Windows 8.1 Update 2 Confirmed

Microsoft has already rolled out Windows 8.1 Update, but the company is now working on a second pack of improvements that could be released sometime this year and brings several improvements to the modern platform.

According to new details that reached the web this morning, Microsoft is already working on Windows 8.1 Update 2, which is another sign that this OS version is very likely to hit the shelves in just a few months.

Microsoft has already confirmed at the BUILD 2014 developer conference that it's working on a second update for Windows 8.1, but only a few details have actually been confirmed.

Windows 8.1 Update 2 will come with a new Start menu that would try to make the modern operating system a bit more familiar and thus bring back the full functionality of the desktop available in all Windows versions before Windows 8.
More

A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using.
That is my job in fact. It pays my bills but is a different OS I should hasten to add.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro Prieview x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo
    CPU
    T7600
    Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon X1600
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Internal
    Screen Resolution
    1440 x 800
    Hard Drives
    40GB
    Keyboard
    Apple
    Mouse
    Apple
    Internet Speed
    Varies
    Browser
    Various
    Antivirus
    Defender
Is it ok to not have live tiles or not sign in with a Microsoft Account?
I am seeing the view from others that it is not.
Can I configure and run my system how I choose?

yes, it is ok.
Granted, the option is slightly buried to create and login with only a local account.
People really should learn how to read and comprehend everything on a computer screen.

Part of using a PC and new tech is to talk to those who actually know.

When someones asks, "What does this error mean." and the error clearly states, access denied
do they really need me to explain it?
you might be surprised that the answer is yes, in detail.

I am all in favor of a PC Drivers license, if you do not have one, you can't even buy a PC.
Much less look at one.

If people wish to remain ignorant of the simplest tasks, they should not complain about their lot in life.
You forgot something (in lieu of PC "Driver's license) A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using. If you do not know how to repair and maintain a car, you pay mechanic to do it for you. If you can't drive you pay for school. Same goes for computers, there's a lot of people that will be more than happy to fix something you can't for a pay. I make some pocket money occasionally fixing a mess people do with their computers.Knowledge has to be worth something. You either pay for it or save if you have it.
Sorry this is where I disagree. People don't want to learn because they are too lazy to learn it. Its inexcusable. Yeah I get it pays the bills and all but honestly I wish my time in dealing with computers was spent doing something else instead of tech support because people are too lazy to learn the OS. You can't compare this to cars because there is actual real labor that can be involved with this at times. Where as reinstalling an OS or installing a program is not real labor.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
So, let them be lazy, they don't bother to learn, I make money, everybody happy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I cant agree with the thought that everyone who has a computer should learn everything about it so they can take care of issues on their own. If that happened, a lot of us would be out of a job. However, I do agree that they should have to learn some basics about operating the computer they own. Doing that would alleviate a lot of the small issues (Installing, uninstalling, running a program) and let us focus on the bigger issues. (OS issues, program errors, blue screens, etc stuff that you wouldn't expect the average end user to fix).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.3-3.7 Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI Z77-G41
    Memory
    16 GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3-1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 730
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual 20 Inch Dell
    Screen Resolution
    1680*1050
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB
    PSU
    Thermaltake 550W
    Case
    Antec Nine Hundred Two
    Cooling
    Arctic Freezer i30 CO
    Keyboard
    Logitech K330
    Mouse
    Logitech M215
    Internet Speed
    60 Mbps
    Browser
    Comodo Chromodo
    Antivirus
    Comodo Internet Security Premium
So, let them be lazy, they don't bother to learn, I make money, everybody happy.

Hi there

Sometimes people don't want to learn or are doing something else. Nothing wrong with that. For example if you run into a serious legal problem would you try and fix it yourself or use a professional Lawyer whose job it is to know the Law properly and sort it out.

We can't all know 100% of everything -- no problem in paying a professional to do a job that you can't do.

How many people on this forum for example would be quite at home erecting Scaffolding around a large complex building, or performing complex Surgery or Dentistry.. - Don't decry everyone just because they can't be bothered to learn how a computer works (or other tasks you might feel are simple). Everybody has a different skill set. Just use YOURS and if you can make money at it --fine.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)

Hi there

Sometimes people don't want to learn or are doing something else. Nothing wrong with that. For example if you run into a serious legal problem would you try and fix it yourself or use a professional Lawyer whose job it is to know the Law properly and sort it out.

We can't all know 100% of everything -- no problem in paying a professional to do a job that you can't do. _How many people on this forum for example would be quite at home erecting Scaffolding around a large complex building, or performing complex Surgery or Dentistry.. - Don't decry everyone just because they can't be bothered to learn how a computer works (or other tasks you might feel are simple). Everybody has a different skill set. Just use YOURS and if you can make money at it --fine.

Cheers
jimbo
Agreed, to everybody their own. I would pay somebody to do something for me even if could do it myself if he's a professional in that field, he'll do it faster and better than me. In some cases it would be even cheaper for me to have, let's say a brick layer, to build something for me when I can do something that pays better than brick lying. He does it better and faster and at same time I earn even more than him. Not that I didn't do any brick laying but a professional would be 10 times better and faster. I never let anybody work on my cars except exhaust system and body work, that stuff I can do too but nowhere as good as a pro in that field. Lots of other examples, why would computers be different ?
I repaired computer for a relative of mine who has doctorate in IT from a Swiss university , he just could not be bothered with that, was better of working at IT company at the same time, I had to do it for free and he earned heck of a more money at same time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
I still think 8.1 update 1 / 8.1 update 2 is cumbersome and odd. It should be Windows 8.1, 8.2 and 8.3 etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Think of it like this Windows 8.1 is like the Second Edition of Windows 8 since the upgrade was significant enough for Microsoft to warrant a kernel change from the original Windows 8 in which they could not have called it a Service Pack.

Windows 8.1 Update 1 is like Windows 8 SE (Second Edition) SP1 where Update 1 acts like a Service Pack in previous version of Windows.

Now the upcoming Windows 8.1 Update 2 is not much different then calling it Windows 8 Second Edition SP2 if you want to go old school in the way of calling Windows 8 upgrades and updates.

:p

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2670QM
    Memory
    Samsung 8GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GT 555M
    Hard Drives
    Intel 525 120GB | HGST Travelstar 1TB
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet | Microsoft Sculpt Comfort
    Internet Speed
    25 Mbps | 600 Kbps
    Other Info
    Seagate Backup Plus 1TB
I guess we should all go out and buy a Windows Phone, a Surface, Office 365, other subscriptions, use Hotmail, use Bing, send personal info and settings to MS, and also send our browsing history to Microsoft

Like I say all along > To each their own, but I highly suggest you and others to use most of these if you want to simplify your computing life. Personally I found a Lumia 1520 phablet to suffice, although it would be nice to have the new Surface 3. I have native Office Pro 2013. The subscription model doesn’t fit my needs, although it may for some. Use the integrated WinKey/Q Bing (Everywhere) all the time. MS never asks or collects personal information unless I allow it, however I do allow them via OneDrive to store my personal settings, IE favorites, browsing history, payment method, and Store apps I’ve purchased and/or downloaded. Very convenient if I ever have to reinstall or when I upgrade to the next Windows edition it’s all there for me. I allow them to collect my experience of use via the…having a “senior” moment….Don’t recall the full name of the…Costumer User Experience??….hold on…WinKey/Q…ah, yes, there it is > I was on the right track > Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP). Been participating for years. It’s kind of like voting on what’s going to be in the next edition. I wasn’t using the Start Menu by the time I got to using 7. Less and less users were, so they left it out for a better way IMO.

I must add here that someone claimed that MS continues to track even though one "disconnects". Haven't had time to look into that yet.

During this time using this transformation OS I continue use the Desktop app/portal most generally for Office and IE. I find the subversive Modern/Metro IE difficult to use without touch, which is what it's designed for. Purchasing a touch screen for this task will greatly increase my surfing with a browser because using keyboard navigating in browsers absolutely sucks and always has. I dislike the mouse and use it the least I can. Until Office is written in the Modern/Metro Windows Runtime (WinRT) I'll need to use the Desktop app/portal. Until all programs are written in the Modern/Metro WinRT language, we all will have to use the Desktop app/portal.

Therefore being in CEIP, every time I’m finished with the Desktop app, I close it out with WinKey/Period/Down arrow. That’s my vote for the next edition.

Let me open this section up by stating that you seem to know more about OS tech than I do or probably ever will. I am merely a student with more time recently to learn.

Also, the desktop, a.k.a. explorer.exe is fundamentally connected (in Windows 8) to the metro UI and WinRT via windows kernel integration, so there can be no disconnection without a rewrite of Windows NT.

Desktop app, for it’s just that > An app > A portal of the UI to run legacy apps

Need to add this: If you think it is just a portal of the UI to run legacy apps,
as described previously, see what happens to your running WinRT metro apps,
if you terminate (end task) Windows Explorer in the Task Manager. (close / suspend the desktop)

Ok?

Sure thing, mdmd, but I find it odd you would argue this point, for about a year ago you mentioned this fact in one of your posts. I performed an advanced search to find that post to no avail. Anywho, you did refer to it as a portal. It got me thinking about how Ms was going about doing this since the legacy desktop is now treated as an app in that it can be closed out even with legacy applications open on it, however, in reality it is just hidden. Desktop Windows Manager is still open in task manager.

I terminated (end task) Windows Explorer in the Task Manager as you suggested. This is the result:

Screenshot (3).png

Of course some screens in the UI will no longer open. No Start Screen > no desktop > a blank screen > Or is it? The green is the color that I picked for my theme. It seems this may be the new Modern/Metro desktop. Not sure, but it is an existing screen, otherwise it would be black. I was able to restart/shut down via Ctrl/Alt/Delete to get that screen. The windows key does not bring up the Start Screen. Oddly though, if I Alt/Tab I do see the switcher window with either type of app's weird-looking icon I had open, but the apps will not appear, but assuming they are still open. I wasn't able to screenshot those for that function did not work.

Here's the desktop being closed out. Look familiar?

Screenshot (57).png

The way I understand it none of this exists in the Windows NT Kernel. All this exists in the Win32 System (folder) of the top layer of the OS which is the User Layer. The User Layer requests the Kernel to perform tasks, for it's managing the hardware, drivers, and software within itself. I’m assuming that both the new and the old desktops exist in System Win32 folder, but that the new desktop takes precedence. That’s why the old desktop never really closes out. Yes?

On the other hand, I could be totally wrong. Just learning.

Architecture of Windows NT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Windows Runtime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Metro (design language) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

While I’m at it here, I installed the Store (WinRT) OneNote app. Quite interesting. Look at the editing tools they designed.

OneNote Editing Snip.PNG

OneNote Editing Snip 2.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
yes, it is ok.
Granted, the option is slightly buried to create and login with only a local account.
People really should learn how to read and comprehend everything on a computer screen.

Part of using a PC and new tech is to talk to those who actually know.

When someones asks, "What does this error mean." and the error clearly states, access denied
do they really need me to explain it?
you might be surprised that the answer is yes, in detail.

I am all in favor of a PC Drivers license, if you do not have one, you can't even buy a PC.
Much less look at one.

If people wish to remain ignorant of the simplest tasks, they should not complain about their lot in life.
You forgot something (in lieu of PC "Driver's license) A lot of people make a living of those who are ignorant of or can't or will not bather to learn about OS they are using. If you do not know how to repair and maintain a car, you pay mechanic to do it for you. If you can't drive you pay for school. Same goes for computers, there's a lot of people that will be more than happy to fix something you can't for a pay. I make some pocket money occasionally fixing a mess people do with their computers.Knowledge has to be worth something. You either pay for it or save if you have it.
Sorry this is where I disagree. People don't want to learn because they are too lazy to learn it. Its inexcusable. Yeah I get it pays the bills and all but honestly I wish my time in dealing with computers was spent doing something else instead of tech support because people are too lazy to learn the OS. You can't compare this to cars because there is actual real labor that can be involved with this at times. Where as reinstalling an OS or installing a program is not real labor.

I would not call them lazy in the lest bit. They use their computers to get work done and likely they don't have the time or the need to learn very much about their OS. Tech support is supposed to be there to provide that kind of service. And if you don't like providing that kind of support then don't. Not everyone needs to learn how to re-install an OS to get the work done that they need to,

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom Built: Atomic City Computer
    CPU
    AMD A4-4000 3.0/3.2Ghz
    Motherboard
    MSI FM2-A55M-E33
    Memory
    8BG of Corsair DDR3 RAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    On Board
    Sound Card
    On Boardi
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Viewsonic 27" VA2703
    Screen Resolution
    1920 X 1080
    Hard Drives
    Seagate 500GB, Crucial 120Gb SSD
    Case
    Thermaltake
    Cooling
    N/A
    Keyboard
    Corsair Raptor K40
    Mouse
    Amazon Generic Optical
    Internet Speed
    56Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome and Opera
    Antivirus
    Micro Soft Defender
    Other Info
    Getting this on May 1st:
    AMD A8-6600K
@ HippsieGypsie ok. Hello.

Update 812 will bring improvements and added features perhaps, yes!
Well, some folks are still happy with XP and certainly 7.

Going back some time, I was interested in defending the point of closing / suspending the desktop app because you can. Unfortunately, it suspends all metro apps as well. So now, I was just trying to identify the fact that one cannot separate the desktop from the metro. They are connected in Windows 8 by the file system and other complicated UI code.

So I will start with this.

Hey, all that stuff is great! I live alone in a cave, use 1 PC, and have no smartphone.
I am out of the workforce, have a chip on my shoulder about PC support,
as I find repetition to be torture. My days of examining code or flowcharts are over.
I think I read somewhere that CPU technology is not of this world!

These things offered by Microsoft, I assume, will be awesome for those that appreciate them.
Still, it seems dubious, that pressing the click on the Surface pen sends whatever to the Cloud!
Ok, great if it works, and I guess it should work just fine.

I don't have a computing life. I turn on 811 from sleep and stream video.
That's about it!

The problem with wikipedia is that it is just the Cliff Notes version.
If one wants to know about technology, they should go to a bookstore or library.

I agree, it is (the desktop) a portal, and an app, but it is more than that.
One should recognize that the "apps" listed in the apps screen, are just shortcuts to anything.

As for WinRT, it needs a file system.
Currently, WinRT uses NTFS by default.

Therefore, closing / suspending the desktop also suspends all metro apps because they need explorer.exe to function. That's why Windows Explorer is not just a portal only for legacy apps.

Metro Apps need a file system.

It's complicated. The shell could be replaced, but then there would be no explorer.exe, no WinRT, no sync, no Microsoft Account. Even if the shell was replaced, NTFS would still be used by an alternate shell. This is how kernel integration becomes a part of whatever UI.
Explorer uses NTFS by default and so does the Microsoft Store.

r5.jpg

Update 812 will be awesome for many.
So are all the new things, assuming one can afford them.
Apologize if this seems vague.

I can see someone paging down to the last sentence only.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Server 2012 / 8.0
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel i7 QuadCore 3770k
    Motherboard
    Asrock Extreme 4
    Memory
    16GB Crucial Ballistix
    Graphics Card(s)
    intel embedded gpu
    Sound Card
    Sound Blaster Z
    Monitor(s) Displays
    AOC / Westinghouse
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Plextor pcie msata
    PSU
    Rosewill Silent Night 500W Fanless / PicoPSU
    Case
    open bench - no case enclosure
    Cooling
    Silverstone HEO2 Passive Silent
    Keyboard
    logitech washable K310
    Mouse
    logitech wired
    Browser
    ie / maxthon
    Other Info
    Totally silent. No fans at all.
I am hoping microsoft makes it a free upgrade

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
@ robinb9, as far as I know update 2 will be free to those running 8.1 update 1. If your referring to Windows 9, not likely. There is talk of a free version but it looks to be a very limited functionality version and maybe even Add supported. Something like Windows 7 Starter and likely only free to OEM for installation on low cost devices. It won't be free to just anybody.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
@ robinb9, as far as I know update 2 will be free to those running 8.1 update 1. If your referring to Windows 9, not likely. There is talk of a free version but it looks to be a very limited functionality version and maybe even Add supported. Something like Windows 7 Starter and likely only free to OEM for installation on low cost devices. It won't be free to just anybody.
You are probably referring to possible Bing version. Now when that greedy Ballmer is gone (and he has more M$ shares than Gates) there is a talk about Win 9 being free upgrade to W8 at least at first.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
You are probably referring to possible Bing version. Now when that greedy Ballmer is gone (and he has more M$ shares than Gates) there is a talk about Win 9 being free upgrade to W8 at least at first.

There were and are so many rumors, its hard to keep track. If it is offered free to those running 8, hopefully you won't have to be running 8.1 update 2 to get it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard