Windows Media Center is being offered free by Micrososft

Windows Media Centerr is being offered free from Microsoft (providing you have Windows 8 Pro) until late January.
The website is here Add features - Microsoft Windows
But:
The website has been having a problem so if you want the Media Center Application you need to call Microsoft at 1800-6427676 (USA)

Use the option for Tech Support
and next one for Windows 8 apps and store

Tell the tech you want the product Key for Media Center

Once they give it to you:
Go to the Metro IU Screen , make sure you have Settings Highlighted
Then in the Search type: add features
then click Add features to Windows 8
I already have the product key
Enter the product key and click Next
Read the liscense terms, select the check box to accept then click ADD features
Your Pc will reboot and Windows media Center will be available for use

I tried that site 6 x's I only got it to work once. On the second machine I upgraded, I gave up and called Micrososft today. The tech told me they have been having problems with the site with people who really do not have Windows 8 getting a key, so now they want to verify that you have 8, they will ask you to put in a code and it phone homes to Micrososft and then they give you the product key.

Anyone got a working UK based number for MS as the one I found on the site is dropping my calls after 30 seconds which is annoying :(

I have been trying for 2 weeks now to get a free key sent and my first attempt said I would get one within 72 hours to no avail, every attempt since then using many different email addresses and IP's have resulted in 'We couldn't process your order'.

I am running Windows 8 Pro just to clarify lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux
Just an update, phoned the UK number and finally got through without the call dropping (turns out I was having work done by Virgin Media in my area) and after giving the product ID I was given an upgrade key right away over the phone and had an email sent to my address to confirm.

I was told that if I forgot it in future and needed to reinstall Windows a record of it was stored with them which they could reissue me a new one.

I asked about the site and was told that due to misuse the site was currently not taking further applications and that in the coming days a new system would be in place to ensure only those with Windows 8 could get a key.

So all is well that ends well, 2 weeks waiting for a mail and I got it done within a few mins via phone.

Well done MS :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux
Registered but never got a key. Tried again and it said it was unavailable so gave up. Never liked it or used it, I have iTunes for music and I don't watch DVD/blurays on my PC so it's no great loss. I do have VLC for the rare occasion when I might need it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
I never use it either, likewise I use VLC or MediaPlayer Classic for all the things I need to view and iTunes and Spotify for all the things Aural :)

The only reason I wanted it was because I hate it when things are advertised for free and then you can't get them, it drives me nuts lol

Still worth adding though for those who use the PC as a media center although in all fairness why on earth would anyone do that when there is XBMC to use lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux
I was having this problem so I used the microsoft chat to contact them. the one who was helping me wanted to be sure my windows was legit lol. today I got an email from him with my key.

I think they really need to check this because my brother just told me that many people are asking for the media center key using a pirated windows, and when they add it, then it starts working as an original version?? sorry my english is bad. so yeah, i understand why they are doing this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    I7 3770
Well who'd have thought it, just checking this latest post and my email arrives with my key, only took a couple of weeks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Ha Ha I just had 3 turn up at once, hope they all don't turn up as I used 12 diff email addresses trying to get one key lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux
Mine dropped into my inbox today. Typically, I'm away from home tonight so won't have a chance to try it. Is there a WMC8 section in this forum?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Shuttle SG33G5M
    CPU
    Intel Q8300
    Memory
    4GB DDR2 1066MHz
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    128GB OCZ Vertex 4 SSD
    2x500GB Seagate Barracuda
    Keyboard
    Logitech DiNovo Mini
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity 65 Mbps
It sounds like they tightened the requirements to get a key. There were or are people using a loophole in the process to cheat the requirement to actually buy Windows 8 Pro. Apparently it doesn't care if its OEM, Retail, or Volume license (KMS) as long as its 8 Pro and already activated. That's the way it was anyway. It wouldn't surprise me if (KMS) activated PC are now excluded. The free offer was never meant for business customers anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard