Xbox One's DRM puportedly explained by "Xbox engineer"

http://www.neowin.net/news/anonymous-xbox-engineer-explains-drm-and-microsofts-xbox-one-intentions

>It's a long tail strategy, just like steam. Steam had it's growing pains at the beginning with all it's drm rubbish as well. [...] For digital downloads steam had no real competition at the time, they were competing against boxed sales. At the time people were pretty irate about steam, (on 4chan too...) It was only once they had a digital marketplace with DRM that was locked down to prevent sharing that they could do super discounted rubbish.
>Think about it, on steam you get a game for the true cost of the game, 5$-30$. On a console you have to pay for that PLUS any additional licenses for when you sell / trade / borrow / etc. If the developer / publisher can't get it on additional licenses (like steam), then they charge the first person more. [...] If we say "Hey publishers, you limit game to 39.99, we ensure every license transfer you get 10$, gamestop gets 20$" that is a decent model... Microsoft gets a license fee on first and subsequent game purchases, compared to just first now? That's a revenue increase.

Yep, it's official - x one is so bad and so deep in sh1t will all this spying thing and forcing to be online 24/7/12/999, that everyone, who will buy it, will be retard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
I am done with consoles now anyway. Last gen left me somewhat disappointed and underwhelmed so I've gone out and bought myself a GTX770 GPU instead :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
you can play your games on any xbox one console. there's no limit to how many times you can install it. the distinction between disc and digital is being blurred. when you install the disc game, it registers to your account and you own the digital version. if you wanted, you could throw away the disc at that point and just keep redownloading it (though since the games are pretty big so you'd still want the disc for faster install). you then go to your friend's house and you can either download the game (no disc involved) or you bring your disc over to install it. then play it.

How Games Licensing Works on Xbox One

• Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.
  • Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing,you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.
  • Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.
  • Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.
  • Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.
  • Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

there's also the family/friends game sharing feature. you create a list of 10 people total. you can see and play any of the games of each family member. so if each person buys 3 games, that's 30 games to be shared by the family. the primary owner (the purchaser) of a given game will always have access to his game PLUS 1 family member. so that's 1+1 or 2 people can play a game simultaneously. which that 1 family member is playing it, no other family member can be playing it.

1005696_476403155769673_2130993106_n.png

If XB1 is using a similar way of doing things than on steam, then why can't you use your game on another XB1? I mean, you can install Steam on another computer, download your game there and play. You can do that on 50 computers. But on XB1, you can't do that because you have to get through so many DRM it's... urgh. And, you'll maybe have to repurcahse a licence too... maybe.

About the internet, XB1 will need a connection every 24 hours. For Steam, you connect ONCE to login. If you want to play a game on your laptop that isn't connected to the net, all you need is to have been connected at least once in the past so the credential can be checked offline. With Steam you CAN play offline for more than 24 hours, but not the XB1

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of XBox nor PlayStation.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
Well, consoles will always be behind pcs in hardware, plus consoles doesnt do its job - some games still lags, i dont care whos fault it is, consoles or developers, its so fkin shame... good thing i never bought any console :) good simple offline stuff will always be the only real deal.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
yes, that means the game sharing plan is dead. as well as the ability to play your games without the disc...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I heard they are changing the name of the console to the
Xbox One Eighty

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7HP x64/7 Ultimate x32
    DIY
    CPU
    i7 920
    Motherboard
    Intel x58
    Memory
    6 x 2GB Corsair XMS3