Your general opinions on Windows 8.1 Preview Release

However, when doing as Lehnerus and Brink suggest, one can avoid the Start Menu. What more do you guys want?
The ability to see multiple Metro apps in overlapping Windows.

I know 8.1 has improved "Snap" but from what I've seen, it still won't let me look at a spreadsheet in the top half of the screen and a PDF report (in Reader) in the bottom half. I need do to this sort of thing to do my job.

No problem if you use only Desktop apps, as most people will at the moment, but if the push is towards developers writing Metro apps, Metro itself needs to become a better platform.

Oh and a few other things - organising Start Screen Apps into subfolders for instance.

Hi there
The best way of doing that is to create a custom toolbar IMO and then just use the Boot straight to desktop.

Metro is still a pain -- in my post on experience with it -- You can alter the size at will of TWO metro apps (Vertically on the screen). A 3rd one can start - you see a horizontal small screen appear but when you click on it one of the other metro apps disappears so you STILL only get TWO on the screen and you can't CONCURRENTLY view classical desktop apps like say a Spread sheet you are working on -- so for serious desktop users - Metro still a NO NO.

(With Multiple monitors though you can still use desktop apps on another screen - a small improvement).

Boot to the desktop directly though is a HUGE improvement.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
. Incidentally W8 will HAVE to be upgraded soon to W8.1 -- in spite of the horrors that IE11 can have - so eventually you'll have to use it --

jimbo

Please explain further. Have you seen anything official from MS ?

For my use, there is no major advantage to upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
. Incidentally W8 will HAVE to be upgraded soon to W8.1 -- in spite of the horrors that IE11 can have - so eventually you'll have to use it --

jimbo

Last I heard, no IE 11 for Windows 8 and they will stop issuing patches for 8 once 8.1 becomes official.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Hi there
You can download an evaluation copy for 180 days BTW. Incidentally W8 will HAVE to be upgraded soon to W8.1 -- in spite of the horrors that IE11 can have - so eventually you'll have to use it

This better not be mandatory! My poor old Dell Precision 370 will not run Windows 8.1 64 bit as it requires BIOS/Hardware support it doesn't have.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Intel Quad Core i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Integrated HD Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    250GB Samsung EVO SATA-3 SSD;
    2TB Seagate ST2000DM001 SATA-2;
    1.5TB Seagate ST3150041AS SATA
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender; MBAM Pro
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH

jimbo

This better not be mandatory! My poor old Dell Precision 370 will not run Windows 8.1 64 bit as it requires BIOS/Hardware support it doesn't have.
From this Microsoft blog post here:
Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview Now Available
Windows 8 customers will have two years to move to Windows 8.1 after the General Availability of the Windows 8.1 update to continue to remain supported under Windows 8 lifecycle. With the availability of Windows 8.1 Enterprise Preview, it is time to start planning your deployment - and there are deployment tools and guidance available to help make these updates seamless for customers.

It doesn't mention 64-bit anywhere though - I'm also hoping that 32-bit Windows 8.1 will still be available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Would anyone be surprised if the RC for Win9 is released within 18-24 months after official release of 8.1 ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000
Hi there
You can download an evaluation copy for 180 days BTW. Incidentally W8 will HAVE to be upgraded soon to W8.1 -- in spite of the horrors that IE11 can have - so eventually you'll have to use it

just like when win7 service packs came out ,you had to have sp1 installed before you install sp2 ,or you would no longer be able to get win7 sp1 updates ,so it will come to be ,that you will have to install 8.1 first before you will be able to get any more windows 8 updates ,So you will affect the security of your win8 computer buy not install win 8.1 when it becomes final

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win8.1.1 enterprise
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Hinze57
    CPU
    AMD FX 6100 6core 3.30gHz
    Motherboard
    gigibyte ga-78lmy-s2p
    Memory
    4gig ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radon hd5000 Series
    Sound Card
    onboard realtek hd
    Monitor(s) Displays
    19" viewsonic/ 22"Samsung
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    128gig ssd Kingston
    80gig WD 10000 rpm spinner
    Case
    micro
    Keyboard
    microsoft curve 200
    Mouse
    Logitech wireless M215
    Internet Speed
    high speed 20
    Browser
    ie 11
    Antivirus
    windows defender
    Other Info
    updated enterprise apr 2/14
Well, I've promised myself a new computer for Christmas. I'm sure it will have 8.1 on it. I'll donate my current one which does run 8.1 X86 okay.

I'm looking forward to being able to play with UEFI and GPT drives as I have no experience with them at all yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
"For my use, there is no major advantage to upgrade.Last I heard, no IE 11 for Windows 8 and they will stop issuing patches for 8 once 8.1 becomes official."

That means that Windows 9 will be around the corner soon and that we need to pay.......again, right?

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Hi there
Ms isn't actually "The Evil Empire" that most people seem to think it is -- its just got TOO big and lost its way a bit . It certainly has made a fiasco over the whole W8 issue -- A TEENY WEENY bit of CHEAP market research could have avoided the whole fiasco and Ms would actually have made money out of it. A few students out in the street of any large city over a weekend could have told Ms what they are FINALLY beginning to realize.

As for GPT drives - you don't need any version of windows 8 to test these --works fine on W7 too.

For UEFI you can actually test this with VMWARE in a virtual machine - even if your HOST machine isn't equipped with UEFI.

set the following line in your vmx file.
firmware = "efi"

Note you have to do this BEFORE creating (installing the guest OS) the Virtual machine - you can't do it to an existing VM - it will fail to boot.

OK 8.1 is a significant improvement over W8 -- the apps screen has a decent number of tiles arranged VERTICALLY too so endless scrolls can be eliminated completely. Navigate straight to APPS screen instead of Start if you want (it's configuarabl) and of course boot straight to desktop.

W8.1 is what W8 should perhaps have been from the outset --still not perfect but a HUGE improvement over W8. My only issue is the whole IE11 mess -- there's still problems with video rendering on it so it needs to be 100% BACKWARDS compatible with both IE10 AND IE9 whatever the security problems that might lead to --if not too many people will give it up.

W8.1 will be a FREE upgrade so I don't think current W8 users will need to worry --and I suspect that if and when W9 appears as a PROPER DESKTOP OS I'm sure the upgrade prices will actually be quite reasonable.

Ms unlike some of the views expressed on these Forums --obviously made by people who have never RUN a business in their lives - even for ONE DAY - isn't TRYING to lose customers --and it doesn't see any advantage in ripping them off either. It's made a mistake and big rich powerful organisations aren't used to admitting errors.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there

just like when win7 service packs came out ,you had to have sp1 installed before you install sp2 ,or you would no longer be able to get win7 sp1 updates ,so it will come to be ,that you will have to install 8.1 first before you will be able to get any more windows 8 updates ,So you will affect the security of your win8 computer buy not install win 8.1 when it becomes final

Technically the 8.1 update isn't really a service pack, its a full OS update, but that's a good analogy on what they are doing. Microsoft doesn't want to have to patch 8, 8 Pro, 8 Pro + MC, 8.1, 8.1 pro, and 8.1 + MC. If you drop 8 and have everybody move on to 8.1 it simplifies things for Microsoft. I think the reality is that most people will do the free upgrade to 8.1 anyway. You'll be able to skip the updating part and clean install to 8.1 too as it accepts your Windows 8 product codes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I can't test with VMWARE as my old Dell Precision 370 does not have hardware virtualization support needed. Same reason I can't run Windows 8.1 X64.

Also, I want a new computer and this give me the justification I need to get it!!! :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
Also, I want a new computer and this give me the justification I need to get it!!! :p

Pardon my being repetitive, but again my opinion is 8.1 is just a "stopgap" (hence, why it is free) until Win 9 which my guess will be released within 18-24 months. MS needs to solidify its appeal to business customers.

So, Ztruk you may want to wait until more info is available.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000
I am. I will wait until Christmas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Lenovo IdeaCenter K450
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HP h2207
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050@59Hz
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    500W
    Keyboard
    Wired USB
    Mouse
    Wired USB
    Internet Speed
    3GB Up, 30GB Down
    Browser
    SeaMonkey
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    UEFI/GPT
    PLDS DVD-RW DH16AERSH
This article (right/wrong) states we will have to be patient.

Windows 8.1 will soon reach the RTM development stage, so all eyes are on the update that’s expected to finally give Windows 8 a chance to excite.

Analysts believe that 8.1 will not only rescue Windows 8, but it will also spawn lots of new devices, including thinner form factors equipped with touchscreens.

"We can expect some attractive new PCs in the stores for the fourth quarter of 2013, running Windows 8.1 with thinner form factors and longer battery life enabled by Intel's Haswell processors," Meike Escherich, principal research analyst at Gartner, says.

"These PCs will compete with high-end tablets and will be complemented by a new generation of Atom-based devices that will compete with low-end basic tablets. Although this will not fully compensate for the ongoing PC decline, it does create an opportunity for profit in the midrange and more high end PC segments."

While RTM is prepared for this month, there are no details on general availability, with some people close to the matter hinting that end users are expected to get the new OS by year-end.

Microsoft is also working on its very own device running Windows 8.1, as the company is currently giving the last touches to the second-generation Surface tablet based entirely on this OS.

The new tablet range is likely to include a smaller unit, possibly equipped with an 8-inch screen that would be specifically aimed at competing with Apple iPad mini and Nexus 7.

Microsoft hasn’t yet confirmed the smaller Surface, but it did reveal that both the RT and the Pro are expected to get updates in the next 12 months, as the company continues development of new hardware devices.

The new Surface is also said to be more affordable, in an attempt to sell in high numbers and thus give Microsoft a chance to compete with Android and iOS devices.

Windows 8.1 Likely to Spawn Plenty of New Devices, Analysts Believe

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Toshiba
    CPU
    Intel i3, 2348
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD3000

Will they have the File History fixed??? As of 8.0, it is unusable...... it tends to mass duplicate your files in your backup, even if you never touch said files (like your pictures that you never look at........... they get mass duplicated over and over till you run out of backup space).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 and Windows 8
    HP G7-1328dx
I am really liking Windows 8.1, the only thing I cannot figure out is how to get it to boot to desktop, any help?

Right click the taskbar. Click properties

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/7449-desktop-boot-directly-windows-8-a.html

Desk.png

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Use several different computers during a day, so specs are irrelevant.
I do like the small tiles for the start screen. They would be useful if I ever actually wanted to use the start screen :)
I use the Metro as my start menu. But, my problem (old age memory) is that I do want to reduce the size of the icons to "small". But then there is no text. Anyway, hard work but I am halfway through customising and building my own text icons.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
you can go to apps after pinning it there and then pin it to desktop taskbar .lol

Yes, true, but I am trying to pin to Start Screen as a Tile. I can't pin it from Apps because it indicates that it is already Pinned, even though it is not visible. I just don't know what to do about that. Any ideas?

SR

Obly Tile might work with 8.1.

OblyTile - Download

Or not.

It does. It is getting a heavy workload from me at present!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
Back