Will there be a Windows 8.1 final release ISO download?

Maybe, maybe not? Microsoft have been vague on this but from what I have read they may make changes and fix issues right up to the oct 18th release. It's hard to tell if they are going to actually patch the code of just release updates. I hope they patch the ISO and or release a newer version if any major glitches are found..

Hi there
Windows 8.1 ENTERPRISE won't upgrade a WINDOWS 8 ENTERPRISE version currently - (WINDOWS 8 ENTERPRISE was a TechNet "Real" not a preview version) so I'd imagine unless some new ISO's are released users installing from an ISO will have to INSTALL FROM NEW.

What's confusing is that there appears to be a choice -- but even if you go for the "upgrade" you just get presented with chices - keep user files or keep nothing - and the install does a new install but keeps things like IE favourites settings, documents etc. You have to re-install all your applications (and some special drivers depending on your hardware) all over again. The old drivers etc are kept in a WINDOWS.OLD file so it's not a hassle to re-install these but you need to be aware of this.

I had the same problem when I installed W8 PRO from TechNet and tried to upgrade to W8.1 PRO also from TechNet - both from ISO's- I tested that combination on a VM.

So it looks for ENTEPRISE users - re-install (not sure how many W8 enterprise versions were ever out there -- probably not to many - and these were I guess mainly in I.T depts. with people just testing. For PRO users it looks like Ms is forcing people through the STORE if they want to upgrade rather than install new.

We shall see anyway in a few weeks when W8.1 becomes generally available to "the great unwashed".

Cheers
jimbo

I haven't done any upgrade installs from the ISO, only clean installs, so I haven't had to contend with the keep this or keep that menu options. This is going to sound like nit picking but the TechNet ISO is actually Multii, not just Pro. You can install 8 core from it if you wanted to. TechNet only gives you 8 Pro keys but MSDN gives Pro and Core keys. 5 of each instead of the 3 you get from TechNet.

Hi there
I'm talking about ENTERPRISE here -- that's not part of the MULTI DVD - the enterprise version is a different download and is Multi activation.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Hi there
Windows 8.1 ENTERPRISE won't upgrade a WINDOWS 8 ENTERPRISE version currently - (WINDOWS 8 ENTERPRISE was a TechNet "Real" not a preview version) so I'd imagine unless some new ISO's are released users installing from an ISO will have to INSTALL FROM NEW.

What's confusing is that there appears to be a choice -- but even if you go for the "upgrade" you just get presented with chices - keep user files or keep nothing - and the install does a new install but keeps things like IE favourites settings, documents etc. You have to re-install all your applications (and some special drivers depending on your hardware) all over again. The old drivers etc are kept in a WINDOWS.OLD file so it's not a hassle to re-install these but you need to be aware of this.

I had the same problem when I installed W8 PRO from TechNet and tried to upgrade to W8.1 PRO also from TechNet - both from ISO's- I tested that combination on a VM.

So it looks for ENTEPRISE users - re-install (not sure how many W8 enterprise versions were ever out there -- probably not to many - and these were I guess mainly in I.T depts. with people just testing. For PRO users it looks like Ms is forcing people through the STORE if they want to upgrade rather than install new.

We shall see anyway in a few weeks when W8.1 becomes generally available to "the great unwashed".

Cheers
jimbo

I haven't done any upgrade installs from the ISO, only clean installs, so I haven't had to contend with the keep this or keep that menu options. This is going to sound like nit picking but the TechNet ISO is actually Multii, not just Pro. You can install 8 core from it if you wanted to. TechNet only gives you 8 Pro keys but MSDN gives Pro and Core keys. 5 of each instead of the 3 you get from TechNet.

Hi there
I'm talking about ENTERPRISE here -- that's not part of the MULTI DVD - the enterprise version is a different download and is Multi activation.

Cheers
jimbo

Yeah, I know Jimbo. You mentioned 8 Enterprise and 8 Pro. For some reason the first time I read your post I thought you were talking about an Enterprise ISO and an 8 Pro ISO. You were talking installs though so I misread it. Just a misunderstanding on my part. I have TechNet and MSDN so I know what's on there for downloads. That's what lead to my 8 being a multi edition ISO comment. Sorry for the confusion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Education 64 Bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Asus
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4N68T-M V2 µATX Motherboard
    Memory
    8GB 4GBx2 Kingston PC10600 DDR3 1333 Memory
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA Geforce GT640 2 Gig DDR3 PCIe
    Sound Card
    VIA VT1708s High Definition Audio 8-channel Onboard
    Monitor(s) Displays
    22" LG E2242 1080p and 2 19" I-INC AG191D
    Screen Resolution
    1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024
    Hard Drives
    Crucial MX100 256 GB SSD and 500 GB WD Blue SATA
    PSU
    Thermaltake TR 620
    Case
    Power Up Black ATX Mid-Tower Case
    Cooling
    Stock heatsink fan
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless K350 Wave
    Mouse
    Logitech M570 Trackball and T650 TouchPad
    Internet Speed
    80 Mbps Down 30 Mbps Up
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    HP DVD1040e Lightscribe - External USB2
I installed the 8.1 PRO RTM version and I was required to use my Microsoft account to install it. After it was installed I used the disconnection option and that allowed me to set up my local user account BUT on my drive c:/users my local account is not listed but my Hotmail account is shown twice. I tried renaming and deleting without success. :mad:

You missed the detour in the 8.1 PRO RTM setup that says something like "create a new Microsoft account" - if you follow the form to create the account down to the bottom, it has a link that allows you to proceed to make a local account, without filling in the form with your email details etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    HP COMPAQ Presario CQ57
    CPU
    AMD E- 300 APU with Radion HD Graphics 1.30GHz
    Motherboard
    inbuilt
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI
    Sound Card
    High Definition Audio on-board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    notebook
    Screen Resolution
    1366x768
    Hard Drives
    Seagate ST9500325AS
    Google drive 15GB
    Skydrive 25GB
    BT Cloud
    PSU
    external 20v
    Case
    Laptop
    Cooling
    pretty good
    Keyboard
    inbuilt
    Mouse
    touchpad
    Internet Speed
    BT Infinity Unlimited - 80 up 20 down =70/16 really
    Browser
    Chrome Canary usually
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender and Malwarebytes
    Other Info
    no Start menu modifications
    Upgraded with no issues to 8.0 and to 8.1
I installed the 8.1 PRO RTM version and I was required to use my Microsoft account to install it. After it was installed I used the disconnection option and that allowed me to set up my local user account BUT on my drive c:/users my local account is not listed but my Hotmail account is shown twice. I tried renaming and deleting without success. :mad:

You missed the detour in the 8.1 PRO RTM setup that says something like "create a new Microsoft account" - if you follow the form to create the account down to the bottom, it has a link that allows you to proceed to make a local account, without filling in the form with your email details etc.

Thanks, I did see that option "create a new Microsoft account" but it seems illogical to chose that option not to create a Microsoft account. Maybe I will remember this the next time I do a clean install.

Sooner or later I will have to give up the local account and sign in with a Microsoft account. I thought I could easily switch between local and Microsoft but Microsoft does not make that easy. You need the Microsoft account for their store, Skydrive and who knows what else?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Masuhr - Black Corsair
    CPU
    Intel I7 4770k
    Motherboard
    ASUS Maximus VI Hero
    Memory
    Corsair Dominator 16GB DD3-1866
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus GTX 660 Ti
    Monitor(s) Displays
    ASUS PA248
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Revodrive 350 480GB
    SSD Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB Sata3
    HDD WD Red 2x2TB Sata3
    PSU
    Corsair 860i
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Cooling
    Corsair H100i
    Keyboard
    LG G19
    Mouse
    Microsoft Sidewinder X8
    Internet Speed
    DSL
    Browser
    IE
    Antivirus
    MS Defender
    Other Info
    Logitech T650 Touchpad
I did the upgrade install from the 8.1 DVD and it worked flawlessly, kept all of my programs and games completely intact and they are working fine which I did not think was possible with an upgrade.

Normally I would go with the clean install but didn't want to lose my games and installed programs.

So if some of you guys are wondering if the upgrade works, I can tell you it works better than expected and really saved me a lot of time. :dinesh:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro WMC
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built
    CPU
    Q9650 @ 4.05 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gforce 780i SLI FTW