Windows 7 outpacing Windows 8 adoption, shows latest fig.

Latest NetMarketshare figures suggest Windows 7 is outpacing Windows 8's adoption, despite a rapid reduction in Windows XP usage over the past quarter.
Over the past month, Windows 8's share has increased by 0.61 percentage points, rising to 8.02 percent of the total share. Whereas, on the other hand, Windows 7's share increased by 0.8 percentage points, rising to 46.3 percent of the market.
To put this into context, Apple's latest desktop operating system OS X 10.8 operating system grew by 0.27 percentage points to a mere 3.7 percent of the overall share. But this figure accounts for just shy of half of Windows 8's overall growth for August.
Windows 7 outpacing Windows 8 adoption, shows latest figures | ZDNet

I don't think Microsoft is trying to push users to hybrid devices. They are already moving that way, Microsoft just wants a piece of the pie. Desktop PC's will be around for a while, it's just that most people already have one and aren't in a big hurry to buy another one or replace it. A fair number already have a laptop too, and a smart phone. Tablets are what's selling at the moment, at least it looks that way to me. Microsoft wants in on that market and tried to mold Windows to run on those devices. Trying to make Windows run on all types of devices doesn't seem to have worked out to well. A lot of die hard desktop users aren't impressed. Windows 7 is what rocks for those die hard users. I still run it on one of my desktop PC's. I respect those users and their opinion. Some may be buying Windows 7 licenses while they still can knowing that its going to get harder and harder to find.

I was quit indifferent to Windows 8 when I first started using it. After using it for a while though I don't find it so bad. I don't miss the old start menu. I still think it should be an option for those that want it though. Now that Metro is multi monitor friendly in 8.1 I have it running on my main desktop. I must say though, that if I didn't have TechNet I'd still be running Windows 7 on everything except my Laptop that came with Windows 8.

Well said, and it's what I've been saying for a while about tablets being the main reason Microsoft is moving towards this type of OS. Yeah, they do want, and need to be part of the mobile market.

As for Windows 8, now 8.1, I'm running it on my laptop and have gotten used to the way it works. No issues here, and to me, the OS performs just as good as 7, and some things are a bit better example task manager and windows explorer.

I'm still running 7 on my desktop but am seriously considering replacing it with 8.1. The only question is game compatibility.

So far I haven't installed to many games on my desktop since installing 8.1. I've tried 8 on it several times and always ended up going back to Windows 7. This time though with 8.1, I'm thinking I might not roll it back. My laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled so I left it that way. I wanted at least one PC with 8 on it. The more I used it the less annoying it became. I have access to TechNet so I did a clean install of 8.1 on it just to avoid the pitfalls of an upgrade install. I like the changes they made to Metro and the Start Menu. I think the reality for most though is if your already a h8tr, 8.1 isn't going to change that. I was on the fence, I didn't h8t it but I didn't think it was g8t either. I still wouldn't spend any money to upgrade any of my 7 PC's to 8 but I gladly run 8.1 for free.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
Most of my clients (79 out of 100) have asked me to install Windows 7 on their brand new windows 8 laptops and pc's. That tells you something doesn't it!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64
    Computer type
    Tablet
    Surface Pro 3
    CPU
    i5
    Memory
    4GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics HD
    Screen Resolution
    2160 x 1440
    Hard Drives
    128GB SSD, 128GB MicroSD
    Internet Speed
    8GB
    Antivirus
    Bitdefender
Most of my clients (79 out of 100) have asked me to install Windows 7 on their brand new windows 8 laptops and pc's. That tells you something doesn't it!

No it doesn't. Since there are 1.9 billion computer users across the planet it doesn't mean a thing.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8, (VM win7, XP, Vista)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP Pavilion p1423w
    CPU
    Intel Core i5 3330 Ivy Bridge
    Motherboard
    Foxconn - 2ADA Ivy Brige
    Memory
    16 GB 1066MHz DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD 5450
    Sound Card
    HD Realteck (Onboard)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Mitsubishi LED TV/Montior HD, Dell 23 HD, Hanspree 25" HD
    Screen Resolution
    Mit. 1980-1080, Dell 2048-115, Hanspree 1920-10802
    Hard Drives
    1 SanDisk 240Gig SSD, 2 Samsung 512Gig SSDs
    Case
    Tower
    Cooling
    Original (Fans)
    Keyboard
    Microsoft Keyboard 2000
    Mouse
    Microsoft Optical Mouse 5000
    Internet Speed
    1.3 (350 to 1024 if lucky)
    Browser
    Firefox 19.1
    Antivirus
    MSE-Defender
So far I haven't installed to many games on my desktop since installing 8.1. I've tried 8 on it several times and always ended up going back to Windows 7. This time though with 8.1, I'm thinking I might not roll it back. My laptop came with Windows 8 preinstalled so I left it that way. I wanted at least one PC with 8 on it. The more I used it the less annoying it became. I have access to TechNet so I did a clean install of 8.1 on it just to avoid the pitfalls of an upgrade install. I like the changes they made to Metro and the Start Menu. I think the reality for most though is if your already a h8tr, 8.1 isn't going to change that. I was on the fence, I didn't h8t it but I didn't think it was g8t either. I still wouldn't spend any money to upgrade any of my 7 PC's to 8 but I gladly run 8.1 for free.

I also have the "TechNet" version, though mine came from my school which participates in Microsoft's Dream Spark program, thus they also got the TechNet version.

Anyway I also did a clean install on my laptop, which also came with W8 preinstalled. Everything went well, including drivers. The only issue I had was 8.1 didn't like Norton Internet Security 2013. Calling Symantec about it netted me NIS 2014 for free since my subscription was less than 5 months old, and 2014 is fully compatible with 8.1.

I'll eventually move to 8.1 to the desktop. I'm already running it in VMware, but it's not the same a full fledged fully functional desktop.

Thus far all is good on the lappy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v

That doesn't mean it's a bad OS, it probably just means they haven't got used to the UI changes from 7.

I too have lots of folks asking me about 8, but instead of feeding into the 8 is disastrous hype, I just give them my thoughts and show them some stuff. From there they make their decision. Some of the people I talk to either stick with it if they've got it, or are moving to it. A few of my classmates have asked me about it a lot, and some have even purchased or downloaded it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom built by me
    CPU
    Haswell i7-4770K
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 (BIOS F9)
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 gig (1866MHz)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sapphire R9-280 Vapor X
    Sound Card
    Soundblaster ZXR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    NEC PA242W - 24 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1200
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 512gig 850 Pro SSD (OS), Samsung 256gig 840 Pro SSD (photo editing), Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB HD
    PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000 G2
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i Closed Loop Cooler
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech Performance MX
    Internet Speed
    High Speed
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Norton Security
    Other Info
    RAM Speed: 1866MHZ @ 9-10-10-27-2T, 1.5v
What is more interesting; IE is increasing its market share (Firefox and Chrome are both dropping).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (64 bit), Linux Mint 18.3 MATE (64 bit)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    n/a
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T, 2.8 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASRock 880GMH-LE/USB3
    Memory
    8GB DDR3 1333 G-Skill Ares F3-1333C9D-8GAO (4GB x 2)
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI Radeon HD6450
    Sound Card
    Realtek?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Samsung S23B350
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital 1.5 TB (SATA), Western Digital 2 TB (SATA), Western Digital 3 TB (SATA)
    Case
    Tower
    Mouse
    Wired Optical
    Other Info
    Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 17 MATE (64 bit) - 2014-05-17
    Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 16 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-11-13
    Ubuntu 10.04 (64 bit) replaced with Linux Mint 14 MATE (64 bit) - 2013-01-14
    RAM & Graphics Card Upgraded - 2013-01-13
    Monitor Upgraded - 2012-04-20
    System Upgraded - 2011-05-21, 2010-07-14
    HDD Upgraded - 2010-08-11, 2011-08-24,
It's over -- Internet Explorer won the browser war. Does it matter?

Once upon a time Firefox and Chrome could have become king of the desktop browsers. No longer. Internet Explorer remains at the top of the heap, and it's gaining browser share each month. IE has clearly won the desktop browser war. But does it really matter?

browsers20130930.png

The latest figures from NetMarketShare tell the tale. Internet Explorer has a 57.79% desktop market share to Firefox's 18.58% and Chrome's 15.98% and Safari at 5.77%. And the numbers are only getting better for Internet Explorer. In November of 2012, Internet Explorer was at 54.76%, with Firefox at 20.44% and Chrome at 17.24%. That means since then, Internet Explorer has gained more than 3%, while Firefox and Chrome combined lost nearly 3%. So month by month, Internet Explorer is picking up those who seem to be abandoning the competition.

The problem for Microsoft is that traditional PC sales have been shrinking, while sales of smartphone and tablets have continued to grow. And when it comes to mobile browsing, Internet Explorer isn't even yet in the running.
The latest NetMarketShare numbers for mobile browsers show Safari with 54.16%, the Android browser with 22.79%, Opera mini at 7.86%, Chrome at 6.33% and BlackBerry at 2.31%. Internet Explorer is at a lowly 1.95%.

It's over -- Internet Explorer won the browser war. Does it matter? | Computerworld Blogs

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win7/8 Mint
    lenovo W530
    CPU
    intell i7
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    16gb
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    512 gb ssd
    Other Info
    Around 13 million employes

Most of my clients (15 out of 18 friends with computer) have asked me to upgrade their 7 to 8. Or find a new 8 computer with good specs to purchase. Only 14 of my clients have 8 on their computer because #15 also asked me to help finance his upgrade.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    i7-3770K
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Memory
    16 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    17" 24"
    Hard Drives
    1 TB WD
    PSU
    550w
It still is rather unfriendly for my eye to see any PC's or laptop with Windows 8 that doesn't have Classic Shell. I can imagine so many of those average Joe's struggling to find their programs and files on the first few days or weeks using it. A lot of these guys just bought laptops and computers with Windows 8 preinstalled, clueless of the ups and downs of this new OS and just didn't care or didn't know about it and just had to deal with it because they do not know how to downgrade that to 7 or upgrade to 8.1. This group of customers surely take a HUGE percent of Windows 8 sales, whether or not they may like it or h8 it.

I can personally keep dealing with that as long as I have Classic Shell and so does many people here but it hurts me really that some bits and pieces that I actually like were taken away from 8 then more at 8.1.

One example, the graphical way to create adhoc network is gone on Windows 8 and 8.1. You have to do the command line thing to set up and adhoc network.

As I said before, whoever in the design team at MS keeps saying that they remove this and that feature away needs to be fired and fired for good.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Back