How to Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 8 and 8.1
This tutorial will show you how to enable or disable the lock
screen appearing for users that are not required to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
) before signing in Windows 8
and Windows 8.1
You must be signed in as an administrator
to be able to do the steps in this tutorial.
If you have Secure sign-in
enabled for users to be required to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete
before signing in, then it will override disabling the lock screen below.
EXAMPLE: Lock Screen in Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Enable or Disable Lock Screen using a REG File Download
The .reg files below are for the registry key and value below.
0 = Enable lock screen
1 = Disable lock screen
1. Do step 2 or 3 below for what you would like to do.
2. To Enable the Lock Screen
NOTE: This is the default setting.
A) Click/tap on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.
3. To Disable the Lock Screen
A) Click on the Download button below to download the file below, and go to step 4 below.
4. Save the .reg file to your desktop.
5. Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to Merge it.
6. Click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK when prompted.
7. When finished, you can delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.
Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Local Group Policy Editor
NOTE: This option for using group policy is only available in the Windows 8 Pro and Windows 8 Enterprise editions.
1. From the Start screen, start typing gpedit.msc and press Enter when finished.
NOTE: You could also press Windows+R to open the Run dialog, type gpedit.msc, and click/tap on OK.
2. If prompted by UAC, then click/tap on Yes.
3. In the left pane, click on to expand Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, and open Personalization. (see screenshot below)
4. In the right pane of Personalization, double click/tap on Do not display the lock screen. (see screenshot above)
5. Do step 6 or 7 below for what you would like to do.
6. To Enable the Lock Screen
A) Select (dot) Disabled or Not Configured, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below step 7A)
NOTE: Not Configured is the default setting.
7. To Disable the Lock Screen
A) Select (dot) Enabled, and click/tap on OK. (see screenshot below)
You can now close the Local Group Policy Editor window if you like.