Wifi Signal Through Wall?

BeKure, if your house is over 50 years old, and the walls are plaster instead of sheet rock, you have metal mesh as a lattice for the plaster. The metal mesh creates a Faraday cage, which blocks or significantly impairs wireless signals. The metal mesh is probably not in the ceiling, which uses a different kind of backing for the plaster. Your best bet is to buy a signal extender or booster. Another way is to run a wire from the computer, either one, across or inside the ceiling to a wireless router in the room above/below the other computer. That keeps the Faraday cage from blocking the signal, allowing an unimpaired signal directly between floors, without crossing any walls.

In the unlikely event that the ceiling also has metal mesh under the plaster, you have your choice of running an ethernet wired connection between the main router and the upstairs computer, or buying the high-powered signal "ac" type equipment that is the next thing up from an "n" router.

I sympathize with your plight. Unfortunately, sneakernet just won''t cut it for the Internet. I ended up running a waterproof 75-foot ethernet cable under the house and then outside and around to a place where the signal from the secondary computer's wireless adapter was strong. That may sound as bad as running a line through the ceiling, but it wasn't. I pried off the baseboard molding and drilled a 3/8" hole, then ran the cable through the hole, sealed the hole with some kind of goop, and nailed the molding back in place. Everything else was either hidden below the house or around the house outside. The only hassle is occasionally having to physically unplug and plug back in the router outside the house - just cycling the power remotely doesn't reset it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II 3-core 2.3 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS M4A785-M (AM2+)
    Memory
    4 x 1GB Crucial DDR2 1066 Mhz
    Graphics Card(s)
    onboard ATI HD 4200 256MB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell ST2421L
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Hard Drives
    SSD Mushkin Chronos 120 GB (24 GB system partition)
    PSU
    Rocketfish 500W
    Cooling
    redundant
    Keyboard
    wireless
    Mouse
    different wireless
    Internet Speed
    12 MB/s max, 1 to 2 MB/s typical
    Browser
    Opera 20.0.1387.91 stable
    Antivirus
    Yes, I've got one.
BeKure, if your house is over 50 years old, and the walls are plaster instead of sheet rock, you have metal mesh as a lattice for the plaster. The metal mesh creates a Faraday cage, which blocks or significantly impairs wireless signals. The metal mesh is probably not in the ceiling, which uses a different kind of backing for the plaster. Your best bet is to buy a signal extender or booster. Another way is to run a wire from the computer, either one, across or inside the ceiling to a wireless router in the room above/below the other computer. That keeps the Faraday cage from blocking the signal, allowing an unimpaired signal directly between floors, without crossing any walls.

In the unlikely event that the ceiling also has metal mesh under the plaster, you have your choice of running an ethernet wired connection between the main router and the upstairs computer, or buying the high-powered signal "ac" type equipment that is the next thing up from an "n" router.

I sympathize with your plight. Unfortunately, sneakernet just won''t cut it for the Internet. I ended up running a waterproof 75-foot ethernet cable under the house and then outside and around to a place where the signal from the secondary computer's wireless adapter was strong. That may sound as bad as running a line through the ceiling, but it wasn't. I pried off the baseboard molding and drilled a 3/8" hole, then ran the cable through the hole, sealed the hole with some kind of goop, and nailed the molding back in place. Everything else was either hidden below the house or around the house outside. The only hassle is occasionally having to physically unplug and plug back in the router outside the house - just cycling the power remotely doesn't reset it.

Thank you for your detailed response. My condo is actually only 15 years old.
I have sense purchased a wireless signal repeater and that has helped.
Thanks for you input though as it was greatly appreciated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    Intel i5 4690K
    Motherboard
    MSI Z97 Gaming 5
    Memory
    G.SKILL*Ripjaws*X Series*8GB*240-Pin*DDR3*SDRAM*DDR3 186
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI GTX-970
    Sound Card
    N/A
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Panasonic 50" Plasma HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD: Intel 520 120GB SATA III
    SSD 2: Crucial 64GB SATA III
    HDD 1: Western Digital 2TB 7200 RPM
    HDD 2: Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM
    HDD 3: Western Digital 500GB 7200 RPM
    PSU
    Antec*High Current Gamer Series*HCG-900*900W
    Case
    NZXT*Phantom*PHAN-001WT*Red Steel / Plastic Enthusiast*ATX*Full Tower Computer Case
    Cooling
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
    Keyboard
    Logitech G13 & Logitech Bluetooth Illuminated Keyboard K810
    Mouse
    Razer Naga Epic Chroma
    Internet Speed
    75Mbps/10Mbps
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Case Fans 140MM (x1), 120MM (x3), 200MM (x2)
Back