Windows Blue poised to become Windows 8.1

Microsoft officials supposedly have decided on the final name for Windows Blue. The final decision, one of my sources told me, is that it will be Windows 8.1.

The client version of Blue, codenamed Windows Blue, is a refresh of Windows 8. It is expected to be released to manufacturing around August of this year. As I've blogged a few times, Microsoft is planning to position Blue as part of the Windows 8 wave, not as Windows 9.

Read more at source:
Windows Blue poised to become Windows 8.1 | Microsoft - CNET News

In theory, that sentiment may be good, but in practice, it won't work like that. At the end of the day, you'll be paying a lot more than you do now and potentially with some inconvenience. No one provides subscription models because it's for the benefit of the consumer.
Even if you paid a little more in the end, if you were always up to date on the latest versions and you didn't have to perform upgrades yourself, the slight extra cost could be worth it. Not to mention, the ability to get your data from anywhere, (PC, tablet, phone, car, watch, etc).

As far as inconvenience goes, I'm already dealing with that. License keys, activation schemes, copy protection mechanisms. Pirates usually work right around that stuff, while those of us who actually plunk down our money deal with the problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
In theory, that sentiment may be good, but in practice, it won't work like that. At the end of the day, you'll be paying a lot more than you do now and potentially with some inconvenience. No one provides subscription models because it's for the benefit of the consumer.
Even if you paid a little more in the end, if you were always up to date on the latest versions and you didn't have to perform upgrades yourself, the slight extra cost could be worth it. Not to mention, the ability to get your data from anywhere, (PC, tablet, phone, car, watch, etc).

As far as inconvenience goes, I'm already dealing with that. License keys, activation schemes, copy protection mechanisms. Pirates usually work right around that stuff, while those of us who actually plunk down our money deal with the problems.

I theory, but once you go to a subscription model, you tend to get locked in and if prices start to rise, you are loathe to change because you are so committed and so much may be difficult to move. This is especially likely for the average person who doesn't have a lot of IT knowledge. But that's what those who push subscription models hope/know will happen.

Also, depending on how the model works and what exactly you can load into your device remote, ie away from internet, work may become problematic. Adobe apparently offer a subscription model for Photoshop, where the software resides on Adobe servers, you can't do anything unless you are connected. At least that's how it appears to work. If things go this way, then the Google Chromebook seems like an even better solution for most people. Cheaper devices, always accessible (given internet connection) and everything in one place.

Personally, I don't have a problem dealing with activation keys etc, I have to deal with them anyway with the multitude of programs that I use, so one or two more are fairly irrelevant. I have 42 of them so far and I doubt many of them will go to a subscription model.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Here's what else MS need's to fix

Why can't password manager's work in the Modern version of I.E. ? I can't use A.I. Roboform in it. Why won't safe toolbar's like for various internet security suite's work in it either ? Program's like Xmark's are also unusable in Modern I.E. How about a equalizer, etc. for Xbox Music and Videos ? Where's Task Manager's ability to show the desktop software's history at ? Why doesn't File History automatically backuo the downloads folder ? Why can't Microsoft's own core pre-installed desktop program's and modern app's speak to each other, i/e: setting's, etc. ? P.S. Microsoft the desktop can't truly be killed for another 5-10 year's. Dual-core cpu's have been out since summer 2005. Now 4, 6 and 8-core cpu's are in most desktps, laptops and ultra-books. Of the thousand's of proram's/software currently available, how many utilize these cpu's to their potential ? How many are Modern U.I app's ? How many are Desktop U.I. ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro w/Media Center x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self built
    CPU
    AMD FX 8350
    Motherboard
    Asus Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
    Memory
    G-Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 2400 16 gbs.
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI N760 TF 2GD5OC
    Sound Card
    on-bord Realtek ALC 889/ALC 892
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 256 gb. ssd. & Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 3.o tb.
    PSU
    Corsair HX-850 watt
    Case
    Corsair Carbide 500r White
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro Series H-100, 3 120mm. & 1 200mm. case fan's
    Keyboard
    Logitech wired
    Mouse
    Logitech wired
    Internet Speed
    30 m.b.p.s.
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox 26
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Internet Security 2014
    Other Info
    Iomega Pro Series U.S.B. 2.0/eS.A.T.A. 2.0tb. h.d., Seagate Backup Plus U.S.B. 3.0 3.0tb. h.d., Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 t.v. tuner, Logitech x530 5.1 speaker's, Logitech c615 webcam, Logitech h150 headset, M.S. Xbox 360 wired gamepad & Xbox 360 as W.M.C. extender
It didn't take up the whole screen.

For example, does a TV remote control have to be this big:

View attachment 19648
YES. . .old guys like me need them that big so we can see them. . .:p

Heck, wish they made keyboards much larger. . .:D

But the Windows 8 start screen isn't aimed at us old farts, it's aimed at the hip youngsters, the 'now' generation.

That is because our "expiration date" is near and younger buyers is not....MS needs to find and keep younger buyers to survive.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Hi there
The trouble with subscription services is that

1) you have to (generally) sign some type of automatic payment from a Bank to the service provider ---- I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS IN ANY SHAPE OR FORM. I'll pay when I want to pay. Once you sign things like "Direct Debit Mandates" you are effectively giving 3rd parties control overt YOUR Bank account - whatever Banks say about "Checks on direct debits" -- if THEY make a mistake with your money it often takes a while to get it rectified -- and even if the Bank offers you compensation - it's of no use if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with a credit card that doesn't work because the Bank has made an error -- ever tried arguing the toss with someone on a Friday afternoon at those hideous Indian Call centres these Banks use trying to get a mistake fixed. - Banks make more mistakes than you might like to think about.

2) Once you sign a contract you don't tend to get the best deal -- new deals are coming out all the time --just look at Mobile Phone contracts -- those who sign up first usually get a lousy deal while "New subscribers" get a sweetener.

3) The subscription invariably needs to be renewed just when you've had to pay out some money for something else - maybe a Car repair etc so it arrives at an inconvenient time.

4) If you aren't on the internet for say several days after your subscription is due - you could get termination or suspension of service.

5) If the REMOTE server goes down you are totally hosed.

6) These companies do NOT introduce a subscription model for nothing --they KNOW it will be much more profitable for them -- for example I'm still using Office 2007 a lot -- 7 years old -- and it STILL works fine -- just imagine the people at Ms "Licking their lips" with saying - subscription -- even a Cheap one --that's 6 YEARS subscriptions they could have been collecting on a student / teacher edition which only costs 65 USD in the first place.

7) Prices invariably RISE - and if you are dependent on the software you just have to pony up.

No way am I going to be tied in to this type of stuff.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I don't really fear this. As we move to more device types, it would be nice to have an account rather than a perpetual software license.

Not too mention, you could add and remove services as you need them. Would be nice when you need something for a few weeks, but don't want to pay for permanent use.

You are right. Kind of like cable/satellite TV where you have access to hundreds of channels but rarely or never watch them. We will be paying for MS services we do not want or need.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
I'll never fully do the software as a service. That's exactly why I'm keeping Office 2010 instead of getting Office 2013 or Office 365. I save my stuff where I want it . On my pc, external hard drives and on my secure Carbonite off-site backup. As for internet security, I usually get a newer version on Amazon for cheaper than the companie's renewal fee.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self built
    CPU
    AMD FX 8350
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI N760 TF 2GD5OC
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX-850 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech wired
    Mouse
    Logitech wired
    Internet Speed
    30 m.b.p.s.
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox 26
    Antivirus
    Other Info
    Iomega Pro Series U.S.B. 2.0/eS.A.T.A. 2.0tb. h.d., Seagate Backup Plus U.S.B. 3.0 3.0tb. h.d., Hauppage WinTV HVR-1850 t.v. tuner, Logitech x530 5.1 speaker's, Logitech c615 webcam, Logitech h150 headset, M.S. Xbox 360 wired gamepad & Xbox 360 as W.M.C. extender
Why can't password manager's work in the Modern version of I.E. ? I can't use A.I. Roboform in it. Why won't safe toolbar's like for various internet security suite's work in it either ? Program's like Xmark's are also unusable in Modern I.E. How about a equalizer, etc. for Xbox Music and Videos ? Where's Task Manager's ability to show the desktop software's history at ? Why doesn't File History automatically backuo the downloads folder ? Why can't Microsoft's own core pre-installed desktop program's and modern app's speak to each other, i/e: setting's, etc. ? P.S. Microsoft the desktop can't truly be killed for another 5-10 year's. Dual-core cpu's have been out since summer 2005. Now 4, 6 and 8-core cpu's are in most desktps, laptops and ultra-books. Of the thousand's of proram's/software currently available, how many utilize these cpu's to their potential ? How many are Modern U.I app's ? How many are Desktop U.I. ?

When I'm on my laptop I can better explain, but I can tell you this:
Modern apps are compartmentilized, which means that windows controls what the app does and can access (and how much it uses). Desktop apps are basically disorganized. Yes, they can just reside in their own folder in C:/Program Files, but that's not enforced. In fact, application componentscan reside anywhere, making it difficult for the os to track what belongs to what.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 840M
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15" Touchscreen
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    1TB Hybrid
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000
Make's sense in a way.

