Windows 9 Should Be Completely Free, Analyst Believes

Windows 9 is expected to launch in April 2015, according to some people close to the matter, but aside from a few features that could be included in the operating system, no other details have been provided until now.

Pricing clearly remains one of the biggest dilemmas, not only for users, but also for the Redmond-based tech giant Microsoft, as the company needs to find the perfect mix that would lead to record sales of its operating system and skyrocketing adoption for the very first days of availability.

Just like ZDNet writes in a debate over the fair price for Windows 9, a freeware license could be the winning choice for Microsoft, especially after the disappointing performance of Windows 8.

Stifel Nicolaus analyst Brad Reback also suggested that offering Windows for free might be Microsoft’s only option to keep up with competition, including Google and Apple.

Offering Windows 9 free of charge to manufacturers would basically lead to many more devices running the platform on the market, while also cutting down their prices, and thus boost the overall adoption in both the PC and the tablet sectors.
Windows 9 Should Be Completely Free, Analyst Believes

LOL

I heard something on some show that there might not even be a 8.2 now, and just go right to 9.

OK whatever, as long as a full ISO is available for direct download this time and not that crazy deal we had to go through last time from 8 to 8.1.

And yeah, MS will be fine again, as long as the GUI is selectable for NON touch desktop/Laptops Hell even a selecting of weather you want metro look, or the "old" W7 look would be fine. I have always used windows as my OS of choice.

The way I use my laptop as a desktop replacement with my 27" external monitor now, I have W8.1 "customized" to my useability with the usual suspect 3rd party stuff as it is, I see nothing metro, even removed ALL the tiles except the desktop one.

I have also read on the net that also, M$ does not want the win8 reputation on 8.2 to follow it. I think 8.2 will never see the light of day even 8.1 has a bad reputation as I have read it has only 25 million users and it is free to 8 users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    System Manufacturer/Model
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
I heard something on some show that there might not even be a 8.2 now, and just go right to 9.

OK whatever, as long as a full ISO is available for direct download this time and not that crazy deal we had to go through last time from 8 to 8.1.

And yeah, MS will be fine again, as long as the GUI is selectable for NON touch desktop/Laptops Hell even a selecting of weather you want metro look, or the "old" W7 look would be fine. I have always used windows as my OS of choice.

The way I use my laptop as a desktop replacement with my 27" external monitor now, I have W8.1 "customized" to my useability with the usual suspect 3rd party stuff as it is, I see nothing metro, even removed ALL the tiles except the desktop one.

I have also read on the net that also, M$ does not want the win8 reputation on 8.2 to follow it. I think 8.2 will never see the light of day even 8.1 has a bad reputation as I have read it has only 25 million users and it is free to 8 users.

Yeah but seems now they talk about some "8.1 Update 1", so who knows what's next.

Whatever comes out there will still be 2 camps waiting to see if what they want is there, the one that loves that "metro flat look" and one that wants the old GUI back.

As I said it would be all good to just have a selectable GUI for the hardware you will be using, ie desktop, laptop, or some phone. I use a laptop, don't need a tablet, or a cell/smart phone (too expensive to have when you don't call anybody or call you) so in my case I don't much like the "modern metro" but for those that use one of the small touch screen items its more a functional issue than looks, so I can see where its better suited for them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8.1up1 Pro x64 w/media center
    Computer type
    Laptop
    dv7t-6c00 HP
    CPU
    2670QM
    Motherboard
    HP
    Memory
    8g
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7690M XT (6770m) /Intel 3000
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Intel
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Laptop 17.3"/Samsung 26"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080 HD
    Hard Drives
    Hitichi 750g 5400 rpm Laptop
    Case
    Brushed Aluminum (steel)
    Keyboard
    external USB
    Mouse
    external USB
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    FF, IE, Chrome
    Antivirus
    COMODO Security Suite

Yeah but seems now they talk about some "8.1 Update 1", so who knows what's next.

Whatever comes out there will still be 2 camps waiting to see if what they want is there, the one that loves that "metro flat look" and one that wants the old GUI back.

As I said it would be all good to just have a selectable GUI for the hardware you will be using, ie desktop, laptop, or some phone. I use a laptop, don't need a tablet, or a cell/smart phone (too expensive to have when you don't call anybody or call you) so in my case I don't much like the "modern metro" but for those that use one of the small touch screen items its more a functional issue than looks, so I can see where its better suited for them.

The 8.1 Update 1 I bet is going to include the Cortana AI software that will coincide with its release on Windows Phone 8.1, which also will be released in the same time frame as Update 1.

Remember, it's not just Windows on the PC anymore, it's both PC and Phone now with Xbox added in the mix.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Remember, it's not just Windows on the PC anymore, it's both PC and Phone now with Xbox added in the mix.

What you're saying is true and correct, but oh man did the internet used to rule in about ~2002 (give or take) and before that, when there were no phones or Facebook on the net and people would use IRC to chat + do their dirty works. lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky integrated into ZoneAlarm+Antivirus

What you're saying is true and correct, but oh man did the internet used to rule in about ~2002 (give or take) and before that, when there were no phones or Facebook on the net and people would use IRC to chat + do their dirty works. lol

Things were better when there were no stupid snapchat, instagram, tinder, facebook, etc on the interwebs and none of those dumb apps on smartphones. That was actually a reason why I liked Windows Phone when it first came out, no stupid idiotic social media apps like instagram....

By the way, that's an AWESOME user profile name and pic! :cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
$ 20 to 40 would be the best price for windows 9.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    viktik
    Computer type
    Laptop
    MSI CR420
    CPU
    Intel i3 330M
    Motherboard
    MSI
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD 1ST GEN
    Browser
    FIREFOX
    Antivirus
    F SECURE
By the way, that's an AWESOME user profile name and pic! :cool:

Thanks! I didn't receive my video card in specs from Newegg yet (coming Tuesday), so I have been Haloing it in multiplayer like crazy lately, which works surprisingly well on the Q965/Q963 Intel integrated graphics.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7601.18247.x86fre.win7sp1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Self-built Intel based
    CPU
    Pentium D 925 3.0 GHz socket 775, Presler @ ~ 3.2 GHz
    Motherboard
    Intel DQ965MT
    Memory
    Hyundai 2 GB DDR2 @ 333 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS DirectCU II HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon HD 7790 2GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    Sound Card
    MOTU Traveler firewire interface
    Hard Drives
    1 Seagate Barracuda SATA II system/boot drive 80 GB, 2 Western Digital hdds - 1 is SATA II Caviar Black 1 TB attached to card (assorted media, page, temp), other is SATA I 420 GB (games, media, downloads)
    PSU
    Thermaltake 450W
    Cooling
    stock Gateway cooling, extra large fan in rear of case
    Keyboard
    Alienware/Microsoft Internet kb
    Mouse
    Logitech M510
    Internet Speed
    Optimum Online, fast for US
    Browser
    Pale Moon