| | Charms Bar - Open in Windows 8
How to Open the Charms Bar in Windows 8
The Windows 8 Charms bar has been simplified to only having the Settings
, and Search
charms in it. The charms bar is context sensitive to the application that is running when opened.
This tutorial will show you how to open the new "Metro" styled Charms Bar
in Windows 8
. For more information about Charms, see: Use the charms
Charm Shortcut Keys and Descriptions
Search (Windows+Q) – Search for anything. You can search just the app you're in (like finding a specific message in Mail), search another app (look up something on the Internet), or you can search your entire PC (for an app, setting, or file).
Share (Windows+H) – Share files and info with people you know or send info to another app, without leaving the app you're in. You can email photos to your mom, update your Facebook status, or send a link to your note–taking app.
Start (Windows) – Get to your Start screen. Or if you're already on Start, you can use this charm to go back to the last app you were in.
Devices (Windows+K) – Use all of the devices that are connected to your PC, both wired and wireless. You can print from an app, sync with your phone, or stream your latest home movie to your TV.
Settings (Windows+I) – Change settings for apps and your PC. You'll find settings, help, and info for the app you're in, plus common PC settings—network connection, volume, brightness, notifications, power, and keyboard. These PC settings are the same no matter where you are in Windows, but the app settings are different in every app. You can also change settings for your PC when you select Change PC settings. It's where you change your lock screen picture, manage notifications, and more.
EXAMPLE: Windows 8 Charms Bar
1. Do step 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 below for how you would like to open the Charms bar.
2. Press the Windows + C keys.
NOTE: The Charms bar will stay open with this option until you either click on a charm, press Windows+C again, or click on a empty area in the main screen. You can also use the up & down arrow keys and Enter to select a charm.
3. Move the pointer to the bottom right corner of any connected display screen, then move the pointer up to be able to select a charm.
4. Move the pointer to the top right corner of any connected display screen, then move the pointer down to be able to select a charm.
5. For touchscreens, swipe inward from the right edge of the screen.
6. If you have a touchpad with edge swipes enabled, then swipe inward from the right edge of the touchpad.
Join Date: Jul 2009