Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Unable to enter Safe Mode

  1. #1


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64

    Unable to enter Safe Mode


    Hi,

    Entered safe mode a few months ago no problem. Using Windows 8 Pro.

    Tried to get into safe mode today but have a problem.

    I have tried all the various permutations to get into safe mode (ms config, start up options etc.).

    This is what happens: I use MS Config or one of the other ways (tried them all!) to get into safe mode. The computer seems to be booting into safe mode when I get a blue screen (not BSOD) which pops up and very quickly disappears, and then the computer reboots normally (into Windows 8). The screen says something like 'Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart'. I am not totally sure as it is too quick!

    Any thoughts?

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #2


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8.1 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
    Hi,

    Entered safe mode a few months ago no problem. Using Windows 8 Pro.

    Tried to get into safe mode today but have a problem.

    I have tried all the various permutations to get into safe mode (ms config, start up options etc.).

    This is what happens: I use MS Config or one of the other ways (tried them all!) to get into safe mode. The computer seems to be booting into safe mode when I get a blue screen (not BSOD) which pops up and very quickly disappears, and then the computer reboots normally (into Windows 8). The screen says something like 'Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart'. I am not totally sure as it is too quick!

    Any thoughts?
    Restart your PC then hold the shift key whilst hitting F8, click "see advanced repair options then troubleshoot, then advanced options, then windows start up settings. Click restart then you will get a list of options select thge one you want and you should be good to go!!!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #3


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by xXEightXx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
    Hi,

    Entered safe mode a few months ago no problem. Using Windows 8 Pro.

    Tried to get into safe mode today but have a problem.

    I have tried all the various permutations to get into safe mode (ms config, start up options etc.).

    This is what happens: I use MS Config or one of the other ways (tried them all!) to get into safe mode. The computer seems to be booting into safe mode when I get a blue screen (not BSOD) which pops up and very quickly disappears, and then the computer reboots normally (into Windows 8). The screen says something like 'Windows has encountered a problem and needs to restart'. I am not totally sure as it is too quick!

    Any thoughts?
    Restart your PC then hold the shift key whilst hitting F8, click "see advanced repair options then troubleshoot, then advanced options, then windows start up settings. Click restart then you will get a list of options select thge one you want and you should be good to go!!!
    I think this is the same as using '%SystemRoot%\System32\shutdown.exe /r /o /f /t 00', which I have already tried.
    As I said I have tried all the ways to get into safe mode, it is that it will not load!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #4


    1. Insert a Windows 8 DVD, or a flash drive with the Windows 8 installation files on it, into your computer.

      Tip: You can borrow someone else's Windows 8 disc or other media if you need to. You're not installing or reinstalling Windows 8, you're just accessing Advanced Startup Options - no product key or license breaking required.
    2. Boot from the disc or boot from the USB device, whatever your situation calls for.
    3. From the Windows Setup screen, tap or click on Next.
    4. Tap or click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom of the window.
    5. Advanced Startup Options will start, almost immediately.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #5


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Quote Originally Posted by orlandotek View Post
    1. Insert a Windows 8 DVD, or a flash drive with the Windows 8 installation files on it, into your computer.

      Tip: You can borrow someone else's Windows 8 disc or other media if you need to. You're not installing or reinstalling Windows 8, you're just accessing Advanced Startup Options - no product key or license breaking required.
    2. Boot from the disc or boot from the USB device, whatever your situation calls for.
    3. From the Windows Setup screen, tap or click on Next.
    4. Tap or click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom of the window.
    5. Advanced Startup Options will start, almost immediately.
    Booting from Windows 8 disc into Advanced Startup Options does not give me an option of safe mode.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #6


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    I have run sfc /scannow and that has found a problem and repaired it.
    Ran it again just to be sure and no errors found.
    Tried to get into safe mode - same result!

    The funny thing is that I tried to get into safe mode on my wife's laptop (Win8 Pro), and it had exactly the same result as my desktop!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #7


    Posts : 80
    Windows 8.1 64 bit


    Quote Originally Posted by lafargeotte View Post
    I have run sfc /scannow and that has found a problem and repaired it.
    Ran it again just to be sure and no errors found.
    Tried to get into safe mode - same result!

    The funny thing is that I tried to get into safe mode on my wife's laptop (Win8 Pro), and it had exactly the same result as my desktop!
    Why do you want to get into Safe Mode?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #8


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    I want to be able to access in case!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #9


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    Has nobody any idea why safe mode will not load?
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #10


    France
    Posts : 52
    Windows 8 Pro x64


    I seem to have figured it out.

    I uninstalled a program called EASEUS Todo Backup Advanced Server v5 0, and then after a reboot I was able to access Safe Mode.

    It seems that this program must interfere with the boot process!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Unable to enter Safe Mode
Related Threads
I just recently installed the Windows 8.1 update earlier today. Immediately after the required restart, my computer has not been working properly. As soon as I log on, the desktop flashes back and forth from the desktop picture to the color of the menu background. It flashes back and forth pretty...
I am unable to get out of safe mode in Windows 8.1. I have tried everything, but it keeps asking me for a password when I only have a PIN. Any ideas?
Hi everyone I am facing a strange issue. My screen seems to have a grey filter overlaying it. See attached. When i booted it in safe mode, the screen is showing the right vibrant colors. When i booted it back to normal mode, the screen is greyish but strangely the mouse is showing the...
My dad restored his computer to its factory settings while Windows 8 was in safe mode, attempting to remove a virus, and now every time the computer is booted, an error message appears, saying that Windows is not able to install because safe mode is still active. Is there a way to disable safe mode...
Hi, I'm in the SH@£ here good and proper! I am trying to run sfc /scannow to try and fix my boot problem but I keep getting "windows resource protection could not start the repair service" I have found a few threads that mention this but they go off on a tangent and do not deal with what I...
Hi all, About a week ago I ran into this issue: My machine won't fully shut down and it won't enter sleep mode without crashing. When I boot back up it gives me an error report and said that it didn't shut down properly. I tried doing a system restore to before this happened and it is still...
I've had this computer less than a week. It tried to do an update and keeps getting stuck at 12%. Researching online, I've found ways to put it into safe mode but none work. Please help.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook