Windows 7 - Windows 8 dual boot problem - 'W8 preinstalled

Have you done a Bios update lately? It might have changed some of your options.

On my system, you enable or disable the CSM, it is not an OS verson or configuration such as Legacy (MBR) or UEFI. So there are technically 2 forms of UEFI. One for Windows 8 only, to be used to allow Secure Boot, and one for the others, such as Windows 7. Windows 8 will still boot with the other setting, but will not use Secure Boot. That is what the CSM is supposed to control, but different OEMs are setting up their Bioses with varying options, so it is hard to say what settings are actually best for a specific condition on your system.

You need one that allows for the Windows 7 UEFI boot to be available. Keep in mind, you must boot with the DVD in the drive, or it will not show up. Do you have any type of Windows 8 boot media you could check for a UEFI option with it. I am not certain that the Secure boot option is involved in some cases.

Could you give us your specific model of the Samsung NP550 so we can check.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77 -v Pro, Z87-Expert
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified (2)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
Have you done a Bios update lately? It might have changed some of your options.

On my system, you enable or disable the CSM, it is not an OS verson or configuration such as Legacy (MBR) or UEFI. So there are technically 2 forms of UEFI. One for Windows 8 only, to be used to allow Secure Boot, and one for the others, such as Windows 7. Windows 8 will still boot with the other setting, but will not use Secure Boot. That is what the CSM is supposed to control, but different OEMs are setting up their Bioses with varying options, so it is hard to say what settings are actually best for a specific condition on your system.

You need one that allows for the Windows 7 UEFI boot to be available. Keep in mind, you must boot with the DVD in the drive, or it will not show up. Do you have any type of Windows 8 boot media you could check for a UEFI option with it. I am not certain that the Secure boot option is involved in some cases.

Could you give us your specific model of the Samsung NP550 so we can check.

Yes, around a month back, some notification came to update bios and I did it...I'm not sure if this update is my mistake..
They haven't given me any W8 disc so I have only W7 disc. I will check with my frnds if they have the W8 disc..

And the model is Samsung NP550P5C - S05IN

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 / Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
I will check your system to see if any settings might help.

You can download and burn a Windows 7 Install DVD with SP1. I don't have a link right now, but it is legal.

A recovery drive should show the UEFI option, but of course, it would be Windows 8 and perhaps not prove anything.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
I will check your system to see if any settings might help.

You can download and burn a Windows 7 Install DVD with SP1. I don't have a link right now, but it is legal.

A recovery drive should show the UEFI option, but of course, it would be Windows 8 and perhaps not prove anything.

sure..I'll wait for ur comments..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 / Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
They haven't given me any Windows 8 disc so I have only W7 disc. I will check with my frnds if they have the Windows 8 disc..

First note in the tutorial.

Note   Note
We always assume you have made your Factory Recovery Discs using the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Media Creator app the first day you had your new PC, and made a Startup Repair CD/DVD/USB.

Did you make the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disks?

You can order OEM Recovery disks from your OEM manufacturer's website.

You can use the Windows system image.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/8956-system-image-create-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/5132-recovery-drive-create-usb-flash-drive-windows-8-a.html

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2855-system-repair-disc-create-windows-8-a.html

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
well...not creating Factory Recovery Discs the first day I had my new PC would be my biggest sin for now..
I don't have much knowledge abt these things, but there was an option called "factory image export" and when I selected it in a specified location, it created some 20GB folder called "Samsung Recovery"..not sure if this is what you meant...and I am not sure if we can recover using this one...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 / Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Something else you might check. Put the Windows 7 DVD in the drive and reboot back into Windows 8.

Use the Charms bar, Settings, Change PC Settings, General, Advanced Startup.

You should then have a "Use a Device" option. On that option, the Windows 7 DVD should show up, as in the attachment.

Attachments

• Boot Options.jpg
    Boot Options.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 87

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
well...not creating Factory Recovery Discs the first day I had my new PC would be my biggest sin for now..
I don't have much knowledge abt these things, but there was an option called "factory image export" and when I selected it in a specified location, it created some 20GB folder called "Samsung Recovery"..not sure if this is what you meant...and I am not sure if we can recover using this one...

From your manual.

Capture001.PNG

Capture002.PNG

Capture003.PNG

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ME, XP,Vista,Win7,Win8,Win8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Other Info
    Notebooks x 3

Desktops x 5

Towers x 4
One of the problems I am bother with in this thread is that the Windows 7 installed has been assumed to be UEFI compatible. If you want to know for sure, set your system back to the Windows 8 Secure boot configuration. The Windows 7 DVD will not complete the boot process, but it will tell you if it is UEFI capable either during boot, or as the attachment shows.

Once you know the Windows 7 Install DVD is actually UEFI compatible, you will have to find the settings on your system allow it to boot.

Theog, any way you could add to the link for creating a Windows 8 System Image to show how to include the recovery partition in the backup? Putting a drive letter on it with Diskpart is not that big of a deal.

Attachments

• BootDevice5.jpg
    BootDevice5.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 228

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Grown
    CPU
    i7 3770K
    Motherboard
    Memory
    16 G
    Graphics Card(s)
    Hard Drives
    Kingston SSD 240 GB
One of the problems I am bother with in this thread is that the Windows 7 installed has been assumed to be UEFI compatible. If you want to know for sure, set your system back to the Windows 8 Secure boot configuration. The Windows 7 DVD will not complete the boot process, but it will tell you if it is UEFI capable either during boot, or as the attachment shows.

Once you know the Windows 7 Install DVD is actually UEFI compatible, you will have to find the settings on your system allow it to boot.

Theog, any way you could add to the link for creating a Windows 8 System Image to show how to include the recovery partition in the backup? Putting a drive letter on it with Diskpart is not that big of a deal.

I have tried this option. But I still wonder why W7 is only shown as P1 or P2 and not the UEFI one. I tried even enabling the secure boot but no luck here.

Regarding the W7 version, I too had some doubt whether I had a compatible version or not. So I downloaded this one:
X17-59465.isohttp://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-59465.iso

This link I have found here

(sorry if I'm not allowed to post some other website links here)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 / Windows 8
    Computer type
    Laptop
Back