Windows 8 Strange Issue with desktop flashing on and off

Not sure if you got this fixed but we spent all weekend trying to fix the same problem. Tried everything
we could think of. Virus scans, uninstalling recent updates, reloading drivers, etc. No luck. Then, strangely, we uninstalled Norton 360
and the problem is gone. We put a new antivirus on it. Not sure if that would help you
or not, but just had to pass it in. :) Good luck

I just uninstalled Norton and it worked for me too! Thank you so much!!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Thanks for all the suggestions. I haven't been back on my laptop since my father passed away. It happened a day after my last post.

But my screen no longer flashes. Maybe the last update fixed this...?

But now I find a strange bouncy cursor, it refuses to be controlled and it closes or dragged everything it touches.

Not sure what that's about. But it still beats the annoying flashing screen.

So as long as the screen does not flash, it's already closer to heaven.

Thanks for whomever fixed this problem, bless you.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    window 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
I have just started experiencing this same issue on my Dell Inspiron Laptop and agree that it is as frustrating as it sounds. I was about to try the Norton uninstall solution but cannot even get to that option. I am able to access my Windows 8 Start screen after rebooting but as soon as I click on any Apps that run through the desktop I am back to the desktop/blue screen flickering stalemate. Does anyone have an idea of how I might bypass the desktop to uninstall Norton and give that solution a try?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Ispiron
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
I have just started experiencing this same issue on my Dell Inspiron Laptop and agree that it is as frustrating as it sounds. I was about to try the Norton uninstall solution but cannot even get to that option. I am able to access my Windows 8 Start screen after rebooting but as soon as I click on any Apps that run through the desktop I am back to the desktop/blue screen flickering stalemate. Does anyone have an idea of how I might bypass the desktop to uninstall Norton and give that solution a try?

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer V3 771G-6443
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer VA70_HC (U3E1)
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    HD4000 + GeForce GT 730M
    Sound Card
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" Generic PnP Display on Intel HD Graphics 4000
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 pixels
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    ADATA SSD SP900 128GB
    PSU
    90 watt brick
    Mouse
    Bluetooth
    Antivirus
    Comodo
    Other Info
    Asus RT-AC56R dual-band WRT router (Merlin firmware). Intel 7260.HMWWB.R dual-band ac wireless adapter.
If you can access Task Manager, Download this Uninstall tool first & choose File, New task, with administrator privaleges.
& choose the uninstall tool by browsing for it.
I suggest downloading it to desktop so it is easy to locate.

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

screenshot_123.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
Thanks David and Popeye! I was able to reboot in Safe Mode and am now looking for issues.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Ispiron
    Antivirus
    Norton 360
I had read on another forum that someone fixed it by going into the nvidia control panel and setting it to show all of the refresh rates. He changed his from 60Hz to 50Hz and it fixed the problem. With me, my main account has no problems but it I set up an account for my wife it just flickers until I have to ctr-alt-del and Sign Out. I tried the changing to 59Hz thing and voila! The flickering went away. Just wanted to throw that in as something to try.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    hacked together
    CPU
    AMD Phenom X6 1100T
    Motherboard
    MSI 880G
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Geforce GTX 570
    Browser
    ie
    Antivirus
    bit defender free edition
I have a HP all in one, 20" touch screen. First thought it was dirty or something was on it. Second thought was the moth hitting the screen. Just happened to me too. It cannot be everyone's graphic card going out and safe mode shows that (good call). I don't know where to start. I began by stopping services. Got to Thread ordering and it stopped until I had to reboot then nothing worked and had to go back and refresh all my services. Nothing I can see seems to make a difference. I turned off all the Firefox addons and plugins too - nada. I see "solved" on the page but dont' see a solution. I can play movies straight through, no problem there but can't go full screen. Did post about this twice with a few Post Scrips's afterthoughts. Appreciate anyone? Thankx

My Computer

System One

• OS
    win 8.1 pro 64 bit did get W10 but did clean install win 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    iPad mini, PC (main) HP f394, ACER A500 - bricked, Samsung 4 SGH T959V - want to unlock it
    Motherboard
    amd just replaced so fan is on HIGH now starting to wobble ouch
    Hard Drives
    Didn't want to go into detail about all the old stuff I have. If someone wanted to know to assist the issues, I'll provide a system info page.
    Other Info
    wow, will get to all this later, k
I had this same frustrating issue & this was how I resolved it.

1. Since the flashing screen couldn't allow me restart my PC in safe mode, I pressed the power button to force a shut down.
2. I pressed the power button to start up and pressed the power button again after 2 secs to create an unusual shutdown.
3. On next attempt to start up (by pressing power button again), Windows tried to repair startup so I could now boot into safe mode with networking.
4. I already realised the flashing issue had to do with my Norton 360 installation so I had to find a way to properly uninstall it.
5. I Googled "Norton_Removal_Tool" from Norton and downloaded it.
6. Since safe mode wouldn't normally allow installations, I downloaded "SafeMSI" to enable me install/unistall in safe mode.
7. After running "Safe MSI", I installed "Norton_Removal_Tool" to remove all Norton products/services.
8. The above action demanded a restart which I obliged to.
9. Non essential step: I ran Malwarebytes to confirm that all is alright & switched to a new antivirus.
10. My PC is back and happy again : )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WIndows 8
I thank everyone for their input and I believe it is Norton. I remember the days when Norton was the best thing you could use and nowadays, it seems like Norton is a virus itself. I am about to try to solve this issue and will post my results. Norton is running on this computer (not the one I am posting this thread.).

Frank

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window 7, XP, Windows 2000, Mac OSX.6
Back