Why Are PC Sales Up And Tablet Sales Down?

When iPads first came out, they were hailed as the undoing of the PC. Finally, a cheap and reliable computing device for the average user instead of the complicated, quirky PC. After a few years of strong growth for iOS and Android tablets and a corresponding decrease in PC sales, the inverse is suddenly true: PC sales are up and tablet sales are “crashing.” What happened?

The tablet slowdown shouldn’t be a surprise given that tablets have hardly improved beyond relatively superficial changes in size, screen resolution, and processor speed. The initial market for tablets is now saturated: grandparents and kids have them, people bought them as Sonos controllers and such, and numerous households have them around for reading. People that want tablets have them, and there’s just no need to upgrade because they more than adequately perform their assigned tasks.

Businesses and consumers alike are again purchasing PCs, and Mac sales are on the rise year-over-year. Businesses in particular are forced to upgrade older PCs now that Windows XP is no longer supported. When purchasing a new PC, the main driver to choose a PC versus a tablet is fairly obvious: If you are creating any type of content regularly, you need a keyboard, a larger screen, and (for most businesses) Microsoft Office.

Source

A Guy

OK Everyone.

Hands up here those people who've ever been to a business meeting where about 12 - 14 people ALL have laptops, power cables, cables to connect to the external monitor etc etc. Even "Desktop" sharing (at a demo for example) usually requires the PC of the demonstrator to be on the conference room monitor for display purposes. Now someone at the other end of the room needs to Demo something -- people move around, cables in the way, monitor unplugged and plugged in again, some fiddling with resolution so people can see OK etc etc. I'm sure loads of you have been to meetings like that.

I'm sure I.T developers will be more than familiar with the above scenarios especially when rolling out some large ERP type of project and needing to get the end users involved in the initial pre-implementation phases.

Take now the SP3 (or similar device) -- Battery life is fine so even if a meeting takes longer than 2 - 3 hours you don't need to take power cables, the Monitor can be connected by WIRELESS so nobody needs to change positions in the room to physically connect their display, using some Touch functions - particularly to dynamically re-size parts of the display etc are fine and the whole thing is so much more pleasant -- more space, no cables, far less heat etc etc.

There's certainly plenty of scope in businesses for using these "Convertible" PC's which I'm sure we'll see more and more of as the prices fall.

Some functions will still require heavy duty desktops -- not denying that - but a niche market only -- I'm sure about 90% of PRO I.T consultants are quite happy and able to work with Laptops -- it's just these days that the word "Laptop" needs a new definition - Mobile computing.

A Tablet ONLY device as we all agree IS NOT a replacement for a proper functioning computer if you need a computer in the first place.

Cheers

jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
Like I always say: Right tool for the job and right job for a tool.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Home made
    CPU
    AMD Ryzen7 2700x
    Motherboard
    Asus Prime x470 Pro
    Memory
    16GB Kingston 3600
    Graphics Card(s)
    Asus strix 570 OC 4gb
    Hard Drives
    Samsung 960 evo 250GB
    Silicon Power V70 240GB SSD
    WD 1 TB Blue
    WD 2 TB Blue
    Bunch of backup HDDs.
    PSU
    Sharkoon, Silent Storm 660W
    Case
    Raidmax
    Cooling
    CCM Nepton 140xl
    Internet Speed
    40/2 Mbps
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    WD
At least the Surface 3 Pro seems to sell pretty fast here in Oz. It got available today and I bought my wife a 3-Pro-i7-512GB and we got told that they even sold already 5 Docking-Stations as well. At least my wife is happy now, after I got already my Desktop-Upgrade not so long ago. Let's hope that we will be able to get Windows-9 for it as well and hopefully quite cheap too.

:D

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770k @4800MHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB in 2-Way-SLI (1408MHz | Boost: 1544MHz | Memory-Clock: 8000MHz)
    Sound Card
    OnBoard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VE278Q 27" Wide Led Black Full HD 2ms | Dell S2409W 24" 5ms
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    - Intel 520S 240GB/SATA3/R 550MBs,W 520MBs/25nm/3.5"Kit/5yr
    - Samsung 840 EVO SATA3 500GB
    - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    - Seagate Constellation SATA3 3TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Thermaltake Level-10 GT LCS
    Cooling
    EK H3O HFX 240mm Liquid Cooling Kit + 2x EK-480-Rads + GPU-Blocks + Gelid Extreme
    Keyboard
    Roccat Isku | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad
    Mouse
    Roccat Pure Military Dessert Strike | Shogun Bros. Ballista MK-1 | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection
    Internet Speed
    ADSL2+ ~15MBit/s DL | ~1MBit/s UL
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
    - Plantronics GameCom Commander Headset
    - Logitech X-210 Speakers
    - Roccat Taito Mid-Size 5mm
    - PC-Master-Race MousePad (yellow)
Hi there

Hope she likes it -- I think although it's expensive (early adopters always pay over the odds !!) I'm sure she will be delighted with it - especially also if you get a docking station -- play also to an external monitor - Video is brilliant -- try it on a 4K TV screen !!!! You won't be able to use a "Normal" laptop with 1366 X 768 any more !!!!.

I love mine -- had it for a few weeks now -- it's so handy when travelling or doing Work type presentations etc.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
People are awaking from a bad dream... lol...

:roflmao:

I have some small devices too, but I'll always be a desktop fanboy !

:thumbsup:

I second that

Now, if everyone could see thet we do not need the desktop.....

Jeff

My Computer

System One

• OS
    WINDOWS 8.1 x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    CPU
    INTEL CORE I--3770K LGA1155
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V
    Memory
    KINGSTON 2400 MHZ KHX24C11K4 16GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    INTEL HD GRAFICS 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Philip BDL3245€ 32 inch
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 1080
    Hard Drives
    2 SAMSUNG 840 PRO RAID 0 ON BOARD 2 x 128 GB
    Keyboard
    LOGITEC MX™ 5500
    Mouse
    LOGITEC MX 5500
    Internet Speed
    120 Mbps
Hi there

Try taking a Desktop on a Eurostar train from Brussels to London or on any sort of Plane !!!!. Mobile devices most certainly DO have their uses - most old desktop computers probably just lie there gathering dust for about 90% of people who have and use computers.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    2 X 3 TB sata
    5 X 1 TB sata
    Internet Speed
    0.12 GB/s (120Mb/s)
I certainly have to concur.....that a desktop on the train probably won't work.

But for home use, you can't beat it with any other modern miracle of computing technology.

I don't say that, except for my 34 years of experience as a Professional Computer Technician.

If the "Desktop Computer" is coming back, all I can say is "Whooopeeee"!!!
I just means more groceries for me, as a working PC Tech.

Good thread!

:cool:

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win-8.1/Pro/64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Acer X-1200
    CPU
    AMD 2 Core
    Motherboard
    Acer
    Memory
    Crucial, 4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDEA GeForce 9200
    Sound Card
    On Board
    Monitor(s) Displays
    24" Acer
    Hard Drives
    Sandisk, SSD 500GB
    PSU
    Acer
    Case
    SFF Slimline
    Keyboard
    emachines 101 key
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    5 Meg
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    Using Classic Shell on Win-8.1 /pro/64
That's what makes the Surface Pro 3 so close to the perfect PC. It's a good tablet when you want a tablet, it's a decent laptop when you need a laptop and, with a dock and attached external monitor(s) and full-sized keyboard, it can be a fairly decent desktop. If I were to own only 1 computing device it would be a Surface Pro.

I am fortunate that I am not restricted to only owning 1 computing device so I can own multiple devices and use each one to accomplish whatever task I wish to do at the time and place I wish to do it. I believe many people (not all of course) are also able to afford to buy multiple devices so they have a tablet for when on the go but have a desktop at home as well.

I believe the tablet market has "matured" just as the laptop and desktop markets have. People will replace any of those devices after some period of time for many reasons, failure of the device, want to upgrade for more power/features, obsolescence, etc... So instead of tablets being purchased by first time users, they are purchased as replacements for existing tablets.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W10 Pro (desktop), W10 (laptop), W10 Pro (tablet)
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built i7-8700K, Hp Envy x360 EVO Laptop, MS Surface Pro 7
    CPU
    3.7Ghz Core i7-8700K, 11th Gen Core i7-1165G7 4.7Ghz, 10th Gen Core™ i5-1035G4 1.1Ghz
    Motherboard
    ASUS TUF Z370-Pro Gaming, HP, MS
    Memory
    16G, 8G, 8G
    Graphics Card(s)
    AMD Radeon RX580, Intel Iris X Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics G4
    Sound Card
    ATI High Definition Audio (Built-in to mobo)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Samsung U32J59 32 inch monitors, 13.3" display, 12.3" display
    Screen Resolution
    3840x2160 (Desktop), 1920x1080 (laptop), 2736x1824 Pro 7
    Hard Drives
    500GB ssd boot drive with 2 & 10TB Data (Desktop), 512GB ssd (laptop), 128GB SSD (tablet)
    PSU
    Corsair CX 750M
    Case
    Antec 100
    Cooling
    Coolermaster CM 212+
    Keyboard
    IBM Model M - used continuously since 1986
    Mouse
    Microsoft IntelliMouse
    Internet Speed
    665Mbps/15Mbps down/up
    Browser
    FireFox, MS Edge
    Antivirus
    Defender on all
    Other Info
    Retired in 2015 after working in the tech industry for 41 years. First 10 years as a Technician, the rest as a programmer/software engineer. After 1 year of retirement, I was bored so went back to work as a Robotic Process Automation Consultant. Retired for 3rd (and final) time in 2019.
Laptops are too large to travel with. (many poeple have to pay extra cabin ligage fee when flying low cost airlines because their laptop doesn't fit in their suitcase). A large tablet or a convertible would be my choice ... should I need one. Because if you go mobile, you need something mobile.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    w9x
Hi there

Hope she likes it -- I think although it's expensive (early adopters always pay over the odds !!) I'm sure she will be delighted with it - especially also if you get a docking station -- play also to an external monitor - Video is brilliant -- try it on a 4K TV screen !!!! You won't be able to use a "Normal" laptop with 1366 X 768 any more !!!!.

I love mine -- had it for a few weeks now -- it's so handy when travelling or doing Work type presentations etc.

Cheers
jimbo

Oh yeah, she is loving it so far.

We will possible get a Docking as well and maybe one of the BlueTooth Mice too.

People are awaking from a bad dream... lol...
:roflmao:

I have some small devices too, but I'll always be a desktop fanboy !

I second that

Now, if everyone could see thet we do not need the desktop.....

Jeff

There will be always a use for a proper Desktop-PC, at least if you want to game in a proper way or do some heavy work on it.

I love my Lumia 920 and I think the Surface 3 Pro is an awesome tablet, but they are not able to replace my high-end Desktop-PC, neither is a console.

:)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows-10-Pro-Build-11099.rs1-x64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom-Build
    CPU
    Intel Core i7 3770k @4800MHz
    Motherboard
    Asus P8Z77-V
    Memory
    G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX
    Graphics Card(s)
    2x Gigabyte GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB in 2-Way-SLI (1408MHz | Boost: 1544MHz | Memory-Clock: 8000MHz)
    Sound Card
    OnBoard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Asus VE278Q 27" Wide Led Black Full HD 2ms | Dell S2409W 24" 5ms
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    - Intel 520S 240GB/SATA3/R 550MBs,W 520MBs/25nm/3.5"Kit/5yr
    - Samsung 840 EVO SATA3 500GB
    - Seagate Constellation SATA3 3TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache
    -
    PSU
    Corsair AX1200i
    Case
    Thermaltake Level-10 GT LCS
    Cooling
    EK H3O HFX 240mm Liquid Cooling Kit + 2x EK-480-Rads + GPU-Blocks + Gelid Extreme
    Keyboard
    Roccat Isku | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad
    Mouse
    Roccat Pure Military Dessert Strike | Shogun Bros. Ballista MK-1 | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection
    Internet Speed
    ADSL2+ ~15MBit/s DL | ~1MBit/s UL
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
    Other Info
    - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick
    - Plantronics GameCom Commander Headset
    - Logitech X-210 Speakers
    - Roccat Taito Mid-Size 5mm
    - PC-Master-Race MousePad (yellow)
But I thought the PC is died.

As has been said many times about this, it was just a migration of people who only needed the basics to get onto the internet but in the past had to buy a full featured desktop or laptop to get there. It wasn't the end of an era as was suggested.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Pssh. Who buys prebuilts?
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Motherboard
    Asus
    Memory
    8 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dual Asus 22" Widescreen
    Screen Resolution
    1920 x 2160
    Hard Drives
    OCZ SSD boot drive. Spinny secondary drive.
    Case
    Diablotek
    Cooling
    Air
    Keyboard
    Razer BlackWidow Toureny edition.
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    50 down 10 up
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. AV is for noobs.
    Other Info
    I like Macs.
I fall under the "grandparent and kids" section I guess. I purchased an ipad cause I wanted something lightweight I could mess around with and that's exactly what I do. I play Game of War on the Ipad but everything else, documents, financing, etc I do on the desktop. The only real advantage the ipad has given me is if I am looking up information for a friend/relative I can just pull out my tablet from my shoulder case bag and press and say for that item to search for and go for there. It is convenience nothing more. Once that convenience has been fulfilled by those who needed it they will go back to the priority.

It's like buying vehicles for some people. We have a "Sunday vehicle" one that looks all nice and shiny. Then we have an "every day vehicle" It's not a clunker yet but it's getting there!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    iBUYPOWER
    CPU
    AMD 8320
    Graphics Card(s)
    Radeon 7850