Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Why they designed Windows 8 the way they did

  1. #61


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Eight cents says the modern will win over the older familiar, as has been the trend since the dawn of man.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #62


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Eight cents says the modern will win over the older familiar, as has been the trend since the dawn of man.
    Maybe not:

    MediaCom Edinburgh >> Does new technology always win?

    War and Technology - FPRI

    Also, barely anything created today is new, it's just a refinement of what has been in use for a very long time.

    For example, cooking is one of my favourite activities and I still prefer to cook on a camp fire than in an oven. Since the dawn of man, that's how it's been done. Some think that you can actually cook with a microwave oven.

    I'll bet seven (a good number in both Chinese and Western cultures) cents that Microsoft will capitulate and revise Windows 8 to accommodate many of the gripes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #63


    Posts : 5,707
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Eight cents says the modern will win over the older familiar, as has been the trend since the dawn of man.
    Maybe not:

    MediaCom Edinburgh >> Does new technology always win?

    War and Technology - FPRI

    Also, barely anything created today is new, it's just a refinement of what has been in use for a very long time.

    For example, cooking is one of my favourite activities and I still prefer to cook on a camp fire than in an oven. Since the dawn of man, that's how it's been done. Some think that you can actually cook with a microwave oven.

    I'll bet seven (a good number in both Chinese and Western cultures) cents that Microsoft will capitulate and revise Windows 8 to accommodate many of the gripes.
    Oh Lordy, can we call it a rest on this, as this can LITERALLY go on for months and months and months and months....

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #64


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    You started it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #65


    Cars have a start switch that is used only to start and shut down the engine. Should we get rid of it simply because people use it only once or twice a day? Yeah let's get rid of it and leave the cars engine running on idle! DEAR ME! The people who designed METRO must have been licking toads!
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #66


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I just don't know how one could use touch on a desktop, effectively anyway. I have a dual monitor setup and sit much more than an arm's length from them, so if I tried to use touch, I'd be forever hunched over my desk. Maybe the idea is to cause a whole new generation of medical ailments that need treatment?
    that is a problem and one myself and coke robot have beaten to death and then some, we don't agree with each other on touch in many respects but that's the thing i do have touch just not for the desktop, i have a tv attachment that cost just under 2k when i bought it, turns a 32" tv into a touch screen but i have a mount for it as well.

    the issue with the desktop we went over was the cost to a desktop user to make it usable for extended periods, which in short just means changing your entire desktop environment to suit it and the cost isn't easy to quantify with so little choice of monitors and desks that can make it worth while.

    i understand his point of view and respect it i just don't share it.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #67


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by Coke Robot View Post
    Eight cents says the modern will win over the older familiar, as has been the trend since the dawn of man.
    only if the modern is actually an improvment for the majority, that's also been the case since the dawn of human kind.

    new doesn't always mean better, cars can be used in this example quite well, many cars that are now 10+ years old have features that cars today still don't have below a certain price point, yet those cars cost less at the time than some of these cars do now.
    to get those nice little extra's on a new car ends up costing a lot.

    which isn't such a bad idea now that i think of it, i'll actually pay an extra 25 for an extra in windows 8 that lets me resize apps and open metro on any screen...your move microsoft.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #68


    Posts : 55
    windows 7 x86,7 x64, 8 x64, xp


    I can see people adapting to the new start screen, and the different apps, but there's something that still itches me about win8.. the task bar dicotomy. This, when talking about non-techsavvy people, i mean i still struggle with some older folks that get confused with browser tabs and application's task bar.. i don't even want to think having to explain to them this extra layer that microsoft added .
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #69


    DeLand, FL
    Posts : 380
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit


    Quote Originally Posted by webtax View Post
    I can see people adapting to the new start screen, and the different apps, but there's something that still itches me about win8.. the task bar dicotomy. This, when talking about non-techsavvy people, i mean i still struggle with some older folks that get confused with browser tabs and application's task bar.. i don't even want to think having to explain to them this extra layer that microsoft added .
    My best friend just bought a new laptop for his mother a week or so ago. It came pre-loaded with Windows 8. His first statement to me was that Win8 was "horrible". It took him and his mother a long time to just get the system into a state where she could run things the way she already knew how to do it on her older machine.

    To folks like myself, it's just a simple matter of clicking on "desktop" and going from there. However to a user who has learned how to use the desktop front-end (particularly a non-techie which comprises probably 98% of the users out there) it's turning into a nightmare. Your average user should not have to go through this. Those of us on this board can get some fun out of playing with it and arguing its relative merits or lack-of-same but real people out there are going to be confused as hell.

    There's nothing particularly wrong with the quality of Win8 per-se but Microsoft is going to alienate a tremendously large section of their installed base with such a large paradigm shift. OS/X may pick up some customers as a result of this.

    -Max
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #70


    Posts : 1,770
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64


    That's why I maintain that Microsoft should have made the traditional and new available equally. That way those who are used to the traditional interface would be happy from the get go and have time to investigate and learn the new interface, and take their time in deciding whether they liked it or not.

    The way some defend the opposite view is akin to the old saying: 'The beatings will continue until morale improves.'
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Why they designed Windows 8 the way they did
Related Threads
Just for the giggles? http://youtu.be/Ch5MEJk5ZCQ
...desktops too? I was wondering because perhaps I might get a desktop later on and decide I want to move the RAMs from the laptop into the desktop.
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook