Why would Asus encrypt the C partition

I suspect the reason it's encrypted is s because Windows 8.1 introduced something called Pervasive Device Encryption.

If your device meets certain criteria, (boots from an SSD, Secure Boot and (as I found out today) 64 bit, and a few other things), then it gets encrypted.

It's Microsoft not Asus that do it, and it's on editions of Windows 8.1 that don't have Bitlocker (although I think it shares the same technology but is less controllable).

See some of these links...
Windows 8.1 Device Encryption - the Skinny
Windows 8.1 Preview Security Re-visited - Canadian IT Professionals - Site Home - TechNet Blogs
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dn140266.aspx

Secure Boot is part of the story but is not the same as device encryption - you have have secure boot on a disk which isn't encrypted.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
Well, my experience is slightly different;

1. Both systems I dealt with were 32bit systems
2. Secure boot is not accessible when encrypted. You cannot change it.

I wrote a little tutorial on how to deal with it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    System Manufacturer/Model
    2xHP, 2xGateway, 1xDell, 1xSony
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Ah that's interesting. So if they have full Bitlocker, are the devices you were looking at Windows 8.x Pro then?

Or just regular 8.1? (Which doesn't have full Bitlocker and presumably is using the Pervasive encryption.)

I'm wondering if I can enable the encryption on mine (although I'd still want to be able to boot from USB).

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
It was a regular 8.1 (not Pto) 32bit and it was bitlocker. I was also amazed but somewhere I read that bitlocker comes now with all editions. With the encryption enabled, I could not boot from USB because I could not shut the secure boot off. Maybe it will work if you shut it off before encryption. It would defeat the purpose though.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It was a regular 8.1 (not Pto) 32bit and it was bitlocker. I was also amazed but somewhere I read that bitlocker comes now with all editions. With the encryption enabled, I could not boot from USB because I could not shut the secure boot off. Maybe it will work if you shut it off before encryption. It would defeat the purpose though.

I'm still unclear if you tried booting from UEFI media, like the Terabyte environment I linked to earlier. The answer would seem to be to NOT turn off Secure Boot or otherwise mess with BIOS settings but to boot another signed OS.

TeraByte Unlimited Knowledge Base

quote:

• TBWinRE and TBWinPE (the Image for Windows boot media) support booting via CD or USB flash drive on UEFI systems. The BIOS can be in either UEFI mode or Legacy mode. Secure Boot is supported for TBWinRE created on Windows 8 systems and for TBWinPE created using the Windows 8 ADK.
  • Image for Linux (IFL) v2.79 or later supports booting via CD or USB flash drive on UEFI systems. Secure Boot is supported with IFL v2.81 or later. Attempting to boot IFL v2.80 or earlier with Secure Boot enabled will result in the boot being blocked.
  • Image for DOS (IFD) will not boot on UEFI systems configured in UEFI mode. To boot on these systems Secure Boot must be disabled and you must enable or use Legacy mode.
  • BootIt Bare Metal will not boot on UEFI systems configured in UEFI mode. To boot on these systems Secure Boot must be disabled and you must enable or use Legacy mode.

Seems pretty clear cut, right down to what does and doesn't work with Secure Boot...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center
Nah, I did not use any special boot media. I was looking at this one but did not try it.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
When you had problems booting from USB, what was on the USB? A few months ago I tried the free Macrium and Aomei backup tools, but only Macrium would boot on a Secure Boot setup. Also you have to get the bits right - 64 bit Macrium (using WinPE) won't boot on my 32 bit tablet which is also using EFI I believe.
But the problems I had were due to using a USB which wasn't signed in the right way, not a problem with WIndows.
I don't think the device encryption is why you can't boot; although it does mean you won't have access to the file system if you boot from Linux or whatever.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1, 10
It was a lot simpler - there was no choice in the temporary boot menu regardless what I put in. The only choice was windows. I know all those Macrium odds and I have 32bit and 64bit MBR and UEFI recovery sticks. I also tried a Linux stick.

I also tried to image with AOMEI OneKey because there you need not recover via USB. It could not even deal with encrypted drives.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
It was a lot simpler - there was no choice in the temporary boot menu regardless what I put in. The only choice was windows. I know all those Macrium odds and I have 32bit and 64bit MBR and UEFI recovery sticks. I also tried a Linux stick.

I don't understand. I thought you just replied to me that you didn't try any boot media that is documented to work with Secure Boot. Which is it?

My Computer

System One

• OS
I tell you the truth. I had about 10 flash drives on the table and I do not exactly remember which ones I took - that was 4 weeks ago.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Thanks. It's clear now you have no basis for saying Secure Boot with BitLocker prevents you from using boot media such as Terabyte's tbwinre and ifl which I linked to earlier that are specifically documented to work when Secure Boot is enabled. You ran into issues because you were disabling Secure Boot. If you had tried the right boot media, it might have worked. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say that it does work, but you sure can't say that it doesn't. I wish someone would run a proper test to determine this. I might the next time I build a new system. Telling people to turn off BitLocker so they can disable Secure Boot is at best premature, as you can't say for sure that it's necessary, and it's a bit dangerous for people who care about encryption.

Frankly, this thread has been full of FUD about BitLocker. I've corrected the overly general statements that do not apply to the scenario I'm familiar with, using BitLocker without a TPM and with UEFI BIOS in legacy mode. As for UEFI and Secure Boot, I can't correct the FUD written about that, because I don't have any experience with it. All I can do is what I've done, that is, point to products that are documented to work when Secure Boot is enabled. BitLocker may indeed pose problems when those products are used, but that has not been demonstrated.

My Computer

System One

• OS
You ran into issues because you were disabling Secure Boot. If you had tried the right boot media, it might have worked. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say that it does work, but you sure can't say that it doesn't. I wish someone would run a proper test to determine this. I might the next time I build a new system. Telling people to turn off BitLocker so they can disable Secure Boot is at best premature, as you can't say for sure that it's necessary, and it's a bit dangerous for people who care about encryption.

You are free to Test any thing you want.. And until you do, you have no bases for any comment here..

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 3.1 > Windows 10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8700
    CPU
    I7
    Memory
    24 GB
Thanks. It's clear now you have no basis for saying Secure Boot with BitLocker prevents you from using boot media such as Terabyte's tbwinre and ifl which I linked to earlier that are specifically documented to work when Secure Boot is enabled. You ran into issues because you were disabling Secure Boot. If you had tried the right boot media, it might have worked. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't say that it does work, but you sure can't say that it doesn't. I wish someone would run a proper test to determine this. I might the next time I build a new system. Telling people to turn off BitLocker so they can disable Secure Boot is at best premature, as you can't say for sure that it's necessary, and it's a bit dangerous for people who care about encryption.

Frankly, this thread has been full of FUD about BitLocker. I've corrected the overly general statements that do not apply to the scenario I'm familiar with, using BitLocker without a TPM and with UEFI BIOS in legacy mode. As for UEFI and Secure Boot, I can't correct the FUD written about that, because I don't have any experience with it. All I can do is what I've done, that is, point to products that are documented to work when Secure Boot is enabled. BitLocker may indeed pose problems when those products are used, but that has not been demonstrated.

I think you never understood what I was saying. I said:

1. With the encrypted system drive I could not disable secure boot in the BIOS

2. With the encrypted system drive I had only one temporary boot option and that was from the system drive. And the BIOS was locked.

3. When the system was decrypted, I was able to boot from USB

I have certainly not tested all variations and permutations but I have at least tested some of the encryption problems. You have tested nothing and are just throwing out unconfirmed stuff that you might have read somewhere.

Why don't you do what KYHI says and test it yourself and come back with a full report. Until you have real facts I would appreciate if you stayed off my thread.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs

I think you never understood what I was saying. I said:

1. With the encrypted system drive I could not disable secure boot in the BIOS

Yes, in replies to my posts, it was established that trying to disable Secure Boot is the wrong approach if you want to keep the encryption. It doesn't work, because BitLocker prevents it. However, by your own admission, you didn't try boot media such as the ones I linked to that are documented to work with Secure Boot enabled.

2. With the encrypted system drive I had only one boot option and that was from the system drive.

If certain boot media is documented to work with Secure Boot enabled, it must be possible to boot from it on some systems. Otherwise, Terabyte and others are just lying. I suppose it is possible that if the boot media is incompatible with Secure Boot, the BIOS might not even present it as an option, and that could explain your observation. Or maybe your BIOS was unnecessarily crippled. How would I know? The only thing I'm really interested in here is whether or not BitLocker restricts boot choice in general when Secure Boot is enabled, as Secure Boot by itself shouldn't have prevented it for compatible boot media. That would be useful to know.

3. When the system was decrypted, I was able to boot from USB

Yes, as you said, "With the encryption enabled, I could not boot from USB because I could not shut the secure boot off." That was to be expected. It might not be the best answer, though.

I have certainly not tested all variations and permutations but I have at least tested some of the encryption problems. You have tested nothing and are just throwing out unconfirmed stuff that you might have read somewhere.

Why don't you do what KYHI says and test it yourself and come back with a full report. Until you have real facts I would appreciate if you stayed off my thread.

I don't know what KYHI said, because I put him on ignore due to his behavior in this thread, where he repeated his overly general and wrong statements about BitLocker even after I had corrected him here concerning similar statements, and after correcting him again there, his subsequent replies seemed not to acknowledge his wrongness but instead got weirder. And it was not just me finding fault with what he said in that thread. As for what I've tested and haven't tested, I've clearly spelled those things out without any prompting to do so. I've done so in this thread and in the lengthy, detailed post on the Terabyte forum I linked to in my first message. As for your request that I "get off your lawn", my presence on it has clarified what you're talking about and identified what you have and haven't tested, and moreover, what needs to be tested. As I said here, I'm trying to see that BitLocker doesn't get an undeserved bad rap.

To summarize, you started off by saying BitLocker prevented you from imaging. That is not true in general, and I linked to my post in the Terabyte forum where I described how it works when not using TPM and when UEFI BIOS is in legacy mode. That led you to clarify your first post by stating that BitLocker was preventing you from disabling Secure Boot and thus preventing you from running your boot media. That was news to me, so when you asked why this happens, I did some research and posted a link to a TechNet article that would seem to explain it. You then stated you wrote a tutorial on how to deal with this, and I guess the advice was to decrypt the system drive per your point (3) above and turn off Secure Boot, which I would call The Nuclear Option and a really bad situation if it's the only way. That's when I asked for clarification on whether you had tried boot media such as I had linked to earlier that is documented to work with Secure Boot enabled, which presumably would not require decrypting the system drive. Your response? "Nah." And that's how I came to write the message you've quoted above and are complaining about. I thought it was fair, and I stand by it.

BTW, it's not just restoring images that's at stake here with this Secure Boot/BitLocker uncertainty. I add a bunch of programs to tbwinre, so that it's a good Parted Magic substitute with a lot of troubleshooting tools instead of a relatively bare bones Windows Recovery Environment with just the Terabyte tools installed. I would not give this or BitLocker up to enable Secure Boot, and when I built my Z87 system a year and a half ago, I concluded Secure Boot was too new and complicated even to experiment with, plus I was reading BIOS's were buggy WRT its features, and even hardware such as video cards may not be compatible with it if they lack UEFI BIOS. It's something I will look into when I build a new system.

My Computer

System One

• OS
I told you in kind words to stay off my thread or do you want me to ask to get you banned from the forum.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Vista and Win7
    Hard Drives
    5 SSDs and 12 HDs
Back