Xbox One Drops 24 hour check in and game sharing will work

Hooray, MS has caved on the issue

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

Source: Your Feedback Matters

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if this has been asked, but will you be able to play 360 games on it? For example, if i buy call of duty ghosts for 360, before the release of xbox one, will i be able to carry on the multiplayer, when i purchase the xbox one?

Thankyou!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 64-bit
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (8 CPUs) OC 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z68-V PRO GEN3
    Memory
    32GB Corsair 12800J DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    2 x Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560Ti
    Monitor(s) Displays
    2 x Asus VS228H Monitors
    Hard Drives
    2 x Seagate 2TB
    PSU
    Powercool 1050w 80+ Modular
    Case
    Coolermaster CM690 II
    Cooling
    ThermalTake Contac Ultra Silent Cooler, 2 x Noctua NF-P12
Excellent news of course, good for them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite
I don't know if this has been asked, but will you be able to play 360 games on it? For example, if i buy call of duty ghosts for 360, before the release of xbox one, will i be able to carry on the multiplayer, when i purchase the xbox one?

Thankyou!

NO.

No backward compatibility due to new format.

XBOX ONE and PS4 are the same on this aspect.

We'll definitely see it in the news if they change their minds... but the chances are pretty high that the no remains no.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
If anyone is to blame it is MS

Apparently a world of people don't want to go backwards. Thanks again to a few whiners, we get to re-visit the past.

MS obviously has the code to do both systems.
They could implement both systems and yet they refuse to do it (just like W8).

MS remind me of this guy:

"Screw you guys I'm going home!"

Eric_Cartman.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
I am a little surprised myself by the fact that everything right now seems to be an "all or nothing" approach. I would expect a combination of both would be possible and a nice middle ground to go from the past to the future.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
Given that the 360 is a PowerPC-based cell processor variant (just like the PS3), and the Xbox One is an x86-based 64bit AMD CPU/APU design (again, just like the PS4), backwards compatibility is more than just "code", it's completely emulating a RISC-based processor (an advanced one, at that) and it's video hardware on a CISC-based machine.

Most decent, stable, and usable emulators stop at the PS2 and Gamecube/Wii generation of hardware, and for good reason - it takes an awful lot of x86 CPU horsepower to emulate RISC-based designs properly. I've seen some emulators out there that supposedly run some xbox 360 games on a PC, but generally require ridiculously high-spec hardware, especially the video chipset, to run at decent framerates. The Xbox One doesn't actually *have* a high-end video chipset, and the AMD CPU appears to be somewhere between a mobile chip and a mid-range desktop chip - I know the memory architecture and certain other things make things quite advanced, but I'm not sure emulating the RISC cell CPU design from the PS3 or 360 on either the PS4 or the Xbox One will even be realistic for most games from this generation on what these consoles will have inside.

The last stumbling block is that both Sony and Microsoft are businesses - making backwards compatibility work is in essence a lot of man-hours and code work for an unknown outcome with regards to actual compatibility, and an unknown fiscal return as well - they (Sony/Microsoft) don't necessarily make money on the consoles, they make money on licensing the ability to make games. With this in mind, making it easier for consumers to *not* purchase new games isn't a wise business move. Also, if you may remember the compatibility of original Xbox games on the 360, the list wasn't exactly a large one and the compatibility shims sometimes took a long time after the 360 launched to even become available. I know there will be a vocal minority who will complain about this, but most people will simply keep their old consoles for their old games.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.

Thankyou!

The One has an HDMI In port which you can plug your 360 into. The guys at Microsoft were a little sly in interviews with the question but gave a solid yes with a "wait 'til you see how it works" which optimistically, if you see what they're doing with TV, you can guess that you're going to be able to either split the screen or switch back and forth between your 360 and One. They're already doing the app snapping feature and if HDMI In is treated like the snapped apps or TV, the 360 view can be snapped as well. and the snapped app can go fullscreen as well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
I'm happy to see Microsoft did the right thing. They didn't go backwards at all. No, you won't have "family sharing" or whatever you want to call it. However, you can download your games, or buy disks. It's all a matter of choice. Also, it allows people without access to internet connections to use the box. As a father of 2 military veterans, including a Marine that was in Iraq, the game boxes were great time fillers between missions, but they were not always hooked up to the internet. Glad to see Microsoft supporting this.

As for "digital downloads", do yourself a favor and never use that term. It's like NTFS file system, it's redundant. ALL games are digital. I've never played an analog program on a computer, and I've never seen even analog music on a CD or DVD, and I never downloaded and installed analog software on my computer or console before. It's a marketing ploy, don't fall for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro and RT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    CPU
    i5 4 core
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7350
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials
I'd say the Xbox One is now a 360 with better hardware - the 360 already has digital downloads of games, and requires the disc to play for physical media games even if installed. It has no online features for games other than multiplayer, which is basically what the Xbox One will now have - it will lack the family sharing features, and likely fast switching of games. TV Integration and better apps is nice, but as a gaming console it's now just a 360 with better hardware. This is definitely a lateral step, and I hope they put the features back in the future for downloaded games because honestly, those *were* the cool things that set it apart from the PS4 in my mind.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.5GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus Maximus Hero VII
    Memory
    32GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce GTX970
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Audio
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 250GB SSD
    4x WD RE 2TB (RAIDZ)
    PSU
    Corsair AX760i
    Case
    Fractal Design Define R4
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15
@ pparks1

With this generation Xbox 360 and PS3 the CPU and GPU on both consoles are totally different, cross platform games that were first developed on the Xbox 360 then ported to the PS3 runs better on the 360 and vice versa.

With next generation the CPU and GPU are basically the same architecture except the GPU on the PS4 has more shaders and higher core clock and the PS4 has 8GB GDDR5 with 7GB available vs Xbox One's 8GB DDR3 with 5GB available, at least those are the specs for now.

So even if cross platform games are first developed on the Xbox One then ported to the PS4 the game will at least run exactly the same if not slightly enhanced graphically.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
Well we can agree to disagree as most everyone, including myself, did not care for the DRM model they had put out. It resembled many of the old models used in the entertainment industry in the past. The phone home everyday was ridiculous. That being said, there is nothing wrong with better hardware. Honestly both boxes are extremely old, and given their age it is amazing the developers can get the graphics out of them they do. Of course there are those games...skyrim....that caused the occasional performance issue. That being said, the new hardware looks great for the price on both boxes.

On the upside, the new push to less is more, will probably bring us better game play, better graphics, and better hardware at better prices. Regardless of people's purchase preference

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro and RT
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP
    CPU
    i5 4 core
    Memory
    8Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD 7350
    Browser
    IE10
    Antivirus
    Microsoft Security Essentials
Well we can agree to disagree as most everyone, including myself, did not care for the DRM model they had put out. It resembled many of the old models used in the entertainment industry in the past. The phone home everyday was ridiculous.

but more and more people are used to DRM. did you know that a lot of Blu-Ray movies will not play AT ALL without an Internet connection? read that again, Blu-Ray movie discs that will not play without an Internet connection. My friend was unlucky enough to find this out when he went to try to play a movie when his Internet was down. He thought maybe it was that movie but he started trying a number of his movies to find out the same thing. And that was even more inconvenient because it was a required behind-the-scene handshaking type of connection versus the once every 24 hours thing with the One.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
That's like saying you can get used to a rash.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Scrapping the entire system?

Given that the 360 is a PowerPC-based cell processor variant (just like the PS3), and the Xbox One is an x86-based 64bit AMD CPU/APU design (again, just like the PS4), backwards compatibility is more than just "code", it's completely emulating a RISC-based processor (an advanced one, at that) and it's video hardware on a CISC-based machine.

You seem to be saying that they are scrapping the entire console and re-releasing the 360.
I seriously doubt that is what MS is doing.

I was referring to the this quote in EMINENT's post (about "Cloud" sharing, not the internal architecture).

The Xbox One reverses its course on DRM, great news, right? Wrong. While part of the developer story still remains to be seen at the BUILD conference, what we have now is a console that is not too much different than the Xbox 360 (Xbox 361?) or the PS4 for that matter. Earlier today a Microsoft spokesman confirmed that

• Your entire games collection will no longer be available from the cloud.
  • Playing disc based games will requite will require the disc for playback.
  • Also, we will no longer offer family game sharing from the cloud.
  • The sharing of games will work as it does on Xbox 360, you’ll simply share the disc.
  • Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold
The Xbox One originally saw itself as an authentically digital device, and now we take a step backwards where people are stuck with their discs. When is the last time you saw a PC Gamer complaining about not being able to re-sell their used game on Steam. Microsoft was originally also allowing you to share games with up to 10 friends. Imagine a family where a Dad and his two sons want to play Halo against each other. With the Xbox One, they would only need one copy of Halo, now with the changed rules, they need to buy three.
Gizmodo made a nice list of some possible scenarios that would have been possible with the Xbox One, but are not longer.

So it is just MS spitting the dummy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
[h=1]'Heartbroken MS employee' upset over Xbox One changes[/h]
A person claiming to be part of the Xbox One team expresses dismay over Microsoft's backtracking on the always-connected requirement and used game sales.

A comment on this story.

Family Sharing is a load of bull. It is actually just a timed demo of the game that you can let your family members play for 45 mins IF you buy the full game. They are then required to purchase the game to continue playing afterwards. Microsoft gave people the impression they could just share the game so long as not more than 2 users were using it at the same time.
Sony has been offering free hour long demos of full games through their PS+ service and you don't need a family member to purchase the game to try the demo. It baffles me that MS can tout this as a feature.
More deception from Microsoft. I don't trust that they won't 'flip the DRM switch' back on a year down the line.

'Heartbroken MS employee' upset over Xbox One changes | Microsoft - CNET News

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
So it is just MS spitting the dummy.

Yes, the petulance is funny.

Reminds me of the old cowboy movies where the Indian chief sells his children's land for a few shiny glass beads.

That is MS saying if you won't give me your kid's land, then we won't give you the glass beads ... so there, na, na,na. Smiley_angry_sticking_out_tongue.gif

What is not so funny is they will keep trying it on.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have to defend MS here.

Surely that can't be true:

When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.

...The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn't need to be erased when they purchase the full game!

Heartbroken MS employee - Pastebin.com

MS have done some some strange things, but that would be suicide.

Can you imagine all those Xbone buyers finding out after purchase the sharing was a scam.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Looks like M$ made the right move scraping that part the din would have been quite loud.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I have to defend MS here.

Surely that can't be true:

When your family member accesses any of your games, they're placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game.

...The difference between the family sharing and the typical store demo is that your progress is saved as if it was the full game, and the data that was installed for that shared game doesn't need to be erased when they purchase the full game!

Heartbroken MS employee - Pastebin.com

MS have done some some strange things, but that would be suicide.

Can you imagine all those Xbone buyers finding out after purchase the sharing was a scam.

. . . or that the start menu really isn't a start menu. . .

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox