Solved wireless Printer offline?

The change in IP happens. When I went from Comcast to ATT U-Verse, I had forgotten to change the static IP on a few devices that you can only access through a web interface.

I keep our printer at a Static IP, so that if the IP reservation changes on the gateway, the assigned IP on the device always stays the same, and computing devices are able to find it, without having to go through a bunch of setup steps.

The only time you would setup the printer as an independent wifi ad-hoc device, is if you are using it say in a public setting, that you allow people to connect directly to it without being on the wifi network and print to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Mint 17.2
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Toshiba Satellite C850D-st3nx1
    CPU
    AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon (tm) HD Graphics 1.40 GHZ
    Memory
    12GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M500 240GB SSD
    Mouse
    Logitech M525
    Internet Speed
    45/6 - ATT U-Verse
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    None needed. It is Linux.
    Other Info
    Arris NVG589 Gateway; Router - Cisco RV320; Switch - Netgear GS108 8-Port Switch & Trendnet TEG-S50g 5-Port Switch; Access Points - Engenius ECB350, Trendnet TEW-638APB; NAS - Lenovo ix2-4; Printer - Brother HL-2280DW; Air Print Server - Lantronix XPrintServer

A/V UPS - Tripp-Lite Smart 1500LCD 1500 Va/900 W.
If you don't set your printer up with a static IP, it's assigned IP address might change after coming back up from a power outage or network reset, depending on other devices connected and the order in which they poll the router for a IP after power returns. This is a minor inconvenience as it is simple to go in Windows' Control Panel > Devices and Printers and edit the properties.

But to avoid having to run around to all the computers on the network and change the printer's properties, I set the printer's IP address in my router's connected devices table so it always gets re-assigned the same address.

At any rate, I am glad you got it going.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Thank you Broe23 and Itaregid

I will work on setting up static IP's. I only have the laptop and printer that run wire less. Should be a quick fix.

Thank you

Gordon

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP r031ds
    CPU
    Intell(R) CPU N2920 1.86 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intell Preamim processer N and J searies
    Memory
    Realtec PCIE Card Reader
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel (R) HD graphics
    Browser
    Fire fox
    Antivirus
    McAfee
You really don't have to worry about static IPs for your computers and other attached devices. It is just that you need to tell the printer properties in Windows the IP address of any networked printers so that computer can print. It does not matter if the computer's IP address changes as long as the printer's does not change.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hello Itqregid

Oh I guess Things are all set for a while.

Thank you

Gordon

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP r031ds
    CPU
    Intell(R) CPU N2920 1.86 GHz