Windows 8, I’m warming up to you

The following isn't the sentiments expressed by many note.

Windows 8, I’m warming up to you
By Ken Hess
March 26, 2012, 10:00am PDT

Summary: Windows 8 and Server 8 sport the new Metro interface. You might hate it now but you’ll get used to it and you’ll like it.

Windows Server 8 Server Manager

It’s going to take a little time to find everything in Windows 8’s new interface but I think I’m warming up to Metro and its idiosyncrasies. I finally successfully installed Windows Server 8 into a XenServer 5.6 hosted VM. I gave my new Server 8 VM 2 CPUs and 2GB RAM. Alternatively, Windows 8 Desktop installed easily into VMware Workstation 8. I also installed Windows 8 Desktop onto a physical system so that I could test on real hardware as well.

I think I might actually like the Metro interface now that I’ve had a chance to test it, be mad at it, curse it to Hell and then to try it again with a sense of “this is the way of the future for MS operating systems.”

It’s time, as I once told a coworker about 15 years ago, “Put on your big boy pants and learn to use this system.” I was referring to his resistance at learning Windows NT 4.0 after I upgraded his system from Windows NT 3.51. My attitude was soon dampened by the sound of a Director informing my Domain Admin group that we had to stay every night until all of the desktops had 64MB RAM in them. Most of our NT 3.51 systems had 32MB RAM.

more

Permit me to re-clarify, Crawfish. There are advantages to touchscreens, and yet you don't lose the ability to use a mouse and keyboard. Therefor, a touchscreen is better than a regular screen. Mass production lowers costs, so companies will stop manufacturing nontouch monitors and only manufacture touchscreens.

You are correct in stating that there are times when a mouse is better, and you will still be able to use one.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I can see advantages of a smaller touchscreen that is lying flat on my desk. But e.g. a 24" screen that stands up and is 2ft away from me would probably be tiresome for my arms.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Permit me to re-clarify, Crawfish. There are advantages to touchscreens, and yet you don't lose the ability to use a mouse and keyboard. Therefor, a touchscreen is better than a regular screen. Mass production lowers costs, so companies will stop manufacturing nontouch monitors and only manufacture touchscreens.

You are correct in stating that there are times when a mouse is better, and you will still be able to use one.

You've once again just restated what you've already said twice. It was clear the first time you think there are "advantages" (Otherwise, why do it?), yet you won't give even one. OTOH, I've given an example of when they're genuinely useful, which doesn't apply to ordinary desktop use, and I've given a couple of reasons why they don't help with ordinary desktop use, and also mentioned they would be awkward and messy to use. It seems to me something like Kinect has far more potential for desktop usage than a touch screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Well you two, I think touch screens on my desk alongside my keyboard and mouse would be fun.:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
    SATA 3 SSD, SATA 2 5 drives total 6Tb
It all depends on how the computer is used. At a company where things are always routine a fast touchscreen approach for simply entering an order complete or quantity information would be a repeat item.

For the average typical desktop user however it could become quite awkward at times especially with any need to keep returning to the Start screen for each thing when moving about and trying to keep multiple windows open.

Vista saw the sidebar and new gadgets, 7 saw the new taskbar with pin option and gadgets on the desktop, and now 8 will be seeing a touch all gui. But like I have mentioned previous with 7 being a desktop OS success overall MS now has time to "experiment" a little with some other ideas.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
You say need to keep returning to the Start screen Night Hawk but in my home environment I very rarely see it, I'm on my desktop for the whole session. Is this some business thing that you think requires you to use Metro on a desktop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
I just read a tech article on touch screens. MS says that the Win 7 touch screens will work pretty well with Win 8, but you really need a Win 8 touch screen. The areas on the edge of the screen are the hardest to get working right, and Win 7 screens actually have a vacant area near the edges.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
That's daft. Why would MS design Metro so it doesn't work well on current hardware but requires special ones!?!?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
OEMs

That's daft. Why would MS design Metro so it doesn't work well on current hardware but requires special ones!?!?
So the OEMs will buy it from MS.

If the OEMs won't buy it, how will MS sell it to anyone?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,

Bryan, I don't know anybody who uses a touch screen with Win 7. The technology at the time made it difficult to use programs on the edges of the screen. Win 8 will work pretty well on Win 7 touchscreens, but it assumes that the edges now work. So if you buy a touchscreen for Win 8, you need to make sure it is designed for Win 8.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
I notice on my desktop monitor that the start hotspot on my task bar is very very tight to the edge of the screen. One option would be to underscan the monitor a bit maybe. Although I don't actually use that I use the windows key anyway!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
I notice on my desktop monitor that the start hotspot on my task bar is very very tight to the edge of the screen. One option would be to underscan the monitor a bit maybe. Although I don't actually use that I use the windows key anyway!

Underscanning a monitor to deal with hotspots? I get it now. Every day is April Fool's day with the "Metro" thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
LOL! I wasn't being serious!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives
Hotspots are serious business that should not be fooled with. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
I was talking about the idea of underscanning, which combined with hotspots, would be multiplying stupid. Then again, maybe he writes drivers for ATI. To this day, that company thinks 15% underscan is just right for HDTVs. I've always wondered how many cards have been sent back due that ridiculous default and the difficulty of finding the option to correct it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I said "One option would be to underscan the monitor a bit maybe." so the words 'option' and 'maybe' indicate I was thinking aloud about possibilities and NOT advocating it! And my name is Brian not 'he'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64bit
    self built
    CPU
    i5-2500K
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77
    Memory
    16Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD HD5700
    Monitor(s) Displays
    HPLP2475w, AOC
    Hard Drives

The two hot spots are lower left and lower right. I keep the taskbar on the top and avoid any problems with the Start, right click menu, and Crawler over on the right corner at the bottom of the screen. If you go to right click for the menu with the taskbar at the bottom you likely will end up with the taskbar properties instead.

That's one of the failings they made with knowing that the default setting sees the taskbar on bottom not side or top of screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
In Firefox, try hitting Ctrl+F to find something, then go to click the x to close the find bar. haha

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8250 x86 + 7 SP1 x86 + Ubuntu 12.04 LTS x86
    CPU
    P4 3.4 GHz HT
    Motherboard
    MSI-7211
    Memory
    OCZ 2 GB DDR @ 400 MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    HIS AGP HD 3850 Turbo Ice-Q