Windows 8 Tablets: The most successful tablets ever.

Are you going to buy a Windows 8 tablet or smart phone? It will be interesting to see who bites first on the coming wave, you or your employer.

Soon, you and users around the world will be able to purchase your very own Windows 8 Tablet computers. Though I haven't been lucky enough to review one yet, I feel as if they'll take the market by storm for one single reason alone: Windows 8. Tablets have been around for years. Windows has been around for years. Windows tablets have been around for years. So, what's so special about Windows tablets now? The answer is simply, Windows 8.

Read more at source:
Windows 8 Tablets: The most successful tablets ever. | ZDNet

exactly why would anyone by a tablet, i've often wondered if most of the people who have an ipad just have it as a status symbol or are they all just sheep?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 Pro
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self Build
    CPU
    AMD AM3+ Bulldozer FX-8 8150
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    16 gig
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon 7850 2 gig
    Sound Card
    Asus Xonar Essence STX
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3 x Iiyama Prolite E2773HS (IPS)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 x 3
    Hard Drives
    1 x Kingston 240gig HyperX 3K SSD
    1 x 1TB Hitachi Sata III drive
    12 x TB storage on server
    PSU
    Corsair TXM 850watt Modular
    Case
    Thermaltake Shark
    Cooling
    Corsair Hydro H60
    Keyboard
    Logitech S510
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 touchpad
    Internet Speed
    120mb (Virgin Media
People buy tablets because
1). they are almost always on (no waiting to boot)
2). they are light and ultra portable...so they can take it with them where ever they go
3). for content absorption the touch screen interface is nice.
4). very little system maintenance, less concerns with viruses and malware, etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
I had to reread this thread before answering. At first I thought the OP was referring to ANY Windows 8 tablet. A second read reveals the question is about Windows RT, which runs on ARM devices only.

The main allure of Windows RT, IMHO, is the ARM processor and the long battery life. I am typing this on my iPad during my lunch break. Yes and own and use an iPad a LOT! But I am a refugee. That is I am a died in the wool Windows man, stuck using an Apple device, because of its reliability, long battery, etc. But I DON'T like Apple!

I don't just use the iPad for consumption. I use it to remote into servers and desktops at work, wo/ the pain of booting up a full blown PC first. I use it in meetings to take notes. My handwriting is pathetic, lol, so I have to type to take notes. But at the end of the day, while I like my iPad, it is STILL an Apple device.

My other tablet, these days, is a Samsung Series 7 Slate. While it is a true touch device, it feels like a fast laptop, that happens to be a tablet. The battery life isn't even half the iPad.

I have my eyes set on one the new Windows 8 tablets with the new Intel Clover Trail chips. The battery life is up there with the iPad, but it still is an Intel and runs most of my desktop software. I've read a review about an acer Iconia W510, which touts an optional dock keyboard reminiscent of the Asus Transformer line of Android tablet. I am taking a wait and see approach before buying a Clover Trail device.

While I am a definite Windows 8 fan, I am not so much a fan of the Surface. I have well defined needs that Windows RT doesn't address.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    Sony Vaio Duo 11
    CPU
    i7
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 4000
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    11.6" touch screen w/ digitizer & Asus 27" external monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    256 GB SSD
    Cooling
    Internal fan
    Keyboard
    Slider keyboard
    Mouse
    Logitech T650 Touchpad & Microsoft Touch Mouse
I've been reading around for while about the Surface on several tech sites, Acer's concerns of being undercut by it MIGHT be true. On Windows Phone Central, a good majority of their people have the Surface as their first and pretty much only choice for a Windows tablet PC. On Neowin, more people are waiting for the Surface than Windows 8. It seems overall, Windows tech heads are going for the Surface over the OEMs. Even with the 500 dollar base price, people are fairly OK with it. I was asking a few friends if given the choice of a 16 gig ipad ($500) over a 32 gig base Surface RT ($500), the Surface unanimously won with no one for the ipad. The price seems high compared to an ipad, but you get more PHYSICAL and software features for less. Even with the touch cover, it's still less than an ipad with a third party keyboard.

But I find it strange that some OEMs are pricing their tablets rather high. I think there is more exploitation of the consumer as if the argument of a PC combined with a tablet is less than two separate devices, they get more profit off of it. Which is more true as some OEMs are trying to recover monetary losses. I've seen a tablet priced at 650 and it had I believe an i3 processor. An ASUS Vivo RT tablet is 800. More strange, Dell's portable desktop/tablet/AIO hybrid with a 20 inch touch screen and better hardware costs a few hundred dollars less than their 11 inch tablet.

WHAT'S GOING ON?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Back