Windows 8 thoughts & opinions: incomplete?

I'll go over this once more so you get the jist, you seem to be having some trouble with this one.

I'm having trouble with this one because you were complaining that your shortcut pinned to the start menu did not have notifications. That's why i'm arguing with you. It's not reasonable to expect that.

By the way, I discovered the real problem here. Chrome has support for this as well, it's just called something different. Go to a web page in chrome, then go to the Options (or whatever it's called) menu and under Tools->Create Application Shortcuts. This pops up a dialog with three checkmarks that let you put a shortcut on the desktop, in the toolbar, or the start menu. The start menu one will appear in the Start screen with a google icon, just as you want.

Now, since I've made my point that this is dependent upon chrome, can you just admit you were wrong and move on?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Everyone continues to have a choice. Send the merchandise back for a refund and stick to an OS you enjoy. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Here's an example of the incomplete feeling of this OS.
I'm on desktop view, looking at music, and I think "let me check this online" so I go to start, which instead opens the start screen, where my browser is launched as an app, not as the browser fully.

Stop right there. Google is configurable, they choose to integrate themselves as a Metro app, but you can change it. This is one of those ballyhood "options" you keep screaming you don't have.

It would be nice if Google provided a nice feature, like IE has to open any given link in the desktop version. But they don't. This is google's choice. But it's easy to make google open in desktop mode. Just pin it to the taskbar, then go to the desktop and start it. You don't have to jump through any hoops. There is also a registry setting you can change to make chrome always start in desktop mode. Again, it was googles choice to not provide a simple setting for this, not Microsoft's.

but for that I'd have to find it and put it on my desktop, as the start button doesn't help me to get back into my computer files anymore, I go to any app and click "view in folder" and find the browser in it's program files, copy the shortcut to the desktop... just so I can use the damn thing how it's supposed to work!!You guys are just somehow so blinded by this that you think it's awesome, I think it's a piece of garbage I paid for. Why am I doing so much more work just to do mundane tasks? I can't even imagine trying to use this OS for work! The old start menu worked just fine, this one is cumbersome and gets in the way, as I've just explained.

I have no idea what you mean by "as the start button doesn't help me to get back into my computer files anymore". But all you had to do was right click on chrome and choose "Pin to taskbar"

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I just realized something. The start menu is basically a bigger Windows Phone 8 UI, that's the problem.

Yeah the start screen is basically the home screen on android phone while the all apps is the app drawer on an android phone so aggravated that y desktop has to be a smart phone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I'm having trouble with this one because you were complaining that your shortcut pinned to the start menu did not have notifications. That's why i'm arguing with you. It's not reasonable to expect that.
And I never once expected that. I complained that, rather than be able to make a tile with interactive notifications and live feed information, I instead could only make an inanimate shortcut. Your solution does the exact same thing, simply makes a shortcut. With Windows 8 I was expecting more than this. As I said, I've been making crappy shortcuts since I was young, this is not what I expected from a tile orientated OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 ultimate
    CPU
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.70GHz
    Motherboard
    Phoenix tech 6.00PG 8/7/2008
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 210
And I never once expected that. I complained that, rather than be able to make a tile with interactive notifications and live feed information, I instead could only make an inanimate shortcut. Your solution does the exact same thing, simply makes a shortcut. With Windows 8 I was expecting more than this. As I said, I've been making crappy shortcuts since I was young, this is not what I expected from a tile orientated OS.

So you were complaining that the shortcut icon was the generic html link icon, and were upset that it couldn't be the icon for the site. I showed you how to do that in both IE and Chrome, but now it's not good enough.

So you complain about something, I show you how it's not true, then you complain that it doesn't do something else, which I thin show you how it does in fact do that, and then you complain even more. Despite the fact that I showed you how what you wanted to do could be done, it's just not good enough.

Whatever, dude.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
Everyone continues to have a choice. Send the merchandise back for a refund and stick to an OS you enjoy. :)

Yeah. But this'll be a problem for folks who buy laptops. :eek:

So then don't buy a machine with 8 loaded or any OS for that matter. Load the OS you like. One continues to have choices.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

So you were complaining that the shortcut icon was the generic html link icon, and were upset that it couldn't be the icon for the site. I showed you how to do that in both IE and Chrome, but now it's not good enough.

So you complain about something, I show you how it's not true, then you complain that it doesn't do something else, which I thin show you how it does in fact do that, and then you complain even more. Despite the fact that I showed you how what you wanted to do could be done, it's just not good enough.

Whatever, dude.

I fully explained before what my problem was with the tiles. You think you gave me solutions... you didn't. What you "solved" I'd already done. I know how to pin hotlinks to my desktop, that was never my problem... ever. I also know that through Chrome there's an option to do the same, but it's called an ap, it is, however, not an ap, but just a hotlink.
I complained that Windows8 doesn't allow for the creation of tiles with interactivity. With the ability to change the color, logo, appearance, size, shape.... everything. You solved nothing for me, just stated over and over what I already knew.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 ultimate
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 210
I complained that Windows8 doesn't allow for the creation of tiles with interactivity. With the ability to change the color, logo, appearance, size, shape.... everything. You solved nothing for me, just stated over and over what I already knew.

Argh! Geez man, you are the king of circles.

You just got done telling me how you did NOT want links to be interactive, that I was all mistaken, that all you wanted was a non-generic tile. Now you're saying the exact opposite. Again. There's a well known politician you remind me of.

You're like the old comment.. "I'm not saying.. I'm just saying..."

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX

Argh! Geez man, you are the king of circles.

You just got done telling me how you did NOT want links to be interactive, that I was all mistaken, that all you wanted was a non-generic tile. Now you're saying the exact opposite. Again. There's a well known politician you remind me of.

You're like the old comment.. "I'm not saying.. I'm just saying..."

I'm done. You're obviously not understanding me. I don't want links, I don't want "aps" either, I want something inbetween that is an interactive, customizable tile. Christ...

On another note, whats with not being able to create a folder when saving a file?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 ultimate
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    4.00 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 210
On another note, whats with not being able to create a folder when saving a file?

What do you mean? I have no problems doing so. You can right click in the save as dialog and choose New->Folder or you can click the button labeled New Folder in the upper left.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I love how instead of helping someone figure out a totally new OS, a debate unravels....

OK, Jayoneseven, I can tell you're having difficulties figuring out the Start Screen. One phrase: Think outside the box. Windows 8 isn't your parents' Windows, it's not like any other Windows version before. You have a Windows Phone. WINDOWS. PHONE. You have Windows 8 on your PC. WINDOWS ON YOUR PC. Microsoft didn't set out to mimic a phone OS 100 percent onto the PC. It's not like the iphone to ipad. Those two run the same OS, just that one is a phone and one is a giant ipod that some fools consider to be a PC. The difference between Windows and Windows Phone is just like ios and mac os. They are two different things that work differently, but look similar.

Screenshot (78).png

Now, you mention about tiles and being able to pin things like Desktop items. To do this, right click on a hard drive, folder, Library or a Control Panel item and hit Pin to Start. When you get into the advanced parts of it, you can sometimes copy a shortcut link of an app and copy it over to the Start Screen through File Explorer, like a back door method of sorts.

Having a Windows Phone, you should know if you need a certain pinned item that isn't an app from the Marketplace, like a bank site or whatever, you do that with IE and hit Pin to Start from Windows Phone. The same thing happens with Windows 8 and IE. On the Desktop, you can add the site to Start. In the immersive IE, you right click and hit Pin to Start. Theoretically, some websites might have a little notification on the pinned IE tile for new updates, like on Windows Phone's facebook app, a notification will have a little red circle with a number. The same can happen with an IE tile.

Speaking of IE, there are two versions in Windows 8. Desktop or Immersive or metro IE. The Desktop version works like any other browser, but the immersive one works differently. This one is meant to be full screen, and works efficiently with battery life and hardware. You can choose to have the default action of the IE tile to go the Desktop version ALL the time. You can still pin sites to the Start Screen from the Desktop just as well. To do this, you need to hit the Settings cog on the Desktop version, and hit Add site to Start. Then, go the Internet Options, hit the Programs tab, and check Open Internet Explorer tiles on the desktop and do the same above it on the drop down menu of options. I personally use the immersive version as it looks cleaner, and it's full screen so more content is shown. I also don't have any sites I go to that has Flash players issues, if I do, I just go to the Desktop version for the time being. It wouldn't make sense to have a video play if you're not watching it, that's why the immersive version does that. You can snap it to the side of the Desktop if you want to and it'll continue to play.

