Windows 8 dual boot installed, Windows 8 won't boot up. Black Screen!

FYI - I had no trouble to install on a 25GB partition of my Toshiba laptop (it is on a 90GB SSD where space is at a premium). I did have trouble though installing it in Virtual Box on that same laptop whilst the vBox installation on my desktop went like a breeze. So it seems to be erratic.

Interesting. I'm also on a Toshiba laptop. I think I will try installing on my HDD.

If the installation didn't complete, none of the Windows 8 repair options will help right?
Also, (may be a really silly questions), but at what point do you actually remove the Windows 8 Installation disc from the computer and change your BIOS back to boot from HDD? I would assume not until you reach the Windows 8 desktop?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You don't even have to change anything in the bios setup itself. Look for the F key like F4, F8, F11, F12 for bringing up the boot device menu when going to boot from th 8 dvd. You then select th cd rom option.

Once the first restart is seen once all setup files are copied over you will be booting from your main drive right away! That's when you will run into the new Setup Wizard full of screens which is quite a bit different as most are now aware of!

As far as the Automatic Repair option if the install is incomplete you wouldn't expect it to be any good. That is for repair of Windows once you have it up and running and then something stuffs up on you preventling Windows from starting or running right.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
I just reinstalled...No luck. : (

Edit: Nevermind, I got it! :D I had to connect my laptop t my TV through HDMI, and now the TV is my monitor...But, is their anyway to access windows 8, without having to connect it to my TV? Please help! : D

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
I just reinstalled...No luck. : (

Edit: Nevermind, I got it! :D I had to connect my laptop t my TV through HDMI, and now the TV is my monitor...But, is their anyway to access windows 8, without having to connect it to my TV? Please help! : D

:thumb: glad it worked for you mate.
Screen shuts off after boot animation - Microsoft Answers
Windows 8 - Dell N5110 - black screen - Microsoft Answers

These may or may not help you. Not sure there is a solution for it yet.
So at what point did you realise it didn't work with just your laptop screen? Obviously the installation was successful, but how far through it did you get before you thought it didn't work?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You don't even have to change anything in the bios setup itself. Look for the F key like F4, F8, F11, F12 for bringing up the boot device menu when going to boot from th 8 dvd. You then select th cd rom option.

Once the first restart is seen once all setup files are copied over you will be booting from your main drive right away! That's when you will run into the new Setup Wizard full of screens which is quite a bit different as most are now aware of!

As far as the Automatic Repair option if the install is incomplete you wouldn't expect it to be any good. That is for repair of Windows once you have it up and running and then something stuffs up on you preventling Windows from starting or running right.

Thank you! I may have been going wrong there by changing to boot from CD Drive in the bios.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
Interesting reading all this...
I'm on an Acer laptop and I just can not get it to boot cleanly. Although both OS's work (W8 and Vista) it's a case of forced shutdowns and reboots to get to one or the other.

I looked at and went through the repair options a couple of days ago but no luck.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Vostro 3750/Acer 9301
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender

Thank you! I may have been going wrong there by changing to boot from CD Drive in the bios.

Generally you should see a normal boot from any installation disk either way. The F key to bring up boot device menu however simplifies the task of making repeat trips into the bios unnecessary and often prevents forgetfulness of leaving it set for the optical drive and then wondering why the installation isn't proceeding along as it should?

Too often I hear people complaining they can't get past a certain point with any installation and wonder why they end up in a loop. If they pulled the install dvd out too soon as soon as all setup files are unpacked to the drive but forget to go back into the bios they end up with a loop!

As for your problem there Mooly it sounds like the boot configuration isn't correct. If you are using the entry for Vista found in the 8 boot menu following the install and Vista refuses to load up you may have to remove that entry and use a 3rd party tool. Here with a dual boot across two drives the 7 entry added into 8 was automatic while the one for 8 added into the 7 BCD required the new version's Advanced Repair option in order to 8 load when selected.

Each drive ended up with the option to boot into the other version regardless of which drive was set as the default boot device. All this was part of testing the 8 boot loader. Likewise with Vista you may have to run the EasyBCD tool to add an entry into one version for the other as well as run the Vista Startup repair if it refuses to load when selecting the older version when leaving 8 as the default OS.

The 2.0.2 version or newer is advised for 8 while you can go back as far as the 1.5.2 version for Vista since it was developed for Vista from the start and later updated for 7 and now will be continually for 8. Without a second HD in your laptop you are kind of left in an awkward spot since you can't isolate one Windows installation from the other as far as mbr entries and boot information on two separate drives. The newer version wants to charge automatically.

Another thing to mention is that Windows regardless of which version it is always prefers the first primary on the drive it will be installed onto! Now add the OEM factor with things like the recovery partition as well as the factory preinstall's own boot information. There's just enough of a change seen with the 8 BCD and boot sector info to throw things in a whirl at times over the close compatibility Vista and 7 shared with each of their own BCDs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Thanks Night Hawk. I do have a recovery partition (XP never to be used again) so as you say the OEM configuration could be an issue as well. Vista was clean installed using the "free upgrade disc" at the time.

I'm a seasoned Acronis user and so I might have another go at clean installing W8 as main OS for a play knowing I can revert back all partitions as they were at any time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 x64 pro and W8.1 x86
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Dell Vostro 3750/Acer 9301
    CPU
    Intel i5/AMD Turion 64
    Memory
    4Gb/2Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel i5 internal/NVidia GEFORCE GO 6100
    Sound Card
    Realtek
    Hard Drives
    250Gb SSD and 120Gb
    Mouse
    HP Z4000
    Internet Speed
    76 down, 20 up
    Browser
    MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender
Still having an issue with getting W8 to display on my laptop's monitor...Oh, and when I do get on W8 (when I connect it to my TV), I connected to my windows live account. But, when I type in my password, it says I get it wrong...I've tried many times, too.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
If you have a keyboard without a seperate nums pad, check whether the nums lock is on. That would alter your password.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
With the tv connected that is likely being seen as the primary display. You will need to go into the Control Panel>Display section to correct this there. You will want to see if the lcd on the laptop is even being detected as it should.

Often a tv will simply replace the default monitor even on a desktop once you have that configured rather then ending up with a clone desktop. Laptops and other portables are not really geared for dual displays until you configure things manually.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
Okay, I did what you said on Windows 8...I got to the menu and it does DETECT my Laptop's monitor, it detects it. BUT I can't apply it for some reason. I even updated my Intel HD Graphic's drivers..
Like, the "applu" button is still greyed out...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
You may have to shutdown, unplug the tv, and then see if you get the normal display working on the built-in display itself in order to set that as default.

Apparently you are not seeing the cloned display you would expect but tv replaces lcd once detected. That would explain why that would be greyed out.

Now that you updated the laptop's display drivers you can give that a try to see if you get anything without the tv connected. It should default back to the laptop. But the only way to find out would be giving that a test.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
It didn't work... It still detects it, but it does not let me apply the settings. I still have no display on my laptop, just my TV...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
It could be your back light is gone on the laptop. The display is still being detected while the screen will remain black for that reason.

If the post screen is dark as well as the loading OS screen you wouldn't be able to go into the bios setup and try jump starting the display by switching from integrated to PCI and then back to integrated without the tv connected. No post screen at all would suggest the back light as the problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    PSU
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
I also have the same problem on a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop. I have it set up to dual boot and the Windows 7 OS works flawlessly. However whenever I boot into Windows 8 CP I get the Post and it starts to load Windows 8 and then just a black screen.

If I then connect a monitor to the VGA output I get video on the external monitor. Nothing on the laptop display and no option to do so.

When I go into Control Panel -> Display and try to Detect my laptop display, it doesn't even show up as an option. Just the external monitor.
I tried updating and downgrading video drivers, using a mix from Intel and Microsoft; but still no option to use the laptop display.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
    Dell Inspiron 15R
    Memory
    8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
I also have the same problem on a brand new Dell Inspiron laptop. I have it set up to dual boot and the Windows 7 OS works flawlessly. However whenever I boot into Windows 8 CP I get the Post and it starts to load Windows 8 and then just a black screen.

If I then connect a monitor to the VGA output I get video on the external monitor. Nothing on the laptop display and no option to do so.

When I go into Control Panel -> Display and try to Detect my laptop display, it doesn't even show up as an option. Just the external monitor.
I tried updating and downgrading video drivers, using a mix from Intel and Microsoft; but still no option to use the laptop display.

Welcome to the forum!

This problem of yours looks serious.

Try one of the drivers mentioned here: http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/2519-intel-hd-graphics-2000-3000-a.html

They seem to talk about intel hd graphics 3000, if this is your graphics card. Keep an eye on windows update and intel's drivers website as they constantly release new drivers and fixes.

Good luck
Hopachi

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
HAHAHA! I was in the same situation. Just close and open your laptop when it goes into the black screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer Preview / Windows 7 Home Basic
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory
    4 gb RAM

HAHAHA! I was in the same situation. Just close and open your laptop when it goes into the black screen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Developer Preview / Windows 7 Home Basic
    Dell Inspiron
    Memory
    4 gb RAM
The problem with Intel HD graphics cards on windows 8 is that they don't detect the laptop display. Your backlight isn't broken, the driver just doesn't detect the display. Some users found that if you close the lid (causing it to go to sleep) and opening it back up the display will work again. Although only some users were able to get it working.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-2500k
    Motherboard
    ASRock z77 Extreme 4
    Memory
    Team Elite 8GB (4 x 2GB)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 & Nvidia GT 530