Solved Windows eight complaints

No, it doesn't - I am already quite familiar with the other editions - I am not looking for features - I like to have control - you used to get that with Windows - now you don't.

It simply is not Your PC any more.

That is the problem with win8 - not the kiddie Ui.

It's your physical PC hardware or device. You own it. Technically you don't own the OS. You bought the license to use it. You continue to have the choice to use it or not on your device.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
My God! We're getting much closer to a Clockwork Orange with this guy around. If I say any more, Dwarf will Ban me from this site and I'm beginning to like it here. Feels like Purple Haze.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
My God! We're getting much closer to a Clockwork Orange with this guy around. If I say any more, Dwarf will Ban me from this site and I'm beginning to like it here. Feels like Purple Haze.

You're just a rolling ball of fire, aren't you?!!

Just who were you referring to?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
I was referring to the gifted insight about the License being bought and paid for but not owned. I suppose this is why I run loose and fast with MSFT . I'm a Track Star - time to lace 'em up.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
I only have two complaints.

1. A clean install should be mandatory. I tried an upgrade install from Windows 7 64 bit and my computer was sluggish and Media Center didn't work properly (couldn't access program guide). Once I did a clean install everything worked fine.

2. This happened after 4 days of uptime: I had a memory low dialog appear last night. I had about 10 tabs opened in Chrome, Microsoft Store and Mail. I opened Task manager and it showed that I had 11.1 GB of 11.2 GB of pagefile committed. I have 3GB of actual RAM and it also was showing all in use. I restarted and opened the same apps and tabs and it pagefile was at 1.7/11.2 and RAM usage was at 1.4/3.0.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    AcerAspire ME600
    CPU
    Core i5 Quad-Core CPU Speed 3330 (3GHz)
    Motherboard
    North Bridge Chipset Intel B75 Express
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 2500
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio with 5.1-channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hewlett-Packard SmartBuy LV1911 18.5" LED Backlit LCD Monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x768
    Hard Drives
    1 TB (Terabyte) SATA hard drive.
    PSU
    300W
    Other Info
    This is my living room PC with Media Center. Not a gamer.
Ok, killswitch. Wasn't sure of your connotation to Clockwork Orange. One could read it to be negative, whether it be the book or the British security services project in Northern Ireland. On the positive aspect it could mean the freedom of choice between good and evil. I'll take it you meant the latter.

Thanks for the positive comment on the insight. I'm no lawyer, but I have read and understood EULAs for quote some time. Let's make this clear and correct me if I'm wrong. MS creates and owns their software. One purchases the license for the "right" to use the software. Just as one buys a license to drive their vehicle on the public automobile infrastructure. One doesn't own the infrastructure, but purchases the "right" to use the infrastructure.

Therefore, one does not own the OS. MS or anyone can create a product any way they see fit. It's called free enterprise. They create and peddle their wares and consumers have a choice whether to buy the right to use it or the actual tangible product itself.

I've been on this forum for some time to read most of the positive and negative comments and opinions of 8. A whole spectrum of them. Anywhere from "I love this OS!" to "I hate this OS". Members have every right to express their opinions, certainly. One can squawk all they want to get MS's attention, but I don't think it will do any good. 8 is what it is. No more, no less.

MS has taken away choices to create a "leaner", faster, and more importantly a more user-friendly OS, which has been their goal since day one and what has made them the success they are IMO.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Agreed. MSFT is a glorified monopoly which is now beginning to assert a control factor into its product in a most unsettling way. That's why I tried Linux and Ubuntu for awhile. When I hadda jump thru hoops to enable my Realtek WLAN to become enabled
on their Distros, I went back and tried Win8 on for size. However, if you backtrack into this thread and find the spot where some noodnick calls me a Troll and I get a polite Staff Notice from Dwarf to watch my tone of voice, I scratch my head and wonder. What I said to that woman was as smooth as the day is long. Goodday.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Maybe a few more realistic complaints will make this thread more fun. :)

Just don't try to install any of the Windows Live Essentials stuff guys. Because in order to install the Live Essential stuff you also need to install the old .NET framework BS which by the way, COMPLETELY HOSES YOUR OP SYSTEM, missing files, drivers and the personal Homegroup icons disappear from explorer and sfc/scannow can't or won't fix it.

