Windows 8 in the Enterprise: Why IT pros say no

We surveyed 50 tech pros via Google plus, as well as 15 tech pros from large enterprises at the geek site I run about whether they were gearing up for a Windows 8 switch.

Out of 50 tech pros I interviewed at enterprises around the world, 41 said they had no plans to bring in Windows 8 because of learning curve issues. Many are racing to upgrade XP systems to Windows 7 now and Windows 7 sales are as brisk, or brisker, than ever - the opposite of what typically happens before a major OS release comes out.

Source

A Guy

Hi there
Running I.T systems like that is really outdated now.

As I suggested set up a proper VPN then when users boot their PC's they will get the corporate login screen. Enter password and username (What's difficult about that) and then they will get (or should get) a normal work screen with links and applications just like they've always had.

Saves messing about with User training, maintaining 100's of PC's etc etc.

If W8 is ever going to enter a workplace it will ONLY be done by users logging in to a VPN presenting them with the standard Work screens and applications.

If you do this then actually the CLIENT OS is totally irrelevant. Then you don't have to waste valuable time and money on this sort of stuff.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I personally don't believe that this version of Windows 8 is intended for a work computer. I have a feeling that Microsoft will also include a professional version of Windows 8. As long as I have been beta testing Windows O/S's there has always been a professional version to accompany the release of a new version of Windows.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
I personally don't believe that this version of Windows 8 is intended for a work computer. I have a feeling that Microsoft will also include a professional version of Windows 8. As long as I have been beta testing Windows O/S's there has always been a professional version to accompany the release of a new version of Windows.

Hi there
I just don't see W8 ever going anywhere NEAR any serious office either - at least in its current form.

The Windows to go idea is apparently only going to be available in "Enterprise" version -- but to me this is a 100% misnomer -- no sensible "Enterprise" is going to even THINK of touching W8 with a 7 Km long pole and the people who could get most use out of this feature would be "roving" or external consultants working at different customer sites -- and these people won't have access to W8 "Enterprise".

The whole Metro idea has to be DROPPED totally for computers used in businesses.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

There is going to be a professional version of Windows 8 as well as an Enterprise version. I've heard nothing to suggest that they aren't going to functionally work the same as the version of Windows 8 that we have all been playing with for some time now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz OC'd to 3.40Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R rev. 1.1, F12 BIOS
    Memory
    8GB G.Skill PI DDR2-800, 4-4-4-12 timings
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA 1280MB Nvidia GeForce GTX570
    Sound Card
    Realtek ALC899A 8 channel onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD
    Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black, 32MB cache. WD1001FALS
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
    Windows and Linux enthusiast. Logitech G35 Headset.
pparks, but if you look back at Microsoft's trend with making a professional version of their O/S, not to much about them are the same. For one thing, with a professional version of Windows 8, THERE will have to be a way to bring up more than a single desktop screen at a time, Metro would retard that, so I seriously doubt any portion of Metro would be built-in the professional version. BUT I do believe the start screen will be, as so much as the ability of using a touch screen to create passwords. (More Secure).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Hasn't it already been established that there will be four versions? Windows RT, Windows 8, Windows 8 Professional, and Windows 8 Enterprise. Going by past experience, Professional just has added features over the lower version. There wasn't all that much difference in how they looked, it was the same OS just with added features. Do you know something we don't know?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
pparks, but if you look back at Microsoft's trend with making a professional version of their O/S, not to much about them are the same.
Huh, say what? With Windows 7, the professional version adds group policy support, remote desktop, and ability to join a domain. Functionally speaking though, the actual way the OS works, looks and feels is practical identical. I think you are misinformed in how these business versions differ from the home version.

For one thing, with a professional version of Windows 8, THERE will have to be a way to bring up more than a single desktop screen at a time, Metro would retard that, so I seriously doubt any portion of Metro would be built-in the professional version.
So, now you understand why us IT guys are up in arms. This interface is complete crap as far as business usage goes. But they have provided nothing to say things would be different for the pro or enterprise versions.

I'm with alphanumeric on this one, I don't know of any reason to believe that Metro won't work exactly the same under the Professional version as it will under the standard version. Besides, Microsoft is going to be providing the Professional version with the $39.99 upgrade. Why would they show us the consumer preview, the development preview and now the Release Preview, but have something totally different for the enterprise?

If there was going to be substantial changes in the Enterprise product, they would have made that available to enterprises to evaluate. Because right now, the IT Pros are saying, "no way in hell is this going on desktops at work".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info

Hi there
I just don't see W8 ever going anywhere NEAR any serious office either - at least in its current form.

The Windows to go idea is apparently only going to be available in "Enterprise" version -- but to me this is a 100% misnomer -- no sensible "Enterprise" is going to even THINK of touching W8 with a 7 Km long pole and the people who could get most use out of this feature would be "roving" or external consultants working at different customer sites -- and these people won't have access to W8 "Enterprise".

The whole Metro idea has to be DROPPED totally for computers used in businesses.

Cheers
jimbo

I disagree. Yesterday, I showed the Windows 8 to a guy I know that runs a small car dealership. He was definitely impressed as he told me that he has a friend that has about 20-25 PCs that he might want running a dual boot of 7 and 8 with 8 being used the most. Heck, his wife and daughter came into the dealership into the office when I was talking about the new UI features and he told them that Windows 8 is installed and when they saw it, there was a look of whoa on their faces. People love the dragging down to close an app, it's awesome! It could be just me, but Windows 8 can easily be used in the enterprise once the initial learning curve is overcome. More locations can be pinned to it, more programs, more apps can be pinned and it's very visual. But it could be just me as I find it fantastic to use versus others...along with some other people....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Hi there
wait and see HOW they actually use W8 in business.

The whole Metro idea which forces people to work in FULL SCREEN MODE one screen at a time is totally NOT the way most serious work users actually USE their computers.

Perhaps in a car dealership where the saleman just points out each individual model full screen is fine -- but just try something really EASY like translating a document into a second language ONLY USING ONE non windowed FULL screen. At the very least you need to be able to SEE both documents at the same time -- then say you want to add data from a spread sheet or several spread sheets. Maybe you don't do spread sheets etc - but this is a very NORMAL type work activity in 1000;s of workplaces around the world.

Case closed M'Lud. Next case please. !

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there

Cheers
jimbo

I disagree. Yesterday, I showed the Windows 8 to a guy I know that runs a small car dealership. He was definitely impressed as he told me that he has a friend that has about 20-25 PCs that he might want running a dual boot of 7 and 8 with 8 being used the most. Heck, his wife and daughter came into the dealership into the office when I was talking about the new UI features and he told them that Windows 8 is installed and when they saw it, there was a look of whoa on their faces. People love the dragging down to close an app, it's awesome! It could be just me, but Windows 8 can easily be used in the enterprise once the initial learning curve is overcome. More locations can be pinned to it, more programs, more apps can be pinned and it's very visual. But it could be just me as I find it fantastic to use versus others...along with some other people....

Windows 8 can easily be used in the enterprise? Are you talking Metro Apps or just the traditional desktop apps?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
Jimbo said:
At the very least you need to be able to SEE both documents at the same time -- then say you want to add data from a spread sheet or several spread sheets.
Jimbo, buddy MSO has that ability built into it. The side by side comparison function. BUT that is just 2 documents, NOT a slew like you were saying, so in that scenario you are correct.

*Edit* Just been looking at the new MSO, not sure what you mean now. Are you talking about the actual documents, or thumbnails of them? If it is thumbnails, when you start up MSO 2013, you see 6 documents there to choose from. You can repeat that too your self by opening all at once how many versions you have. For example, I had 5 different copies of my resume opened, and was able to see each clearly to do any revisions that I wanted to do. BUT then again that is in MSO, not Windows 8. BUT you can still do what you were doing before in MSO if I have the gist of what you were saying earlier in this thread.

*Double Edit* Those templates in the new MSO 2013 rock! You just have to download them! Talk about totally cool, the new resume builder makes my resume POP now.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
@Mike Lonewolf, I think Jimbo is refering to trying to multitask in Metro. Multitasking on multiple monitors using traditional desktop programs is the same deal it was in Windows 7. Try to do the same thing in the Metro UI with Metro apps and you face big hurdles. You are limited to one full screen window and thats it. If its a wide screen monitor you can snap two apps on the one screen buts its 2/3 1/3 not a 50 50 split. IMHO anybody trying to get any real work done in Metro is in for a world of frustration.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Self-Built in July 2009
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23" Acer x233H
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair 620HX modular
    Case
    Antec P182
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    ABS M1 Mechanical
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser Mouse
    Internet Speed
    15/2 cable modem
    Other Info
Right Alphanumeric, but with those thumbnails I was talking about can be clicked on to open, and revised. I see it just as we've been seeing Windows 8 in general, WE all have to learn to use our computers ALL over again. Not much is like what we've been use to since Windows 95.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
@Mike Lonewolf, I think Jimbo is refering to trying to multitask in Metro. Multitasking on multiple monitors using traditional desktop programs is the same deal it was in Windows 7. Try to do the same thing in the Metro UI with Metro apps and you face big hurdles. You are limited to one full screen window and thats it. If its a wide screen monitor you can snap two apps on the one screen buts its 2/3 1/3 not a 50 50 split. IMHO anybody trying to get any real work done in Metro is in for a world of frustration.

Hi there
Thanks -- that's EXACTLY what I was trying to say -- I think a lot of people don't understand the whole idea of "Multi-tasking" on a computer -- they've got so used to doing stuff on a mobile phone or on a tablet.

These devices are fine for some applications but totally useless for others -- and trying to explain this concept to the "Texting youth" who probably have difficulty putting any non "text-ese" sentence together or understand expressions containing more than two syllables is probably doomed to failure in the first place.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Jimbo45 said
"Texting youth"
I'll have you KNOW Jimbo that Steve Austin, your avatar started out with a FULL head of hair, a valet with the name of "BabyDoll", the Name Stunning Steve Austin, partnered with another wrestler name Gino Hernandez, (R.I.P.) and worked for the WCCW (World Class Championship Wrestling) I was at the Cow Palace for HIS first EVER wrestling match! YOUNG my posterior! His match was against FreeBird BamBam Terry Gordy (R.I.P.) and LOST!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Hi there
great guy.
Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Here's a little more wrestling History. We know that when Stunning Steve Austin entered the WWF (Now WWE) he came in with the Undertaker. Back when they were both in the WCCW he was known as Mean Mark Callaway. We both went to grade school together.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
Hi there
looking forward to the next generation at the 2012 London Olympics.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives