Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


Is Start Menu really matter?

  1. #181


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    yeah for some reason i recall 3.1 having a start menu..might have been my memory playing funny with me.
    Nope. The start menu and task bar were introduced with Windows 95. Remember the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up!" campaign? I think they should have kept playing the song... "You make a grown man cry!".

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #182


    Posts : 1,925
    Windows 8.1 Pro


    That's just it. Why should your PC be any different than your TV, Coffee Maker, Phone, Tablet, Car, or pretty much any other device on the planet?

    All of those things are turned on and off with the same mechanism, typically a button or switch of some sort. Microsoft actually WANTS you to use the power button to shut down.

    How do you turn off your phone? How do you turn off your tablet? How do you turn off your TV? These are all things normal everyday non-techy people do with their technology. The PC should be no different.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #183


    Webster NY US
    Posts : 325
    Win 7 / Win 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    That's just it. Why should your PC be any different than your TV, Coffee Maker, Phone, Tablet, Car, or pretty much any other device on the planet?

    All of those things are turned on and off with the same mechanism, typically a button or switch of some sort. Microsoft actually WANTS you to use the power button to shut down.

    How do you turn off your phone? How do you turn off your tablet? How do you turn off your TV? These are all things normal everyday non-techy people do with their technology. The PC should be no different.
    Perhaps when it comes to on/off. But my toaster and my PC serve way different purposes after that point. I think, though, that the start menu and task bar on Windows 95 were a big usability step from Windows 3.1.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #184


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by Mystere View Post
    That's just it. Why should your PC be any different than your TV, Coffee Maker, Phone, Tablet, Car, or pretty much any other device on the planet?

    All of those things are turned on and off with the same mechanism, typically a button or switch of some sort. Microsoft actually WANTS you to use the power button to shut down.

    How do you turn off your phone? How do you turn off your tablet? How do you turn off your TV? These are all things normal everyday non-techy people do with their technology. The PC should be no different.

    umm i hit the power button then get a menu..it doesn't just turn off.

    anyway your latching onto something you misunderstood from the get go.

    just imagine you aren't you, you know none of those shortcuts, your power button in windows 8 is by default set to go to sleep not turn off the machine btw, your not comfortable changing power settings or changing how the pc works.

    i've just described a whopping proportion of the pc user base not modders not pc enthusiasts not IT savvy computer owners.

    try to view that from a different perspective other than your own, or try working as a pc support technician because you clearly don't have to deal with those types of pc owners every single day.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #185


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gazz9496 View Post
    yeah for some reason i recall 3.1 having a start menu..might have been my memory playing funny with me.
    Nope. The start menu and task bar were introduced with Windows 95. Remember the Rolling Stones "Start Me Up!" campaign? I think they should have kept playing the song... "You make a grown man cry!".
    dang why does my brain tell me something was there?? damn you brain damn you!!

    hmm i don't remember that song... i was only 15 then.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #186


    Quote Originally Posted by mbratch View Post
    Thoughtful and helpful post, HippsieGysie.

    I think there is certainly something to be said for larger, more informative, and conveniently arranged icons (a la the Start screen).

    On Windows 8, are you using a laptop or desktop with a touch screen to select the app you want and pan the screen, etc? You had mentioned that it wasn't productive taking your hands off the keyboard to manipulate a mouse. Do you find that less the case when having to take a hand off the keyboard to manipulate the touch screen?
    Hi, mbratch. Welcome to EightForums. Good to have you.

    You can check my specs (or anyone's) via the lower left link found in all posts. As you can see, I don't have a touch screen, but I plan on purchasing one to use along with my existing to experiment. I also desire to dual monitor. Keep in mind that I sit at my desk with the monitor an arm's length. I realize that's odd to some, but that's me.

    I think using a touch screen might be more efficient. I want to experiment for myself. I get your gist of the motion to take my hand off the keyboard to use the touch screen. An extra motion, but navigating with the finger may be faster.

    Another idea I have is to use a pad (if at all possible) as a peripheral instead of or along with the keyboard to navigate. The monitor would duplicate the pad and use the keyboard to type or use the on board screen keyboard of the pad.

    All in all, I've always been up for a better way. I think touch UI is here to stay. I prefer to work with it instead of fighting it, as with most things in life. I find that I need to adapt to what comes along in life, not fight it. I may ultimately find that 8 is not fit for me, but I highly doubt it, for I'm finding the experience interesting at this point. I don't have a problem with navigation in 8 whatsoever.

    Again, welcome to the forums.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #187


    Australia
    Posts : 716
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM


    If MS didn't intend us to use an electronic switch to shut down, via the desktop start menu, then why did they put it there? It's amongst the first things you see when you click the start orb ... bottom right in W7.

    Maybe it's to trick people into stopping them using the 'correct' mechanical start/stop button on their towers, laptops, etc. Or could it be "grey wallpaper" that mysteriously became active from a mistake by a MS programmer? Hmmmmm?
    Last edited by Mustang; 09 Dec 2012 at 05:50.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #188


    Quote Originally Posted by Ray8 View Post
    I'd forgotten that the start button can also double as a software shutdown, provided you don't hold it down. But I've always been told that it's better to use the software to shut down, so that's what I've always done.
    In the past, the power button on the PC did not interact with the OS. It would shut down Windows while files were still open and cached to the hard drive creating disk errors. In most cases these files just sat on your HD and eventually clogged up the system. In rare cases important files like your email data file could become corrupt preventing you from accessing the file.

    At some point they added a smart power button that sent a signal to the OS telling it to shut down. You can even program it as to how to shut down (sleep, hibernate & power off). The OS will close open files and shut down.

    Holding down the power button should only be used when no other option is viable. The reset button on the other hand just resets the system with no option for the OS. Windows has gotten much better at dealing with crashes and forced shutdowns so it's not as much of an issue as it used to be but there may be some applications that do not deal with it as Windows does so it is still best to not use the forced shutdown. But by all means you can use the power button on the PC or keyboard if you have such a button.

    Darv
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #189


    Posts : 224
    .


    Quote Originally Posted by HippsieGypsie View Post
    Hi, mbratch. Welcome to EightForums. Good to have you.

    You can check my specs (or anyone's) via the lower left link found in all posts. As you can see, I don't have a touch screen, but I plan on purchasing one to use along with my existing to experiment. I also desire to dual monitor. Keep in mind that I sit at my desk with the monitor an arm's length. I realize that's odd to some, but that's me.

    I think using a touch screen might be more efficient. I want to experiment for myself. I get your gist of the motion to take my hand off the keyboard to use the touch screen. An extra motion, but navigating with the finger may be faster.

    Another idea I have is to use a pad (if at all possible) as a peripheral instead of or along with the keyboard to navigate. The monitor would duplicate the pad and use the keyboard to type or use the on board screen keyboard of the pad.

    All in all, I've always been up for a better way. I think touch UI is here to stay. I prefer to work with it instead of fighting it, as with most things in life. I find that I need to adapt to what comes along in life, not fight it. I may ultimately find that 8 is not fit for me, but I highly doubt it, for I'm finding the experience interesting at this point. I don't have a problem with navigation in 8 whatsoever.

    Again, welcome to the forums.

    i agree that touch would be more efficient, the trouble is i don't think metro is actually that efficent on the desktop environment yet, still missing some core features.

    a long way to go before metro and touch gets the uptake it needs, from software development and a market saturation of touchscreen monitors of which there are so few.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #190


    Posts : 993
    Windows 8 pro Retail


    I haven't said anything here in a long time, BUT going to reiterate that Windows 8 "Start Screen" would be better accustomed to a tablet/slate PC than to a desktop/laptop. I was sent one of these devices to beta test, and give my opinion, and it is clear that Windows 8 rocks on it. BUT wait my Laptop and PC aren't touch screen, and even if they were it would be awkward to press onto their screens. Tablet users will feel perfectly at home on Windows 8.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
Is Start Menu really matter?
Related Threads
3 days before my Windows 8.1 pc wasn't working during log in it showed up with "The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign in." I posted this thread but no one replied then back yesterday I ran it into Safe Mode and used the CMD and put these "sfc/scannow" then the PC booted...
I actually have no beef with the Win 8.1 Start menu, but the colors of the regular desktop environment are killing me. Namely, the weird, off-off white of the menus. The High-Contrast White option under Personalization gives me the right color for the menu backgrounds but everything else about the...
Im referring to this bottom menu; 43692 when I right click my app/programs, nothing pops up below. I also cant rearrange tiles, groups and stuff. Any help. Thanks
Read more at source: Windows 8.1 Start button may not offer actual Start menu | Microsoft - CNET News
Why The Windows Blue Start Button Debate Doesn’t Really Matter | Lifehacker Australia
Hi All, I have seen screenshots where people have network connections when they right click on the start menu. I am trying to figure out how to add it. Any ideas? My Context Menu: http://cdn.thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2012/11/Capture.png Others' Menu:...
Today I found a good solution to the start menu problem in windows 8. Aston menu worked fine and very good and returned the familiar customized XP look and feel I Changed the program Icon and pinned it to task-bar and moved it to the extreme left you can try it for 30...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook