Windows 8.1: Most Metro Apps crash immediately at launch

I did swap in my SSD from a Ivy Bridge ASUS board to a Broadwell ASUS board without reformatting ( I stuck it in and it just worked.)

I seriously doubt you are using a CPU/chipset that hasn't been released yet. You probably mean Haswell.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
I did swap in my SSD from a Ivy Bridge ASUS board to a Broadwell ASUS board without reformatting ( I stuck it in and it just worked.)

I seriously doubt you are using a CPU/chipset that hasn't been released yet. You probably mean Haswell.

Hmm, Mystere, I found your last two comments completely unhelpful, full of buzz words, condescending, and arrogant. Plus you are not reading all the posts, just cherry picking what you can make fun of.
Yes, I am overclocking but if you had read my posts, you would know that I NO LONGER HAVE ANY ISSUES. Everything is working fine now. As I was a system support troubleshooter for HP for 25 years, I usually can figure out if its hardware or software, and usually find a solution. I also have been building my own computers since 1992, so I know my way around the BIOS and drivers, and none of these 3 things you mentioned has anything to do with the solutions so your post was completely useless. I did indeed solve three issues I had with Win8.1 Pro GA, one by myself, one with the help of the new posters here (thank you Steve and Rockhound), and the third by a Google search once I saw in a post of reddit of both the problem and the solution. The last was a unchecked box in the display section that was added in Win8.1 GA.

Please be a little less arrogant, especially with newcomers to the site. They JUST may be smarter than you. Oh yeah, I changed my post to Haswell. Cheap shot.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit GA
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Cooler Master Storm Headphones
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 840 Pro 250GB SSD plus 2 3 TB drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Corsair White Graphite Series 600T
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Hi guys, I've followed your discussion since yesterday. I've tried a lot of things from different forums and no one have worked.
This morning I have tried to launch the games that I have on my computer and no one started up.
I have two gpu on my notebook, the Intel HD graphics for the Intel APU and a Nvidia GeForce 630 GPU for high quality programs. I've decided to check for nvidia driver update and there's one. I've installed it, restart the computer and all the crashing apps rework now.
It seems that there's something wrong with the direct3D files of the Windows 8.1 Update, because this one have updated me the Intel one but not the nvidia one.
I don't know if that can help you but if it's, I'm glad to have helped you.

And sorry for my bad english, I'm trying do my best.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
Microsoft try hard to be like Apple but are failing at the most basic level, i.e., providing a stable OS for the apps one can depend on.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....... Oh my... I can't stop laughing...

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to the iOS 7 rollout.

Or maybe you were being sarcastic?

In any event, I gave 3 possible places to look. Fine, the hard disk isn't at fault, but you should seriously consider checking the BIOS and your drivers.

If you understand how software works, you would understand that software doesn't just magically work on one system but not another. If the fault were in the OS, then it would fail for everyone (well, there are some exceptions to that, dealing with specific processor and motherboard architectures). The one thing that's different between computers is drivers, and the BIOS. So whenever a problem like this comes up, and it only affects a small number of people, it's almost always related to a driver and/or bios issue. Especially given the fact that it was a clean install.

Another thought.. are either you or john overclocking? I notice both of you have systems that are designed for overclocking... Please don't say "Yes, i'm overclocking but it worked fine before..." because a new version of an OS will use the CPU and memory differently, and what may have worked before might not. If you are overclocking, try going back to standard speed and see if that solves the problem. Overclocking also refers to running Memory or GPU at higher rates as well, not just the CPU.

What problems with ios7? Their stock apps not working? :) This is embarrassing for ms. The only problem there was with ios 7 is when millions hit download at the same time it rolled out(Same thing happened with 8.1). I waited a few hours for ios 7, installed with no problems or waiting. It runs smoothly on my now old ipad 2. Most of the developers patched their apps to work with 7 before it was released. End of ios rant. :)

BTW my notebook is not overclocked, it came with windows 8, so the drivers should be alright and they were for all apps, as they worked. I updated what I could, for the sake of that being the error, but it is not. It's a licencing signing issue in the store app, I am sure of it, as when I updated to 8.1. it wanted to update those apps, and it did, so the problems started then.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
Hi guys, I've followed your discussion since yesterday. I've tried a lot of things from different forums and no one have worked.
This morning I have tried to launch the games that I have on my computer and no one started up.
I have two gpu on my notebook, the Intel HD graphics for the Intel APU and a Nvidia GeForce 630 GPU for high quality programs. I've decided to check for nvidia driver update and there's one. I've installed it, restart the computer and all the crashing apps rework now.
It seems that there's something wrong with the direct3D files of the Windows 8.1 Update, because this one have updated me the Intel one but not the nvidia one.

What games? We are talking about metro apps here. Metro games not working, or games in general?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
What games? We are talking about metro apps here. Metro games not working, or games in general?
Both, when I launch destop games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, a windows say that the game can't call Direct3D. Apparently the Metro app crash was caused by some missing or corrupt direct3D files with the Windows 8.1 update because the problem was disappeared with the nvidia driver update.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro X64
Both, when I launch destop games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, a windows say that the game can't call Direct3D. Apparently the Metro app crash was caused by some missing or corrupt direct3D files with the Windows 8.1 update because the problem was disappeared with the nvidia driver update.

It didn't say anything about d3d to me, so I guess it is your isolated problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop

Hi Leo, Welcome to the Windows 8 forum. Your English is fine! Check out the tutorials on this site when you can, as they has a lot of useful information.

There is a post here about the latest NVidia driver update.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-...dia-geforce-graphics-drivers-windows-8-a.html

Subscribe to this page by posting thank you or something.

It sounds like the NVidia driver for your discrete graphics card was the cause of your gaming issue, not the particular bug that some of us are/were seeing. I am glad you figure out the solution!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Microsoft try hard to be like Apple but are failing at the most basic level, i.e., providing a stable OS for the apps one can depend on.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL....... Oh my... I can't stop laughing...

Apparently you haven't been paying attention to the iOS 7 rollout.

Or maybe you were being sarcastic?

In any event, I gave 3 possible places to look. Fine, the hard disk isn't at fault, but you should seriously consider checking the BIOS and your drivers.

If you understand how software works, you would understand that software doesn't just magically work on one system but not another. If the fault were in the OS, then it would fail for everyone (well, there are some exceptions to that, dealing with specific processor and motherboard architectures). The one thing that's different between computers is drivers, and the BIOS. So whenever a problem like this comes up, and it only affects a small number of people, it's almost always related to a driver and/or bios issue. Especially given the fact that it was a clean install.

Another thought.. are either you or john overclocking? I notice both of you have systems that are designed for overclocking... Please don't say "Yes, i'm overclocking but it worked fine before..." because a new version of an OS will use the CPU and memory differently, and what may have worked before might not. If you are overclocking, try going back to standard speed and see if that solves the problem. Overclocking also refers to running Memory or GPU at higher rates as well, not just the CPU.

I'm glad the 8.1 update has worked fine for your 10 computers and that you never encountered the metro app crashes nor the insomnia issues some have reported in this forum. To answer your questions, I always aim to use the latest BIOS and driver versions for my hardware, either from my mainboard's manufacturer site (Asrock) or from the chipset provider. Since you appear to know what you are talking about, I would be glad to hear more concrete tips on how to track down the issue, be it driver or BIOS related.

No I am not overclocking.

The iOS7 roll-out on the 4 devices we have went without any trouble, and certainly nothing in comparison to the sleep and app issues we are having now. I can remember Apple provided a bug fix shortly after the initial release.

What I wonder is whether the sleep and metro app issues are related? And is it really only the few people who are posting on this forum? Or have most users not even noticed yet or would just not post in a forum about that?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
I solved the problem thanks to the cmd "sfc / scannow" command after you have to uninstall and reinstall the apps that persists metro has bugger but then everything works.

I am French I translated my words thanks to google.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    windows 8.1
    CPU
    quad core
    Memory
    16 go
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Browser
    mozilla
    Antivirus
    eset nod32
@bossdu: Merci, I will try as you suggest: First sfc /scannow, then uninstall and reinstall faulty apps.
I have only one app (Bing cooking) that still has issues, i.e. crashed repeatedly, but at the moment it's even impossible to reinstall it from App store because it reports an error when I try to install the app.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-built silent Mini-ITX workhorse
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3770, 4x 3.40GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77E-ITX
    Memory
    2x8GB GeIL Black Dragon PC3-12800U
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000 (integrated)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Eizo
    Hard Drives
    Intel SSD 530 240GB, Intel SSD 520 120GB, WD 1TB
    Mouse
    Lenovo Trackpoint Mouse
    Browser
    Firefox, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Upgraded to 8.1 yesterday and I'm having the same issue. However I do have 1 question. A lot of you are saying you uninstalled the apps and reinstalled them -- how? I'd love to give that a shot but my Windows App Store crashes as well... Is there any other way to install the apps?
Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
I have been having the same issues since upgrading to Windows 8.1 on Sunday night. Everything in the desktop world works normally but the entire metro world (store, apps, even PC settings) doesn't work. I was able to get my Windows Store app to start working by using the following command in the Command Prompt (Admin):

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

Once I had the store back and running I was going to try to uninstall and reinstall apps. However, when I tried this, I got an error from the Windows Store of:
Error code 0x8007002

This was for anything I was trying to install.

Next, I was going to try and set-up a new user to see if I would have the same issues. However, I was not able to do this in PC settings as it was not working and Control Panel refers to PC settings to do this. However, I did find the command prompt to do this:
net UserName /add

Once I did this, it showed up in control panel as a User Account I manipulated. I did not assign it administrative rights yet.

I logged off my administrator account and logged into this new account that is a local account only at this point and, what do you know, my Metro apps are working, including PC Settings. This is as far as I have currently gotten but I would love to know why this would be the case. I can go ahead and try to transfer admin rights, and set-up everything that I have now under the new user account but I would love to avoid that if possible since it is like having to setup the computer again.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7640G
    Browser
    Firefix, Explorer
    Antivirus
    McAfee
I have been having the same issues since upgrading to Windows 8.1 on Sunday night. Everything in the desktop world works normally but the entire metro world (store, apps, even PC settings) doesn't work. I was able to get my Windows Store app to start working by using the following command in the Command Prompt (Admin):

powershell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $Env:SystemRoot\WinStore\AppxManifest.xml

Did the prompt and it fixed a lot of issues. I can now launch the store, uninstall and reinstall any broken Metro apps. I'd say 90% work fine now. The only problem I'm seeing is the live tiles refresh more infrequently than on 8 and some tiles (like Weather) get stuck and don't refresh at all.
Also, I have some apps that launch but give me a "permissions" error and so I can't use them.
My machine is on a domain so there isn't really a lot I can do in terms of profiles, etc., but this is crazy tho.
My last 3 OS upgrades have been riddled with problems like I've never seen before. iOS 7 last month brought a whole slew of bugs, Windows 8.1 yesterday has problems galore, and Mavericks on my Mac just sucks...

My Computer

System One

• OS
Hello,

I do not like people who criticize Windows , I just think you do not understand the difference between a PC and a Mac .

in itself, they are the same architecture a motherboard, a processor, graphics card, ... .

and even I would say it is the same component on mac :

graphic card = nvidia

intel processor =

the only thing that was ( I 'm not ) it's the motherboard.

Unlike mac and chose the components that is compatible perfectly to the nearest millimeter with their OS , but because of that, it is more expensive . I am not criticizing these two views, different .

But in terms of speed , now with a PC and MAC of the same configuration , we have exact rapidity or almost any millisecond.

This means that Windows gets to equalize MAC configuration with several billion more with his genius and he makes the simple hearts are not abandoned .

I say bravo to Windows are geniuses.

translated from French to English by google

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    windows 8.1
    CPU
    quad core
    Memory
    16 go
    Graphics Card(s)
    nvidia
    Browser
    mozilla
    Antivirus
    eset nod32
Welcome boss, matches, and nyc to the Windows 8 forums! Let me see if I can summarize:
1. Metro/Start Menu apps crash to the desktop. The fix is to uninstall/ reinstall them (matches, the uninstall is at the BOTTOM of the screen- install comes from the Windows store)
2. The apps crash with an error or install with an error. That MAY have something to do with Admin rights. Thanks NYC, that is new to the conversation and will probably be the ultimate cure.
3. Slow refreshes- that is a new one, no idea.
4. Permissions error- that sounds like another Admin permissions bug.
5. PCs are better than Macs due to the combined brainpower of the millions of users.

So, the main issue then is the errors due to admin permissions. NYC, could you screen capture your workaround? You can put the jpegs onto these posts by using the Insert Image icon above.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard
    ASUS Z87-PRO
    Memory
    16 GB of Corsair 1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    GTX 780
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 27 inch U2711 IPS
    Screen Resolution
    2560 by 1440
    Hard Drives
    PSU
    Corsair-750
    Case
    Cooling
    Corsair H00i Water
    Keyboard
    Corsair K90
    Mouse
    Logitech G9 Laser
    Internet Speed
    6.3 MBps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    MS
Hi JohnPombio,

My "workaround" was to create a new user account from the command prompt with
net UserName /add

because nothing in Metro (including PC Settings) was working under my original user account (which is the administrative account). When I logged out of my original account into the new account (which is just a local account at this point) the Metro apps seemed to be working and I was able to get into PC settings while in the new account. This is where I have currently stopped.

What screenshots do you think would be helpful to the solution?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire V3
    CPU
    AMD A8
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 7640G
    Browser
    Firefix, Explorer
    Antivirus
    McAfee
Welcome boss, matches, and nyc to the Windows 8 forums! Let me see if I can summarize:
1. Metro/Start Menu apps crash to the desktop. The fix is to uninstall/ reinstall them (matches, the uninstall is at the BOTTOM of the screen- install comes from the Windows store)
2. The apps crash with an error or install with an error. That MAY have something to do with Admin rights. Thanks NYC, that is new to the conversation and will probably be the ultimate cure.
3. Slow refreshes- that is a new one, no idea.
4. Permissions error- that sounds like another Admin permissions bug.
5. PCs are better than Macs due to the combined brainpower of the millions of users.

So, the main issue then is the errors due to admin permissions. NYC, could you screen capture your workaround? You can put the jpegs onto these posts by using the Insert Image icon above.

Thanks for the tips - much appreciated!
I know how to uninstall/reinstall (I've been running 8 for quite some time). My problem was I didn't know how to reinstall b/c the Windows Store crashed too, so I had to way of getting to the apps. However, nyc's Command method to fix the store worked and I was able to do the uninstall and reinstall.

The slow refreshes only happen on the Sports tile. Actually the Sports tile is now frozen. It opens fine, updates fine, runs fine - but the Live Tile image/text hasn't change since my post earlier today.

I'm on a domain but my account has local admin rights and none of these permissions cropped up in 8, only 8.1. In addition, it now seems that only 1 app is having permission issues but I feel that may be more of an app problem rather than an actual Windows permissions problem.

PCs ARE better than Macs - and this is coming from someone who has a rather beastly Mac as well. But I prefer to use my Windows machine 9/10 times.

I will try to see if maybe I just need to reinstall the Sports app again... And as for the app w/ the permission issues, I emailed their support to see if they know anything about it since it never happened on 8.

Thanks!

My Computer

System One

• OS
I solved the problem thanks to the cmd "sfc / scannow" command after you have to uninstall and reinstall the apps that persists metro has bugger but then everything works.

I am French I translated my words thanks to google.

I thought I would try this but I'm not sure I understand how. I press the windows key and R and then I typed in cmd which takes me to the dos prompt. I then typed sfc/scannow but it did nothing.

I tried sfc alone and it told me I need to be an administrator running a console session. I am an administrator but I'm not sure what it means that I have to be running a console session.

Any help would be appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
Hi JohnPombio,

My "workaround" was to create a new user account from the command prompt with
net UserName /add

because nothing in Metro (including PC Settings) was working under my original user account (which is the administrative account). When I logged out of my original account into the new account (which is just a local account at this point) the Metro apps seemed to be working and I was able to get into PC settings while in the new account. This is where I have currently stopped.

What screenshots do you think would be helpful to the solution?

sooo, Metro/Start Menu screen was not working at all, including the charms bar? That is just too weird and I haven't a clue why that would happen! Maybe, no...how about? no, don't think so... Nope, my mind is a blank.

Now there are a lot of commenters about Win8 who would love to have Metro go away, but still.

evt, welcome!

I am sure there is a tutorial on how to run a command prompt as administrator but I like showing off my Win8 shortcuts folder. Open this zip file and copy the folder somewhere. Right click on the command Prompt shortcut and run as administrator.

Attachments

• Win 8 x64 shortcuts.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 351

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-4770K Haswell
    Motherboard