Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Thinking of going back to Windows 7

  1. #41


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    Like what? I'm just curious so I can replicate it.
    Actually, just about ANYTHING I enter in search comes back with nothing found.

    I've tried simple things like app names -- can't find them, even though, on the all apps screen, they are clearly visible.

    I forgot how to launch Windows Update, so I entered that in the search -- and -- it couldn't find it.

    Then today, I got a notice in the task bar that there were Office 2013 updates. I let it expire because I was busy. When I went back, it was gone. So, I opened Search and enter "Office Update" -- and again, like with everything else, it said it couldn't find anything!

    So, for me, Search is completely useless!!

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #42


    I'm guessing your problem is you didn't know you were suppose to pick what to search for. Below the search box are the various things you can search for. You need to select the right one. For example, if you're searching for a file, you need to select file. If you're searching for an app, you need to select app. If you're searching for an ebay item, you need to select ebay.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Untitled.png  
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #43


    [QUOTE=goodintentions;237819]
    Quote Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
    But suppose that I am trying to prove him wrong. So what? Suppose I like dairy queen. Suppose everyone I know likes dairy queen, particularly in the summer. Then one day I bump into someone that says dairy queen tastes like poop. He goes around telling people dairy queen tastes like poop. Wouldn't you be the least bit curious what he ordered or what he ate that made him think this way?
    Well, basically, in order to "prove me wrong" -- you would have to be standing here while I do a search and deny what I am clearly seeing on the screen -- which, of course, you can not do. Even if it works for you, which it apparently does, that still does not help me. So, it's still not proving me "wrong".

    The to-each-his-own only works to a certain point. This is a tech website. Making a general tech statement, especially one with technical nature in it, requires more description than just a typical "it sux" proclamation.
    I did NOT say that win8 "sux"; instead, I said that Search does not work -- for me. Claiming that something fails on MY PC is an entirely different thing than claiming it fails in general -- and I have NEVER said that Search fails in general. It doesn't work on my PC; in fact, from the day I installed Win8, it never worked on my PC -- which was the main reason I searched around for alternative ways of finding stuff.

    Furthermore, if you can provide some Search examples that always work for you, I will be happy to try them myself.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #44


    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I'm guessing your problem is you didn't know you were suppose to pick what to search for...
    For your information, I DO know how to do a search -- and as I already said, when I enter an App name and I'm on the Apps page, it still can NOT find the app!

    BY telling me that I don't know how to do something, YOU are turning my comment into a series of personal attacks on me -- and not only is that RUDE, it's (AFAIK) against the rules of this forum.

    Please cease and desist from insulting me. It's not appropriate conduct here.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #45


    North Carolina
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8 64-bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goodintentions View Post
    I'm guessing your problem is you didn't know you were suppose to pick what to search for...
    For your information, I DO know how to do a search -- and as I already said, when I enter an App name and I'm on the Apps page, it still can NOT find the app!

    BY telling me that I don't know how to do something, YOU are turning my comment into a series of personal attacks on me -- and not only is that RUDE, it's (AFAIK) against the rules of this forum.

    Please cease and desist from insulting me. It's not appropriate conduct here.
    I don't see any insult in his post. He suggested your problem may be that you did not know how to perform a search using Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #46


    To be fair, I wasn't trying to be insulting. When I got windows 8 for the first time months ago, my dumbass made this mistake. My friends had already told me how fast the search function was in windows 8. So, when I tried to do a search, nothing ever showed up.

    This is why I suggested it.

    Other than that, I don't know what else would have caused you to not find what you wanted. Myself and many others have no problem with the search function.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #47


    Please stop with the similies, they don't help anyone.

    I also would like to know what exactly does not work in Search, and which Search in particular.

    Here is an example of search not working: Windows 8 search is not working properly.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #48


    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    I also would like to know what exactly does not work in Search, and which Search in particular.
    Many thanks for the linked thread -- that is nearly identical to my experience. I have done all of those things (except refresh) and Search still does not find anything. At least NOW, I know I'm not the only person in the world for which Search does not work!

    Example: On Win7, if I want to run Windows Update, all I have to do is enter "Win" in the Start area and it will list out a bunch of items, one of which is Windows Update. On Win8, I open the All Apps page, enter "Win" or "Windows" or "Windows Update" -- and it finds NOTHING. I can even look through the list of installed apps, find one that exists, enter something like "Excel" -- and it still finds nothing.

    I'm happy for all of you for whom Search works -- it just doesn't work for me.

    UPDATE: Just for grins, I tried doing a search using Start8, and just like with Win7, THAT search works fine. I enter "win" and get a bunch of results, one of which is Windows Update. So, it's the Search from the Start screen (and other Metro screens) that does not work.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #49


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I've tried simple things like app names -- can't find them, even though, on the all apps screen, they are clearly visible.
    Hmmm....that is strange. Things like "calc" or "paint" do not show in your search results?

    Perhaps this Microsoft Fix It utility can resolve your issue;
    Fix Windows Desktop Search when it crashes or not showing results

    Here is a suggestion: Open Control Panel, search for Troubleshooting, go into Systems and Security, click on Search and Indexing, click on Advanced, click on Run As Administrator and and check "Apply repairs automatically".

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    I forgot how to launch Windows Update, so I entered that in the search -- and -- it couldn't find it.
    Yeah, Windows update is not an application, so it won't show up. You have to search for Control Panel and then go into there and launch Windows Update.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #50


    North Carolina
    Posts : 13
    Windows 8 64-bit OEM


    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ztruker View Post
    I also would like to know what exactly does not work in Search, and which Search in particular.
    Many thanks for the linked thread -- that is nearly identical to my experience. I have done all of those things (except refresh) and Search still does not find anything. At least NOW, I know I'm not the only person in the world for which Search does not work!

    Example: On Win7, if I want to run Windows Update, all I have to do is enter "Win" in the Start area and it will list out a bunch of items, one of which is Windows Update. On Win8, I open the All Apps page, enter "Win" or "Windows" or "Windows Update" -- and it finds NOTHING. I can even look through the list of installed apps, find one that exists, enter something like "Excel" -- and it still finds nothing.

    I'm happy for all of you for whom Search works -- it just doesn't work for me.

    UPDATE: Just for grins, I tried doing a search using Start8, and just like with Win7, THAT search works fine. I enter "win" and get a bunch of results, one of which is Windows Update. So, it's the Search from the Start screen (and other Metro screens) that does not work.
    I honestly would just get Start8, its search function works just like Windows7. I have only used the Windows8 search feature 1 or 2 times.

    NEVER MIND---Did not read your update lol.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Thinking of going back to Windows 7
Related Threads
Hi, i currently have 2 monitors set up. one 20" 1600x900 and one 21.5" 1920x1080 display. The thing is when i try playing. like minecraft for example i try dragging out the window over 2 monitors, but i have a pretty big line on the 1080P monitor that is not covered. i just wonder if i can make...
Thinking of upgrading to 8.1 in Installation & Setup
I have windows 7 Home Edition on desktop and same for my laptop. How much would it cost to go to win8 on laptop and would it be worth it? I know Have to back up laptop buy and download win8 then download 8.1 or is there a cheaper way to do this? Is there anything I forgot or need to know...
Hello, Today I brought my laptop to work for the first time so I could access files at home without dropbox. At work, there were many applications I had to download, and some of them were manual installations. Most of the day was spent looking for ways to download the programs because windows 8...
I've got this one program that's essential to using my laptop: it's for connecting to the WiFi at my university. I was set to use W8 as my main OS on the laptop, but without that I'm stuck with XP. The problem is that the program detects what OS I'm using, and it doesn't detect W8 (it calls it...
So, I've been thinking about giving Windows 8 a try (once the Consumer Preview rolls out February 29th), but a have a few questions before going through with this: - How does the licensing works on an Beta/Developer-Consumer preview build? is there a 30-day window? how does it works? - Are...
Source - http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/sinofsky-the-thinking-behind-windows-8-661151?src=rss&attr=newspc
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook