Windows 8 price in Australia

Ray, as ever, they will charge what the market will bear.

Price is a marketing tool ( you know that- but some don't seem to understand it )

We call it the Australia Tax, which all international companies slug us for their products. It really hasn't anything to do with additional costs incurred because of location. If you think Microsoft is bad, just check out Adobe pricing. What's ironic is that when Australia exports products to the US, the US prices are often way lower than what we pay here.

I realise that, but there are things such as taking advantage that even our government is pitifully trying to address. Many people simply buy from the US through eBay etc, or worse, pirate software. That can't be good for anyone.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
IMO, hardware prices aren't as bad as software prices.
Something physical has to be transported and stored.

There is no competition in software (especially operating systems).
If you want Apple software, you have to pay Apple's prices (the same is true for MS).

If you are building a PC, you get:
  • A couple of choices in CPUs
  • 4 or 5 choices in motherboards and RAM
  • Multiple choices in peripherals

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
Considering that I paid $625 for my tablet, which came with Windows 7 Home Premium, it's sort of a farce that you have to pay $400 just for the OS, if bought separately.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Considering that I paid $625 for my tablet, which came with Windows 7 Home Premium, it's sort of a farce that you have to pay $400 just for the OS, if bought separately.

i suppose it could be because they've given anyone who needed to upgrade the time to do so for $40. If you didn't wish to at the time you pay the penalty.
Now if you wish to buy Windows 8 it's easier and less expensive to buy a new computer with Windows 8 on it, or build and buy the OEM version.
I've seen laptops with Windows 8 cheaper than Windows Pro, I think this is their plan.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP

I paid around $40 US.
A ten fold increase is too much.
I think the previous post is right about pushing computer sales.
They might be getting a kick-back from computer makers.
I made a picture of money differences--

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 111

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Gateway
    CPU
    AMD K140 Cores 2 Threads 2 Name AMD K140 Package Socket FT1 BGA Technology 40nm
    Motherboard
    Manufacturer Gateway Model SX2110G (P0)
    Memory
    Type DDR3 Size 8192 MBytes DRAM Frequency 532.3 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics
    Sound Card
    AMD High Definition Audio Device Realtek High Definition Audio USB Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Name 1950W on AMD Radeon HD 7310 Graphics Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x76
    Screen Resolution
    Current Resolution 1366x768 pixels Work Resolution 1366x768 pixels
    Hard Drives
    AMD K140
    Cores 2
    Threads 2
    Name AMD K140
    Package Socket FT1 BGA
    Technology 40nm
    Specification AMD E1-1200 APU with Radeon HD Graphics
    Family F
    Extended Family 14
    Model 2
    Extended Model 2
    Stepping 0
    Revision ON-C0
    Instruction
    Browser
    Opera 24.0
    Antivirus
    Avast Internet Security
I paid around $40 US.

During the initial sales offer that began in Oct 2012, or whatever, the prices worldwide were exactly the same, whether it was a DVD or download, upgrade on an older or newer PC. So now that the price has increased (OK fair enough), it's about US$120 in the US, but it begs the question why it has to now be around US$420 in Australia. I can download it from the Microsoft website, but it still costs me US$420. No one is going to upgrade an older PC at that price.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I paid around $40 US.

During the initial sales offer that began in Oct 2012, or whatever, the prices worldwide were exactly the same, whether it was a DVD or download, upgrade on an older or newer PC. So now that the price has increased (OK fair enough), it's about US$120 in the US, but it begs the question why it has to now be around US$420 in Australia. I can download it from the Microsoft website, but it still costs me US$420. No one is going to upgrade an older PC at that price.

I think that's the idea Ray, the upgrading days are over.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro/Windows 8 Pro/Windows 7 64 Bit64Bit/Windows XP
Am I missing something here? I bought Windows 8 Pro OEM stand alone from PLE Computers in Perth, West Australia on a DVD disk in a packet with serial key for $149 (Aus) on October 29 2012. And it's still listed at that price off the shelf. :huh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ult Reatil & Win 8 Pro OEM
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    6 core 12 thread & 4 core
    Motherboard
    Inel Extreme & Intel standard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    3 top end SLI linked & onboard
    Sound Card
    In built in graphics card & onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24 & 23 inch Samsung LED backlit
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Am I missing something here? I bought Windows 8 Pro OEM stand alone from PLE Computers in Perth, West Australia on a DVD disk in a packet with serial key for $149 (Aus) on October 29 2012. And it's still listed at that price off the shelf. :huh:

Must be having a hard time moving stock of Windows 8 even at a huge discount.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes
Must be having a hard time moving stock of Windows 8 even at a huge discount.
Yeah, from what I've observed personally it's not exactly flying off the shelves.

To be perfectly honest I'm not really sure myself why I bought it. I mean with SATA3 SSD HD, 12GB RAM, top end CPU & mobo, and 3 SLI linked graphic cards, Windows 7 flies. And it has no issues, and is aesthetically much nicer. On top of that I never really felt I got my money's worth out of Vista Ultimate; and paid just over $400 (Au) for Win7 Ult Retail; and likewise have only been using it a relatively short period of time.

Add to that I have to use third party software to make W8 work the way I want it to work. And even then the onboard device that plugs into a USB header on the mobo to run BlueTooth and Ralink WiFi wireless adaptor doesn't work on W8. I've been on the verge of buying a whole new rig with mobo/CPU that I know works well with W8.

Maybe I need my head examined? :confused:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
    Corsair Force 128GB SATA3 SSDs in each machine. Plus several external USB3 and eSATA spinner HDs
Add to that I have to use third party software to make W8 work the way I want it to work. And even then the onboard device that plugs into a USB header on the mobo to run BlueTooth and Ralink WiFi wireless adaptor doesn't work on W8. I've been on the verge of buying a whole new rig with mobo/CPU that I know works well with W8.

Maybe I need my head examined? :confused:

If they work on Windows 7 you would be emptying your wallet for no real gain in performance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
If they work on Windows 7 you would be emptying your wallet for no real gain in performance.
The thing is Win7 Ult runs absolutely seamless. And everything works. I guess it's just because I've always bought the latest version ever since I started using Microsoft with Win98, then Win98 2nd Ed, XP Home Upgrade, XP Pro, Vista Ult, Win7 Ult & now Win8 Pro OEM.

Win8 runs really well on my backup machine, with no issues, on which I was previously running Vista Ult. And even Vista was running very respectably, with i5-2400 CPU, DH67CL mobo, 8GB RAM, onboard full HD graphics & SATA3 SSD HD.

Everyone I know who knows anything about computers say that 2 years is a long time in computer terms. But why fix it if it does everything you want and very, very quickly?

I guess the sales persons rub their hands when they see me coming. But it is true I'm ashamed to admit I'm like a kid in a toy shop at Xmas time when I'm in a PC shop. :eek:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
I guess the sales persons rub their hands when they see me coming. But it is true I'm ashamed to admit I'm like a kid in a toy shop at Xmas time when I'm in a PC shop. :eek:

We must have our toys no JOY in life without them. The biggest up grade I have done is SSD HD it makes PCs scream very hard to go back, boot time is a non issue here as the pc is on 24/7 but clicking on a file is less than a second to display. Have been using multiprocessor on OS/2 since win 95 to win XP dropped OS/2 when XP came out. I am playing with MINT on my laptop now it puts Windows 8 boot times to shame less than 2 seconds to log in screen for Mint from boot selection Windows 8 is about 5 seconds to log in screen from the same point. I have 2 programs that I use in Windows that will not run in Wine if they would I would be a Mint man and be done with activation the OS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
We must have our toys no JOY in life without them. The biggest up grade I have done is SSD HD it makes PCs scream very hard to go back, boot time is a non issue here as the pc is on 24/7 but clicking on a file is less than a second to display. Have been using multiprocessor on OS/2 since win 95 to win XP dropped OS/2 when XP came out. I am playing with MINT on my laptop now it puts Windows 8 boot times to shame less than 2 seconds to log in screen for Mint from boot selection Windows 8 is about 5 seconds to log in screen from the same point. I have 2 programs that I use in Windows that will not run in Wine if they would I would be a Mint man and be done with activation the OS.
Yes certainly agree re SSD. I got my first about a year ago and was sold from the get go. It cost just under $400 (Au). It was a Performance 3 Corsair 128GB SATA3. Since then I've bought 2 more Corsair Force 120GB SATA3 about 4 months ago @ $160 each. Now the latest Corsair 120GB is down to $149.

When I first started using Win98 I phoned Microsoft to find out how to use it, as I'd never owned a PC before. I was shocked when they said I had to use the help files or pay $50 for a half hour session with a techo. Everything electronic I'd ever bought before a PC offered free support to know how to use it. Then came activation with XP. Both those things disenchanted me with M$ and I've always wished there was at least a comparable alternative. However none of the others seemed to quite make it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
When I first started using Win98 I phoned Microsoft to find out how to use it, as I'd never owned a PC before. I was shocked when they said I had to use the help files or pay $50 for a half hour session with a techo. Everything electronic I'd ever bought before a PC offered free support to know how to use it. Then came activation with XP. Both those things disenchanted me with M$ and I've always wished there was at least a comparable alternative. However none of the others seemed to quite make it.

If developers and device makers would port there stuff to other platforms M$ would not have the monopoly it has now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
If developers and device makers would port there stuff to other platforms M$ would not have the monopoly it has now.
Absolutely agree 100% :thumb:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Built as DIY
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    12GB & 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    High def
    Hard Drives
It would be a big undertaking.

The barriers to entry are enormous.

Who could even attempt it?

Uncle Tim could.

He just might.

There would be difficulties and dangers, but what a great opportunity for him right now.

He must be considering it.

I don't know what he will decide in the end.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
It would be a big undertaking.

The barriers to entry are enormous.

Who could even attempt it?

Uncle Tim could.

He just might.

There would be difficulties and dangers, but what a great opportunity for him right now.

He must be considering it.

I don't know what he will decide in the end.

The barriers are not that great any more with the Unix phones and tablets to develop for Linux is not that big a deal. Where as just developing for Linux is risky due to the small market. I think that is what has M$ really worried.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
Yes, that is a possibility.

The oem's know android sells great.

No real reason why it can't be done with a more full scale version of Linux.

It will take a bit of work to get some kind of Ubuntu in shape for general use.

(Allegedly ubuntu already runs great on the nexus things. )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Some years ago, the idea that you needed to buy a new PC every two year was reasonably true, but today that's not really the case. The biggest boost to old computers has been the SSD, which has given them a new lease of life. Also, with the advent of Windows 7, software bloat was brought under control and that has carried on with Windows 8, so you're probably not going get significant gains going ton Windows 8. I certainly haven't experience anything earth shattering between Windows 7 and 8 running my current dual boot.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Back