Windows 8 to mainstream solid-state drives, says analyst

I hope the prices do come down! Would love to install them in my laptops!
Got one in the desktop, probably the best upgrade I've ever done, would recommend it to everyone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.6GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P7P55-M
    Memory
    Crucial 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon R9 220 Series
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster HS-1100 Arena USB Surround Sound Head
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus 3D 23" VG236H 120Hz
    Screen Resolution
    1080p
    Hard Drives
    120GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA3 + 2.5TB Total SATA2
    PSU
    Antec TruePower 650W Modular PSU
    Case
    Antec P183 Noise Reducing case
    Cooling
    4x120mm Antec 3-speed fans + Arctic Cooling Freezer7 CPU fan
    Keyboard
    G15 (orange backlight)
    Mouse
    Logitech G9
    Internet Speed
    80Mb/s BT Infinity
    Other Info
    Steel Series Metal mouse matt
Seems legit. Windows 8's hybrid boot feature with a SSD makes boot time pretty much non-existent, which is what I harp on when I suggest to people about that. Along with less power consumption. Of course.

Although I have to ask the general audience, I've personally not running on a SSD (going to do so on my next motherboard upgrade so I can buy a PCI-E based SSD) so I'm kind of wondering about how Windows performs over the long run. The thing that ends up slowing Windows to a constipated poop is usually winrot or I've seen with Kaspersky, just a weird degrading of performance. Do those type of issues not ever happen with a SSD? I feel like they would.
Coke, 2 suggestions:

1. Don't buy a PCI-e attached SSD. They are a) expensive and b) are not really any faster than e.g. the new OCZ Vector

2. I have not noticed any slowdown 'in the long run'. My oldest SSD has been installed 4 years ago and the current performance is only marginally slower than on day1. The same for my other 5. I have OCZs, Intels, Crucial, Mushkin and now a brand new Vector which is not yet installed.

The reason why I'm looking at the PCI-E SSDs is that their transfer speeds definitely go past SATA III speeds for sure, usually around 900MBs/second. Also, the SATA Express bus will be released in a few years and combines SATA and PCI bus speeds for a normal form factor. I'm still iffy though on their reliability however.

And I kind of figured in the long run, a SSD overcomes any performance issues that a normal hard drive would encounter. Good to know that those problems don't exist! Now if EVERY PC had a SSD....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Don't get too impressed by those transfer speeds. What really counts is the 4K blocksize speed because that's the blocksize the OS uses 70% of the time. The big blocksizes that are so impressive on measurement charts hardly ever exist in real life. My new OCZ Vector has a R/W speed of appr. 300MB/sec for the 4K blocksize. That will be hard to beat - even with a PCI-e attached device.

But at the end, what really gives you the performance is the access time. And PCI-e devices are no better than Sate2 or Sata3 devices in that respect.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back