3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
haha,

I like metro....because it helps me with my work

on the taskbar you have Explorer, but you can only attach about 10 folders to it. This is not enough for me, so created everything I use in the metro. The only thing I left there is the desktop icon, the others are mine.

When I hit Explorer and a folder that I need to open, then I sometimes have to do this 4 time, so all together 5 clicks to get where I wanna be.

Those shortcuts are created in Metro, so I go to Metro, click a 2d time and I am where I wanna be.

Now one can put all the folders on the desktop.....like in Windows 98, one can overcome this, but who wants that.

No thanks, I use the Metro and again where everything I open puts me back on the desktop. So no app's for me.

And yes, I said this on different occasions, but apparently nobody reads it.

So please let the Metro where it is, only some minor adjustments are needed, for me anyway.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
So please let the Metro where it is, only some minor adjustments are needed, for me anyway.
Many of us didn't say that MS should dump the Metro. Many of us just wanted to have an option to have it disabled or enabled at will, with the ability to boot to the Desktop without any additional click and have a full Desktop mode. If we have this option, it wouldn't harm you at all because you could still use it the way you do now.

We just wanted this choice of disabling or skipping the Metro for a new OS because the system currently doesn't work well for us as much as it does for you. IT BLOCKS THE DESKTOP AND ITS ALWAYS FULL SCREEN on single monitors. If we we have this option to disable/enable Metro, we would be more pleased to use Windows 8 and you could still use it the way you do right now. In this case, everyone wins, except those inside MS who are trying to push this close-minded idea.

Why is it so hard for fanboys like you to understand this and insist that what you see now is close to perfection?

You say that people don't read your posts? Have you tried reading carefully the posts of concerned people on this forum that has a plethora of mixed opinions on Windows 8?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Built
on the taskbar you have Explorer, but you can only attach about 10 folders to it. This is not enough for me, so created everything I use in the metro. The only thing I left there is the desktop icon, the others are mine.

When I hit Explorer and a folder that I need to open, then I sometimes have to do this 4 time, so all together 5 clicks to get where I wanna be.

Those shortcuts are created in Metro, so I go to Metro, click a 2d time and I am where I wanna be.

I don't understand how you're counting clicks. I guess you're talking about the Explorer jumplists, so you click on the Explorer icon and select a folder from the menu that appears. That's two clicks per folder. To use the Metro start screen, you have to use the Windows key and then click an item there, so that's two clicks per folder. The big difference is the jarring transitions in and out of Metro.

That said, I got you beat both in number of clicks and number of folders. I have a dozen folders inside a toolbar on my multi-row taskbar. One click each to open, no fiddling with menus, and no jarring screen transitions.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
no Crawfish,

in my folders (so second click via the taskbar OR metro), I have subfolders, too many to put on the taskbar, so then I need more clicks to open each subfolder.

But on the metro I can put the subfolder on the screen, so I need only 2 clicks.

Vertex, the metro is full screen and that is 1 of the adjustments I ment.

And yes long time ago I mentioned on the board that MS should give the installer the possibility to personalize Windows to his needs.

I don't say Win 8 is close to perfection, but I do say this is the best we ever did get.

Sure it is not perfect, but hé Office 2010 or 2013 is not perfect either.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Yes, you can use it like a folder full of shortcuts.

Shame it opens full screen.

haha,

I like metro....because it helps me with my work

Now one can put all the folders on the desktop.....like in Windows 98, one can overcome this, but who wants that.

No thanks, I use the Metro and again where everything I open puts me back on the desktop. So no app's for me.

And yes, I said this on different occasions, but apparently nobody reads it.

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
no Crawfish,

in my folders (so second click via the taskbar OR metro), I have subfolders, too many to put on the taskbar, so then I need more clicks to open each subfolder.

But on the metro I can put the subfolder on the screen, so I need only 2 clicks.

FWIW, 6 of the 12 folders in my toolbar-on-the-taskbar are folders of shortcuts. They basically represent a flattened Start Menu, but they are much easier to get to, and once one is opened, it stays open until closed, so there is no repeated navigation through submenus. They are reminiscent of the old Program Manager folders, but you could put whatever you want in them. It's basically what you're doing with Metro except I stay within the desktop environment. My most commonly used programs are pinned to the taskbar, of course. The other 6 folders in the toolbar are shortcuts to some frequently accessed folders. I have a few more in the Explorer Favorites area of the Explorer sidebar. A few more are bound to hotkeys with Autohotkey.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Use a Jump List

no Crawfish,

You could try using Jump Lists.

Click picture for animation.
7718d1344572729-official-post-your-rtm-screenshots-here-jump-list.gif

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Siw2, you lost me here. No in the metro everything I open is half screen or less, since only my folders I use are on it and some system folders like control panel, run, etc.

see my prtscrn, every program opens has I want it to open, so no full screen.

Jeffsmall screens.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Siw2, you lost me here. No in the metro everything I open is half screen or less, since only my folders I use are on it and some system folders like control panel, run, etc.

see my prtscrn, every program opens has I want it to open, so no full screen.

JeffView attachment 7736
Seems like you purposely made this screenshot to look multitasking look ugly on the legacy Desktop. Interesting why not one of them at least is maximized such as a web browser. :dinesh:

No point opening Adobe Reader when no PDF file is opened, unlikely time to play Spider Solataire while web browsing, and why open IE when you've got Chrome running or vice versa? And why are the web browsers not maximized? An experienced Desktop user would very rarely have that many programs all unmaximized, all lying around the screen at the same time.

I would personally hit the Show Desktop button which is now hidden on the far right of the Taskbar then let IE or Chrome as the only maximized program. Close Spider Solataire and Adobe Reader. That solves the clutter. Then install Classic Shell of course.

On the Metro apps, only two of them can be displayed at the same screen at once and always one is bigger than the other. They are always mostly unresizable. Of course opening the Metro Screen to open legacy programs will always block my view of the Desktop at some point and it gets jarring the switching back and forth from the Metro Screen and Desktop. Many have to thank Classic Shell for that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Custom Built
Vertex,

I opened everything in the metro at random. It works as I show it. I only opened some to let it be seen. I never open this at the same time.

And no my IE is never full screen, with my 26 inch monitor I do not need to.

And yes you decide for yourself how big the program is when opened via metro. If you open let's say IE and a full screen pops up, you can minimize this to the size you want and the next time you open this via Metro you will get THAT size.

There was no intention to cover the taskbar.

True metro apps are a pain, that is why I do not use them. They are removed from the metro since I do not need them.

Your view is only blocked by MS apps, which in fact you do not really need. But if YOU do need them, keep on using them

Jeff

"Seems like you purposely made this screenshot to look multitasking look ugly on the legacy Desktop." ?????????????????????????

You must be joking....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
"Seems like you purposely made this screenshot to look multitasking look ugly on the legacy Desktop." ?????????????????????????

You must be joking....
No I wasnt joking, but it all looked messy, messier than most people would prefer to have it viewed so it gave me a suspicion.

I do not think that Metro apps or whatever they want to call it are all bad. Just not well designed and blended into the system. They do need a close button (X) to make it more obvious on how to close them.

And with your 26 inch monitor, do you find it more convenient to launch legacy programs from the Start Screen?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Custom Built
AGAIN, I was only showing that whatever I open in Metro DOES NOT USE THE FULL SCREEN.

Well it is faster through the Metro, thanks for that.

If you really think that with what I showed, that I work like that....PLEASE

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V