Some software should be able to work in either u.i. It's not by any mean's all Microsoft's fault. The various software companies are equally at fault. That's exactly why the desktop u.i can't be done away wih. If Microsoft did that too soon, it would put itself out of business real fast. None of their hardware would save them

When I'm on my laptop I can better explain, but I can tell you this:
Modern apps are compartmentilized, which means that windows controls what the app does and can access (and how much it uses). Desktop apps are basically disorganized. Yes, they can just reside in their own folder in C:/Program Files, but that's not enforced. In fact, application componentscan reside anywhere, making it difficult for the os to track what belongs to what.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    self built
    CPU
    AMD FX 8350
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI N760 TF 2GD5OC
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ViewSonic VX2250wm-LED
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair HX-850 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech wired
    Mouse
    Logitech wired
    Internet Speed
    30 m.b.p.s.
    Browser
    IE 11 & Firefox 26
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Hi there
Surely the whole idea of FIXED full screen apps is actually OLD FASHIONED now -- many people also use large TV's as PC monitors - do you really want to run everything as a single full screen app on a whopping 60 inch LCD screen -- might be fine for watching a movie -- but for creating a presentation, running Photoshop with several layers, translating documents etc -- you need to view the applications CONCURRENTLY.

Also what a waste --say you've got a blazingly fast i7 multicore processor --- what a waste then if you are running a single application in a full screen window.

Also whoever runs a browser in a single full screen window -- especially without any Menu or toolbars on it.

In fact a lot of the multi-media content on a PC is getting superfluous anyway in a lot of cases as TV's incorporate smart technology to enable them to be able to get content directly from The Internet or multi-media server drives.

On laptop PC's viewing multi-media is still OK but increasingly you no longer need a PC for viewing Internet content if you have access to a smart tv.

I'm looking forward to smart TV's actually incorporating something like Chrome OS in them -- then during the commercial breaks I can view email etc etc -- bet the TV companies will try and find some way of stopping this from happening.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Also whoever runs a browser in a single full screen window -- especially without any Menu or toolbars on it.
I do, I have no need for superfluous toolbars or menus.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014

Hi there
then you've OBVIOUSLY never bought a plane ticket in your life over the Internet or ever checked say prices on two or more different web sites without doing a lot of scrolling and switching -- I'd hate to rely on that method of working if you needed to check details say from 5 or 6 different web sites.

I don't really believe a lot of what you actually post is your OWN experience as it would seem to me to be quite obviously not.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there
then you've OBVIOUSLY never bought a plane ticket in your life over the Internet or ever checked say prices on two or more different web sites without doing a lot of scrolling and switching -- I'd hate to rely on that method of working if you needed to check details say from 5 or 6 different web sites.

I don't really believe a lot of what you actually post is your OWN experience as it would seem to me to be quite obviously not.

Cheers
jimbo
Ummm....it's called tabbed browsing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I've never been a fan of windowing. I'm a switcher. I multi-tab desktop IE10 being that I'm a keyboard shortcut guy. Ctrl/tab to switch through them.

I also keep my Favorites pinned to the left screen side with a folder for forum pages and threads. I find that especially handy, although one has to use the mouse to choose. WinKey/F4 drops a recent history menu down that I use often mostly to get back to my subscription page and others.

Overall I wish there was more SC keying in browsers. I'll go see if there's more in Modern/Metro IE. I need to learn that more anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I'm a guy who has lots of Windows open. The other day I was trying to handle a bunch of tasks and even with my external 24" monitor and my laptop screen, I wished I had one more display. I hate having to shuffle from one app to the other and have Windows stacked all over each other on the desktop.

For home use, I don't have that much open, but at work it is a different story. I work in a cube, I have 4 physical pc's, 3 displays, and about 35 different vms configured.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo
Ummm....it's called tabbed browsing.

Hi there
But There's NO TABS in the immersive version of IE -- please get even your OWN posts consistent.

Here's the screenshot of the Immersive (metro) IE

Where are the tabs.

I really think you've been using too much of that stuff your user is named after.

Have you ACTUALLY ever run Windows 8 -- or are you operating in "The Realms of Bovine Scatology" - because in spite of the volume of your posts I'm seeing that you really understand less and less of how Windows 8 actually works.

@HippsieGypsie -- I really do need multiple windows -- a single full screen window only works for me if I'm watching Movie / TV etc.

@pparks1 -- I don't run that many apps !!! but I really do need to compare stuff from web sites / translate documents / incorporate objects from different apps into other one's etc so having a HANDLEABLE number of concurrent windows spread in my case usually on two screens is fine -- not sure how I'd handle 35 active VM's though !!!.

The standardd version of IE -- non metro -- has tabbed browsing etc -- but again @CokeRobot - you are forever extolling the virtues of the new "UI" (Metro) but you say you like tabbed browsing which doesn't exist in that version. -- Go figure.

Cheers
jimbo

Attachments

• ie3.png
    ie3.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
But There's NO TABS in the immersive version of IE -- please get even your OWN posts consistent.
Here's the screenshot of the Immersive (metro) IE
Where are the tabs.

ietabs.jpg

Win + Z

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Hi there
doesn't work on my system (W8 x64 enterprise).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
doesn't work on my system (W8 x64 enterprise).

Cheers
jimbo

That's curious. It always worked when I was using enterprise and all previous.
I think Coke Robot uses enterprise.

cre.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Did you try right-clicking? I've got tabs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus Tansformer Book Flip TP500LN
    CPU
    Intel i5-4210U
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 SDRAM