Which Anti Virus Should I Use To Protect Windows 8 ?

if you want a wee bit more protection than get Malwarebytes Pro. It will compliment Windows Defender

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Avoid McAfee and Norton like the plague. I personally recommend Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. It's paid but worth it. I've heard that the free version of Avast is also good. As for Kaspersky it does use a bit more resources than other AVs but it's very comprehensive and runs well on mid to high end machines. For something like a netbook go with ESET NOD32, since it's small and fast. Windows Defender isnt too bad either. No matter what you choose, you should consider supplementing your AV with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot Search And Destroy.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro x64, Windows Server 2012 R2 x64
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Intel Core i7-3632QM, 2.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA 720M, Intel HD 4000
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Laptop/notebook keyboard/touchpad
    Internet Speed
    It varies, since I'm mobile most of the time
    Browser
    Chromium (the open-source browser which Google Chrome is derived from)
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, Spybot, Privatefirewall
    Other Info
    I will add more information here later
I use Immunet Plus for my windows 8. I have also used Norton, Kaspersky for my windows 8 system and have recently shifted to Immunet Plus. It works amazingly well.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Window
real time protection

You only use one real time protection at once correct?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell XPS 8300, Dell Inspiron 15 R N5010
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
One antivrus program can run, one anti malware should run at a time and never set them to scan the same time or day

My Computer

System One

• OS
    4 Windows 7 Pro Sp1- 4 Win 8 Pro, 1- xp pro sp3
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dell Optiplex 390, 380, 3 Vostro Laptops (7 computers in all)
    CPU
    desktop/laptop
    Memory
    4gigs
    Graphics Card(s)
    atm randioum
    Hard Drives
Hello Guys, previously I had A trail version of McAfee Total Protection 2013 but now its going to expire. So now I need a premium Anti Virus.

So my question is that which antivirus should I buy? Money is not a factor but I need A very very powerful Anti Virus to protect my both Windows 8 and my Laptop from any kind of Virus,Worm,Hacking,Internet Attack. So please can anyone suggest me the best and the most powerful Antivirus in the market.

Thanks....... :)

I use Avast -free edition. Good enough protection for me....never been infected. If I was buying one I'd probably get Kaspersky, BitDefender, or F-Secure. Those are always near the top in detection. According to the latest test, Kaspersky and F-Secure tied for first place as the lightest AV.

AV-Comparatives Performance test. - http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avc_per_201304_en.pdf

AV-Comparatives Real World Protection Test. - http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/avc_prot_201304en.pdf

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit - Windows 8 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Laptop: Acer Aspire V3-771G-9809
    CPU
    Intel Xeon 3110 3.0Ghz @ 3.6Ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte EX38-DS4
    Memory
    8GB G. Skill PC2-8500
    Graphics Card(s)
    PALiT GeForce 9600 GT PCI Express 2.0
    Sound Card
    OnBoard - Realtek ALC889A High Definition Audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Dell 24" LCD
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1200
    Hard Drives
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000GLFS - 300GB | Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS - 750GB | LaCie d2Next-Quadra external - 1TB
    PSU
    Corsair HS620W
    Case
    Lian Li PC-V1100b Plus II
    Cooling
    Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    Keyboard
    Logitech
    Mouse
    Logitech
    Internet Speed
    SLOW - HughesNet Satellite Internet - SUCKS!
protection

Thank you for your ideas. I have used Defender aka MSE for years along with the native firewall with no issues.
I do use a router also. I wish I were skilled enough to involve Sandboxie or a VM but my attempts have fallen short.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
Windows Defender , no third party AV used here.
THE EQUIPMENT AT THE TARGET IP ADDRESS
DID NOT RESPOND TO OUR UPnP PROBES!
(That's good news!)

From previous experience an AV solution brings in more lag to the system than when it becomes infected.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    W8 Pro 9200
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Y460
    CPU
    Intel core i3 M350 2.27Ghz
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Intel HD graphics
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender
Avoid McAfee and Norton like the plague. I personally recommend Kaspersky Internet Security 2013. It's paid but worth it. I've heard that the free version of Avast is also good. As for Kaspersky it does use a bit more resources than other AVs but it's very comprehensive and runs well on mid to high end machines. For something like a netbook go with ESET NOD32, since it's small and fast. Windows Defender isnt too bad either. No matter what you choose, you should consider supplementing your AV with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Spybot Search And Destroy.

I used to use the original Kaspersky, initially it was good, but then it failed to find some nasty things. kaspersky TDSSkiller is great, I use that in tandem with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit: Because you have to remember that once you get rid of the Virus and Malware Virus Bodies and reg entries, there are ROOTKITS to contend with. I'll use one, then I'll try the other. Malwarebytes anti rootkit takes longer.

There was one year I bought a McAfee licence, which somehow gave me the ability to keep making up new email addresses so I could install it to mroe machines, so I had all my machines protected by it - This was around 2003. In itself the software was not bad, but the state of the PC in 2003, was that there were hundreds of P-IIIs about, maybe even a few 500 mHz Cpus - So running that took about 6 hours even back then.

Now, Norton, maybe back in the 80's and 90's that software actually did something, but when this company called "Symantec" popped up, and started acquiring good software, they gobbled up Norton and wrecked them forever. Now a prime example of this was the AtGuard Firewall, for Windows 98 it was the best and only interactive learning Firewall made for that OS - Then Norton "acquired" it - The company (WRQ, inc) tried to fight it, but were beaten. This did not wreck the company but they did move the old AtGuard forums to a safe place, and they provided AtGuard for FREE during the last stages of the takeover. I still have a copy, somewhere. It just never worked for Windows 2000, I think they even did release a version that could be installed to Windows 2000. This is why I loathe and Despise Norton, and I delete their software on Sight. Well, not Norton Per Se, but Anything with the name Symantec on it. WORTHLESS!

So I've been Using ESET NOD32 for a long time now. However, for Windows 8 I removed it and used Defender. It was good, but I roam areas where I need a little better protection, so I reinstalled NOD32 version 6, and it immediately found a virus embedded in my system that Defender didn't see.

I've tried all other free and paid AV's but nothing does what ESET can do and also be totally automatic. I have a Profile saved I can just reinstall. When ESET finds something, it goes away, that's a fact.

Oh Yah, here is a little note from the develoerp of a part of AtGuard, a part which is still in use by Norton.

Unofficial AtGuard Page

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 Pro with Media Center/Windows 7
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus § DualCore AMD Athlon 64 X2, 2300 MHz (11.5 x 200) 4400+ § Corsair Value Select
    CPU
    AMD 4400+/4200+
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-MX SE Plus/Asus A8M2N-LA (NodusM)
    Memory
    2 GB/3GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce 8400 GS/GeForce 210
    Sound Card
    nVIDIA GT218 - High Definition Audio Controller
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Hitachi 40" LCD HDTV
    Screen Resolution
    "1842 x 1036"
    Hard Drives
    WDC WD50 00AAKS-007AA SCSI Disk Device
    ST1000DL 002-9TT153 SCSI Disk Device
    WDC WD3200AAJB-00J3A0 ATA Device
    WDC WD32 WD-WCAPZ2942630 USB Device
    WD My Book 1140 USB Device
    PSU
    Works 550w
    Case
    MSI "M-Box"
    Cooling
    Water Cooled
    Keyboard
    Dell Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Intellimouse
    Internet Speed
    Cable Medium Speed
    Browser
    Chrome/IE 10
    Antivirus
    Eset NOD32 6.x/Win Defend
    Other Info
    Recently lost my Windows 8 on my main PC, had to go back to Windows 7.
Eset nod32

Thank you for the referral. I will read about it now.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
I use avast free, malwarebytes anti-malware, and spybot search and destroy.

You may wonder why so many programs, they do different things very well.

Consider them as experts in their fields, whereas a single anti-everything as a handyman doing multiple jobs.

Some anti-everything do pretty well. Like the verizon internet protetction. Since my friend installed that suite, Ive not had to go back to her computer for virus or malware removal..

If you have to go through the rough neighborhoods of the internet then you should ADD Malwarebytes antimalware..

It prevents you from even entering a known bad website. It also monitors port traffic, for malware that try to sneak in through messengers, file sharing programs, and such.. Youll see it at work in the system tray when it blocks an attempted infiltration, and displays the ip address of the offending website.

Spybot search and destroy is a use as needed program. Do a weekly or bi-monthly scan to remove adware, toolbars, redirectors, all those things that slow your internet down.. I recommend version 1.62 the v 2.0 is a bit heavy for me which runs slow on my old pc..

Avast and spybot are free and malwarebyes is @ $25.00

The only cleanup i have to do is toolbar removal because its almost impossible to download a program without that website adding their installer to it adding a toolbar to your browser. Even though toolbars are not necessarily unsafe, theyre annoying because they change your default search engines and home page..

Try malwarebytes free, see what it catches..

Brooklyn

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 & Windows 7 Dual Boot
    Computer type
    Laptop
    HP G60
    CPU
    AMD Turion RM-70 Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    Memory
    3 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
    Screen Resolution
    1366 x 768
    Mouse
    MS Intellipoint 5 button (love it!)
    Browser
    Chrome and Chromium
    Antivirus
    Avast Free & Malwarebytes
protection

I only go to safe internet sites. I do have MBAM.
Suites are ok but have too much. I am ok with Defender, aka MSE, Win 8 native firewall and MBAM behind the router. I am looking to add some type of virtual protection whether it be a machine or Sandboxie.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro x 64
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Memory
    6 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia GE force 420
    Hard Drives
    1TB
    Browser
    Edge, Chrome
    Antivirus
    Defender, MBAM, Router
I just tried out my Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 subscription on Windows 8.1 Preview x64, and it refused to install. A bunch of BS if you ask me. I dont see why it wouldnt be compatible.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    1 TB HDD (5400 RPM), 1.5 TB HDD (5400 RPM) installed in a 12.7mm disc drive caddy
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
Well, i'm now looking for a good antivirus too. I tried bitdefender products, but they modify windows 8 settings, and dont let to change it back, like hidden files, show known files types extensions and so on, so bitdefender products are out of question. Now i'm trying kaspersky products, will see how it goes. I started to look for another good antivirus, because microsoft security essentials is not good in catching viruses, that are trying to get inside my computer. And i'm trying better versions of antivirus - "internet security" programs, because they are the same antivirus, + some security for the internet, and 30 day trials are enough to test the products.
I go only to safe web pages too, but it's not a big deal, most important thing is viruses, trojans, worms and other kind of animals, that are trying to get inside your pc, one of them slipped through mse into my pc, disabled windows security center, disabled mse, and did few other little things, not a big deal actually, but still, it wasnt fun. So now i'm searching for the best antivirus product, with a simple first gen core i3 cpu and old ssd, every antivirus feels like it doesnt exist, so performance is not a problem.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    ljkhlj
@ startas: I would honestly recommend Kaspersky, it beats the others by a mile if you ask me. It's a bit aggressive at times, especially when you've just installed it and it is getting used to your habits. But things get easier as it goes along.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Computer type
    Laptop
    Lenovo G700
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Lenovo
    Memory
    6 GB DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 monitor
    Screen Resolution
    1600x900 (max)
    Hard Drives
    Case
    Lenovo
    Keyboard
    Lenovo
    Mouse
    Internet Speed
    Browser
    Antivirus
    Other Info
OK Thank You Very Much,

But I don't want Free Antivirus because my PC is connected to the internet for the whole day and I need A very powerful AV for my PC which will protect my PC from theft because there are many personal information stored on my PC and many other informations are there. So please can you suggest me a good premium antivirus. No matter whether it hogs system resource.

I was thinking about the following AntiVirus:-
=> Kaspersky PURE 3.0 Total Security
=> Quick Heal Total Security 2013

Which one would be better of these?

I have been using it for years now not the pure but the IS and have never had any issues so far

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 8 64 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Proline
    CPU
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 870 @ 2.93GHz
    Motherboard
    H55-G43(MS-7638)
    Memory
    4GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470
    Browser
    FireFox
    Antivirus
    Kaspersky
I test AV for a Fortune 5 company... Don't make the mistake of thinking that a free AV must not be as good as a paid AV... I use Microsoft Security Essentials (Win7)/Windows Defender (Win8) at home and they are both excellent. No AV is perfect and I also use MalWareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro and can highly recommend both of those. I CANNOT recommend any other free or paid AV as I've found serious issues with all of the other AV products I've tested. Many of the so-called "registry cleaners" and "protection programs" are scams and just a way of getting your $ into their pockets...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home built Intel i7-3770k-based system
    CPU
    Intel i7-3770k, Overclocked to 4.6GHz (46x100) with Corsair H110i GT cooler
    Motherboard
    ASRock Z77 OC Formula 2.30 BIOS
    Memory
    32GB DDR3 2133 Corsair Vengeance Pro
    Graphics Card(s)
    GeForce GTX 980ti SC ACS 6GB DDR5 by EVGA
    Sound Card
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD, Corsair SP2500 speakers and subwoofer
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG 27EA33 [Monitor] (27.2"vis) HDMI
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB (system drive)
    WD 6TB Red NAS hard drives x 2 in Storage Spaces (redundancy)
    PSU
    Corsair 750ax fully modular power supply with sleeved cables
    Case
    Corsair Air 540 with 7 x 140mm fans on front, rear and top panels
    Cooling
    Corsair H110i GT liquid cooled CPU with 4 x 140" Corsair SP "push-pull" and 3 x 140mm fans
    Keyboard
    Thermaltake Poseidon Z illuminated keyboard
    Mouse
    Corsair M65 wired
    Internet Speed
    85MBps DSL
    Browser
    Chrome and Edge
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, MalwareBytes Pro and CCleaner Pro
    Other Info
    Client of Windows Server 2012 R2 10 PC's, laptops and smartphones on the WLAN.

1GBps Ethernet ports
I really found the Paid version of Avast to be a little too overbearing. You will notice weird things like Windows Update will stop updating, and somethings will not download even after you say it's okay. If you want a ROCK solid computer with a few limitations, then this is perfect, but for the rest of us who actually want to use our computers for things, the free version is actually much better!! (wow, I don't think i have ever said that before)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dustbuster Special
    CPU
    AMD 8350
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth 3.0
    Memory
    24 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte 670 Windforce
    Monitor(s) Displays
    4 monitors
    Hard Drives
    Two Samsung 840 SSDs, and 1 Hitachi 1 TB HDD
    PSU
    Fata1ity 850w
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF (The big one)
    Cooling
    Crapload of fans!
    Keyboard
    Corsair Vengence K90
    Mouse
    R.A.T. 7
    Internet Speed
    85/45
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast (well, used to be before 8.1)
    Other Info
    My machine is pretty dope. I would like to thank my wife for playing dumb over the last year as I spend copious amount of money on it.
I used Kaspersky for about a year and the good thing about Kaspersky is it has an OFF BUTTON!! When you find yourself being limited by your AV you can click it off, accomplish your task, then turn it back on. (quickly mind you)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Dustbuster Special
    CPU
    AMD 8350
    Motherboard
    ASUS Sabertooth 3.0
    Memory
    24 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    Gigabyte 670 Windforce
    Monitor(s) Displays
    4 monitors
    Hard Drives
    Two Samsung 840 SSDs, and 1 Hitachi 1 TB HDD
    PSU
    Fata1ity 850w
    Case
    Cooler Master HAF (The big one)
    Cooling
    Crapload of fans!
    Keyboard
    Corsair Vengence K90
    Mouse
    R.A.T. 7
    Internet Speed
    85/45
    Browser
    Firefox
    Antivirus
    Avast (well, used to be before 8.1)
    Other Info
    My machine is pretty dope. I would like to thank my wife for playing dumb over the last year as I spend copious amount of money on it.
Hi there
the best answer for windows 8 and 8.1 is actually NONE -- the built in system is quite good enough. (For HOME - not Corporate solutions).

Also beware of any reports comparing effectiveness of one AV vs another -- these are always written maybe be up to TWO months behind and as you all know a new virus / piece of malware etc can appear at ANY TIME so the statistics you actually read are totally not valid on the date you are reading them.

Most HOME AV software is a WASTE OF MONEY and totally not needed with Windows 8 / 8.1 -- but it's your money -- so by all means help more Russian software guys to buy Billionaire homes in Central London if you want. (Nothing wrong with a lot of Russian software BTW BUT PAYING FOR STUFF YOU DON'T NEED IMO IS A BIT SILLY). W7 of course has a different security system but I'm referring to W8 / W8.1 here.

In any case your best protection is actually YOU believe it or not and most computer crime comes from people giving away too much personal data over social media sites and opening email attachments from unknown sources.

Cheers
jimbo

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Linux Centos 7, W8.1, W7, W2K3 Server W10
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Monitor(s) Displays
    1 X LG 40 inch TV
    Hard Drives
    SSD's * 3 (Samsung 840 series) 250 GB