What to buy?!

Phablets, unlike tablet PCs, are meant for the "go" and used for simple menial tasks. Tablet PCs, which have been around since the days of xp, are meant for working on the go and the menial tasks. This is the distinction that really needs to be understood first. An x86 based tablet PC isn't meant for web browsing, it's meant for things like iTunes, VLC player (until the WinRT app is released apparently in March), Photoshop, AutoCAD, VMs (depending on the processor of course), and every other traditional Desktop app that can't be used on phablets. A smartphone is carried on you daily and you use it for mostly menial tasks like email, texting, calling, and some light web browsing with some apps. This is the VERY SAME concept with the ipad and android phablets, they take a smartphone OS, blow it up to a 10 inch screen, uninstall the phone and text apps, and call it revolutionary.

I generally refer to Windows 8 tablets as tablet PCs, as the device literally is both a tablet and PC.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
Tablets or "phablets" are meant for browsing,multimedia , gaming. Tho Tablet pc's are going to be used with a mix of the metro ui and desktop. The windows store lacks a lot of popular apps found on "phablet's market" . Such as the essential sports like Need for speed, Madden, Fifa and other ea sports games.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8
Tablets or "phablets" are meant for browsing,multimedia , gaming. Tho Tablet pc's are going to be used with a mix of the metro ui and desktop. The windows store lacks a lot of popular apps found on "phablet's market" . Such as the essential sports like Need for speed, Madden, Fifa and other ea sports games.

Ahh, this is where the conflicting identities crop up. The critics point out the lack of apps like facebook or twitter (there are third party, not first) on Windows 8. See, the thing is though, if you use Windows 8 on a 23 inch monitor it's superfluous to have a facebook app (unless if the app filters out the idiotic and superfluous advertising and awful page suggestions then it's worth it if you're that person). But, the thing about apps on android and ios is simply that they're smartphone platforms. When you browse the interweb with either platform, the web server will detect the browser and OS version and display the proper view, usually the mobile variant. The two platforms have browser options to render the Desktop or Mobile versions, Windows 8 on the other hand does not have that option. It packs two IE versions, both based off the Desktop browser and detected as a Desktop browser and not mobile if you're on a tablet PC. Those apps like facebook and twitter and youtube (why this one is needed is beyond me because Windows 8 has Flash player embedded into IE unlike safari or chrome on ios or android) aren't terribly needed. You can rather easily browse both with touch, maybe zoom to 125% but works real fine. Maybe though, you'd want notifications and lock screen apps, but again you'd probably be using a tablet PC on the go, not a desktop, probably a laptop.

This is why Windows 8 can actually do without certain apps because it's not a phablet OS, not detected as such, and packs a real decent Desktop based browser. I'd be pissed if I had to use the mobile site of youtube on an ipad, but that's what it does on the ipad by default...

But other main apps and games do need to come over though. They will, in time.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows 8.1 Pro
    Computer type
    PC/Desktop
    System Manufacturer/Model
    ASUS
    CPU
    AMD FX 8320
    Motherboard
    Crosshair V Formula-Z
    Memory
    16 gig DDR3
    Graphics Card(s)
    ASUS R9 270
    Screen Resolution
    1440x900
    Hard Drives
    1 TB Seagate Barracuda (starting to hate Seagate)
    x2 3 TB Toshibas
    Windows 8.1 is installed on a SanDisk Ultra Plus 256 GB
    PSU
    OCZ 500 watt
    Case
    A current work in progres as I'll be building the physical case myself. It shall be fantastic.
    Cooling
    Arctic Cooler with 3 heatpipes
    Keyboard
    Logitech K750 wireless solar powered keyboard
    Mouse
    Microsoft Touch Mouse
    Browser
    Internet Explorer 11
    Antivirus
    Windows Defender, but I might go back on KIS 2014
It sounds as if you're beginning to agree that, for the desktop, the Windows 8 default interface isn't exactly ideal, given that the desktop has all the required features to do what the apps do and a lot better in many cases.

My Computer

System One

• OS
    Windows Phone 6, Windows CE 5, Windows Vista x32, Windows 7 x32/x64, Windows 8 x64
Back