Windows 8: Never uses all of my memory

My statements were more general in nature and not specifically for any specific situation. These posts will be read for years to come, mostly by people who are not members of this forum. With 8 GB or less RAM a lowered commit limit is a serious consideration. But with 16 GB RAM many of these things cease to be a real issue. It is unlikely you need a pagefile but it wouldn't be a bad idea to keep a small one for the sake of those applications who might complain if none is present.

In any event this discussion is far removed from the original topic and has little relevance to it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I keep a pagefile, even with 32GB of Ram, but then again I do use Photoshop CC products quite a lot, which have been reported to have issues without a Pagefile.

I've moved the pagefile to a scratch partition on a spinner rather than leave it on my system SSD, but that basically follows my normal Pagefile set-ups - They have always tended to be more efficient if they are on a separate drive from the system due to better use of the SATA Bus :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Real World Computing
    CPU
    AMD FX8350 8 Core @4GHz
    Motherboard
    Asus M5A78L-M USB3
    Memory
    32GB [4x8GB] DDR3 1600 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus nVidia GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 (2GB DDR5)
    Sound Card
    ASUS Xoner DG + SPDIF to 5.1 System + HDMI
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer G276HL 27", (DVi) + Samsung 39" HDTV (HDMI)
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080 @60Hz + 1920 x 1080 @60Hz
    Hard Drives
    Internal
    Crucial 256GB SSD,
    WDC WD30EZRX-00D8PB0 3TB,
    Toshiba HDWD130 3TB
    Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH1 2TB,

External (USB3)
    Seagate Backup+ Hub BK SCSI Disk 8TB
    2.5/3.5 Hot Swap Cradle, USB3 + eSata (client HDDs)

NAS
    Seagate ST4000DM000
    PSU
    Aerocool Templarius Imperator 750W 80+ Silver
    Case
    AeroCool X-Warrior Devil Red Tower
    Cooling
    Stock CPU, Rear 120mm, Front 2x120mm, Side 2x120mm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K710 & K270
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless M710 M185 & M570 Trackball
    Internet Speed
    37Mb/s Down - 9.5Mb/s Up
    Browser
    Chrome
    Antivirus
    BitDefender Total Security 2017
    Other Info
    Also run...

Desktop - 6Core 8GB - Windows 10 Enterprise x64,
    Laptop - Quad 8GB - Windows 10 Pro x64
    Netbook - Ubuntu
    2 x Nexus 7 Android tablets
    Samsung 10.2" tablet
    Sony Z3 Android Smartphone
    HTC One Android Smartphone
I keep a pagefile, even with 32GB of Ram, but then again I do use Photoshop CC products quite a lot, which have been reported to have issues without a Pagefile.

I've moved the pagefile to a scratch partition on a spinner rather than leave it on my system SSD, but that basically follows my normal Pagefile set-ups - They have always tended to be more efficient if they are on a separate drive from the system due to better use of the SATA Bus :)
Wouldn't that be a bit counterproductive as far as PF is concerned ? I mean, moving it to a drive much slower although in your case it may be used very little or not at all.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD

Wouldn't that be a bit counterproductive as far as PF is concerned ? I mean, moving it to a drive much slower although in your case it may be used very little or not at all.

Since it is never used, it does not really matter.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Putting the pagefile on a conventional drive would negatively impact performance, IF the situation were such that pagefile performance mattered. If RAM is adequate for the workload it usually doesn't. With all but the heaviest workloads 32 GB RAM is more than adequate.

Under normal conditions (no memory pressure) the memory manager will copy old data to the pagefile, a little bit at a time. Windows doesn't normally have to wait for disk write operations to complete but can do other things while this is happening. The impact on performance is typically very small, usually below anything that could be measured. But with a large amount of available memory the memory manager probably wouldn't even bother with the pagefile.

Even if data were written to the pagefile that doesn't mean it will impact performance when it is later needed. When data is written to the pagefile it also remains in memory where it can be quickly accessed if needed. Only in the event that the memory thus used is needed for other purposes would the data be removed from RAM. Windows tries very hard to avoid that situation. But with 32 GB RAM it probably wouldn't have to try very hard.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Memory usage is probably one of the most misunderstood things about Windows. It's, of course, not helped by the fact that there are so many different kinds of memory reports, and these reports are often deceptive if you don't understand how they are calculated or what they mean.

First, Windows does try to use as much of your memory as it can at any given time. Although at some points, it simply doesn't have anything to fill memory with so you will see it actually empty. Most of the time, particularly if Windows has been running for a while, you will see that memory is actually being used by caching behind the scenes (this is not always obvious, but its there if you look). This can be disk cache, network cache... memory is also used by the kernel which is not visible in the task list. You see this in the section marked "Paged Pool" and "Non-paged pool". This is typically memory used by drivers and other kernel objects.

There are also technologies such as SuperFetch, ReadyBoost, and others that allocate memory behind the scenes for caching but don't typically appear in TaskManager.

Windows will always leave some memory free for "on demand" allocation, so that when an app suddenly needs a big chunk of memory, it's available without it having to first drop pages from the cache or page active pages to disk. Windows will even go so far as to actively prune working sets of infrequently used code (typically startup code that is run once, and the like) and write it to the pagefile to maximize available free ram.

Another aspect of Windows memory management is that it uses what's known as "page backed executables". What this means is that every application you run is mapped into memory as if it were a mini-pagefile. This allows windows to simply discard pages from memory and reload them (via pagefault, ie when accessed), rather than having to load the code from disk and then write it to a separate pagefile. So even if you have no pagefile, Windows still treats applications as pagefiles.

All in all, Windows memory management is very complicated.. and the more you mess with it manually, the harder it is for Windows to react to conditions at runtime. In most situations, its best to let Windows manage your memory management. There are exceptions of course, but for most people you will get better performance by letting windows handle it. Trying to outsmart the OS often ends up tying its hands, and you end up with worse performance.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I got 16GB just for the heck of it back in 2011 when DDR3 was going dirt cheap.
OS barely uses 2GB for itself, rest all depends on the apps you use.
So most of my RAM is used for caching only.

Only time i have seen system using 8GB+ RAM is while installing 200 updates in one go on windows 7.
8.1 is smarter and doesn't eat up RAM even when installing huge chunk of updates.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Enterprise x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell XPS L702X
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2760QM
    Motherboard
    Intel HM67
    Memory
    Samsung 16GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Crucial M4 128GB
    Samsung 1TB
297196800_441.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
hey count,

just out of curiosity, why do you have an AMD processor? just wondering? (i was under the assumption through all the tests and everything that intel outperforms in so many levels the amd processor) but so i have to ask you..

on a note of this forum topic post - I have had my Pagefile completely off since i installed windows 8.1 from the beginning.. never had a problem.. I also have 16 gigs of ram.. so maybe thats why..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 (HOME not Pro) 64bit
    Computer type
    Laptop
    (So not very nice) Lenovo Y410P
    CPU
    i7 quad 2.4Gig
    Memory
    16G ram
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia 2gig 755m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Evo

supercache2 m2. mini card.
    Antivirus
    Win Defender
hey count,

just out of curiosity, why do you have an AMD processor? just wondering? (i was under the assumption through all the tests and everything that intel outperforms in so many levels the amd processor) but so i have to ask you..

on a note of this forum topic post - I have had my Pagefile completely off since i installed windows 8.1 from the beginning.. never had a problem.. I also have 16 gigs of ram.. so maybe thats why..
Yes, I have AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE (Black Edition), it's a bit older technology processor, it's OCed to 4.2GHz but "kills" all of the contemporary Intel processors (Socket 775) and newer technology I3 processors while giving lowest I5 Intels run for their money. When you look at highest segment (newest I5 and I7 vs. FX 8350 and up) AMD has only price advantage while delivering satisfactory but lower performance. Intel prices are still higher when you calculate need for higher priced MBs to get everything out of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
There is no problem with your RAM. If you want to fill up your RAM, run more programs. Your computer is utilizing all 12 GB of ram, as 6.3gb is in use, and the 5.5gb is free memory waiting for programs to run. Your computer is fine, do not worry about the ram.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Asus UX51VZ-US71T
    CPU
    Intel Core i7
    Motherboard
    Asus