Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?

I'm just an occasional visitor but I have trouble understanding what your motivation is in defending each and every aspect of Windows 8, legitimate or not. Not just on this thread either but sprinkled throughout the forum. I wouldn't even be that defensive of a family member, let alone a 3 month old OS.

Windows 8 is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. I guess that is not entirely true, it is a solution for a problem Microsoft has, not I.

The UI is flashy and gets in the way. It wants to be notice. I don't want to notice my OS. It should be invisible so I can get what I need to done. I don't want to interact with it, play with it. I had to search for regedits to make my synaptics touchpad not trigger the charm bar if I even scrapped the left side of the pad. Either that or install a generic driver.

No native drivers for igfx by intel, windows provided one crashes and resets. When it resets, any video that would be playing in a browser would only play audio. The fix is to close and reopen the browser.

A November update came along. EVERYTHING slowed down for me. My SSD was relegated back to HDD speeds. Browser took a good 5 seconds to open, as did OneNote/Word/Excel. ON W7, which I am back on now? Instantaneous. Another update broke all my Metro apps. Repair function in the store did nothing to repair it. Uninstalling and reinstalling the apps did nothing to repair it. Refreshing the computer would leave the apps in tact and would do nothing to repair it.

Search - inefficient and unreliable. 0 matches in apps, 5 matches in settings, 10 in files. Lets display apps where there are 0 apps! Makes sense! Quite frequently the search wouldn't bring up a result until I finished spelling the whole thing, completely. One letter from completion, nothing. Enter final letter, there it is. Makes no sense.

Training consumers for ads - Minesweeper, Xbox Music, advertisements. Xbox music will match your music and serve up the censored version from their servers rather than play the one locally from your drive so they can serve you ads. Ads in minesweeper? No thanks. Give me back the low graphics ad free one. It is plain as day where MS is going with this and I do not like it one bit.

Workflow - extremely disruptive. Changing the entire screen to open something up messes up your train of though, especially when working in number intensive programs or you are in the certain place in a long document. Much like how I forget what I was going to do when I enter a room. What did I come here to get again? Happens a lot for me, especially when I'm working on something monotonous.

Cleaning up after install. I really don't like having icons pollute the startup screen after an install. It is unnecessary and annoying and indicates a lack of polish.

2 different browsers. How is this a good idea? 2 different browsers, each with their own history, extensions, bookmarks, etc. Why deal with this added complexity? I ended up forcing Chrome to disable the Metro browser because I did not want every link I clicked in anything remotely connected to metro popping up that browser. That worked well for a while until I went into Metro mode for whatever reason and got permanently stuck in Metro mode. I'm not blameless in that one because maybe my regedit had something to do with it.

No clock. Seems small but it was annoying not having a clock viewable at all times. Full screen mode=no taskbar=no clock. I tried to compromise with an app called the Time but that thing leaked memory like crazy, upwards of 1GB in ram by a clock used up.

The mousing around. OMG, the mousing around. All this dragging and sliding and flinging. I'm not here to play around. If my workflow requires mostly mouse inputs, then I won't have my hands on the keyboard. Shortcuts are inefficient so I have to click and drag, click and drag. Hit a hot corner and carefully go down so it doesn't lose focus. Everything requires further mouse travel. Right click is inconsistent, always a surprise. Back button on mouse is inconsistent. Sometimes it goes back, sometimes it doesn't.

Metro App startup times. I thought these things were lightweight but some of them take 4-5 seconds to startup. I thought they were going for Android startup speeds, near instantaneous.

I could go on. It makes me angry that a lot of people are dismissive of other users concerns. Oh, they are just parroting what some tech blog said. I assure you I am not. I am frustrated because I have wasted hours and hours of my life trying to get the OS to do what I want it to do.

The speed slowdown plus my browser being stuck was the last straw and I uninstalled W8. I like W7. W8 is like a service pack with some great improvements but a lot of added, unremovable baggage. I loved the pastel coloring and the flatness of W8, I found it a lot more attractive and clean than W7. I loved the explorer ribbon interface which made everything more efficient to get to. I loved the file management system and how I could pause and start each transfer individually.

In short, I would have had no problem upgrading for $100+ to Windows 8 minus metro rather than this $40 waste of hours of my life. Maybe these issues will be resolved in the future, maybe they won't. Bottom line is I found the experience unpleasant. That is not something that is arguable or up for discussion. "My" experience. I reckon there are some more out there like me. I'm surprised at how vocal I am about this but I really don't want Windows to continuing going in the direction it appears to be going. I will not buy a Mac and unless Ubuntu gets future office versions, I am stuck.

This blog may help you contend with Window8 shortcomings.

6 tips to make Windows 8 less annoying | Computerworld Blogs

Yeah, I was about to say, we have plenty people here to help out with optimizing the UI for you! :D None of which involves classic shell or anything like that, just some simple pinning and organizing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Coke Robot, Well, I thought about that, but the Nokia Lumia 920 interfaces really well with Win7, too! I love Win8 Phone because it's perfect for a touchscreen, at least the way it's implemented on the phone. But as an OS for a mouse/keyboard... I'm still not sure. I loved the file transfer interface and if someone made one like it for Windows 7, I'd probably stay on 7 as long as I possibly could...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
Microsoft can resolve this debate,and could have prevented it. As I have said, as well as many others have,let the user choose
what he wants during the installation process. there have been many valid points on both side of this debate, I hope
Microsoft is paying attention and corrects the problems in future updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    MS Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X6 1070T
    Motherboard
    ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A87TD/USB3 (AM3)
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 688MHz (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    DELL ST2421L (1920x1080@60Hz) 1023MB GeForce GT 430 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Coke Robot, Well, I thought about that, but the Nokia Lumia 920 interfaces really well with Win7, too! I love Win8 Phone because it's perfect for a touchscreen, at least the way it's implemented on the phone. But as an OS for a mouse/keyboard... I'm still not sure. I loved the file transfer interface and if someone made one like it for Windows 7, I'd probably stay on 7 as long as I possibly could...

It does, but it looks beautiful to see a Windows Phone's Start Screen alongside a Windows 8 Start Screen, like they were meant to be.

Theoretically, a mouse with touch gestures or a touchpad can make Windows 8 nicer to use. Been using it for a while with the Touch Mouse from Microsoft, it's splendid. Point and click, swipe, click, repeat. I find the UI is just fine for mouse usage. We have some nice people here on Eight Forums that can help you make the most of your Start Screen! :D :p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I think there's a simple solution for all those whom dislike 8 for what it is and designed for -> Stick with anything prior that floats your boat. I see no need to waste your time and money on something you dislike. I think MS is on a course that's not changing. They have a plan and will stick to that plan.

It is what it is. Complain all you want, but I think they won't hear you on these forums. I suggest to write them a letter or email. Write them often. Join one of their communities to complain. Perhaps some of you have or do that very thing.

One other thing -> If you bought a copy and installed it to use for even just a day, you voted a big yes for 8. That's the score they keep -> Copies sold.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
I think there's a simple solution for all those whom dislike 8 for what it is and designed for -> Stick with anything prior that floats your boat. I see no need to waste your time and money on something you dislike. I think MS is on a course that's not changing. They have a plan and will stick to that plan.

It is what it is. Complain all you want, but I think they won't hear you on these forums. I suggest to write them a letter or email. Write them often. Join one of their communities to complain. Perhaps some of you have or do that very thing.

One other thing -> If you bought a copy and installed it to use for even just a day, you voted a big yes for 8. That's the score they keep -> Copies sold.

I whole heartedly agree with everything you've said.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

M$ may not see thees forums but there customers do. I have also told most of my friends that were planing to down grade to windows 8 to stick with Windows 7 and that is the only thing that M$ understands is $$$$. So my one big vote has cost M$ more than 30 big votes.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
They have a plan and will stick to that plan.

The best laid plans of mice and men.

Or do they have a cunning plan?

Looks as though they have you, Ray. You voted yes as well. :geek:

Windows CE 5
Windows XP x32
Windows Vista x32
Windows 7 x32/x64
Windows 8 x64
Linux Mint

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

Windows CE 5
Windows XP x32
Windows Vista x32
Windows 7 x32/x64
Windows 8 x64
Linux Mint

I've always admitted that I bought x2 copies, future proofing when I could get it for $15. Nor do I dislike Windows 8, but I'm waiting for it to improve and become the OS it should have been from the outset. That gives me the right to praise and criticise to my heart's content. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
M$ may not see thees forums but there customers do. I have also told most of my friends that were planing to down grade to windows 8 to stick with Windows 7 and that is the only thing that M$ understands is $$$$. So my one big vote has cost M$ more than 30 big votes.

Yes, that's what companies understand -> $$$

That's why they're in business -> To make $$$

I'll see your 30 and raise you....let's see.....

My 10 other siblings with spouses = 20
My children + nieces and nephews = 38
Their spouses/significant others = 29
My grandchildren and grand nieces and nephews = 41
My cousins and their children = roughly 50
Friends I have in the veterans club I belong to = roughly 40
I have at least 20 other friends = 20
Total = 238

I'll raise you 208 :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

Windows CE 5
Windows XP x32
Windows Vista x32
Windows 7 x32/x64
Windows 8 x64
Linux Mint

I've always admitted that I bought x2 copies, future proofing when I could get it for $15. Nor do I dislike Windows 8, but I'm waiting for it to improve and become the OS it should have been from the outset. That gives me the right to praise and criticise to my heart's content. :D

You mean the OS you think it should have been from the outset. It's perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be.

Perhaps a 9 will suit your desires. Time will tell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

Windows CE 5
Windows XP x32
Windows Vista x32
Windows 7 x32/x64
Windows 8 x64
Linux Mint

I wonder about you sometimes Ray, was Android the OS, it should have been from the outset, was Linux, was OS X and IOS. I wish it could fly me to the moon and maybe one day it will, but at the moment it will just evolve like everything else.

I think anyone talking their friends out of Windows 8 is doing them a huge disservice, just for the price alone. It's so much faster its just not funny, especially if you just leave everything running. Just thinking of going back to Windows 7 gives me a headache, even after the problem I had with Microsoft yesterday.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
[
You mean the OS you think it should have been from the outset.

I'm in good company when it comes to what I think the OS should have been, or have delivered, to be more precise.

It's perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be.

So many things are created and seen as being fine by the creators, yet the market sees things differently. That sends the creators back to the drawing board to deliver what the market actually wants, not what the creator thinks the market wants.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
I wonder about you sometimes Ray, was Android the OS, it should have been from the outset, was Linux, was OS X and IOS. I wish it could fly me to the moon and maybe one day it will, but at the moment it will just evolve like everything else.

I think anyone talking their friends out of Windows 8 is doing them a huge disservice, just for the price alone. It's so much faster its just not funny, especially if you just leave everything running. Just thinking of going back to Windows 7 gives me a headache, even after the problem I had with Microsoft yesterday.

I can't comment on Android or OSX/iOS, as I've never used any of them and not really even seen them used. As for Linux, I've tried versions of Ubuntu since around 9 or 10 and not liked them one bit. The latest Unity interface is as bad as the Windows 8 start menu for power users. I have Linux Mint on my Fujitsu P1610 for learning purposes, it's a lot better than Ubuntu.

Windows has been evolving for decades, with its hits and misses, and Windows 7 has been universally lauded across the board as the best OS Microsoft has ever produced. Windows 8 built on that, but then decided to snub their noses at legions of their loyal userbase, by forcing on them an interface that didn't suit so many. There's no point in saying you find it great, there is enough evidence that many don't.

There was no need for users to start looking for ways to access what they knew and liked, but Microsoft thought they knew better than anyone else what people actually wanted. Remember Coke and their New Coke or whatever it was they introduced some years back, dropping the traditional Coke? What a backlash that received and the embarrassment to Coke and its marketing team. We had a similar incident here with a particular beer, the most popular beer in Australia, and the change was not well received. The company came back recently saying they have listened and have returned to the old formula. How embarrassing.

Also, Windows 8 has had an introductory price to maximise sales figures; that will change fairly shortly apparently and most likely revert to traditional pricing levels, or something that will effectively be the same. And Windows 8 is not faster on my PC, not by a long shot. So again, what works for you, doesn't work for everyone. If you don't like criticism levelled at Windows 8, ignore the posts or, as we say in Australia, 'Eat some concrete and harden up.'

My Computer

System One

• OS
And since you have me on my soapbox, why did Microsoft insist that Windows 8 apps could only work with a minimum resolution of 1024 x 768, not 1024 x 600, which was the most common tablet resolution to date? We already know that the RT was deliberately hobbled and did in fact have the potential to run Windows programs.

So was the resolution requirement based on the same marketing decision, to force people to buy new tablets, or what? The start menu displayed perfectly on my tablet at the native 1024 x 600 resolution, but would not work until I increased the resolution to 1024 x 768, which made the desktop look awful.

So what was potentially an interesting new OS for my tablet, turned out to be a waste of time. I don't for one moment believe that the resolution issue was a technical one, but a marketing one. Ask me to prove that and I'll tell you to go jump.

My Computer

System One

• OS
We already know that the RT was deliberately hobbled and did in fact have the potential to run Windows programs.

It's not potential. It *DOES* run Windows programs. It's not "hobbled" in any way from running Windows programs. I think you meant to say Win32 programs, but that's not correct either as it *DOES* run Win32 programs. Office is such a program, as are things like File Explorer, Notepad, etc... What it does not do, and never will do, is run x86/x64 Win32 apps (the processor just isn't powerful enough, and RT devices don't usually have enough memory for virtualization).

There's nothing "potential" about RT's ability to run Win32 programs, they just have to be compiled for ARM. And that's where the rub is, since there isn't currently a publicly available ARM compiler for Win32. It's quite possible we will see gcc or mingw ported to support ARM PE/Win32 apps, in which case programs will be able to be recompiled and run. Whether or not Microsoft ever makes their compiler available is also up in the air.

In other words, the lack of available ARM apps does not mean the OS can't run ARM apps if they were available, and thus the OS is not "hobbled"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
easymixL.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
You mean the OS you think it should have been from the outset.

I'm in good company when it comes to what I think the OS should have been, or have delivered, to be more precise.

Yes. Ducks fly with ducks and they quack a lot. :p

It's perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be.

So many things are created and seen as being fine by the creators, yet the market sees things differently. That sends the creators back to the drawing board to deliver what the market actually wants, not what the creator thinks the market wants.

Yes again! You're on a roll, Ray! That's why MS went back to the drawing boards after 7 to create 8 because the market is demanding it. If you ever bought a touch device, you participated and added to the "touch device" market. Again, 8 is perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be. And yet again, perhaps a 9 will suit your desires.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Yes. Ducks fly with ducks and they quack a lot.

Yes again! You're on a roll, Ray! That's why MS went back to the drawing boards after 7 to create 8 because the market is demanding it. If you ever bought a touch device, you participated and added to the "touch device" market. Again, 8 is perfectly fine the way MS created it and intended it to be. And yet again, perhaps a 9 will suit your desires.

I thought that you at least wouldn't resort to insults. Nerves are clearly being touched.

But which market? I bought a tablet that was touch enabled, but touch wasn't a priority and is a vey low use function for me. I bought the tablet for functionality that the tablet form-factor provided and the fact that it was a full blown PC able to mirror my desktop. That's also why it has a wireless mouse and USB keyboard case. I've used laptops/notebooks for years, but I much prefer the form-factor of the tablet and the current setup is excellent.

While some may think Windows 8 is perfectly fine, it simply isn't for many users. If you know what Windows 9 will bring, and when, please enlighten the great unwashed.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back