With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right...

[h=1]With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing[/h]
Call it capitulation. Call it listening to customers. But whatever you call it, making Windows 8 more usable with expected coming Blue tweaks is a positive, not a negative.

There've been reports claiming everything from Microsoft is doing a 180-degree reversal with Windows Blue, to others advising the Redmondians to dig in their heels and stay the current UI course with its coming Blue update.
Windows Blue, from all leaks and tips I've received, is not a do-over. (If it were, it would take Microsoft a lot longer than nine or ten months to deliver it.) And ignoring customer confusion isn't a virtue; it's stupidity.

In addition to the optional Start Button and boot-to-desktop options, there may be other interface adjustments in the works, according to one of my Blue tipsters. I hear the Windows team may also be tweaking the Charms to make them a bit easier to use with a mouse. There might be new built-in tutorials and in-context help coming to Blue. And word is there may be adjustments to the Start Screen designed to make Blue easier to use for Desktop users. One of my sources said some of these tweaks may not be in the Windows Blue preview release coming at the end of June, but that they still could make it into the final product.

With Windows Blue, Microsoft may (finally) do the right thing | ZDNet

I'm only talking about the start menu, not other third party programs. The former is an intrinsic and familiar method (or was) by which to interact with the OS and installed programs, the latter are but installed programs. Are you now fully supporting Microsoft's way ahead?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I'm only talking about the start menu, not other third party programs. The former is an intrinsic and familiar method (or was) by which to interact with the OS and installed programs, the latter are but installed programs.

Lol. That is the very definition of having your cake and eating it too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1280x800
    Other Info
    Surface RT
Microsoft could easily have let the people have their cake and eat it as well. Now they have to face an unsavoury revolution.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I'm only talking about the start menu, not other third party programs. The former is an intrinsic and familiar method (or was) by which to interact with the OS and installed programs, the latter are but installed programs. Are you now fully supporting Microsoft's way ahead?

Hi there
I'm surprised -- you are experienced enough to develop your arguments properly -- I've taught all sorts of courses at all sorts of levels - and you really when developing what could be a complex argument must make NO ASSUMPTIONS on what the audience (i.e "the Students" or Forum readers etc etc) already understand or what assumptions you have made when presenting your case.

If anything you should OVER Simplify stuff for students.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I was assuming more from the audience, given the nature of this forum, than I should have. Mea Culpa.

My Computer

System One

• OS
It's also amusing to note the arrogance that Windows 8 fanbois share with MS at this point.

I hate to say it but I see MS digging the hole their in deeper and deeper, with the patronizing tone they have taken with the overwhelming majority of their users. They are NOT having a difficult time using Metro they don't want to use it. The desktop makes more sense for folks in a productivity environment.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 7 home premium 64 bit
It's also amusing to note the arrogance that Windows 8 fanbois share with MS at this point.

I hate to say it but I see MS digging the hole their in deeper and deeper, with the patronizing tone they have taken with the overwhelming majority of their users. They are NOT having a difficult time using Metro they don't want to use it. The desktop makes more sense for folks in a productivity environment.

Hi there
Old Engineering saying : "If you find yourself in a hole STOP DIGGING" !. So Ms please learn.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Overall, I am happy with 8. Plenty of start button options available thru tutorials.

The only problem I really see is as jimbo mentions, all those exes that come loaded with programs that fill up your All apps screen.

But even that isn't a real problem.

On this computer and under the title bar of Microsoft Works — tiles were displayed for
  1. Getting Started
  2. Microsoft Works Calendar
  3. Microsoft Works Database
  4. Microsoft Works Portfolio
  5. Microsoft Works Spreadsheet
  6. Microsoft Works Task Launcher
  7. Microsoft Works Word Processor

Now my All apps and under the title bar of Microsoft Works — tiles displayed are reduced to 3
  1. Microsoft Works 5 More Available
  2. Microsoft Works Spreadsheet
  3. Microsoft Works Word Processor
Screenshot (60).png
This is what I see when I click Microsoft Works 5 More Available icon
Screenshot (61).png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU