SanDisk 64GB SSD
    Internet Speed
    6.41/5.47 MBPS
    Other Info
    WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Internal 3G (Huawei EM770W:
    HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz,
    HSUPA: 5.76Mbps (UL) / HSDPA: 7.2Mbps (DL))
I don't think it is the new Start screen per se that gets people up in arms. It is just the overall clumsiness to operate Win8 on a desktop and the quasi total lack of new and exciting funtions that will make people think twice before they invest any money into it.

There are certainly a lot of changes 'under the cover'. But they do not manifest themselves easily. Some of the performance tweaks had to be done because of the tablet specs. But for a desktop with an i7, 8GB of RAM and a couple of SSDs they do not mean much.

I was able to do everything in Win8 that I am doing in Win7 - but it was not any easier or more elegant or more anything - just the opposite. So why bother.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I don't think it is the new Start screen per se that gets people up in arms. It is just the overall clumsiness to operate Win8 on a desktop and the quasi total lack of new and exciting funtions that will make people think twice before they invest any money into it.

There are certainly a lot of changes 'under the cover'. But they do not manifest themselves easily. Some of the performance tweaks had to be done because of the tablet specs. But for a desktop with an i7, 8GB of RAM and a couple of SSDs they do not mean much.

I was able to do everything in Win8 that I am doing in Win7 - but it was not any easier or more elegant or more anything - just the opposite. So why bother.
:ditto:

I would love to buy Win8, but refuse to buy an OS for desktop work that forces me to use a Tablet/Smartfone GUI. And which lacks a legacy start menu; and where it's necessary to use hacks or work arounds to get what I already have in Win7. :( Show me the more bang for my buck!

For this reason I have unistalled Win8 as there is no point wasting any more time working with the system.

With a high end Intel mobo and CPU, SATA3 SSD HD, 12GB of RAM, USB3 ports for external storage HDs ... Win7 absolutely flies, and fulfills my wildest expectations!

Add to that an Acronis back-up image of the fully loaded OS on a storage partition on the main HD as well as on an external HD, and all my personal data stored on both. So in the event of a total system crash, or my HD even being nuked, I can restore it all back again literally in 12 - 14 minutes, including updates using ADSL3 hi-speed iNet. I can drag/drop 3GB of music from the storage partition on the HD to desktop in 42 seconds.

I mean, what more could you want? In fact I think Win7 has peaked the ultimate desktop OS, except maybe for the few tweaks and corrections in system programs in Win8. So why aren't those improvements offered as Service Pack 2 for Win7? They at least owe us that much!

I've been using a Tablet GUI on my Sony Ericcson Smartfone for the past 12 months. Ever since the get go I've shaken my head and thought: What a stupid, inept system that doesn't hold a candle to a normal desktop! It's a joke! :party:
But then, horror of horrors, M$ are forcing my worst nighmare on me with their latest OS! :doh:

A smartfone is actually half-phone, half-computer and not really good at either. Try typing a word document on a screen the size of two match boxes! And reading a web page in 8 or 10 parts because you need to expand the image size to make it readable. My old $50 Samsung mobile has more than 20 preinstalled functions that I have to download as apps on the $600 Sony ... and that's progress? Well yeah, I guess it is for the companies selling the apps.

If Win8 turns you on, I say go for it! And the best of British luck in using it. But where is the choice built in for those that don't like it? One OS for all platforms is like having one engine for all types of motor vehicles.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st PC: Win7 Ultimate 64bit Retail. 2nd PC: Vista Ulimtate 32bit OEM
    Self assembled
    CPU
    Ist PC: Intel quad core i7-960 2nd PC: Intel quad core i5-2400
    Motherboard
    DX58SO2 Extreme; Intel DH67CL
    Memory
    12GB Kingston DDR3 1300; 8GB DDR3 1300
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard graphics
    Sound Card
    Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti Graphics/Sound card; Onboard sound
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S24B300H; S23A350H
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    124GB Corsair Performance SSD SATA3; 120GB Corsair Force SSD SATA3
    Case
    Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced; Centurion 5 II
    Cooling
    CPU, Back, Top & Rear extraction fans both PCs
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Wireless Multimedia
    Mouse
    Microsoft Wireless Optical
    Internet Speed
    Theoretical max 100MB/sec Actual 0.5MB/sec

:ditto:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I think the only environment where windows 8 lets you do more is in the tablet/convertible environment -- where it blows windows 7 out of the water! I hope for MS's sake, that they made a smart gamble here. Knowing the ipad users I do, I think a lot of home users are ready to have a touch screen on their notebook. We'll see if that pans out for MS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Viliv S10 3G
    CPU
    Atom Z530 (1.6GHz)
    Memory
    1GB DDR2 SDRAM (533MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel GMA 500
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Screen Resolution
    1366/768
    Hard Drives
    SanDisk 64GB SSD
    Internet Speed
    6.41/5.47 MBPS
    Other Info
    WiFi 802.11 b/g
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR
    Internal 3G (Huawei EM770W:
    HSPA/UMTS 850/900/1900/2100MHz,
    HSUPA: 5.76Mbps (UL) / HSDPA: 7.2Mbps (DL))

:ditto: for me it's the "It is just the overall clumsiness to operate Win8 on a desktop " my most concern..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB