Will the tablet replace the PC

Not now, not tomorrow but someday I'll expect the stationary PC to vanish from the private sector with the likes of a Surface PRO taking their place.

I see it like that... While on the move you use your Tablet-PC as a Tablet with hardware that goes easy on the batteries while still providing "good" performance for longer periods of travel.

Back at home you plug it into a Docking Station that allows the hardware to go into full rage mode giving you the performance of your todays gaming machines. This Dock gives access to like 3-4 Displays, has connectivity for a dedicated Graphic- and Soundcard and will let you use all your peripherals you own since it has all the USB/FireWire/ThunderBolt Plugs in masses.

It'll also house most of your data on higher capacity HDD's and serve as a remote system you can connect to from your Tablet-PC while on the move ( IF you're connected to the Internet ).

Hello, Durahl. Welcome to Windows EightForums. It's good to have you aboard.

That's more like it. Someone who can think creatively and has insight of the possible future. :thumb:

We cannot assume that devices will remain the same or even that the tower PC will survive. The Surfaces and other hybrids are the first of their kind. They too will, of course, evolve into smaller and more powerful devices. We still have more time for this to occur according to Moore's law, which even then is not the end of the road, for we have the science of Molecular Electronics which could quite possibly create a way to make components even smaller. Heck, we may even be able to Bluetooth our wrist watches to a docking station as you describe.

Moore's law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Molecular electronics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The battery which remains somewhat of a hindrance of being mobile may even be replaced some day with instant charge and longer life:

Electric double-layer capacitor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Intel Pentium D Dual Core
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3000 - PCI Express x16
    Sound Card
    Integrated RealTek ALC888 high-definition audio with 7.1 channel audio support
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    350 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Desktop 7.2" (183mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) L x 14.5"
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
    Office Pro 2013 / Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone 8.1DP GDR1
Nothing stated there isn't to a large degree available right now, for example:

asus-padfone-2-630.jpg

And mobile phones have been able to control home devices for some time, if the appropriate connected devices are installed. Many have security cameras installed that can be accessed on their mobile phone, or start heating/air-conditioning before leaving for home etc.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Not now, not tomorrow but someday I'll expect the stationary PC to vanish from the private sector with the likes of a Surface PRO taking their place.

I see it like that... While on the move you use your Tablet-PC as a Tablet with hardware that goes easy on the batteries while still providing "good" performance for longer periods of travel.

Back at home you plug it into a Docking Station that allows the hardware to go into full rage mode giving you the performance of your todays gaming machines. This Dock gives access to like 3-4 Displays, has connectivity for a dedicated Graphic- and Soundcard and will let you use all your peripherals you own since it has all the USB/FireWire/ThunderBolt Plugs in masses.

It'll also house most of your data on higher capacity HDD's and serve as a remote system you can connect to from your Tablet-PC while on the move ( IF you're connected to the Internet ).

I'm not sure how a tablet can suddenly go from mild to wild just by attaching it to a docking station, unless you mean the docking station has additional hardware that enhances performance. What you then talking about is having a desktop PC to which your tablet attaches.

That's really no different to having a dedicated PC.
That's basically the point, an external dock with external dedicated hardware with more I/O ports. Difference here is that the main "core" of that setup is the tablet PC that is thin and light and you take with you. You seriously going around lugging a desktop with you on the go?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Those who need desktop capability, will most likely have a desktop attached to their peripherals, rather than have what is ostensibly half a desktop waiting for the other half. Those who eschew large desktops, have the choice of much smaller footprints if they wish, for example:

lpc-650-hand_large-480x322.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
This:

Is not speaking of this:

Those who need desktop capability, will most likely have a desktop attached to their peripherals, rather than have what is ostensibly half a desktop waiting for the other half. Those who eschew large desktops, have the choice of much smaller footprints if they wish, for example:

View attachment 20100
But rather this:

That was something I was already pitching in 2010. But that is not me talking, I only used that example in a presentation at my computer club.\

A Mobile Minute with the Motorola Atrix 4G’s Docking Options

Thank you, whs. :)

Nothing stated there isn't to a large degree available right now, for example:

And mobile phones have been able to control home devices for some time, if the appropriate connected devices are installed. Many have security cameras installed that can be accessed on their mobile phone, or start heating/air-conditioning before leaving for home etc.

In size perhaps, but not memory or CPU speed. They will be able to cram more electronics within the same or smaller volume to achieve greater computing power. And don't forget the watch. :D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

View attachment 20100
What's the point of having a miniITX based desktop when right now and in a few years from now, tablet PCs will have similar processing power with increased energy efficiency? Why keep a separate stationary desktop box (especially since the AIO form factor is more likely than anything to be further developed upon hardware wise, let alone the fact that's what would be more desirable to an average consumer) when a tablet PC has very good processing power as it is; then increased with external processing hardware? Only if you need heavy graphical processing, a desktop is the way to go. But if you're doing more common tasks with an occasional intensive task, that's not economically worth it let alone worth having the two separate PCs.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Is not speaking of this:

View attachment 20100

I fully understand what he was referring to; however, why have two disparate pieces of hardware that require to be joined to become a functional device? Note also the complexity of such devices, you will be locked into the specific manufacturer for tablet and docking station. Also, see response below.

What's the point of having a miniITX based desktop when right now and in a few years from now, tablet PCs will have similar processing power with increased energy efficiency? Why keep a separate stationary desktop box (especially since the AIO form factor is more likely than anything to be further developed upon hardware wise, let alone the fact that's what would be more desirable to an average consumer) when a tablet PC has very good processing power as it is; then increased with external processing hardware? Only if you need heavy graphical processing, a desktop is the way to go. But if you're doing more common tasks with an occasional intensive task, that's not economically worth it let alone worth having the two separate PCs.

And anything that you can cram into a tablet, you can cram even moreso into a dedicated mini-PC.

However, if you want to talk about future capability, how about a mini PC (or whatever) that is permanently connected and monitoring activities in your home and abroad? If you have to connect your tablet to the docking station to attain a functional PC, then the docking station etc are devices with no functional capability in the meantime.

When we start to talk about connected homes, there has to be a resident PC or the like providing that permanent connection. It can't be your tablet that's in your backpack or whatever when away from home. That computer sitting at home may be programmed to undertake many functions, set the household temperature, monitor garden watering systems, security, feed the dogs, take a messages from doorknockers etc and provide you with an alert, and any number of other tasks.

Also, what if you have numerous family members that need a computer, are you now locked into buying every member the exact same device to ensure compatibility with the docking station? What if the manufacturer changes the design, suddenly your docking station won't work with the new devices (though no manufacturer would do that). What if another manufacturer comes out with something really special by way of a tablet, but it's not compatible with your docking station? Your docking station breaks, but they don't make that model anymore, because they only make ones for the new design. Oh, well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I had this smallest PC running Win 8 for a week until I decided to return it and get something abt 1/3 the size of a regular pc.
This Lenovo is about the size of a regular router that can be connected at the back of any TV with included brackets. It is fast and smooth but feels so fragile that it may just overheat and burnout anytime. Great htpc system but I worry about the durability.

[video=youtube;KAw3YmnnCso]http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en&gl=CA&client=mv-google&v=KAw3YmnnCso&nomobile=1[/video]

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 (64) : Win 7 (64) : Vista (64) : Android JB 4.2 : iOS 6
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer AX Series & HP i-5 2400s
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Internal- 1TB on each system; 1x120GB SSD on main PC
    External (network attached)- 1x2TB Seagate backup; 1x1TB ext. storage; 1x500GB,
    Other Info
    http://tinyurl.com/br4uxrk

http://tinyurl.com/cwj93pj
Is not speaking of this:

View attachment 20100

I fully understand what he was referring to; however, why have two disparate pieces of hardware that require to be joined to become a functional device? Note also the complexity of such devices, you will be locked into the specific manufacturer for tablet and docking station. Also, see response below.

So what if one is tied to a particular manufacturer? Most devices are that way. Apple, Android, Motorola, and others are very much chord/device/docking specific. e.g. Every other smart phone on the planet uses mini USB for charging/tethering, but no, not iPhone. It needs it's own type of chord. How convenient. :(

And anything that you can cram into a tablet, you can cram even moreso into a dedicated mini-PC.

However, if you want to talk about future capability, how about a mini PC (or whatever) that is permanently connected and monitoring activities in your home and abroad? If you have to connect your tablet to the docking station to attain a functional PC, then the docking station etc are devices with no functional capability in the meantime.

When we start to talk about connected homes, there has to be a resident PC or the like providing that permanent connection. It can't be your tablet that's in your backpack or whatever when away from home. That computer sitting at home may be programmed to undertake many functions, set the household temperature, monitor garden watering systems, security, feed the dogs, take a messages from doorknockers etc and provide you with an alert, and any number of other tasks.

For obvious reasons "Smart House" needs it's own dedicated unit, not sharing it with one that dwells there. Besides we're not speaking of a whole lot of computing power with this.

Also, what if you have numerous family members that need a computer, are you now locked into buying every member the exact same device to ensure compatibility with the docking station? What if the manufacturer changes the design, suddenly your docking station won't work with the new devices (though no manufacturer would do that). What if another manufacturer comes out with something really special by way of a tablet, but it's not compatible with your docking station? Your docking station breaks, but they don't make that model anymore, because they only make ones for the new design. Oh, well.

What if....What if...What if the fox stops to take a crap? It'll never catch the rabbit! Stretching it with your "What if" scenarios here aren't you? Sometimes I think you write just so to read your own words. Geez. How about every user has their own specific docking station for their specific device? How about nothing really lasts that long anyway?! It seems the smaller a device the less it lasts, especially mobile devices due to drops, lid hinges, screens, and the like.

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
"Smart House" needs it's own dedicated unit, not sharing it with one that dwells there. Besides we're not speaking of a whole lot of computing power with this.

Why can't one device be versatile and powerful, and support the needs of the entire house? Your view of not requiring a 'whole lot of computing power' shows that you are thinking within a very small square. As AI technology improves, the requirements for computing capacity will also increase. We are not talking super-computer status, but probably a bit more than is available to a tablet.

Why should we have an intelligent fridge that orders products when stocks get low? Why not have a central system that monitors everything and makes determinations based on wider factors, such as:

• The family being on holidays for two weeks, so that milk that has just gone off in the fridge doesn't need to be replenished a week and a half before the family gets back.
  • There's no need to feed the dogs because the family took them on holidays.
  • There is no need to water the garden because it's been unseasonably wet while the family is on holidays.
  • etc

Sorry, that's all just a load of science fiction crap, isn't it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
I'm not sure how a tablet can suddenly go from mild to wild just by attaching it to a docking station, unless you mean the docking station has additional hardware that enhances performance. What you then talking about is having a desktop PC to which your tablet attaches.

Well you see... I currently own three PC's. Two regular Desktop ones with one being my workhorse attached to three Monitors and an entertaining System attached to a TV and as of recently a Surface PRO ( next to my iPhone )

Something that has always been bothering me is the fact that no matter the effort, these 3 systems will never be 100% synchronized because after all, they're 3 different systems. So after a long night on the web and with lots of new content saved onto the HDD's of the entertaining System I'll have to do a backup to the others if I'd like to enjoy the new content on them as well.

Call me lazy but it's a platinum annoyance.

Solution? Instead of using three why not just use one system!
Problem 1? The Workhorse System has a total weight of ~60kg so mobility is not given unless you're related to the Hulk and wear your Big Tower on a wrist wrap,the Car Batteries in your Bag pack and the 20kg Wacom 24HD Touch being your Touchscreen.
Problem 2? The Mobile System, while sufficient for light gaming, will pale when confronted with more elaborated tasks like 3D Rendering, Crysis Gaming, etc...

So unless Technology manages to cram the Horsepower of my Workhorse System into the Form factor of my Mobile System I do not see another viable solution than partially splitting up the hardware of the system keeping the bare necessary mobile while leaving the horsepower at home for when it's really needed.

Solution? A Mobile Core System that Physically connects to a Dock equipped with upgradable additional Hardware necessary to perform high performance tasks like NextGen Gaming.
Case 1: Don't feel like sitting in front of your Workplace? Take the Tablet with you on the couch and while within reach of your WiFi still access large files like HD Movie Content through streaming.
Case 2: Suddenly realized you're late for a meeting but forgot to transfer an important file from the external HDD's onto the Tablet? Access the Dock System through the Local open WiFi Network or, if not available, the Telephone Network.

With the current technology limitations a system like this you are, within reason, always connected to all your files and will have to familiarize yourself with only one system getting the best of 2 worlds.

For the moment I see this as the optimal solution but, like always, that's just my personal opinion.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Homemade
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-5930K
    Motherboard
    ASUS RAMPAGE V Extreme
    Memory
    32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x EVGA GTX 980 SC
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster ZxR
    Monitor(s) Displays
    3x Dell UltraSharp U3011 / 1x Wacom Cintiq 24HD Touch
    Screen Resolution
    3x 2560x1600 / 1x 1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    1x Kingston HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 SSD
    4x Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Power Supply
    Case
    Corsair 900D
    Cooling
    EKWB / Aquacomputer Custom Water Cooling
    Keyboard
    2x Logitech G710+ Mechanical Gaming Keyboard / 1x Logitech G13 Advanced Gameboard
    Mouse
    Logitech G700 Wireless Gaming Mouse / 3DConnexion Space Pilot PRO
    Internet Speed
    250'000 / 15'000kbit
    Browser
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    YOLO
"Smart House" needs it's own dedicated unit, not sharing it with one that dwells there. Besides we're not speaking of a whole lot of computing power with this.

Why can't one device be versatile and powerful, and support the needs of the entire house? Your view of not requiring a 'whole lot of computing power' shows that you are thinking within a very small square. As AI technology improves, the requirements for computing capacity will also increase. We are not talking super-computer status, but probably a bit more than is available to a tablet.

Why should we have an intelligent fridge that orders products when stocks get low? Why not have a central system that monitors everything and makes determinations based on wider factors, such as:

• The family being on holidays for two weeks, so that milk that has just gone off in the fridge doesn't need to be replenished a week and a half before the family gets back.
  • There's no need to feed the dogs because the family took them on holidays.
  • There is no need to water the garden because it's been unseasonably wet while the family is on holidays.
  • etc

Sorry, that's all just a load of science fiction crap, isn't it?

No. Science fiction on some of it, but I agree we'll eventually get there. But Ray, we're not building the Boeing 787 here. We're running a house. It doesn't take that much computing power. Besides, each appliance, electrical circuit, thermostat, etc. implemented would have it's own electronics to match a standard computing platform that the main unit could read. It needs to be a dedicated/unshared unit. It could communicate with one's mobile device. Hell, we do a lot of that now.

BTW, I just helped a friend solder a capacitor on one of the boards of his fridge. Have you ever seen the electronics in a modern side-by-side fridge/freezer with ice maker/dispenser and all the bells and whistles? It's amazing. There's 3 boards that total approximately 16 square inches of electronic board in them.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info

Well you see... I currently own three PC's. Two regular Desktop ones with one being my workhorse attached to three Monitors and an entertaining System attached to a TV and as of recently a Surface PRO ( next to my iPhone )

Something that has always been bothering me is the fact that no matter the effort, these 3 systems will never be 100% synchronized because after all, they're 3 different systems. So after a long night on the web and with lots of new content saved onto the HDD's of the entertaining System I'll have to do a backup to the others if I'd like to enjoy the new content on them as well.

Problem 1? The Workhorse System has a total weight of ~60kg so mobility is not given unless you're related to the Hulk and wear your Big Tower on a wrist wrap,the Car Batteries in your Bag pack and the 20kg Wacom 24HD Touch being your Touchscreen.
Problem 2? The Mobile System, while sufficient for light gaming, will pale when confronted with more elaborated tasks like 3D Rendering, Crysis Gaming, etc...

So unless Technology manages to cram the Horsepower of my Workhorse System into the Form factor of my Mobile System I do not see another viable solution than partially splitting up the hardware of the system keeping the bare necessary mobile while leaving the horsepower at home for when it's really needed.

Solution? A Mobile Core System that Physically connects to a Dock equipped with upgradable additional Hardware necessary to perform high performance tasks like NextGen Gaming.
Case 1: Don't feel like sitting in front of your Workplace? Take the Tablet with you on the couch and while within reach of your WiFi still access large files like HD Movie Content through streaming.
Case 2: Suddenly realized you're late for a meeting but forgot to transfer an important file from the external HDD's onto the Tablet? Access the Dock System through the Local open WiFi Network or, if not available, the Telephone Network.

With the current technology limitations a system like this you are, within reason, always connected to all your files and will have to familiarize yourself with only one system getting the best of 2 worlds.

For the moment I see this as the optimal solution but, like always, that's just my personal opinion.

Yes, and one needs an OS that runs across multiple devices such as 8 to accomplish this. :)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    8.1 Pro X64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer T690
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Acer/Intel E946GZ
    Memory
    2GB (max upgrade)
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer AL1917W A LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1440 X 900
    Hard Drives
    Thumb drives
    PSU
    Standard 250 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Dual case fans + CPU fan
    Keyboard
    Acer Windows PS/2
    Mouse
    Wireless Microsoft Arc
    Internet Speed
    54mbp/s
    Browser
    IE11
    Antivirus
    Defender
    Other Info
Is not speaking of this:

View attachment 20100

You can have one piece of the system be fully functional.... There are such things for the mac desktops where they have external graphics cards to supplement the mac's in box cards as you can't upgrade them easily. The Razer gaming tablet has the same thing with an external graphics card that can get docked into the tablet to supplement the tablet's NVIDIA M series card. There are other laptops that have a dedicated graphics card that gets activated when connected to the power main, and then switch back to integrated Intel graphics.

Also, as much as you can cram into a little box, it's not going to be as powerful as an ATX tower. Nope, not in the slightest. Even then, if someone has a tablet PC with an NVIDIA M card and is totally fine with it, why even have a separate desktop? Seems like a redundant device to have especially if you don't have a home automation system going. If you have multiple people in a family that needs a computer, OK, an AIO PC would be fine and would be more desirable than having a box to connect several cables to. There probably won't be a setup in a home automation system with a dedicated PC somewhere, they generally tend to have that controlled by a main system somewhere in the house (if that's a PC then it's probably not going to be used for Word most likely) or some kind of built in motherboard behind a touch panel, which is all controlled by a smartphone or a tablet remotely.

The likelihood of a dock on a tablet changing is there, but isn't so much if you buy a different brand of tablet PC, and really is diminished if you don't even need the external addons. You're not getting the concept there, the dock is meant to be used connected to a power main when you are at a desk at a certain time of day. The tablet functions normal regardless of it, it is not a necessity. The tablet will be mobile on battery power for the majority of the time it's being used, as not many people in the consumer space care for a desktop. That's why laptops are so popular and have been and will continue for some time, and that's why tablets are to outsell laptops within five or so years.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus

Yes, and one needs an OS that runs across multiple devices such as 8 to accomplish this. :)

But reading carefully seems we don't have the hardware for this yet. :D

Full portability and power in the same device doesn't exist.

That's why we keep the rendering and heavy gaming at home. :)

No matter how performant and small things get, electrical resistance will heat things up. (they already try to reduce this as good as possible in the latest CPU's and boards but there are always limits)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP Envy DV6 7250
    CPU
    Intel i7-3630QM
    Motherboard
    HP, Intel HM77 Express Chipset
    Memory
    16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD4000 + Nvidia Geforce 630M
    Sound Card
    IDT HD Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    15.6' built-in + Samsung S22D300 + 17.3' LG Phillips
    Screen Resolution
    multiple resolutions
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 250GB + Hitachi HDD 750GB
    PSU
    120W adapter
    Case
    small
    Cooling
    laptop cooling pad
    Keyboard
    Backlit built-in + big one in USB
    Mouse
    SteelSeries Sensei
    Internet Speed
    slow and steady
    Browser
    Chromium, Pale Moon, Firefox Developer Edition
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    That's basically it.
With all the things people have on their wish list for a "powerful" tablet, a new device have emerged.... The Slab.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Main PC - 2x Sony PS3 3D LED Displays + 1x 22" Philips; HTPC - 47" HDTV w/ 17" LCD secondary display
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

My Android tab is a valuable addition to my computing 'stable'.

But it will not, and cannot, replace my desktop-replacement 'mega-laptop (which will be
replaced with another mega-laptop or a home-built desktop when the time arrives).

Not even a Surface pro comes close to doing so.

I also have no need or desire to have them synced, nor do they need to use the
same OS, as they are used for completely different purposes.

If that's what floats your boat, that's all good by me. Just stop trying to sink my boat!

Wenda.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 'Ultimate' RTM 64 bit (Pro/WMC).
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Acer AS8951G 'Desktop Replacement'.
    CPU
    i7-2670QM@2.2/3.1Ghz.
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    8GB@1366Mhz.
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GT555M 2GB DDR3
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD w/Dolby 5.1 surround.
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Built-in. Non-touch.
    Screen Resolution
    18/4" 1920x1080 full-HD.
    Hard Drives
    Toshiba 750GBx2 internal. 1x2TB, 2x640GB, 1x500GB external.
    PSU
    Stock.
    Case
    Laptop.
    Cooling
    Stock.
    Keyboard
    Full 101-key
    Mouse
    USB cordless.
    Browser
    IE11, Firefox, Tor.
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro.
    Other Info
    BD-ROM drive.
Hi Peeps
Think of what the O/P is actually ASKING.

"Can a tablet REPLACE a PC". Not "Can it do some things a PC can do" or can you manage without a PC . There's obviously only one answer to this -- NO.

(By tablet we mean those devices that users perceive as a tablet -- once you start adding external devices and keyboards or even PC type docking stations then that by definition is PC rather than tablet -- the surface pro essentially falls into that category - it's not a conventional tablet in the sense of the word).

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Definitely NO.

As a structural designer using PDS Frameworks, Bentley Structural Modeler, Microstation & AutoCad for 2D & 3D applications, we are relying on physical pen and mouse to accurately interface with what we see on the screen. Although some tablets are capable of this, there is no way it can handle the job I am doing.

just some sample of the work I do:

Surface Structures

eeb1a.jpeg

Underground structures

EEB5_02.jpg

terrains and ground contours/slopes

EEB-5-02.jpg

Last edited:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Screen Resolution
    Hard Drives
    Other Info

Back