Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


How to make an ISO of a bootable USB flash drive?

  1. #11


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    To answer what you intend to do. The easiest way to make an ISO from the USB stick:
    1. Download: PortableAppZ: UltraISO 9.6.2.3059 Multilingual
    2. Run Ultra ISO and open the USB stick with file explorer, select all, drag and drop into Ultra ISO then File->Save as ISO.


    Click image for larger version

    NOTE: If you can not use drag & Drop, then click on Actions->Add Directory then select the USB

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #12


    Posts : 241
    Windows 8.1x64 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    To answer what you intend to do. The easiest way to make an ISO from the USB stick:
    1. Download: PortableAppZ: UltraISO 9.6.2.3059 Multilingual
    2. Run Ultra ISO and open the USB stick with file explorer, select all, drag and drop into Ultra ISO then File->Save as ISO.
    If the ISO created using the procedure you describe is "burned" back to a USB flash drive (using UltraISO, Rufus, or any other app), will that USB flash drive be bootable? Will it be a clone of the original flash drive?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #13


    Iso burned back should be exactly same as it was before making it. Exact copy bit by bit, bootable if it was before.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #14


    Posts : 241
    Windows 8.1x64 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by CountMike View Post
    Iso burned back should be exactly same as it was before making it. Exact copy bit by bit, bootable if it was before.
    Reason I asked is that many times when you create an ISO of a bootable media, and depending on the app used, you need to go into Advanced Options and specify to include the boot sector files, otherwise the ISO created will not be bootable, just a copy of the files.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #15


    Program I gave you link to, makes exact copy of whole content of the USB, together with BOOT sector but in .BIN format although it can burn .ISI and .IMG format. There is an option to mage only BOOT sector but I haven't tried that. Another good program is PowerISO but I don't think it's free.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #16


    San Jose - California
    Posts : 2,847
    8.1x64PWMC Ubuntu14.04x64 MintMate17x64


    Quote Originally Posted by antares View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by topgundcp View Post
    To answer what you intend to do. The easiest way to make an ISO from the USB stick:
    1. Download: PortableAppZ: UltraISO 9.6.2.3059 Multilingual
    2. Run Ultra ISO and open the USB stick with file explorer, select all, drag and drop into Ultra ISO then File->Save as ISO.
    If the ISO created using the procedure you describe is "burned" back to a USB flash drive (using UltraISO, Rufus, or any other app), will that USB flash drive be bootable? Will it be a clone of the original flash drive?
    No problem with that. You can even use Winzip/Winrar to unzip it to the USB drive and it'll boot.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How to make an ISO of a bootable USB flash drive?
Related Threads
Hello, I wanted to create a bootable USB flash drive, and I saw that some flash drive aren't bootbale, like the one that I have, a SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0. (I saw in the reviews on Amazon so I didn't even try). Is there a list of bootable flash drives I can use to create an installation media...
How to Create a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive for Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 This tutorial will show you how to create a Windows 7 or Windows 8 or 8.1 installation bootable USB flash drive for UEFI from either a Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 installation ISO or DVD. ...
What size flash drive do I need?
Solved UEFI Bootable USB Flash Drive in General Support
USB Flash Drive has to be in GPT?
here is my problem---I have a hp 475 homeserver with new upgrades. i'm trying to install windows home server 2011 on it. I want to put the whole sys on a bootable flash drive and install that way. so my question is will someone hold my hand and walk me thru step by step. I have ms dvd tool and...
I would like to make a flash drive bootable and I have looked at the utility that HP has called USB Disk Storage Format Tool and every place I have looked to find how to install and use it, the instructions that I have seen do not show up for me when I run the program. Has anyone used the tool or...
Solved How do I make my USB drive bootable? in Installation & Setup
I tried the sys command which used to work under older operating systems. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook