Windows 8: Do you need it?

I'm certain that the people asking this question expect a simple answer. They're looking for a straightforward yes or a no.

I wish it were that easy.

The problem is that I cannot possibly see into your home or office and know what your particular circumstances are. The best I can do is to offer a big picture based on certain scenarios, and then hand the decision over to you.

Let's take a look at a few scenarios.

Read more at source:
Windows 8: Do you need it? | ZDNet

well i have an interesting comment about windows 8 my cousin from the usa who happens to work for microsoft i asked him if i should go from windows 7 to windows 8 he said only if you want to put the shotgun to your head and pull the trigger i said does that mean nope he said i will never upgrade to windows 8 isnt nice how even microsofts own staff dont want to use it lol

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 64 bit
Not really surprising. He must understand what the os is for - and where MS is trying to take people.

i asked him if i should go from windows 7 to windows 8 he said only if you want to put the shotgun to your head and pull the trigger

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Some like it, some don't. Microsoft will not please everyone. Windows 8 is not for everyone. If you don't like Widows 8, that's ok, stay with XP or go with Windows 7. Hopefully those that don't like Windows 8 will like Windows 9 or what ever it is called.

If Windows 8 is a flop Microsoft I'm sure will know soon enough and make changes. So far I like it and have not had any problems.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
If they fix the multi monitor problem, I will like it for sure. For the moment I can deal with it as I run the metro apps in VM in a second monitor, so they stay always open. I like the mail apps

( is it me who say so ? , or Coke hack my account ? )

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    C:\Intel series 520 SSD , 250 GB
    D:\ WD 750 black with Intel 40gb SSD cache Intel RST
    E:\ WD 2TB Black
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
    Windows 8 VM is install on his own SSD.
I think he has finally gotten to you....:what:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
If they fix the multi monitor problem, I will like it for sure. For the moment I can deal with it as I run the metro apps in VM in a second monitor, so they stay always open. I like the mail apps

( is it me who say so ? , or Coke hack my account ? )

Lol! Hint. Hint. Why not just admit you're warming up to it, area 66? Others have. :)

I believe MS designed 8 for the general population for consumption and to teach the new UI for use across multiple devices. Some businesses that fit the scenario will adopt it. The medical industry being one of them. I think most businesses will stick to prior OSs for the time being.

I think MS has a 9 aimed at enterprise. All software will eventually be written in the Modern interface and the "desktop" as we've known it will be history. I think it to eventually be a multipane/multimonitor UI. On one screen have "live" updating panes of apps one uses. Much like TV big screen where one views multiple channels in real time. Email, communication apps, simple clock, calendar with appointments, other used apps, etc. One will then drag or open any one of those apps to another monitor (or 2 or 3, etc) to work within or simply open one up full on the same monitor. Or half, or 2/3, or whatever. The possibilities will be endless.

All in all, I think the software giant has awoken to the fact that software companies have been sponging profits off their OSs since inception. AV being a big one as example. Writers may write apps in this new interface, but MS simply wants a piece of the pie. After all, they are in a business to make a profit.

Some say this takes away choice. No, it's MS taking control. Much like a parent with their children. Listen or don't listen. One continues to have a choice -> Use it or not use it. If not, go elsewhere.

Please don't cry monopoly. 85 or 90% is not a monopoly. 100% is. I agree that choices are slim. There are other OSs and anyone may start their own OS software company. It's a free and open market. Besides, the competition would be good. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Metro UI

I don't need it, but I don't have problem using it either.

Windows 8 runs fast and smoothly in lowend/midend PC for basic/typical tasks.

But I prefer to work in native desktop OS just like XP or 7, I use AutoCAD, 3Ds Max very often... and certainly don't want to modeling/drawing in a metro environment at all, looks so flashy and toyish UI... When I works, I prefer no sub-side metro panel activity around, it's always better to extend working space to other monitor (if any) rather than useless activity (which's ok when you do regular task, surf web, check news...etc)

But as far as it can operate in fullscreen (for example 3dsmax) and user ain't aware of metro frontend UI, isn't it the same? But it'd be long time to reach there... I guess.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows XP SP3, Windows 8 Pro, Windows XP SP2 x64
I don't need it, but I don't have problem using it either.

Windows 8 runs fast and smoothly in lowend/midend PC for basic/typical tasks.

But I prefer to work in native desktop OS just like XP or 7, I use AutoCAD, 3Ds Max very often... and certainly don't want to modeling/drawing in a metro environment at all, looks so flashy and toyish UI... When I works, I prefer no sub-side metro panel activity around, it's always better to extend working space to other monitor rather than useless activity (which's ok when you do regular task, surf web, check news...etc)

But as far as it operate in fullscreen (for example 3dsmax) and user ain't aware of metro frontend UI, isn't it the same. But it'd be long time to reach there... I guess.

I am curious, How does Windows 8 do when you are using the desktop side for your work using Autocad?

I agree with you on the metro side though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980
Sorry what I said is...

@jbfoster: I mean I still use Win XP and Windows 7 but primary OS is XP. Win7 in home PC (dual boot XP/7), I've just remove and place Win 8 instead. But I only use Win 8 for regular task such as web browsing, play media, listening music, etc... but in home, what else more do I need? So I'm OK with Win8 for home using.

I don't install AutoCAD in Windows 8. But if it works properly, it probably appears same as every other WinOS. Of course it'd run as desktop app (because metro edition of it non-existed and may never be). I tend to keep it simple and lightweight to experience a few weeks before I install anything heavy (maybe won't install those at all). Because at the moment, I keep win7/XP in mind for working or heavy task (now only XP).

My Computer

System One

• OS
@jbfoster: I mean I still use Win XP and Windows 7 but primary OS is XP. Win7 in home PC (dual boot XP/7), I've just remove and place Win 8 instead. But I only use Win 8 for regular task such as web browsing, play media, listening music, etc... but in home, what else more do I need? So I'm OK with Win8 for home using.

I don't install AutoCAD in Windows 8. But if it works properly, it probably appears same as every other WinOS. Of course it'd run as desktop app (because metro edition of it non-existed and may never be). I tend to keep it simple and lightweight to experience a few weeks before I install anything heavy (maybe won't install those at all). Because at the moment, I keep win7/XP in mind for working or heavy task (now only XP).

If you do install and do some heavy computing in Windows 8, please post back here your experience as I would like to know how it goes. I don't do anything crazy. I surf the web, download movies encode/convert some movies.

Thanks

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-990FX
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce 980

If you do install and do some heavy computing in Windows 8, please post back here your experience as I would like to know how it goes. I don't do anything crazy. I surf the web, download movies encode/convert some movies.

Thanks
I can attest to this. I've done heavy computing with Windows 8 for a while now, and it's actually better to use than 7.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
@jbfoster: Yes. BTW, i think rip/encode movie is one of heavy tasks someway 'coz it utilize 100% CPU performance and take times.

My using AutoCAD is only about compatible issue and personal habit, most counted thing, I prefer to work in classic AutoCAD (<2010) version along Windows XP/7. Similar with 3Ds Max, it's heavy CPU load only in rendering process, modeling in viewport almost rely on graphic card. Nothing crazy or hardcore about them than ur video encoding process.

My Computer

System One

• OS
Do I need it, probably not, am I getting it, yes. OK I love gadgets and just think this is another gadget to play with, especially using a laptop instead of a desktop with a 22" monitor. :p

It will be a learning curve as I haven't even looked at it yet so have no idea what to expect but at least it will keep me on my toes and my brain working. I will look on it as another stage in my life where I'm taken out of my comfort zone and have to try something different, it will be fun and I'm looking forward to it. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 32 bit/ Windows 8.1 64 bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Zoostorm/ Asus K55A Notebook
    CPU
    Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2400 MHz
    Motherboard
    Foxconn 45CMX/45GMX/45CMX-K
    Memory
    2048 MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM)/8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Corp 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
    Sound Card
    Onboard Realtek
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hanns.G HH221 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    ExcelStor (250GB)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 (UK)
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Just under 4MB download it's ADSL.
    Other Info
    Epson Stylus SX415 All-in-one Printer,
    Seagate Expansion 500GB External Desktop Drive
I can attest to this. I've done heavy computing with Windows 8 for a while now, and it's actually better to use than 7.[/QUOTE]

What is that heavy computing you did with an Athlon 240 ? are you folding or do something like that ?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
I can attest to this. I've done heavy computing with Windows 8 for a while now, and it's actually better to use than 7.

What is that heavy computing you did with an Athlon 240 ? are you folding or do something like that ?[/QUOTE]

That, and Photoshopping, AutoCAD, video converting, DVD authoring, HD video playback, Office, VMs, hard drive checking/recovery/wiping and reformatting, DVD ripping, backing up user data from other PCs and copying and pasting those files into their new directories, video creation, STD checking, and some light games like Grand Theft Auto Vice City, PS 1 and 2 emulation, and before I had Hitman on Windows 7 as well as Grand Theft Automobile IV that actually ran graphically like a console more or less.

Folding, what?!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Folding Protein Simulation, to help research .....Folding@home - HomePage a lot of peoples do it, we share or PC to help the science. They give points, the faster you return the results the more you have points, it's very intensive on the CPU or The GPU or both. And you will like this part, it's seems to be a little bit faster on Windows 8 , but of course it will not beat a Linux with 4 XEON CPUs. With Linux you can isolate the cores and have a better load on each of them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Ahh, that's interesting, I think I might take that up.

Especially when I have my eight core processor and Radeon 7870...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
AMD GPU sucks at this, only Nvidia perform well , it'S the fault of AMD they are not interested to give us driver for it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 enterprise x64
    Pc-Quebec / Area 66
    CPU
    i7-3960X Extreme Edition
    Motherboard
    Rampage IV Extreme
    Memory
    Gskill 4x4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    4 x HD 7970
    Sound Card
    onboard
    Screen Resolution
    2560*1600
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair AX 1200
    Case
    TT Mozart TX
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Logitech G-15
    Other Info
Really? How so?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Back