So because of this NO Windows Messenger in desktop mode, NO POP 3 server for Outlook mail at all, not to mention you can't set up a POP email server in the mail App which is ridiculous. None of this happened in the CP, so what good is having a Consumer Preview when it loses basic functionality in the final release?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
I don't quite see it as a monopoly as much as it was shrewd business decisions coinciding with good products. Was it really MS's fault OEMs sold so many machines with Windows loaded? I'm of the opinion that it wasn't. Obviously others saw different, like the lovely U.S. government. It seems since then MS has been losing market share, so they're taking a big chance with 8 and the hardware business end. Perhaps in the future they won't need the OEMs then therefore no monopoly. Sounds to me like some more shrewd business decisions, eh?

So far as infractions are concerned. I had one early on. I had to step back and look at my attitude. I was wrong. I simply had to take a more mature approach. :) I wish you the best of luck!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
1. MS used to use "It's Your PC" as an ad slogan.

That was largely true. It is why many slightly more advanced users used windows in preference to Apple. They could make it do the things they want. They invested a lot of time and effort learning about it - in many cases, helping out on Forums and defending Windows to Apple users.

That is no longer the case - it is no longer "Your PC". MS have taken away control. It is a very big change. Most users who click/jab at the screen may not be aware of it.

2. MS have allegedly over 90% of the market. By any sensible definition that is a monopoly.

Most people do not have a choice - Linux is a non starter, and they don't have $1200 (UK prices ) for a macbook.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I have always installed some of the Windows Live Essentials programs and have never had any issues with the install been running Windows 8 Pro on my Laptop with dual SSD's for many months with no more issues than 2-3 and most were my mistakes. I am getting ready to do the install on my desktop but am doing a clean install after running the Windows 8 upgrade advisor and it found to many issues with software for me so , I am doing a clean install. I was being help back on doing the Desktop because of no Media Center until it was offer for free. Once you learn the short cuts to Windows 8 etc and read some of the MS info on the internal working of 8 it becomes a much better user experience as far as I am concerned. Love the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Home Built Antec P-180B Case
    CPU
    Intel E8400
    Motherboard
    Asus P5QPro Turbo
    Memory
    Kingston PC6300 4 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD5670
If the PC is so popular it's may be because of the Microsoft Monopoly, I remember very well the pre-Windows area, in the PC you have the Real IBM one, the Compaq that was supposed to be 90% compatible ( no IBM PC software I tried at the time work on it ) Tandy have other thing, Commodore too .... so if Microsoft as not take the monopoly I'm not sure so many peoples will have take the plunge because in the pre-Windows area only few very enthusiast persons was purchasing computers.

Now we have 6 OS; Windows, OSX , IOS, Android , Linux and the new Windows rt. We are getting again in an area where we have to choose our OS vs what applications we want to run.... this is more or less good because if I purchase applications for 1 os they will not fit if I change OS latter. At least Microsoft make an effort with Windows 8 as any application made for the Windows Rt ( metro) , work also on Windows 8

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I have always installed some of the Windows Live Essentials programs and have never had any issues with the install been running Windows 8 Pro on my Laptop with dual SSD's for many months with no more issues than 2-3 and most were my mistakes. I am getting ready to do the install on my desktop but am doing a clean install after running the Windows 8 upgrade advisor and it found to many issues with software for me so , I am doing a clean install. I was being help back on doing the Desktop because of no Media Center until it was offer for free. Once you learn the short cuts to Windows 8 etc and read some of the MS info on the internal working of 8 it becomes a much better user experience as far as I am concerned. Love the OS.

I also had no problems for many months with Windows Live Essential programs with all previous versions of Windows 8, until I installed the RTM that is.... This problem was discovered and confirmed by me and it took me three images to figure out which program was causing the problem. The funny thing was that both Windows messenger and Outlook worked fine but the old .NET install before hand does indeed over write certain system files which is easily confirmed and also unfixable with sfc/scannow.

Maybe you won't see this problem and maybe you will, the effects of this problem are not easily noticed, but none the less the problems are there and they will occur again on other systems. The most obvious clue was that the personal icons for my other Homegroup machines vanished and left a blank page where the image use to be, my Homegroup picture also vanished, this is not an easy problem to notice but it will repeat on pretty much every single system that installs the old .NET framework. Just because you didn't notice the problem does not mean it's not there.

Just go ahead and install the mandatory old .NET framework stuff which is now required in order to run some of the Live Essential programs and you will see what I mean. Try running an sfc/scannow after that and let me know what it says but don't say I didn't warn you. :)

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW
    Memory
    8GB Gskill DDR2 1200Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX-480
    Sound Card
    Asus D2 Xonar
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HannsG
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Gskill 120GB SSD
    PSU
    Thermal Take 1000watts
    Case
    Thermal Take Xtreme
    Cooling
    9 fans air cooled
    Keyboard
    G15 logitech
    Mouse
    G9 logitech
    Internet Speed
    50mbps
1. MS used to use "It's Your PC" as an ad slogan.

That was largely true. It is why many slightly more advanced users used windows in preference to Apple. They could make it do the things they want. They invested a lot of time and effort learning about it - in many cases, helping out on Forums and defending Windows to Apple users.

That is no longer the case - it is no longer "Your PC". MS have taken away control. It is a very big change. Most users who click/jab at the screen may not be aware of it.

I'm quite sure you've read my outlook from a business point of view. Change of direction due to the change of market. Others have gained substantial market share due to their innovation. Apple and Google being the major players. If anything, they capitalized on this popular upcoming market. MS tried there best with the Windows phone to no avail. There seems to be this fallacy amongst the population that "MS is not about touch navigation. They're all about the PC with the keyboard and mouse navigation". Obviously MS is trying their might to overcome this fallacy with 8.

MS has taken away personalization choices to slim down the model for efficiency. For the most part the general population cared less about this aspect. Wallpaper or a pic of their children as background was about it. They could care less how everything else was arranged, just as long as it worked. Start Menu? Control Panel? Device Manager? Windows Shell? <- What are those?!!

It is why many slightly more advanced users used windows in preference to Apple??? IBM -> PC. Apple -> Mac. Two different architectures that catered to two different industries. PC -> Number crunchers for businesses. Mac -> Number crunchers for the film and the arts. It so happened there was more market demand for the first. That was it in the beginning. Different story today.

2. MS have allegedly over 90% of the market. By any sensible definition that is a monopoly.

Most people do not have a choice - Linux is a non starter, and they don't have $1200 (UK prices ) for a macbook.

I'll quote Wiktionary here:

"A situation, by legal privilege or other agreement, in which solely one party (company, cartel etc.) exclusively provides a particular product or service, dominating that market and generally exerting powerful control over it."

Solely meaning 100% the only one. Not 90% via "sensible definition". At one time for many years in the U.S. AT&T owned the whole telephone infrastructure, the research labs (Bell Labs), state telephone companies, the manufacturing of telephones, the servicing divisions, etc. <- That was a monopoly.

There were and still remain other companies that sell other OSs of which some are open source and free.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Maybe a few more realistic complaints will make this thread more fun. :)

Just don't try to install any of the Windows Live Essentials stuff guys. Because in order to install the Live Essential stuff you also need to install the old .NET framework BS which by the way, COMPLETELY HOSES YOUR OP SYSTEM, missing files, drivers and the personal Homegroup icons disappear from explorer and sfc/scannow can't or won't fix it.

So because of this NO Windows Messenger in desktop mode, NO POP 3 server for Outlook mail at all, not to mention you can't set up a POP email server in the mail App which is ridiculous. None of this happened in the CP, so what good is having a Consumer Preview when it loses basic functionality in the final release?

Which old .NET framework? I had to install 3.5 before installing Battlefield 3. Win 8 popped up, closed the installer, recognized something was missing, downloaded and installed and everything is fine - so how does .NET hose your system?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Self built
    CPU
    Intel i3 3220 @ 3.3Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte H77M-D3H
    Memory
    Kingston Value RAM - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CAS 9