Solved Windows malicious software stopped working

I simply removed the MRT.exe file from Windows/System32 and put in on a backup drive.
No more errors, even after maintenance.
I downloaded the manual version of the MSRT Tool from Microsoft and it ran fine with no issues.
Since so many users are experiencing this (at least those who look at the logs), my feeling is this may be an issue only with the February MSRT from Windows Update. I'll wait and see if it's fixed with the next update due on March 11.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
So many users? There's 2 or 3 of you (here anyway.)

If there was an issue with it, neither you nor I would be able to post on this site due to denial of service.

Like I keep saying, something inherent to the problem systems is causing it to crash, and that #1 likely reason is malware or rootkit.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus
Can you recommend an antivirus program to check whether there is malware or rootkit. I have already ran Malwarebytes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro/ Windows 8 Enterprise
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Inspiron 1545/ Asus F5V
Can you recommend an antivirus program to check whether there is malware or rootkit. I have already ran Malwarebytes.

Now we're talking. I hope you don't find anything, but it's the right thing to check, IMHO.

I think Malwarebytes makes a separate rootkit scanner, ADWCleaner seemed pretty nifty last I used it and Norton makes some kind of tool to scan for rootkits. (I just wouldn't install anything from Norton that keeps permanent drivers on the machine. I don't think the scanner does, but I never used it.)

And then there's this, specifically to search out TDSS rootkit and variants: TDSSKiller Download

If they don't find anything, then you either have something that some genius made lol or system is clean and well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I have scanned with TDSSKiller. This is the result: Capture.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
I am using three machines with Windows 8.1, I encountered the same issue on two of them at the same time. I solved the issue for one via reinstalling of the OS a few days later as the errors bugged me. Another point of the problem is that one is able to use MRT manually but it keeps crashing during or after an automatic maintenance.
The problem started on that patch day and I do not think that persistently pointing to any malware is the way to go here, the culprit could be something else.

As for the number of people having this issue: the numbers or users here reporting this problem is by no means representative, if noone repots here that can never mean that everything is nice and ok and noone has problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 32bit/64bit
I am using three machines with Windows 8.1, I encountered the same issue on two of them at the same time.

Thanks for the information that supports the probability of malware present to the highest degree.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I am using three machines with Windows 8.1, I encountered the same issue on two of them at the same time.

Thanks for the information that supports the probability of malware present to the highest degree.

I know you would say that: you want to see malware so everthing would indicate maleware to you; MRT gave negative results so far as other programs but that is not going to convince you as you convinced yourself already.
I would have got maleware through Windows Update as the error happend directly afterwards and I just used that PC for updating the same day the error has started.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 32bit/64bit
I don't want to see anything in particular. I go by odds and facts, and that is always the smartest way to do, regardless if the hunches are correct in the end or not. That's all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
I am using three machines with Windows 8.1, I encountered the same issue on two of them at the same time. I solved the issue for one via reinstalling of the OS a few days later as the errors bugged me. Another point of the problem is that one is able to use MRT manually but it keeps crashing during or after an automatic maintenance.
The problem started on that patch day and I do not think that persistently pointing to any malware is the way to go here, the culprit could be something else.
As for the number of people having this issue: the numbers or users here reporting this problem is by no means representative, if noone repots here that can never mean that everything is nice and ok and noone has problems .

Just curious - after you re-installed the OS on the one PC, did you apply the February MSRT update again, and if so, were there no more errors?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
I don't want to see anything in particular. I go by odds and facts, and that is always the smartest way to do, regardless if the hunches are correct in the end or not. That's all.

The sole fact is that some guys have problems, actually one program is crashing under certain conditions recently, and that program is called MRT and that crashing apparently started with the last patch day, everything else is speculation and interpretation. (And I said "under certain conditions" because MRT works fine when started manually and it never found anything regardless of quickly scanning or fully scanning the system.)
After the reinstall another issue still persisted since the last patch day: after installing any modern app the wifi connection is lost for a few seconds so that I have to install the apps one by one -- it was so after the patch day and before the reinstall of the OS and it was the same again after installing the last updates. I never had these problems before said patch day and maybe something got broken in Win 8.1 for some configurations.

Just curious - after you re-installed the OS on the one PC, did you apply the February MSRT update again, and if so, were there no more errors?

I reinstalled everything and that version of MRT is installed again but I got that error only during an automatic maintenance, so two PCs, both 32 bit, had that problem and the 64 bit never got that problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 32bit/64bit
The sole fact is that some guys have problems, actually one program is crashing under certain conditions recently, and that program is called MRT

Back to square one, full circle and all of that good stuff. If it is not malware crashing an extremely small fraction of machines, then what else could it possibly be?

I can't think of anything else, myself. I happen to know a thing or two about Microsoft's OSes too, so it's not like I'm just saying, "Oh boy I'm stumped. Must be malware."

I would not at all be surprised to learn that it is involving rikvm rootkit, which hides itself and cannot be seen without WinDBG. It is flourishing as of late.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus

I reinstalled everything and that version of MRT is installed again but I got that error only during an automatic maintenance, so two PCs, both 32 bit, had that problem and the 64 bit never got that problem.

Interesting, my system is also 32-bit and I only got that error after automatic maintenance. Running the MRT tool downloaded from MS's website manually never shows any issues in the logs. Since 64-bit systems are now way more prevalent out there, that could be why this issue isn't being reported on a widespread basis.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen

Interesting, my system is also 32-bit and I only got that error after automatic maintenance. Running the MRT tool downloaded from MS's website manually never shows any issues in the logs. Since 64-bit systems are now way more prevalent out there, that could be why this issue isn't being reported on a widespread basis.

After I reinstalled the entire OS (as I got the problem that Windows Defender were unable to download any updates) everything was good so far except the other issue with the app updates; I do not think maleware is involved as I gave one fix-it from Microsoft a try and I think it did more bad than good.
I never downloaded MRT manually, I used the same MRT which got installed via Windows Update (typed mrt into the Run window and used the different scan options), and everything worked perfectly and no error occured -- till an automatic maintenance started some time later.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 32bit/64bit
(as I got the problem that Windows Defender were unable to download any updates)

Yet another indicator of malware having been present.

Hopefully it does not crop up again as I'm guessing you didn't use Killdisk.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
Well, it's Patch Tuesday, so I put the MRT.exe file back into the Windows/System32 and downloaded the new update for Malicious Software Removal Tool. Still show application error 1000 in the event log after I triggered a manual maintenance job. The file was not replaced by the update. It's still version 5.9.9902.0 with the same time stamp.
I fact, in Windows Explorer, it shows the file was created back in 2010 and modified in February's update. So, I'm just going to remove the MRT.exe file again and just run the standalone version of the MSRT Tool for March.
I'd be interested to hear if the other 32-bit users affected by this issue have the same MRT.exe file version?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GT-240
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell P2714T Touchscreen
My system successfully updated the new version of MRT to 5.10.... And till now the errors have stopped. I have done like that: removed the mrt log in debug folder (windows/debug). Deleted the two files: MPGEAR and one more but cant remember what his name was in the Windows/Temp folder. Installed all the march patch updates and that's it. Hope this works also for you :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
In the past I found that MSRT went into a folder where it wasn't easily accessible. Not only that, but it didn't delete past versions of it. MSRT is set to run a scan automatically if you d/l it along with the updates.

For a while now I have been d/l ing the standalone version, running it before I do the updates, then refreshing the updates list. It disappears from the list once it has been run. Then I d/l the rest of the updates. I haven't had any problems with it doing it that way & I have easy access to it should I need to run it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 32, Win 7 64 Pro, Win 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    It's a Dell, Dude.
    CPU
    Intel Caffinated Core Duo
    Motherboard
    Father is bored too.
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVidia something-or-another
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" HD TV/Monitor/Alternative Dimensional Viewing Portal
    Screen Resolution
    Fuzzy after a couple drinks
    Hard Drives
    2 or 3, depending on if it's a night they're arguing about having a "split personality crisis" because I partitioned the drive.
    Case
    Don't get on my case....man
    Cooling
    Scotch on the rocks on the weekends..
    Keyboard
    Mad Catz Cyborg V7. Or maybe Cyborg Catz Are Mad At V7's??? I know it lights up...far out.
    Mouse
    currently being stalked by the cat...
    Internet Speed
    Never fast enough...
    Browser
    Defeated by Mario...wait...OH...BRowser...
    Antivirus
    Various
My system successfully updated the new version of MRT to 5.10.... And till now the errors have stopped. I have done like that: removed the mrt log in debug folder (windows/debug). Deleted the two files: MPGEAR and one more but cant remember what his name was in the Windows/Temp folder. Installed all the march patch updates and that's it. Hope this works also for you :)
I don't know exactly what happened, but somehow the new version 5.10 of MRT.exe is now in my System32 folder, even after I deleted the old version that was not overwritten when I updated yesterday. I'm not set for automatic windows updates, so I don't understand how it got there. Also, that file MPgear.dll is now gone altogether. Bottom line is now when I run maintenance (at least manually) there is no more event log error for MRT.exe. So, at least for now, seems like the new version did the trick.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 32-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homebuilt
    CPU
    Intel Xeon X3230
    Motherboard
    Intel D975XBX2