Windows 8 and 8.1 Forums


What games can Windows 8 play?

  1. #51


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Quote Originally Posted by TONSCHUH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    nor does Max Payne 2
    Wenda.
    Max Payne-2 works without any issues under Windows-8-Pro-WMC-x64. No compatibility-mode / settings needed. Game is patched to v1.01 and I also installed the 2 additional maps (* Upper East Side* Mona's Playground).

    I can't double-check Deus Ex-2, as I only have Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

    Well, after reading this, I tried again, and can state categorically that it does not, at least on my machine.

    It's an i7-2670QM with 8 gigs of RAM and a 2GB DDR3 GeForce GT555M, and all its drivers are current.

    There is no 'odd-ball' hardware that could cause an issue. Looking at your system specs, nothing stands
    out that I'm lacking.

    Install locations (even tried installing in C:\Max Payne 2) make no difference, nor do compatibility settings.

    The disks are fine, they work on the XP box no problem. The game installs without a hitch, but will NOT run.

    Patching makes no difference either. The V1.01 patch installs, but V1.05 cannot find the game folder, even
    when manually pointed at it.

    You must just have the 'knack'.

    Wenda.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  2. #52


    Wynnum Australia
    Posts : 466
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TONSCHUH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    nor does Max Payne 2
    Wenda.
    Max Payne-2 works without any issues under Windows-8-Pro-WMC-x64. No compatibility-mode / settings needed. Game is patched to v1.01 and I also installed the 2 additional maps (* Upper East Side* Mona's Playground).

    I can't double-check Deus Ex-2, as I only have Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

    Well, after reading this, I tried again, and can state categorically that it does not, at least on my machine.

    It's an i7-2670QM with 8 gigs of RAM and a 2GB DDR3 GeForce GT555M, and all its drivers are current.

    There is no 'odd-ball' hardware that could cause an issue. Looking at your system specs, nothing stands
    out that I'm lacking.

    Install locations (even tried installing in C:\Max Payne 2) make no difference, nor do compatibility settings.

    The disks are fine, they work on the XP box no problem. The game installs without a hitch, but will NOT run.

    Patching makes no difference either. The V1.01 patch installs, but V1.05 cannot find the game folder, even
    when manually pointed at it.

    You must just have the 'knack'.

    Wenda.
    That's really strange. Sent you a PM.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  3. #53


    South Coast NSW, Australia
    Posts : 615
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).


    Yeah, got that Tonschuh. Thanks muchly.
    Have d/l'ed it, will play around later in the week.

    Wenda.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  4. #54


    Wynnum Australia
    Posts : 466
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64


    Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Yeah, got that Tonschuh. Thanks muchly.
    Have d/l'ed it, will play around later in the week.

    Wenda.
    Good Luck with it !

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  5. #55


    I have currently installed Far Cry 2, Silent Hunter 4 and Sid Meiers Pirates. All work perfectly without looking for compat modes.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  6. #56


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by RedDeadDinosaur View Post
    Every game I have played works except the sims 3 where I needed to launch it into windows 7 compatibility mode and it works fine
    I'm new to 8 and to this forum. I was hoping for help installing The Sims 3. Can you tell me how to launch in Windows 7 compatibility mode please? Thanks!

    TG
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  7. #57


    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDeadDinosaur View Post
    Every game I have played works except the sims 3 where I needed to launch it into windows 7 compatibility mode and it works fine
    I'm new to 8 and to this forum. I was hoping for help installing The Sims 3. Can you tell me how to launch in Windows 7 compatibility mode please? Thanks!

    TG
    hi you can do it by right click on sims3.exe then properties then compatibilities then check compatibility mode choose windows 7
    I hope it helps please reply if it did
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  8. #58


    Portland, Oregon, USA
    Posts : 182
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64


    Has anyone managed to get the original Tomb Raider working perfectly (or close to it) on 7/8? I bought it from GOG and it either glitches out or crashes when I launch it. I havent been able to play so far.
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  9. #59


    Posts : 2
    Windows 8


    Quote Originally Posted by Shuren Inferno View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDeadDinosaur View Post
    Every game I have played works except the sims 3 where I needed to launch it into windows 7 compatibility mode and it works fine
    I'm new to 8 and to this forum. I was hoping for help installing The Sims 3. Can you tell me how to launch in Windows 7 compatibility mode please? Thanks!

