ubuntu 11 and I thought that was odd, it was like a genuine visual styled start menu and not a screen. Honestly, I at first wanted the Start Screen to overlay on the Desktop and darken the wallpaper on it and have all the tiles fly in. But in retrospect, if they did that, it would scream LINUX as some variants do that. Start Screen is different that way.



    "I'm a little drunk right now." Awesome!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    Adelaide
    Posts : 1,338
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 17.1 MATE (64 bit)

    Win + PrtSc


    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBstard View Post
    In Windows, you have to take the screenshop, and paste it into MS Paint or whatever, and then save it. But Ubuntu automatically says, "Hey man, you took a screenshot. Where do you wanna save it?"
    In Windows 7 (and Vista?) you can use the "Snipping Tool" instead of "PrtSc" (or "Alt + PrtSc").

    In Windows 8 you can also use "Win + PrtSc" to take screenshots.
    IIRC, it automatically saves them in the Pictures folder.

    Then, a new feature in Windows 8.

    Win + Prt Scrn to take the entire screen and save it directly in your Pictures folder in PNG format. The saved picture is named as Screenshot(x).png, in which the X is a number that is available for the new file.
    Windows 8 Guide: How To Take Screenshots
    Windows 8 Guide: How To Take Screenshots | Windows7hacker
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    Quote Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenBstard View Post
    In Windows, you have to take the screenshop, and paste it into MS Paint or whatever, and then save it. But Ubuntu automatically says, "Hey man, you took a screenshot. Where do you wanna save it?"
    In Windows 7 (and Vista?) you can use the "Snipping Tool" instead of "PrtSc" (or "Alt + PrtSc").

    In Windows 8 you can also use "Win + PrtSc" to take screenshots.
    IIRC, it automatically saves them in the Pictures folder.

    Then, a new feature in Windows 8.

    Win + Prt Scrn to take the entire screen and save it directly in your Pictures folder in PNG format. The saved picture is named as Screenshot(x).png, in which the X is a number that is available for the new file.
    Windows 8 Guide: How To Take Screenshots
    Windows 8 Guide: How To Take Screenshots | Windows7hacker
    Well, I did know about Snipping Tool, but it's (a bit) more of a hastle than pressing one button.
    And, I didn't know about Win + Prnt Scrn, so thanks for that little tip!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
How Microsoft should have executed "Metro"
Related Threads
Hi all, So I'm kind of stuck.. I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of "loading files" -> "Windows Boot Manager" (see: How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows 8 (The Easy Way)). I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load. I also end up at...
When I play a game that changes my resolution and then leave the game, the Start interface is still at the games resolution. I have manually changed the resolutions to see if it would changed back but it is still stuck. The only way that I've found to change it back is to log off then back on. ...
http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/story/70/00/006526/build2012logo.png Read more: Microsoft Design Language: The newest official way to refer to 'Metro' | ZDNet
Read more at: Microsoft: “Metro” out, “Windows 8-style UI” in, amid rumors of a trademark dispute | Ars Technica
I upgraded to the CP a few days ago and just noticed a huge problem. The "Show Desktop" tile that is normally on the start screen be default has gone missing. I can't figure out how I got rid of it in the first place, but is there some way to add it back? EDIT: I have changed the title to more...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook