Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want

With Windows 8.1 Microsoft finally recognizes that a big portion of the world actively dislikes the new "Modern" interface and Start screen, and lets people downplay it, bypass it, or make it work the way they like. It doesn't solve the basic problem of Windows 8 having dueling interfaces -- one for touch and tablets, and another for the desktop and mouse and keyboard -- but it gives desktop fans enough options to make the operating system much better to use.
Big changes include the ability to go directly to the desktop when you sign in, and a whole host of Start screen customizations that make it more useful for those who primarily use the desktop. There's also now a not-particularly useful Start button that doesn't come close to having the features offered by the old school Start button you've come to love in earlier Windows versions.
If you're like me, what you care about most about is the go-to-desktop option, and changes that make the Start screen easier to use. You would expect that you'd get to those changes from the Start screen somewhere...but if you expected that, you'd be wrong. Instead, head to the desktop, right-click the taskbar and select Properties to get to the Taskbar and Navigation properties screen. There's a new tab here called Navigation. This is essentially command central for the new features for customizing the Start screen and booting to the desktop. It's got two sections: Core navigation and Start screen.
The bottom line
Windows 8.1 is far more configurable than Windows 8, and those who primarily use the desktop will be especially pleased to be able to go directly to it when they sign in. Also useful are the new features for customizing the Start screen, particularly for using it as an app launcher. This new version of Windows 8 isn't perfect, but this newfound power to tweak and customize makes it a far better operating system than the one that shipped.
Note: I'll have a more in-depth look at Windows 8.1 on Computerworld in several days.
Windows 8.1 first look: Finally, Windows the way you want it | Computerworld Blogs

Win 8 (and 8.1) were designed solely with touch screens, tablets, and phones in mind, and totally blew off the desktop user. The changes are vast and mostly unnecessary.

Windows 8 was not solely designed to work with just phones and tablets; it was designed to work across all devices. Not really sure where folks get this information from, albeit it is not true.

But, then all it takes is just one someone saying an untruth, thus making it true. . .:p

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
I wonder if it'll be back in RTM.

:think:

The Win7 File Recovery won't be back because it's considered obsolete (I mean deprecated) and they were planning to remove it after 8.0. :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
Overhere in Belgium the minority is Always right....

So i am in favor for Win 8 (too lazy to install 8.1 right now).

So i guess i am right. Hahaha

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
It is normal human behavior to resist or dislike change... years from now we'll be using Windows12 and complaining that it's nothing like our beloved Windows11. :eek:

I dont think so, changes must be when we need it, not when there is nothing else to do, so just lets make mind-raping changes. We always need to have a stable and solid rock to stand on - now we are forced to stand on windows 7, this mobile/desktop mix isnt that rock. But of course, changes will always be here, because no one is going to stop it. Well, at least there is no easy way to tell them, that we dont need changes, it would require, again, world war 3.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
The way I want Win 8

I had my initial say here.http://www.eightforums.com/general-...l-opinions-windows-8-1-preview-release-4.html

I then spotted this thread and decided to post an image I created and posted one year ago of my own idea of what I wanted in the next iteration of 8. Obviously metro now= live-tiles .
the start screen and apps run in windows on the desktop in resizeable windows and more importantly in my case can be located on either of my 1920x1200 screens. I wonder if desktop users find it it a reasonable suggestion.
metrowindow2.png
At least we can now boot direct to the desktop but I do not like the joke start button
besb

My Computer

System One

• OS
    xp , 7Pro, 8RP, Android phone, Tablet
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom
    CPU
    q6600@3Ghz, amd 965 etc etc
    Motherboard
    gigabyte
    Memory
    8gb per
    Graphics Card(s)
    gts450 ,560gt etc
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3xsamsung 24in
    Screen Resolution
    3, 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    To many! spread across 4 desktops,3 laptops 1 netbook
    ssd, sata 3's ide etc
    PSU
    Hyper Modular 600W
    Case
    lian li
    Cooling
    artic
    Internet Speed
    60Mb
    Other Info
    Basically the house has 4 desktops 3 in the study + the wifes,
    3 laptops 1 netbook 2 android tablets 2 android smart phones
    and ipad and iphone
OK, I still have the same questions. I love 7. I need to be able to boot up directly to the desktop I currently have. I need a start button that will give me all the abilities my current one has. I want to be able to go to current programs, change them, and delete them. I need to be able to go to computers to see what is on the disk and to manipulate the programs. I don't see that in 8.1. Why don't they listen to the users that need the functions of 7, not the functions of the social media groupies.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7
    Dell XPS 7100
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    Dell 0NNWWY0
    Memory
    12288mb DDR3-SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series
OK, I still have the same questions. I love 7. I need to be able to boot up directly to the desktop I currently have. I need a start button that will give me all the abilities my current one has. I want to be able to go to current programs, change them, and delete them. I need to be able to go to computers to see what is on the disk and to manipulate the programs. I don't see that in 8.1. Why don't they listen to the users that need the functions of 7, not the functions of the social media groupies.

You can use Classic Shell to achieve the things you desire....

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win8.1 Pro, Desktop Mode
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Me
    CPU
    AMD FX-8150
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H
    Memory
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 (9-9-9-28)
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon HD 6570
    Sound Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium
    Monitor(s) Displays
    PX2710MW
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080@60Hz
    Hard Drives
    1x1TB Western Digital WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 ATA Device Caviar Black -

4 x 2TB Seagate ST32000542A -
    1 x 4TB Seagate External
    Case
    Antec
    Cooling
    Noctua NH-D14
    Keyboard
    Logitech Illuminated Keyboard K740
    Internet Speed
    60meg cable
    Browser
    Cyberfox
    Antivirus
    AVG Security Suite

Why not stay with 7 if all you want 8 to be is 7?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8

All the functions you speak of are working for me here; boot straight to desktop: Task Bar properties>navigation tab.

My Computers

System One System Two

• OS
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavillion
  • PC2
    Tablet - Windows 10 Home
I don't want to have to use a third party program. I am planning to stay with 7, until Microsoft decides to listen to the millions of users. Especially users that aren't social media groupies but rather want a stable system that functions in the work place, like 7. Perhaps it will take 8.2, 8.3, etc, eventually they will come around, and give us our desk top and start button back. But, why is it always like pulling teeth!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7
    Dell XPS 7100
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    Dell 0NNWWY0
    Memory
    12288mb DDR3-SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
I don't want to have to use a third party program. I am planning to stay with 7, until Microsoft decides to listen to the millions of users. Especially users that aren't social media groupies but rather want a stable system that functions in the work place, like 7. Perhaps it will take 8.2, 8.3, etc, eventually they will come around, and give us our desk top and start button back. But, why is it always like pulling teeth!

That's one of the things I dislike about Win 8/8.1. Is it really that difficult to add the option to switch to a desktop with Win 7 functionality and appearance for those that prefer that look? If they did that one little thing I would switch to Win 8, and I assume many others would do the same. Why are they being buttheads and refusing to put it in Win 8 and 8.1?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 7 Pro x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Alienware M18xR2
    CPU
    i7 3820qm
    Motherboard
    Alienware / Dell
    Memory
    16gb Corsair ddr3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Dual GTX 675m
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 120gb SSD
    1tb storage drive
    Internet Speed
    Not nearly fast enough
Move the cursor to the left bottom of the screen(or the Start button), right click and from the menu you could perform most of the functions you mentioned.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4503-power-user-tasks-menu-open-windows-8-a.html

Untitled.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8.1
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer Aspire E1-571
    CPU
    i5-3230m
    Motherboard
    Acer Type-2
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD 4000
    Sound Card
    High Definiton Audio Device
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Generic
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    PSU
    Generic
    Keyboard
    QWERTY
    Mouse
    ELANTECH Touchpad
    Internet Speed
    12.68Mbps
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Terry, I fully agree. I will stay with 7, until they truly listen and don't true to "improve" with a patch quilt approach.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows7
    Dell XPS 7100
    CPU
    AMD
    Motherboard
    Dell 0NNWWY0
    Memory
    12288mb DDR3-SDRAM
    Graphics Card(s)
One more time people. It's not going to happen.

Do you know why it's not going to happen? Because Microsoft has "end of lifed" the desktop as we know it. It's going away. Windows 8 was the death knell. All future releases of windows will make the traditional desktop less and less relevant and less and less functional. Win32 apps will still be supported for a long time to come, but the desktop itself will not be.

Metro will become the desktop.

Now, before you get yourselves in a tizzy, that doesn't mean the Metro we have today will be the desktop. Metro will continue to evolve and add functionality. At some point in the future when Metro is able to do all the duties of the desktop, the traditional desktop will be shut off permanently. This is the direction that Windows is going, and nothing is going to stop that at this point. Microsoft has invested billions into this already, and will invest billions more.

Either you get on board, or you're just going to be frustrated for all eternity.

The reason for this? Because Metro apps can run on any platform. Win32 apps cannot. Metro apps can be ARM based, or x86 based, or x64 based, or Itanium based, or any other processor and memory architecture they want. It can run on phones, or tablets, or desktops, or giant NOC systems with 100 foot screens. There are too many technical advantages for Microsoft in this. Servers are going ARM based, for instance... particularly in the blade market.

This is not just a case of pretty pictures and arbitrary UI choices. There are thousands of technical reasons for these changes and more importantly, there's lots of MONEY behind these changes. These changes will make Microsoft TRILLIONS of dollars over the next 25 years. Staying on Win32 on x86 will not, and will eventually put them out to pasture. They are NOT going back.

If you actually want to be an active part of the future of Windows, complaining about change will not get you there. I would suggest that you instead concentrate on ways to make Metro work for you, and suggestions on how to improve the Metro side of things to meet your needs. That's far more constructive than repeatedly complaining about something that is 100% guaranteed to never happen.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    CPU
    Intel i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD4 TH
    Memory
    16GB DDR3 1600
    Graphics Card(s)
    nVidia GTX 650
    Sound Card
    Onboard Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Auria 27" IPS + 2x Samsung 23"
    Screen Resolution
    2560x1440 + 2x 2048x1152
    Hard Drives
    Corsair m4 256GB, 2 WD 2TB drives
    Case
    Antec SOLO II
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
    Mouse
    Logitech MX
At the rate Window 8 is being adopted it will be an eternity before that happens. That is if M$ still is around.

Operating system market share

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

Do you know why it's not going to happen? Because Microsoft has "end of lifed" the desktop as we know it. It's going away. Windows 8 was the death knell. All future releases of windows will make the traditional desktop less and less relevant and less and less functional. Win32 apps will still be supported for a long time to come, but the desktop itself will not be.

Now, before you get yourselves in a tizzy, that doesn't mean the Metro we have today will be the desktop. Metro will continue to evolve and add functionality. At some point in the future when Metro is able to do all the duties of the desktop, the traditional desktop will be shut off permanently. This is the direction that Windows is going, and nothing is going to stop that at this point. Microsoft has invested billions into this already, and will invest billions more.

Either you get on board, or you're just going to be frustrated for all eternity.

The reason for this? Because Metro apps can run on any platform. Win32 apps cannot. Metro apps can be ARM based, or x86 based, or x64 based, or Itanium based, or any other processor and memory architecture they want. It can run on phones, or tablets, or desktops, or giant NOC systems with 100 foot screens. There are too many technical advantages for Microsoft in this. Servers are going ARM based, for instance... particularly in the blade market.

This is not just a case of pretty pictures and arbitrary UI choices. There are thousands of technical reasons for these changes and more importantly, there's lots of MONEY behind these changes. These changes will make Microsoft TRILLIONS of dollars over the next 25 years. Staying on Win32 on x86 will not, and will eventually put them out to pasture. They are NOT going back.

If you actually want to be an active part of the future of Windows, complaining about change will not get you there. I would suggest that you instead concentrate on ways to make Metro work for you, and suggestions on how to improve the Metro side of things to meet your needs. That's far more constructive than repeatedly complaining about something that is 100% guaranteed to never happen.
. . .can I get an Amen. . .:thumbsup:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender

Hm... while I'm not disputing your prediction, I'm a bit scared. The desktop has been around long enough for there to be millions of apps specifically written for it. Don't get me wrong, I'm contributing to metro as we speak. Working like a dog to get an app ready for publication.

Having said that, metro sure is a lot closer to lcars than the desktop. My childhood dream is becoming reality.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8
I know this is Microsoft's dream, but we are not going to give up without a fight. My prediction is their dream will more then likely turn into a nightmare.

Not all of us are Quislings.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3930K
    Motherboard