Windows 8 Hangs/Freezes Splash Screen

Lesson: the Upgrade Assistant seems to be a false path for installing from XP. Find a newer OS, create a DVD ISO, install from that.

Best way.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
Hi guys

My problem lies in both the desktop upgrade AND the clean install by booting from disc. Whatever way I try I cannot get past the windows logo with the spinning dots. I've tried the bios settings with no luck, Ive tried with USB key doesn't work either

I created my bootable DVD/USB from my PC which has windows 7 installed on it. Whichever way i try to install windows 8 I cannot get past the blue/teal windows logo (which IMO doesn't look very modern looks more like a pre-2000 style logo). I have never seen the language selection before (unless I choose to upgrade from desktop which seems to successfully install windows 8 I've tried both upgrade and custom instal from desktop too) and when the computer needs to reboot i get stuck at the logo AGAIN.

I have no idea what is causing this, I've tried to use event manger and can't find a reason why this is happening and I'm not too sure I even know where to look on the event manager. Also when I approach this widows logo through trying to boot from DVD, when the spinning dots come up I have ejected the DVD to see if setup even notices the DVD was ejected... Which by the way it didn't. It just carries on spinning like it wants to do something but doesn't.

Getting fed up xD

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hi Jay29. Welcome to EightForums.

The disk you made must not have burned correctly is what comes to mind. I see you burned in 7,but how?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Hi Hippsie, thanks for your response

I have burnt once with imgburn, one with magicISO, and once with windows 7 DVD/USB tool and I have also made a bootable USB out of it.

I am doubtful that there is any corruption or missing data. This is due to the fact I can run the setup through desktop and the upgrade successfully installs without any errors, however upon rebooting I can never get past the windows logo screen!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I had a problem after upgrading win 8 it would get to the logo then reboot. I don't know if its the same situation but i started the install again but kept my internet on and ran a download when prompted. And all works good. Also if the kernal that wind 8 is using may not recignise some firmware unless it can be updated if posible

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Hi Hippsie, thanks for your response

I have burnt once with imgburn, one with magicISO, and once with windows 7 DVD/USB tool and I have also made a bootable USB out of it.

I am doubtful that there is any corruption or missing data. This is due to the fact I can run the setup through desktop and the upgrade successfully installs without any errors, however upon rebooting I can never get past the windows logo screen!

Hippsie and Jay, It is most definitely *NOT* caused by a corrupted disk, as I am trying to install and have been having these issues from a retail boxed edition of the Windows 8 Pro upgrade.

From reading other forums, mainly Technet (there's a thread on there with a few hundred replies from people like us having this issue since August) it seems they have reached the conclusion that the actual windows boot loader has an issue on microsoft's end. Nothing they have tried has fixed our issue. At this point I am a firm believer that the issue is with the boot loader in the install files and it is up to Microsoft to patch/fix it.

The aforementioned people on Technet had no problems using the Developer Preview, nor the Consumer Preview, but once they tried to install the RTM edition, they were slapped with the issue we all face. It is likely Microsoft made some last minute changes and didn't thoroughly test the changes on a wide range of machines. They spent several months testing the DP and CP versions, if they spent several months testing the RTM version, the release of Windows 8 would of been pushed back into early 2013.

What gives me confidence that its on Microsoft's end and not ours, is the fact that on that thread, a user was able to uncompile the boot loader files in the RTM version, and swap some files out with the CP version, and that these actions resolved the issue (but with some minor bugs). Its definitely not something we would want to try, but I think it goes to show that this issue is originating in the actual windows installation files and not from us. Maybe the new boot loader is searching for something on our machines that we don't have because of our hardware, who knows what it is, but whatever its searching for, it's obvious its not finding and its hanging up. Reminds me of a If/Then conditional statement with no fallback.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hi @needhelp

I have read that entire forum post my self Aswell. A few people solved the problem by using DISM GUI to integrate drivers into the boot.wim file and others have fixed it by replacing the install.wim and boot.wim and few other boot files with those from the developer preview edition of windows 8.

I myself have tried to integrate drivers and this did not solve my problem. I think I might try just once to replace the boot files with those of developer edition and if that fails I wil wait for Microsoft to fix there mess!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Ok good. You're up and running. :) Sorry, but I got busy today.

I noticed a lot of people are having problems with upgrades. I think MS needs to address this. Most of the savvier here recommend fresh install.

I doubt any firmware needed updating unless you mean drivers.

Just for grins, did you use the upgrade advisor?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Hi hippsie that's fine no problem

Yes I have tried with upgrade advisor and I have tried with downloaded unmodified ISO's from other sources. All my firmware and drivers where uptodate prior. It's definitely a problem with boot loader not picking up something or being stuck in an unsolveable loop.

This is what happens when a company rush-releases something.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Hey Jay - I wasn't expecting a quick response and thus I went back and edited my post to add in more thoughts prior to seeing your recent post.

I'm not going to try and mess with the files myself, and I've been putting off calling up MS Support cause I know it will take hours and hours!

My Computer

System One

• OS
Lol just read it! Sorry I said developer preview, it was consumer your right. Only thing we can do in that case is wait

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Ok Jay20. Hopefully it'll get resolved soon. Hang in there!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Good afternoon Jay20. I am having the same exact issue you are having. I may have found a solution. How To Install Windows 8 From USB Specifies a unique way to install from USB. I will give that a shot and will keep this thread updated whether or not it works.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8/7
    CPU
    AMD A8-5600K
    Motherboard
    FM2-A75MA-E35
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RAEDON HD 5570
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ELEMENT 32" / PHILLIPS 32"
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768 / 1360X768
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD GREEN
    1TB WD BLUE
    Case
    ROSEWILL CHALLENGER
    Keyboard
    STEEL SERIES Z-BOARD
    Mouse
    RAZER NAGA
Jay my friend,

I held good to my promise and spent a few hours with a Microsoft technician today. They are extremely confident that the culprit is my Asus A8N-SLI mobo, and i'll tell you why. I don't know about you, but I have two Unknown Devices in my Device Manager. I never knew what the corresponded to, but the MS technician identified them as missing drivers for my bios. I tried to update the drivers before to find out what they went to, but searching the web never came back with a result, now I know why:

Unfortunately, Asus doesn't provide any Windows 7 support for the mobo at all; it only offers drivers up to Vista. The technician told me it has to have Windows 7 compatible drivers in order for Win8 to install correctly, and these drivers for Vista apparently aren't compatible. I think our eventual conclusion that the boot loader is searching for something in our outdated bios and not finding it and hanging up is ringing true here.

The MS tech was extremely confident that this was causing the hangup we have been experiencing.

However, I'll be MUCH more confident if you also have some Unknown Devices that correspond to missing drivers for your bios.

In case you do have some Unknown Devices and want to know if they are the same as mine: if you go into the Properties, then Detail, the Hardware IDs should be ACPI\PNPB006 and ACPI\PNPB02F.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Unfortunately my attempts that I mentioned in my previous post did not work. Sorry Jay20.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8/7
    CPU
    AMD A8-5600K
    Motherboard
    FM2-A75MA-E35
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    RAEDON HD 5570
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ELEMENT 32" / PHILLIPS 32"
    Screen Resolution
    1360x768 / 1360X768
    Hard Drives
    500GB WD GREEN
    1TB WD BLUE
    Case
    ROSEWILL CHALLENGER
    Keyboard
    STEEL SERIES Z-BOARD
    Mouse
    RAZER NAGA
Unfortunately my attempts that I mentioned in my previous post did not work. Sorry Jay20.

Hi, Thanx for your participation, I have tried that previously and it did no work. It's definitely the boot loader searching for something that can never be found

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
@Needhelp hi mate

That was interesting. Im confused because I have no missing drivers all of my hardware drivers checkout according to device manager. There all windows 7 compatible even considering my PC was preloaded with windows xP when I bought it. It's interesting that It may be a motherboard compatibility issue I have seen this being speculated across the forums!

This is so confusing I wonder what is causing the hangs on my system? If its a bios problem there is no hints given. Even upgrade assistance says I have compatible drivers. I only lack the resolution for snap apps and secure boot.

My thread on Microsoft technet (titled same as this topic) is being diagnosed by MS and a contingent staff called Juke Chou is currently suggesting me ways to figure out the problem. He's requested a log file that I will send him tonight. Hopefully some experienced analysis will figure out what wrong here!!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3