Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability

It stems from the same thing Kat.

Trying to force the online stuff at users.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    7/8/ubuntu/Linux Deepin
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
I like the core and speed of windows 8 but I dislike the way microsoft forces us. I am not a sheep . I want to be able to have alternative as to UI.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8 pro x64
    CPU
    Q9300
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte P43 Es3g
    Memory
    8 GB of ddr 2
    Graphics Card(s)
    sapphire hd 6850
    Sound Card
    sound blaster titanium x-fi pci-e
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22 inches
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 2 TB st20001dm001
    Samsung 2 tb sata 2
    Hitachi 500 gb sata
    PSU
    fatality 550 w
    Case
    spike
    Cooling
    air
    Mouse
    wired A4
    Internet Speed
    ADSL 8 MB / 1 MB
Trying to force the online stuff at users.

... if you are online, you are in the cloud. For most, internet access is an online service that we subscribe to. If you pay for gas with a card, you are in the cloud. If you buy groceries at the shopping center or quick mart with a card, you are in the cloud. If you make a bank deposit or withdrawal, you are in the cloud. If you downloaded Windows or any app, you are in the cloud. If you have email, you are in the cloud. If you are on this forum, you are in the cloud. One is from England, another from Australia, India, Iceland, Spain, Germany, Belgium, Canada, and another from America...in the cloud.

Many in the business sector consider cloud services to be very useful.
Even Linux and Apple are getting on the cloud wagon.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
We're not talking about email or posting on forums.

We mean the dubious practise of storing files online, and pay-per-use programs ('apps' is so childish
it's banal)and we don't want to be monetised by MS or anyone else if we choose not to be.

And there's the keyword - choice.

Online pay-per-use or subscription-based programs etc are not of the slightest interest to me.

I want buy once-use forever software. Activate ONCE, if at all, and it's yours for life.

And I insist on retaining total control over my files, programs AND machine.

I don't trust companies, I don't trust hackers, and I certainly don't trust our governments.

And I'm not alone. MANY feel the same way.

IMO, it's just as much to blame if W8 fails as Metro, if not more-so.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.
I like the core and speed of windows 8 but I dislike the way microsoft forces us. I am not a sheep . I want to be able to have alternative as to UI.

I agree, I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for w8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again. Programs on my computer run faster, response times are quicker, core speed is fast, gaming is very good too on my part. Win8 is a nice system with lots of new improvements that make the whole system faster, the only thing holding it back is its bland and unappealing looks. I can just imagine millions of people complaining to MS on their forums right now. Its an issue that people won't let go until Ms makes an update to restore the option.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo Ideapad Z565
    CPU
    AMD Phenom 2.8ghz dual-core
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 4200 series
    Hard Drives
    256gb 5400rpm sata
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    standard laptop keyboard
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Wifi
We're not talking about email or posting on forums....

We mean the dubious practise of storing files online, and pay-per-use programs ('apps' is so childish
it's banal)and we don't want to be monetised by MS or anyone else if we choose not to be.

But you are in the cloud if you are online (and you are paying for an online service).

It is not Microsoft that is the "monitarization monster" ... It is the business sector.
Microsoft is not responsible for creating the cloud! It has been under development by the business sector for years. Only now, with the advancement of BYOD devices and smart phones are online services ramping up.

I would never put my files online but many in business find Servers to be a safe and secure place for data and software. You can comment on pay per use online services, but they are here to stay and will be utilized by all business (IBM, Intel, Apple, Google, Linux Cloud Services and Microsoft)

About the apps, are you commenting on the usability of metro apps? Many are quite good and will get better. I like my Dictionaries, Encyclopedia, Streaming videos, and customization apps. The desktop offers no advantage over many metro apps.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
Not the 'apps' themselves, but the terminology.

I do actually use one or two.

But I prefer to use the term 'programs'.

'Apps' sounds SO 'text-ese'.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit (7 Ult, Vista & XP in V-Box)
    Acer Aspire Ethos AS8951G 'Super-Laptop'.
    CPU
    Intel Sandy-Bridge i7-2670QM quad-core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel 3000HD / Ge-Force GT555M 2 gigs
    Sound Card
    Realtek/5.1 Dolby built-in including speakers.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    18.4" full-HD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1024
    Hard Drives
    2x750GB Toshiba internal, 1x500GB Seagate external, 1x2TB Seagate external, 1x640GB Toshiba pocket-drive, 1x640GB Samsung pocket drive.
    PSU
    Stock
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    Air-cooled
    Mouse
    I/R cordless.
    Internet Speed
    Borderline pathetic.

I agree, I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for w8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again. Programs on my computer run faster, response times are quicker, core speed is fast, gaming is very good too on my part. Win8 is a nice system with lots of new improvements that make the whole system faster, the only thing holding it back is its bland and unappealing looks. I can just imagine millions of people complaining to MS on their forums right now. Its an issue that people won't let go until Ms makes an update to restore the option.

There are alternatives out there, and there is nothing stopping you from using them. :D

Shane88, there is nothing saying you are a sheep just because you happen to like the way the UI is setup, you have a choice with all the new apps out there like "Start8, Startisback, etc.;)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender

There are alternatives out there, and there is nothing stopping you from using them. :D

Shane88, there is nothing saying you are a sheep just because you happen to like the way the UI is setup, you have a choice with all the new apps out there like "Start8, Startisback, etc.;)

Ecevit was talking about MS forcing us like sheep to use its UI, maybe I misunderstood because UI to me means the desktop theme, Maybe hes talking about metro. But I am aware of the alternatives to metro since in my post I did state how I use win 7 explorer on win 8. " I can get MS games to work, I can get w7 explorer for Windows 8, I can even get win7 gadgets working again." My interpretation of UI was thought to mean Aero on desktop, forcing us like sheep was mean't (to me) as not being able to choose aero transparency anymore.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo Ideapad Z565
    CPU
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    256gb 5400rpm sata
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    standard laptop keyboard
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Wifi
Had to help my dad and his friend figure out how to shut down their new Windows 8 laptop last night. They had resorted to just using the power button as they couldn't stumble upon any other way.

And I hope you told them to just shut the lid. Been doing that for years on my laptops and it works equally well for W8, hardly consumes battery and it's basically instant on when you need it by raising the lid.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7, Windows 8 RP
Funny thing is, I like 8 just fine, albeit in desktop mode. With classic shell installed I boot direct to desktop, I have my start menu and start button, hot corners and charms thing disabled. It's just metro.... don't want it.

How to install classic shell....?
How to install start button....?
How to disable corners.........?

Thanks,
BBDS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP
Funny thing is, I like 8 just fine, albeit in desktop mode. With classic shell installed I boot direct to desktop, I have my start menu and start button, hot corners and charms thing disabled. It's just metro.... don't want it.

Thanks,
BBDS

Go here..... Welcome to Classic Shell and download classic shell, and then install it by double clicking.

In the setting area, click the start button tab for start button, windows 8 settings tab for other two.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

Thanks,
BBDS

Go here..... Welcome to Classic Shell and download classic shell, and then install it by double clicking.

In the setting area, click the start button tab for start button, windows 8 settings tab for other two.

WOW, thanks. I went to BestBuy today to get an idea what laptop to buy and got lost in W8 environment.
But with this option (if it works as described) what not to like about W8.....!!!

BBDS

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP
Don't you understand he said Windows 8 with classic shell? That windows 8 with windows XP interface which is everything not to like about Windows 8 except the underlying OS!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8
Don't you understand he said Windows 8 with classic shell? That windows 8 with windows XP interface which is everything not to like about Windows 8 except the underlying OS!

If the only problem with W8 is the interface, the OS is good, then "Classic Shell" solves the problem. I just hope it is not buggy and does not slow things down. XP is still my favorite interface, though I have been using W7 for a wile.

BBDS.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    XP
After trying classic shell I actually like it alot, I still keep ex7 for win8 in case I want to shut down metro altogether. But with classic shell I can choose my start button, and choose alot cool setting for the menu. Very nicely done, I thank the people who made this possible. I made it to where when I hover over the start button, no metro start pops up, and the only way to get to metro is to push the win key, or use the charms bar. But with so many options to do what you like, I think I'll be tinkering around with this program just for fun :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro x64
    Lenovo Ideapad Z565
    CPU
    Motherboard
    AMD
    Memory
    6.00gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    256gb 5400rpm sata
    Cooling
    stock
    Keyboard
    standard laptop keyboard
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    Wifi
I have not noticed that my machine runs any faster with windows 8 vs 7. The reverse seems to be true. Now, it is almost like back in the Vista days, when suddenly the machine would freeze up for a random few seconds every now and then. It does not happen often, maybe 4-5 times a day, but it is very annoying when it does happen. I had none of those problems on this same machine running 7. I am really trying to like 8. I have been using it since prior to launch and in truth, there are some nice features. It is just that I, like many, cannot stand the fact that Microsoft intentionally removed the end user's choice on so many core aspects of the OS. It is not just the start screen. There are quite a few things that have been forced upon us with this OS, and even though now I am completely used to it, I still find it a bit clunky and un-intuitive... Couple this with the fact that Microsoft is running all these silly adds about how we can customize Windows 8 and truly 'make it ours', and it all just feels so hypocritical and ridiculous I would be laughing if it was not so painful. Every time these clear facts are outlined on these boards, all you hear in response is the, 'oh well, can't please everyone', or the 'why do you keep posting this' response. I guess I can say, I will keep posting, as long as there are employees and fan-boys on these boards who are willing to defend these decisions...

Right now, no matter what I do, I cannot seem to share files between two Windows 8 machines. I am the full owner of all the directories in question, and have shared them for user everyone to have full control of the folders on both machines, and no matter what I do, I cannot access the shared folder. My next move is to re-install. Strangely enough, this worked pretty well for about a month, but then decided to stop working a week or so ago... Nothing changed permissions wise. Go figure..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460
No need to 'defend these decisions', you like it or don't, maybe somewhere in between.

It's your choice to run it or not, there are alternatives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64/ Windows 7 Ult x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    76~2.0
    CPU
    Intel Core i5-3570K 4.6GHz
    Motherboard
    GIGABYTE GA-Z77X UD3H f18
    Memory
    8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 1600 CORSAIR Vengeance CL8 1.5v
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Sound Card
    Onboard VIA VT2021
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LCD Dell SP2208WFP
    Screen Resolution
    1680x1050
    Hard Drives
    Samaung 840Pro 128GB, Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb, Seagate 1TB SATA2 7200rpm 32mb,
    PSU
    Corsair HX650W
    Case
    Cooler Master Storm Scout
    Cooling
    Corsair H80 w/Noctua NF P12 12cm fan, case fans 2X14cm
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wave
    Mouse
    CM Sentinel
    Internet Speed
    Abysmal
    Browser
    Opera Next
    Other Info
    Dell Venue 8Pro: Baytrail Z3740D, 2GB Ram, 64GB HDD, 8" IPS Display 1280 x 800, Active Stylus.
    Haswell laptop: HP Envy 17t-j, i7-4700MQ, GeForce 740M 2GB DDR3, 17.3" Full HD 1920x1080, 16GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB, 1TB Hitachi 7200 HDD,
    Desktop: eSATA ports,
    External eSATA Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm,
No need to 'defend these decisions', you like it or don't, maybe somewhere in between.

Right now I am in between, and am hanging in to see where it all leads. I picked up the OS upgrade for only 40 bucks so if I decide to go backwords eventually, I am not out that much. The addition of the start menu and the app store make the os more interesting, I will say that. My work laptops still run 7, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I wish desktop users like myself, who still comprise a massive chunk of windows users over all, did not have to feel like 2nd class citizens with the release of this OS. For instance, I would love to see some apps in the app store that are designed with desktop users in mind, rather than the touch first stuff. Hey, maybe they can even state, 'desktop only', or create a brand new category in the app store. Small things like this can go a long way to helping us desktop users feel a little less left out.. How hard can it be to make the os and the app store slightly more chameleon like, with all the same underlying code, so that desktop users still feel like we are using an os that is designed with us in mind, instead of feeling like we are just after thoughts..

I do tend to post thoughts like these every few weeks or so, and I continue to use windows 8. I believe that there are a lot of Microsoft employees within the boards, and that they comprise a fair margin of those who are out there in these boards defending the OS. Many of my posts have been aimed at them. There have been some rock solid suggestions made by yours truly on how to make this os into a winner..

When I have time, I intend to reload my downstairs machine and hopefully resolve the sharing issue...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    CPU
    Processor AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 635 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    Memory
    8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GTX 460

Right now I am in between, and am hanging in to see where it all leads. I picked up the OS upgrade for only 40 bucks so if I decide to go backwords eventually, I am not out that much. The addition of the start menu and the app store make the os more interesting, I will say that. My work laptops still run 7, and I don't see that changing any time soon. I wish desktop users like myself, who still comprise a massive chunk of windows users over all, did not have to feel like 2nd class citizens with the release of this OS. For instance, I would love to see some apps in the app store that are designed with desktop users in mind, rather than the touch first stuff. Hey, maybe they can even state, 'desktop only', or create a brand new category in the app store. Small things like this can go a long way to helping us desktop users feel a little less left out.. How hard can it be to make the os and the app store slightly more chameleon like, with all the same underlying code, so that desktop users still feel like we are using an os that is designed with us in mind, instead of feeling like we are just after thoughts..

I do tend to post thoughts like these every few weeks or so, and I continue to use windows 8. I believe that there are a lot of Microsoft employees within the boards, and that they comprise a fair margin of those who are out there in these boards defending the OS. Many of my posts have been aimed at them. There have been some rock solid suggestions made by yours truly on how to make this os into a winner..

When I have time, I intend to reload my downstairs machine and hopefully resolve the sharing issue...

You gave me an idea to do a search in the Store app on "desktop". I was surprised at the search results. You may want to try that. For me, most were crap, but there were some good ones.

I'm one to think that all software will eventually be written in the touch interface. Eventually there will be no more desktop portal as we know it in 8 or past OSs. It may take years. MS is heading in a much different direction as in the past. All a part of "Reimagined".

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling