What we are REALLY getting with Windows 8

Here's a cute little trick. Try it out.
With no Start menu in Windows 8, how do you find all the applications you have installed? The Metro apps will display their tiles, but what about the non-Metro programs? Here's how to see a list of them:
  1. Hold down the Windows logo key and press F.
  2. Click Apps.
  3. In the displayed list of apps and applications (in alphabetical order), you can either launch a program by clicking it, or you can pin it to the Metro screen so you'll get to it more easily the next time.
  4. OK, now we have this screen open scroll thru ALL those programs running, and find "System Information" click on it go to "Services" now look for the "Microsoft Store", you will notice it is turned off (g), go ahead and right click, and turn it on. Go on, and "Windows" shop, lots of cool things to see. (To bad we can't purchase anything yet.)

What build version did you have when trying this? because i have 8102 and there's no service called microsoft store. all i can see disabled is: internet connectio sharing, Net. Tcp Port sharing service, SmartCard and Routing and remote acces.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium / Commodore OS Vision / Windows 8 Release preview
    CPU
    AMD Athlon x2 Dual Core 7750 BE 2,7Ghz (2/4)
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    GIGABYTE (ATI) Radeon HD 6870 (1Gb)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    3 fans + psu and cpu + gpu
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
    Look, what i've created... just a few visits at the recyclement center was enough...
I'm using the same build. With updates

system.jpg

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
ok, i've enabled it, but when i opes store it says stilla that the store is not available in the developer preview :(

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
    Look, what i've created... just a few visits at the recyclement center was enough...
Here is another shot (picture) of the Microsoft Store (Look at the URL to see it is active. (Viewing purposes ONLY)).

MS_Store.png

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
android 4 or some vanilla kernel is out on the samsung nexus.

Existing phones will not be LTE capable as due to hardware. The HTC Radar 4G is LTE ready. The Nokia Lumia 900 when it arrives will be LTE ready. The HTC Titan II will be LTE ready. The point is is that the WP7 has matured further since it's a wholy different OS from iOS or knockoffs. Skype doesn't work with WP since Microsoft recently aquired them. The next major update will have that, even then, there's an app that does that already for WP7.

You'd be crazy to think they'd scrap it. 2012 is the year of metro. 2012 is the year of Windows 8. 2012 is the year of the Windows Phone.

Anyways, yes, I'd like to discuss Windows 8...

First of all, you need to be very careful with WP7. If the rumors are true, MS may orphan this OS. As you know, the current crop of Win8 "Metro" apps are not compatible with WP7 (and vice versa). If MS moves the phone OS to the Win8 code base, then WP7 will be an orphan. This is quite likely to happen.

I have the feeling that this would definitely happen. MS cannot and would not maintain two shops with incompatible applications. Thus, I am afraid that WP7 will not be with us for too long!!!

OH! I thought you meant Microsoft ditching Windows Phone altogether! What will happen is yeah, the CE kernel of Windows Phone will be scrapped in deference of the NT kernel of Windows 8. There will be app problems, but chances are that the apps for Windows 8 will translate just fine for Windows Phone 8. All is swell!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
I'm really hoping to see a better PC Settings panel on a Desktop. To me, having a metro panel and a desktop panel causes a complete abrupt interface change that isn't fluid system wide. I'd want to see PC Settings windowed, metro designed, but more comprehensive like a desktop control panel. The metro PC Settings app should have the same thing done for tablets as well.

Also, there's this feature that comes with the Microsoft Touch Mouse that is the bomb. Instant Viewer. That would make power users pee their pants! What it does is takes ALL your active windows and puts them on a blackwashed desktop and it shows just the content of those windows. You can instantly view everything. I'd love to see a touch gesture for that on tablets and maybe a keyboard shortcut for desktops. Maybe Win + tab or alt.

Your wishes (expressed by great number of Windows fans) are unlikely to happen. Win8 is a mobile OS that runs the desktop as just another task (until the desktop disappears, I guess). It runs all applications in full screen and manages them in the background without user input. This behavior is typical of all mobile OSs. Now, if it is given the capabilities you want on the desktop, then this would mean a different Win8 for desktops and a different Win8 for tablets and phones. Essentially, the same dichotomy that exists between OSX and iOS or Android and Linux. For some reason, MS wants to have the same code base from phones to large desktops which means that large desktops will operate like huge, oversized phones.

When you minimize a window in Windows, it keeps that program running in the background unless you close it. Chances are that Windows 8 will have a way to manage full screen apps just like Windows. Probably will be like the Windows Phone 7 task switcher and killer.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
When you minimize a window in Windows, it keeps that program running in the background unless you close it. Chances are that Windows 8 will have a way to manage full screen apps just like Windows. Probably will be like the Windows Phone 7 task switcher and killer.

Hoping against all hope. This is an OS for phones and tablets and can never become a desktop OS. It is already too brain-damaged for this.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    windows 7
OK peeps, just finished talking to the Microsoft store. THEY didn't even know there will/would be a Window's Store tile in Windows 8.
Let alone even tell me if they have any Windows 8 Metro software yet.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
How to activate facial recognition?

My Computer

System One

• OS
    attempting to run Windows Consumer Preview
    CPU
    Intel Pentium dual-core E6700 @ 3.20 GHz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte G41MT-D3V
    Memory
    4,00 GB
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer A221HQL
    Screen Resolution
    1920X1080
    Hard Drives
    Primary Seagate Baracuda 7200, 1000GB
    External: WD 2000GB, WD 8000GB, HP 16000GB
ADRz said
Hoping against all hope. This is an OS for phones and tablets and can never become a desktop OS. It is already too brain-damaged for this.
I said that months ago. The Metro interface reveals that.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
sure that metro ui turns your computer to tablet / phone os / newb os (wait what?) / toy
but, we can all say, that it looks quite cool anyway.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
Wow, I never realized the Windows Store is a service that can be enabled or disabled! :what:

Well then, that solves the question on whether or not Windows 8 will be good for the enterprise sector since app stores are frowned upon in the enterprise setting. A simple disabling can be done.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
I believe that comapnies will keep using windows 7, since the metro style start menu is more for home usage. just like the Xp's new start menu. I have never seen them in my school computers, never in any office. i believe that windows 8 will not even have these 'ultimate' or 'busines' or 'home premium' i just think that W8 will be only for homes (and servers maybe)

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
We usually don't get a chance to us the Professional version of Windows, Microsoft keeps that for in-house testing, and at certain
corporate level testers. I am also testing the latest version of Windows server as well as Windows 8. Requirements for that is having
a Server, and not just a PC to do the testing on. You can find information on that at Microsoft Products Accepting Bugs and Suggestions | Microsoft Connect once you sign up, you will be sent a invitation code, then take that code back to that site and put the code in, and download the latest beta server O/S.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8 pro Retail
All I feel that we are gaining, is a modified Windows 7 with apps. But I'm not going to judge until beta, so you know.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro, Mac OS X Mavericks (Hackintosh), Ubuntu 14.04
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Custom (Mostly Asus)
    CPU
    Intel i7 - 4 Core 8 Thread 3.4 GHz
    Motherboard
    ASUS P8Z77-V LK
    Memory
    16GB RipJaw
    Graphics Card(s)
    Nvidia ASUS GTX770
    Sound Card
    None
    Monitor(s) Displays
    23.5"
    Screen Resolution
    1920x1080
    Hard Drives
    500GB (Windows 8.1 Pro)
    500GB (Mac OS X Mavericks Hackintosh)
    80GB (Ubuntu 14.04)
    Browser
    Google Chrome
    Antivirus
    AVG 2014 Business Edition
I believe that comapnies will keep using windows 7, since the metro style start menu is more for home usage. just like the Xp's new start menu. I have never seen them in my school computers, never in any office. i believe that windows 8 will not even have these 'ultimate' or 'busines' or 'home premium' i just think that W8 will be only for homes (and servers maybe)
I think xp was more enterprise because vista was geared more for consumers, and geared more for people that were to buy new PCs. There's some speculation Windows 8 will just only be Windows 8, not Home Premium or the such. I think that would be great because there wouldn't be any question of features, or any need to have OSs that have a random feature only some people would use.

Honestly, I would install Windows 8 in schools, especially if they had xp on them. Why? Mainly better, efficient use of hardware over Windows 7. From an IT admin's standpoint, I'd rather see a seven year old machine running a new OS that looks prettier and can have window color changes made other than pastel blue, than to buy a new machine, bleh! :sick:

Also, it's a huge change. Windows became heavily used everywhere partly because people had used Windows at work, that came into the home. There was no interface change. By getting people used to Windows 8, they can buy a new PC or upgrade to Windows 8 without having to deal with an older Windows OS when at work. And also, there are new performance and security features that outweigh Windows 7 and definitely xp.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
Also, it's a huge change. Windows became heavily used everywhere partly because people had used Windows at work, that came into the home. There was no interface change. By getting people used to Windows 8, they can buy a new PC or upgrade to Windows 8 without having to deal with an older Windows OS when at work. And also, there are new performance and security features that outweigh Windows 7 and definitely xp.
Windows 8 did have a significant change on bootup and shutdown than Windows 7 and I hope this gets even better. What do you mean no interface change? Metro was a huge change to the interface.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Developer Preview, Linux Mint 9
    Custom Built
Agree. It significantly faster than Win 7. I have mine booting up done in 18 to 25 second. When shuts down, it just says "shutting down" couple seconds an the screen goes blank (means off). But, Is there any of you guys notice as what I observe on all my three PCs and laptop that though the screen goes off, the CPU is still running on the shut down process almost around another ten seconds before the real shut down. I don't know, is it kind of trick to make it look much faster?

On my win 7 the screen goes off together with the CPU.

Just curious.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    Home Built system
    CPU
    Core i5
    Motherboard
    Intel DH55PJ
    Memory
    4 GB
    Graphics Card(s)
    ATI 4650
    Sound Card
    Realtek HD Integrated
    Monitor(s) Displays
    LG Flatron L1742S; LG Flatron 19"; Samsung TV 48"
    Screen Resolution
    1280:1024; 1366:768;1920:1080
    Hard Drives
    SSD 256 GB
    Seagate Barracuda 500 GB
    WDC 1 TB
    PSU
    Power
    Case
    Simbadda
    Cooling
    Conventional
    Keyboard
    Logitech Wireless
    Mouse
    Logitech Wireless
    Internet Speed
    1.4 MBPS
    Other Info
    External HDD WDC 2 TB
    Dial Up Modem Huawei
    Home-made Home Theater
what i've seen, when the screen goes off, the cpu turns also off, only some little services are shutting down. only the fans are spinning just for a few seconds after that. expect that for some reason my computer doesn't shut down anymore... it just stays on, and the cpu is off, but the computer is running...

My Computer

System One

• OS
    CPU
    Motherboard
    Asus M2N-e
    Memory
    4Gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    Sound Card
    Do i have one?
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Screen Resolution
    1x HD1080 1x SXGA
    Hard Drives
    1x Samsung 500 Gb
    1x Samsung 30 Gb
    1x LaCie 1Tb Hard drive.
    PSU
    Antec 500W
    Case
    Antec three hundred
    Cooling
    Keyboard
    Logitech G19
    Mouse
    CM Storm Xornet
    Internet Speed
    110mb/ s
    Other Info
Back