Why they designed Windows 8 the way they did

It doesn't really matter, it's just one of many articles and opinion pieces that highlights issues with Windows 8 that make it unsatisfactory/frustrating for many users/uses. Because some individuals doesn't see it that way, doesn't mean others are wrong.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Three quarters of the article is covering the topics I mentioned. I got bored and didn't finish the rest of it. If three quarters of the article is terrible, I doubt the rest is much better.

Again, right on! You got farther than I did. I looked at the date (October 29) and read the first paragraph, which I thought was completely ludicrous. That was it for me.

I think that's really grasping for straws to post an old article like that.

My early criticisms are perhaps a touch harsh as they were based upon early code and not the finished release.

Hey! Let's eat the cake before it's done baking!

Nonetheless, my initial problem of having core programs, which I need to use for work, not being compatible with Windows 8 still exists.

Well, update your software that is compatible just like older software with other new past OSs. I didn't think my Office 2000 Pro would be compatible with 8. "Please Mr. And Mrs. Microsoft, could you write 8 so that all my older software is compatible?" Geez. Get a life!

Another problem was that the useful apps I was planning to use - e.g. note-taking apps which I would usually use the iPad for - weren't available in the nascent Windows App store.

I see.....A man of patients. I installed one via the Store a week after final release. Besides that, Notepad comes with 8 just as other past OSs. Good grief! I think he was wearing an iPad when writing the article. :D

I didn't want to waste my valuable time after that. Gotta go! Too-a-roo for now......

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
So, one article that some disagree with, without even reading it completely, demolishes any opinion that others may have of shortfalls in Windows 8? Interesting.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Kind of reminds me of that article that was written by a so-called respected journalist that went on about Windows not allowing multiple Windows anymore and that it should be called, "Window", all the while not mentioning the fact that he's talking about Metro and not the Desktop. Those uniformed about 8 would read that and think that we couldn't open multiple windows anymore on the desktop and that he was actually someone to listen to about the subject.

Some people like to spread controversy just for the sake of spreading controversy, regardless of facts. Obviously not every person with a complaint for 8 will do that, but with all the crap out there, it's easy to write off some of the articles people come up with as a long joke.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Professional x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7 920 2.66GHz (OC to 3.8GHz)
    Motherboard
    MSI Pro x58
    Memory
    6GB OCZ Gold
    Graphics Card(s)
    Two GTX 460s in SLI
    Sound Card
    Xonar DX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 21.5" Display
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    PSU
    Corsair 750tx
    Case
    Xclio Windtunnel
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
How good would it have been if you could open apps to a size to suit your needs, place them where you want them and retain that size and location every time you started Windows. Olso, once the apps are in those positions, you could use them without them filling the screen (in case anyone misunderstands what I'm suggesting). And if you wanted to open up a lesser use app, you just went to another start screen, just like you do now (or something like a start button).

And who's to say that in time we won't be able to do that? Microsoft didn't release Windows 3.1 and followed it with WIndows 7, there was an evolution of the OS that occured. This may be Windows 8 but it is Windows 1.0 of the Modern UI, not the be all and end all of what the future will be. Perhaps that is even the reason that Microsoft said they will be having frequent updates rather than their 3 year OS cycle, they realize that changes will be required. I don't remember how many billions they spent on creating Windows 8 but it was done to a stable release and on time with the frame work and infrastructure of the Modern UI. I agree with a number of the issues people are raising but as far as I'm concerned it's an very good 1.0 release that will only get better.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Clearly there will be great variance amongst articles, but this one was reasonably pro-Windows 8; however, it pointed out some quite relevant issues. But it's always easy to shoot the messenger, if you don't like the message.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You started it.:D
Nou.jpg
:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
And who's to say that in time we won't be able to do that? Microsoft didn't release Windows 3.1 and followed it with WIndows 7, there was an evolution of the OS that occured. This may be Windows 8 but it is Windows 1.0 of the Modern UI, not the be all and end all of what the future will be. Perhaps that is even the reason that Microsoft said they will be having frequent updates rather than their 3 year OS cycle, they realize that changes will be required. I don't remember how many billions they spent on creating Windows 8 but it was done to a stable release and on time with the frame work and infrastructure of the Modern UI. I agree with a number of the issues people are raising but as far as I'm concerned it's an very good 1.0 release that will only get better.

But as I stated in another post, why leave something so obvious to future iterations? We already have that capability in Windows 7, but on the desktop. If a Windows 7 Luddite like me can think of such things, couldn't just one engineer out of the 'thousands working on Windows 8' (as suggested in another post) have thought of this? Do it now and floor everyone with something amazing, rather than leave it for Windows 9+.

My Computer

System One

• OS
That's why I maintain that Microsoft should have made the traditional and new available equally. That way those who are used to the traditional interface would be happy from the get go and have time to investigate and learn the new interface, and take their time in deciding whether they liked it or not.

The way some defend the opposite view is akin to the old saying: 'The beatings will continue until morale improves.'

Agreed.

My original viewpoint (as a developer) is that the tablet platform (Metro, Modern - whatever the hell you want to call it) should have been developed as a separate O/S for the tablet/phone devices. Microsoft could then have added development tools and a simulation subsystem to the desktop O/S so a development machine could run both. This way MS could have avoided disturbing the infrastructure already in place. Had they done it that way I don't think they're continued dominance in the desktop market would be in any way questionable.

As it is, the confusion this is generating out there among your "rank and file" user is growing and sales of the platform is dropping. I'm not saying Microsoft will totally fail at this approach, maybe they won't. However I really think Sinofsky and Co. were really blockheaded about the way they did this.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
I am sensing a pattern here. Everyone that claims that Windows 8 is a "nightmare" eventually admits that it's a nightmare because they're trying to turn it into Windows 7. It's not Windows 7. Yes, it will be a nightmare if you refuse to accept Windows 8 for what it is and are constantly trying to make it Windows 7.

So if you want Windows 7, use Windows 7. If you want Windows 8, use Windows 8. Don't try to make Windows 8 into Windows 7 or you will just give yourself headaches.

Fair enough.

However it's the non-techie out there who's used to using the system with the "legacy" interface that's going to have the most trouble (and strongest resistance) to this. I wouldn't be at-all surprised if the installed base of PC's statistically begins to age more than ever now. If my friend's reaction to it is typical I suspect people will hold off on buying new machines longer than they used to. The "gadget crazies" out there may just buy it because it's new, but people who use it for routine WORK (there's that 4-letter word again!) may hold out for quite awhile.

If I were trying to start a PC service business I would smell opportunity here: opportunity to help people maintain their older machines. Let them pay me to keep their existing systems trimmed up and running instead of having to rework everything again.

-Max

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
    Dell Inspiron 17R / Dell XPS 8300
    CPU
    Intel i5 (17R) / Intel i7 (XPS)
    Memory
    8GB / 8GB
Back