What to do if Windows 8 Release Preview won't install

Some users have bumped into installation errors with the latest flavor of Windows 8. Microsoft says you may need to tweak or update your BIOS to solve the issue.

Have any of you tried to install the new Windows 8 Release Preview only to face the message: "Your PC's CPU isn't compatible with Windows 8."

If so, the solution to the problem may lie in your computer's BIOS.

Read more at:
What to do if Windows 8 Release Preview won't install | Microsoft - CNET News

When first seeing the freeze ups in the RP it got where the desktop locked up fast right when clicking the desktop button and waiting for the loading of Windows to finish only to see the pinned WE or IE shortcut flash but do nothing! Then when going to use the Refresh PC option now seen in for reinstalling 8 without a reformat packing things into the Windows.old folder it added a new boot entry for 7 in automatically where once again I used EasyBCD to move the 7 entry above the one for 8 and resetting 7 as default.

The move there also provided a look at how the new boot options screen looks and how 8 handles dual boots. Then 7 started acting up in the exact same way where I said "wtf" is this crap?!

I then scheduled a run of the Check Disk tool after a few hard boots and things cleared right up in 7 before changing the bios setting. And that's where 8 failed to adjust seeing the two OS drives converted to SCSI devices while 7 is still running strong!

That's what I call "buggy"! The look at the BlueScreenView program by chance revealed the "ntoskmi.exe" error being the end result of having seen 7 added as a boot option first by EasyBCD and then by the refresh of 8! You know that also indicated another clean install of the RP would be needed to clean up the mess while the 7 host drive was offline! to keep both isolated as far as BCD stores and boot sectors!

My Computer

System One

• OS
    1st W10 Professional x64/W7 Ultimate x64 - 2nd Remote system: W10 Insider Builds/W7 Professional
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    Custom Builds
    CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 975 Deneb 3.6ghz -2nd case AMD Atholon II 3.2ghz
    Motherboard
    Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
    Memory
    Kingston Hyper-X DDR3 1600mhz 16gb - 2nd case Kingston Hyper-X "Fury" DDR3 1600mhz 8gb
    Graphics Card(s)
    MSI Radeon HD 5750 1gb - 2nd AMD Radeon 6450
    Sound Card
    Creative Xtreme Gamer - 2nd case Realtek Onboard audio
    Monitor(s) Displays
    Acer 19" dual monitor setup - 2nd case HP 20" lcd
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900 same on both builds
    Hard Drives
    1st build
    WD Caviar Black Edition Sata II 1tb two OS drives
    WD RE "Heavy Duty Sata II 2tb two Storage/Backup
    2nd build
    WD Blue Sata II 500gb
    WD Black Edition Sata III 1tb
    WD Green Power Sata II 1tb in external usb enclosure
    PSU
    Corsair TX750H 750w -Corsair 500w
    Case
    Antec 900-2 -NXZT Vulcan Mini tower/carrying handle
    Cooling
    120mm front pair, 120 rear 200cm top - 120mm Front intake 200mm side cover
    Keyboard
    Azio Blue led back lit both builds.
    Mouse
    MSI DS200 11 button programmable Gaming optical mouse - Odessa 3 button dual scroll trackball
    Internet Speed
    30mbps
    Other Info
    two MSI 22x ide dvd burners, 25 usb flash drives used for Linux Live, live data recovery 128gb, and Windows 7, 10 usb installation keys
Back