Windows 8 Killed the PC, Says Analyst

Windows 8, often referred to as “the new Vista,” is still a hot topic among analysts across the world, even though people familiar with the matter claim that Microsoft is making the final plans for the new Windows 9 operating system.

But independent analyst Ben Thompson says in a new post on his website that Microsoft’s Windows 8 has actually hurt the PC industry, rather than to boost sales and support the adoption of new PCs.

The main reason is the overall complexity of the operating system which was causing quite a lot of problems for users who wanted to purchase new computers and found themselves stuck on a desktop without a Start button.

In essence, Windows 8 was well-designed, the analyst says, because it was created in such a way that it tackled two main issues of the PC industry.

“By making touch a central part of the interface, customers would find that their current non-touch PCs were not good enough, and thus be motivated to buy new hardware (and new Windows licenses),” the analyst explained.
Windows 8 Killed the PC, Says Analyst

The Atom Z3740 in this little guy is really amazing. I just got one last week and I am impressed - and not only by the CPU. 11hours of battery is excellent too and the screen and speakers are really very good for a tablet.

I have used it now for 3 days installing 8.1 and all the updates, Office, Windows Live, a whole set of programs, made all my usual settings and 3 images (you never know), tested all kinds of outboard devices on it, etc. - and I still have 60% of power left from the initial charge. It appears that the CPU uses only 2 Watts. That beats any modern Pentium or modern Celeron - even the RISC processors. And that CPU is very fast - not an i7 but feels like an i3.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Pretty obvious what "personal" means.

That is distinct from just having a terminal. The tech Corps would love it . It puts them in control. All that information gathering. targeting, drming ( if that is a word ) - constant income stream. Information about their citizens will also be available to foreign governments. I wonder what they will use it for.

Welcome to the future. Just a little bit of history repeating. ( Thanks Shirley )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Isn't google more guilty of privacy violations and information gathering?
It is difficult now to buy any software that does not have activation limits.
Subscriptions are a pia.
At least Windows can be installed endlessly on the same machine (no activation limits)
A media tool I bought is now warning that it has been activated too many times and will be deactivated :mad:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4