Personalization options in 8 are pretty decent. You couldn't customize the start menu like the Start Screen before. You can choose different colors or patterns, and I think with a third party app, you can add custom images to the Start Screen for the pattern. But to change personalization options, this is done hugely and efficiently with the Charms bar, or the system commands bar. Hit the Start key+C or move your mouse pointer to the left hand corners and move to the middle. Hit the Settings charm, and hit Change PC Settings. This is lite version of the Control Panel that has the most commonly needed and changed settings of Windows. Changing things here is pretty self-explanatory. On the Desktop, doing the same, you have an entry from the Settings charm of Personalization. This can let you change the Desktop settings like with 7. This reasoning here is interesting and more touch based. PC Settings is there because you don't have to peruse the Control Panel so much as there are a lot of things to go through to change something simple. It's more easier. And, something was needed to change settings for the Start Screen and the app behaviors in a similar styled environment for touch users. It kind of segregates the two UIs in Windows, but in the long run, it'll make sense.

And I don't know what you're talking about with ads. There aren't any in Windows 8. There are in the Bing apps and some free apps, but it's just like if you went to google and browsed google news or finance or checked the weather, you'll see google's ad algorithms personalizing add for you based on what you browse. The apps are just extensions of Bing's site in a Windows 8 metro style. There are never any ads on live tiles or anything.

A word of advice, don't do upgrade installs. Do a custom install. It'll make a Windows.old folder in the C drive so you can cut and paste things back into the new locations. Upgrade installs aren't foolproof and some gunk from the old will carry over to the new. Don't be thinking of Windows 8 like Windows Phone, they don't work the same or act the same as they're two different devices on two different form factors. You will need to learn to use the Charms bar and do some right clicking within the apps themselves. The Charms bar is how you do searches, sharing, moving content to devices or importing from devices, and changing app settings from it. That's the new UI. With time, you might learn what's fastest on how to access things from the Charms bar. I've been using Windows 8 for over a year, my experience has been WHOA and progressed positively from it. Everything is fast and fluid and I wouldn't go back to using 7 even if that was the only option to use.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Just adding mine: I cannot find anything about Windows 8 that is on the elevated level of Windows 7. Security is terrible, apps always go to full screen which is ironic and looking at a bunch of shortcuts which take up more room than the use to is a disaster; at least the named them right "Metro" - it is like being in the middle of NYC trying to find something. If networked the system will not sleep unless forced. Cutting all of this short, I don't have anything good to say about Windows 8 after two weeks of education, it looks like a bunch of kids playing in a sandbox with a whole lot of toys.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
It seems you have made up your mind, so there is little value in trying to correct you, but other people might see this and think you are correct. You're not.

a) Security is not terrible. See, my comment is just as valid as yours.

b) apps do not always go full screen. Even if you're just referring to Metro apps (which, you don't say, so one can only assume you're talking about all apps) then Metro apps aren't always full screen either, as they can be snapped into several positions which include sharing the desktop screen.

c) It will in fact sleep if networked. However, some people have encountered some problems. One option is to simply turn off wake from lan in the adapter settings. Of course, I understand you want excuses to belittle the OS, so you will use any you can get.

d) You're right, you don't have anything good to say. And, since even most hardcore haters have at least something good to say about it, that means you are simply refusing to be objective. It's ironic you mention kids playing, since your comments are clearly childish and impetuous.

As I see quite often, you don't like Metro, so you seem to feel the need to find other reasons to justify your comments. As usual, those reasons do not stand up to reasonable examination. Based on previous comments, you are angry because you can't make Windows 8 exactly like Windows 7. It's not Windows 7, and you will be a lot happier if you stop trying to make it as such and simply use Windows 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I contacted MS about the sleep problem and their answer was to force the sleep when networking, the system itself will not do it without a work around. The internet if full of complaints about the apps going to full screen and the sleep problem. Windows 8 was designed around the android and has no place on a computer that is used for work. Yep, I sure would like to get my 40 bucks back.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
Microsoft seldom gives you correct answers. My laptop goes to sleep just fine with Windows 8. It's not a specific design issue of the OS, it's most likely an issue with your network driver or an app you have installed that is preventing it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
The PC goes to sleep if it is not networked to another PC. It will go to sleep if the PC it is networked to goes off line. But it will not sleep if both PCs are on the network and active.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Dell Inspiron 1750
    CPU
    Duo Core 2.5 G HZ
Back