    TG
    hi you can do it by right click on sims3.exe then properties then compatibilities then check compatibility mode choose windows 7
    I hope it helps please reply if it did
    Thank you for the tips. It didn't work. I wonder if the real problem is the Origin pop-up from EA rather than the game itself. I know my password is correct because I can successfully log in to the Origins website, however when prompted by the pop-up for the password, I cannot log in. I'll have to search for a remedy here. Anyone have any ideas?

    Thanks again!!
    TG
      My System SpecsSystem Spec

  10. #60


    Wynnum Australia
    Posts : 466
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64


    Steam:

    - Aliens: Colonial Marines + Season Pass
    - Arma 2
    - Arma 2: British Armed Forces
    - Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead
    - Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead Beta
    - Arma 2: Private Military Company
    - Arma 3 Alpha
    - Arma 3 Alpha Lite
    - Arma X: Anniversary Edition
    - Arma: Cold War Assault
    - Arma: Gold Edition
    - Brink
    - Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
    - Call of Duty: Black Ops II + Season Pass
    - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 + Season Pass
    - Call of Duty: World at War
    - Champions Online: Free For All
    - Counter-Strike
    - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero
    - Counter-Strike: Condition Zero Deleted Scenes
    - Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
    - Counter-Strike: Source
    - Dota 2
    - Duke Nukem Forever
    - Enemy Territory - QUAKE Wars(TM)
    - Forsaken World
    - Global Agenda
    - Hard Reset
    - Hydrophobia: Prophecy
    - Killing Floor
    - Killing Floor Mod: Defence Alliance 2
    - Metro 2033
    - Midnight Club II
    - PAYDAY: The Heist
    - PlanetSide 2
    - Portal
    - Quake 4
    - Quake II - Ground Zero
    - Ravaged
    - Saints Row 2
    - Spiral Knights
    - Team Fortress 2
    - Torchlight II
    - TrackMania-2 Stadium
    - Unreal Tournament 3: Black Edition
    - War Inc. Battlezone

    Origin:

    - Battlefield 1942
    - Battlefield 3 - Limited Edition + Premium
    - Crysis 2 - Maximum Edition
    - Crysis 3 - Hunter Edition
    - Dead Space 2
    - Dead Space 3 - Limited Edition + Season Pass
    - Need for Speed: The Run - Limited Edition
    - Need for Speed: Most Wanted - Limited Edition + all Extras
    - Battlefield 4 - Digital Deluxe Edition - pre-ordered

    Others:

    - Firefall
    - Smite
    - Tribes Ascend
    - Battle for Graxia
    - Borderlands
    - Red Faction
    - Red Faction II
    - Saints Row 2
    - Diablo III

    That are all the Games I have installed at the moment so far.

      My System SpecsSystem Spec

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
What games can Windows 8 play?
Related Threads
Games from store will download but in most cases when i click on the tile for the game the opening screen will come up and after a few seconds it minimizes its self and that is the end of it. No Microsoft games will play and very few non Microsoft games will play.
I have Windows 8.1 and a gaming laptop, but I still cant play games on full screen. For example Call Of Duty World At War; I can open the launcher or whatever it is and the game starts just fine. BUT, when it goes to full screen mode it just goes down and I cant open it anymore.This happens with...
I hav preordered fifa 14 and GTA 5 I also hav fifa 13,NSF most wanted and assassins creed.. Will I be able to play all these in my new windows 8 laptop?? please help me....
Hello! Apparently DirectDraw games don't run to well on Windows 8. I recently wanted to play a Desperados an old isometric tactics game. But it ran like 10% the speed it's supposed to. So it was unplayable. There are some alternative ddraw stuff out there. Actually one works somewhat: with...
How to play games faster with window 8 .¿
Can't play games in Gaming
Hey all, I can't seem to play games on my windows. I'm using a macbook pro, using boot camp, i've installed the drivers that came with bootcamp and checked and updated them in windows 8. I have tried booting pre updating and post updating and it didn't work either time. The problem seems to be...
Eight Forums Android App Eight Forums IOS App Follow us on Facebook